Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Irish Joe missed a trick by not watching the last episode of Rick and Morty and posting about that in here instead.

To be honest, I don't know how I feel about the attempted child rape scene or its aftermath. On the one hand, I think the attempted rape itself was very effective both in presentation and in getting its message across. On the other hand, I think whatever power the scene had was undercut at the end of the episode when Rick killed the rapist. Its hard to reconcile the views that the world is unpredictable and dangerous with the idea that bad people will get their comeuppance because while the former is true, the latter is not. The message would have been a lot more consistent if the rapist wasn't killed, though I understand why it needed to be done. As dark as R&M can be, its not that dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe is right this time.

Using Styx is inexcusable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm a big fan of overzealously defending shows but yeah in ten years at best people will remember shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

In 10 years most of the jokes on Community won't even make sense. Certainly in 20 years. Society in case you haven't been watching is changing at hyper speeds now compared to the changes from 1994 to now (which are already fairly big).

Then there's the likelihood of simple media oversaturation to the point where only awkward weird hipsters even watch anything more than a year old.

Oh wait that's already true.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

precision posted:

in ten years at best people will remember shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

People already don't remember Mad Men, let alone in ten years.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Irish Joe posted:

Dear television,

We have a problem. No less than four sitcoms* this week ended with a touching montage played over some ridiculously lovely song. There were no jokes during these montages, no storylines were advanced and we didn't learn anything new about the characters. They were, in other words, utterly pointless. I watch sitcoms to laugh and generally have a good time and when you devote 25% of a show's runtime to sub-Lilith Fair warbling I'm not laughing or having a good time--I'm just bored. Please stop using musical montages as a crutch. Do your job and write jokes. Put your characters into humorous situations that have to be resolved in humorous ways. Be funny, because that's why people watch you.

Sincerely,
Television Viewer

*Mindy Project, Trophy Wife, Community & The Neighbors.

I really don't understand why the Mindy Project bothers with its more serious/dramatic moments. They've shown they're willing to end Mindy's long-term relationships in, like, 30 seconds, so there's no point in getting invested in one of them shockingly ending. The joke-writing on the show is strong, but I can't imagine anyone caring deeply enough about the characters to be satisfied by the Emotional Heft of, like, Danny reconciling with his dad or whatever.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

If you think any show is going to be remembered 10 years from now then you are naive beyond imagination.

Everything is already in motion.

It's very hard for a show to get to the level where it's remembered fondly for years to come like MASH or Twilight Zone. Community isn't ever going to sniff that threshold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seinfeld was the last timeless comedy. I don't think there is one more recent than that. The shows either have the timeless humor but not a big enough audience to stick (P&R, 30 Rock, etc) or have the audience but no timeless humor (your 2.5 Men and whatever else the proles watch).

Realistically I could see Archer being pretty timeless, Always Sunny is a toss up because they do crutch on topical humor sometimes (though I reckon The DENNIS System is timeless), and I would like Wilfred to go down as a fantastic work of art but it seems to have dropped way low on the radar with season 3 so who knows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trast posted:

It's very hard for a show to get to the level where it's remembered fondly for years to come like MASH or Twilight Zone. Community isn't ever going to sniff that threshold.

I think Community will be remembered, mostly for the whole thing about how Harmon was kicked off the show and then asked back after a season without him.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

muscles like this? posted:

I think Community will be remembered, mostly for the whole thing about how Harmon was kicked off the show and then asked back after a season without him.

No one outside of hard core hollywood insider news followers are going to know or care about that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

New AMC spy show looks really dreadful. I loved reading the premise but this looks like a high school play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-q_lPaaWqU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

New AMC spy show looks really dreadful. I loved reading the premise but this looks like a high school play.

Oh it looks fine. I'll give it at least a few episodes.

Then again I think Black Sails looks fine too, so perhaps I shouldn't be listened to.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

I... no?

It looks like a Revolutionary-era period drama on a decent cable TV budget.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only saw a few episodes of Sleepy Hollow and I think it looked way better, though stylized.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Oh it looks fine. I'll give it at least a few episodes.

Then again I think Black Sails looks fine too, so perhaps I shouldn't be listened to.

Black Sails looks really good, but I don't want to get my expectations too high.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

precision posted:

In 10 years most of the jokes on Community won't even make sense. Certainly in 20 years. Society in case you haven't been watching is changing at hyper speeds now compared to the changes from 1994 to now (which are already fairly big).

While the jokes may not "make sense" in 10 years time, I don't think it will be "dated". It will be looked as a product of it's era- but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

precision posted:

Seinfeld was the last timeless comedy. I don't think there is one more recent than that. The shows either have the timeless humor but not a big enough audience to stick (P&R, 30 Rock, etc) or have the audience but no timeless humor (your 2.5 Men and whatever else the proles watch).

Realistically I could see Archer being pretty timeless, Always Sunny is a toss up because they do crutch on topical humor sometimes (though I reckon The DENNIS System is timeless), and I would like Wilfred to go down as a fantastic work of art but it seems to have dropped way low on the radar with season 3 so who knows.

Curb Your Enthusiasm's humour/style will still be working. because it's similar to Seinfeld in that regard. Archer is a great example because the show itself is chronologically confused and it's a mish-mash of the 50's and present day technology. Sunny will definitely still be funny in ten years time. Will it still be edgy? That's up for debate.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Joramun posted:

People already don't remember Mad Men, let alone in ten years.

Haha, whatever Glee boy. And people say that I'm a bad poster.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

BarbarousBertha posted:

Dennis Cry-sings Jewel was amazing. :qq:

Oh my god as a huge fan, is there a clip of this on YooToob?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VorpalBunny posted:

Are those the guys from Breaking Bad? Because I would watch those guys walk around a mall for an hour each week.

Did anyone else catch Cheri Oteri on Bravo a few weeks ago. I seriously did not recognize her.

Wow, did she have work done or something?

Irish Joe posted:

Dear television,

We have a problem. No less than four sitcoms* this week ended with a touching montage played over some ridiculously lovely song. There were no jokes during these montages, no storylines were advanced and we didn't learn anything new about the characters. They were, in other words, utterly pointless. I watch sitcoms to laugh and generally have a good time and when you devote 25% of a show's runtime to sub-Lilith Fair warbling I'm not laughing or having a good time--I'm just bored. Please stop using musical montages as a crutch. Do your job and write jokes. Put your characters into humorous situations that have to be resolved in humorous ways. Be funny, because that's why people watch you.

Sincerely,
Television Viewer

*Mindy Project, Trophy Wife, Community & The Neighbors.

Doesn't Mindy Project regularly employ Themes Explained By Main Character Via Voiceover? You really shouldn't be expecting a lot more from that one.
Community just seems to be in a bit of a holding pattern, after a great first couple episodes it seems like the only character development in general this season is "leaving for good due to dying" or "leaving for good due to another character dying."

precision posted:

You just reminded me that I never got through all of season 3 of Wilfred. I got about halfway through and was just so utterly bored by every episode being "Wilfred teaches Ryan some kind of profound life lesson by being a tremendous poo poo and ruining his day."

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 26, 2014

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

raditts posted:

Community just seems to be in a bit of a holding pattern, after a great first couple episodes it seems like the only character development in general this season is "leaving for good due to dying" or "leaving for good due to another character dying."

I honestly don't know if you're joking or not. Are you seriously suggesting a show is in a holding pattern (of two episodes) because two of it's main cast left and they felt they should address that? On top of that the last couple of episodes have been fantastic so I don't understand the complaint. I could be being an idiot and you're actually joking but this is Community so who knows.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Paradox Personified posted:

Oh my god as a huge fan, is there a clip of this on YooToob?

Not that I could find without being links to :filez:

Are you in a Hulu friendly region or use Hola or whatever? http://www.hulu.com/watch/585717 It starts around the 16 minute mark.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
so i am house sitting this week for my aunt and uncle, who apparently have the entire collection of House M.D. on DVD.

Is this worth watching?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

so i am house sitting this week for my aunt and uncle, who apparently have the entire collection of House M.D. on DVD.

Is this worth watching?

Sure, if you like Hugh Laurie. He's literally the only reason to watch beyond the first couple seasons. But he's a great reason to watch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Is this worth watching?

There's not a whole lot of depth to it, but yeah, if medical procedurals and/or Hugh Laurie being a wiseass sounds like your thing, let it rip. Don't be shock if you start to burn out on it, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As medical procedurals go, House is probably the most tolerable. I somehow stuck with it for all 8 seasons as it was airing, but by the end I couldn't wait for it to be over. I'm honestly not sure if I could make it through the entire run watched on a basis other than week to week.

That said there's a lot good and fun about it and since you're killing time you might as well just watch until you get bored with it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Is this worth watching?

It's a good show that showcases Hugh Laurie but towards the end the show runs out of steam. But what show that is on eight seasons can't have that said about them?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Trast posted:

It's a good show that showcases Hugh Laurie but towards the end the show runs out of steam. But what show that is on eight seasons can't have that said about them?

How I Met Your Mother and Doctor Who.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You absolutely can't say HIMYM ran out of steam at the end of it's run, this is true.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
And as for Doctor Who, I think a show that has literally never kept a cast member for more than five years in a row or so, even when it's by design, can also be an exception to the general statement about shows running out of steam.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trast posted:

Supernatural, Psych (although the last 2 episodes there have been weak actually.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trast posted:

Out of its 20 seasons, the original Law & Order only has one year (Season 17) that's nearly unwatchable, but everything else is pretty rock-solid.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Trast posted:

American Dad gets pretty consistently great halfway through the first season.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Always Sunny has been pretty drat funny for its entire run. It helps that they can just do whatever ridiculous story they want since the core of the show is just "a bunch of idiots that own a bar but don't have to actually work".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Stanfield posted:

I honestly don't know if you're joking or not. Are you seriously suggesting a show is in a holding pattern (of two episodes) because two of it's main cast left and they felt they should address that? On top of that the last couple of episodes have been fantastic so I don't understand the complaint. I could be being an idiot and you're actually joking but this is Community so who knows.

You are an idiot, but because you're unable to understand context, not any of that other stuff you wrote.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

What context? I'm genuinely asking here, because I don't see how any context could make calling two episodes with extraneous circumstances a holding pattern make sense. I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just confused :confused:.

Fake Edit: Unless you're calling the whole season so far a holding pattern in which case I guess I just disagree but whatever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
House owns, musical montages at the end of sitcoms are all Scrubs' fault, House seriously owns, watch House.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Stanfield posted:

What context? I'm genuinely asking here, because I don't see how any context could make calling two episodes with extraneous circumstances a holding pattern make sense. I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just confused :confused:.

I was talking in terms of character development. I haven't really cared for episodes 3-5 of this season in general, but that's not what I was referring to.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The first two or three seasons of House are pretty good. And the beginning of season 4 with the game that introduces Olivia Wilde and Kal Penn is pretty fun, too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
House is great up until about season 6, at which point it becomes spotty, but there are flashes of greatness, and the finale is fantastic.

edit: Actually, now that I think back on it, Season 4 is the best season of House, because it shakes things up, introduces a couple great new characters, and has the single best episode of the series (Wilson's Heart).

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 26, 2014

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

raditts posted:

I was talking in terms of character development. I haven't really cared for episodes 3-5 of this season in general, but that's not what I was referring to.

No I got that part. I guess I just don't see a problem with having a couple of episodes with similar character focus, considering the situation. I felt there was enough of a difference that it didn't really bother me, not nearly as much as it would have if they'd chosen to ignore Chevy leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

You just reminded me that I never got through all of season 3 of Wilfred. I got about halfway through and was just so utterly bored by every episode being "Wilfred teaches Ryan some kind of profound life lesson by being a tremendous poo poo and ruining his day."

Oh yeah, the show definitely fell into a rut, which was especially bad coming after season 2, which I consider nearly flawless.

• Locked thread