Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whatever you feel about the new movie we can all agree that this RoboCup is awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Whatever you feel about the new movie we can all agree that this RoboCup is awesome:

"Dead or alive, you're coming with tea."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where the gently caress do I buy that?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Steve Yun posted:

Your move, crepe.

1) Serve the public lunch
2) Protect the blintz.
3) Uphold the bearclaw.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Castor Poe posted:

Clip #2 - RoboCop wakes up in a Mass Effect video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrpriz6IwWI

This clip was a bit overlooked, but it was the first thing I've seen so far that I actually liked. Visually, it's pretty amazing. I love the way it goes from Alex dancing with his wife, to Oldman trying to wake him up. Too early to tell if there's any subtext here, but I liked it. Good clip!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Steve Yun posted:

Part man
Part machine
All cup

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Yun posted:

I.....LIKE IT!

(Seriously, where can I buy one?)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

echoplex posted:

The only thing that I feel is really missing in the ED209 clip is Weller's presence, his delivery of words as robocop combined with his accent is fantastic.

His voice is so human. Ugh.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 25, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PaganGoatPants posted:

His voice is so human. Ugh.

Once again, the new Robocop is OCP trying to humanize drones. They don't want him to sound like a robot. Him sounding human is kinda the point.

Could we all stop doing this "Ugh it's not like the original, that makes it automatically bad" poo poo? Please?

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 25, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

Once again, the new Robocop is OCP trying to humanize drones. They don't want him to sound like a robot.

Could we all stop doing this "Ugh it's not like the original, that makes it automatically bad" poo poo? Please?

I never said anything about it being automatically bad. The action looks good, but it would've been cooler if he were more robotic, but if they explain WHY in the movie then :shrug:. I know why he has a human hand because they want a human hand to pull the trigger.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah, it's probably going to be bad for other reasons altogether.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
RoboCup's wholesale only right now, no retail yet.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 26, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Now why am I in such a good robocop mood? Because I just got my confirmation email that the Neca ED-209 I overed back in June shipped today.

Not my pic but it looks like this, going to put it on the shelf with my Auto 9.

You should check into this, the flex pay system even makes it easily affordable.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/robocop-ed-209-hot-toys-902058/

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Robocop was and is a very very funny movie. Is this new one going to be serious and lovely like Total Recall?

People just don't get that Verhoevens movies are satires.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WYA posted:

Robocop was and is a very very funny movie. Is this new one going to be serious and lovely like Total Recall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu76PrcoQDg

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And Gary Oldman's character got on a plane to Shenzhen, China that afternoon. That's one of the single most famous stories ever passed around about Steve Jobs and the iPhone launch.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

api call girl posted:

And Gary Oldman's character got on a plane to Shenzhen, China that afternoon. That's one of the single most famous stories ever passed around about Steve Jobs and the iPhone launch.

That's actually a Tim Cook story

quote:

Tim cook arrived at Apple in 1998 from Compaq Computer. He was a 16-year computer-industry veteran - he'd worked for IBM for 12 of those years - with a mandate to clean up the atrocious state of Apple's manufacturing, distribution, and supply apparatus. One day back then, he convened a meeting with his team, and the discussion turned to a particular problem in Asia.

"This is really bad," Cook told the group. "Someone should be in China driving this." Thirty minutes into that meeting Cook looked at Sabih Khan, a key operations executive, and abruptly asked, without a trace of emotion, "Why are you still here?"

Khan, who remains one of Cook's top lieutenants to this day, immediately stood up, drove to San Francisco International Airport, and, without a change of clothes, booked a flight to China with no return date, according to people familiar with the episode.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

That's actually a Tim Cook story

Google around for the iPhone plastic screen Steve Jobs story, it's beat for beat the same story.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The reason the original suit works so much better is because of how it breaks up important parts of the human silhouette through some pretty genius shape and color work. Look at how the shoulders stick out OVER the top of the torso sections. The black/metal color scheme is really important to pulling this off. And then all of this is backed up by smart lightning and camera angle choices. AND they did it in a suit that "worked" every day on set without CGI.

Now look at this poo poo:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I haven't seen the movie, but clearly that is a prototype of some kind. Perhaps some art designer decided it should look bulky and unwieldy? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I'd say it's more likely an actually shooting suit before some serious CGI editing and cleanup.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Slim Killington posted:

RoboCop's wholesale only right now, no retail yet.

At least one site is selling them.
http://www.gadgetgrotto.com/robocup

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

You should check into this, the flex pay system even makes it easily affordable.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/robocop-ed-209-hot-toys-902058/

That's not the same figure by the way. The one posted above is from NECA, and it's about 60 bucks in total. It's also around 10 inches at the max. Give or take.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I know? That's why I said he should check that one out by Hot Toys. The figure is 1:6 scale (goes with their 12" Robocop coming out later).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My mistake sir. I thought you were trying to sell him on the HT ED instead of the NECA one. Haha.

But it is a beaut. Don't know if I can afford it though. I would at least like to try and get their new RoboCop, it's incredible.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've preordered the Hot Toys RoboCop with the chair, but I don't think I'll get the ED-209. I have the Keaton Batman but could never justify buying the Batmobile. I don't have room for this poo poo as it is, so the really big stuff is out of the question.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AlternateAccount posted:

The reason the original suit works so much better is because of how it breaks up important parts of the human silhouette through some pretty genius shape and color work. Look at how the shoulders stick out OVER the top of the torso sections. The black/metal color scheme is really important to pulling this off. And then all of this is backed up by smart lightning and camera angle choices. AND they did it in a suit that "worked" every day on set without CGI.

Now look at this poo poo:

The Robocop design in the original had a goal: to visually communicate how inhuman he was.

The design of Robocop in the new film has different goals for a different story. OCP is marketing this as the rescue of a first responder, they want to play up how much of him they were able to save, and it makes sense that as the design is updated, it looks more and more like a human silhouette.

This is why getting rid of Murphy's arm in the original film is important, and why saving it is important to this new film.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Steve Yun posted:

The Robocop design in the original had a goal: to visually communicate how inhuman he was.

The design of Robocop in the new film has different goals for a different story. OCP is marketing this as the rescue of a first responder, they want to play up how much of him they were able to save, and it makes sense that as the design is updated, it looks more and more like a human silhouette.

This is why getting rid of Murphy's arm in the original film is important, and why saving it is important to this new film.

That sounds pretty reasonable, even if it is less interesting than the original.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I'd say it's more likely an actually shooting suit before some serious CGI editing and cleanup.

Nope. That's the prototype. It's seen in the "Wake him" scene.

I believe it was posted somewhere that RoboCop is supposed to have different looks throughout the movie.

Set photos released earlier show the final version...

Steve Yun posted:

Also, original RoboCop was a crash program since the ED-209 debut got hosed up and shot Kenney. OCP was essentially grafting ED-209 into a human form. Here, especially with that Keaton video, Omnicorp trying to make a human into a robot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I didn't notice he had an OCP logo on his chest in the black suit. How great is that, a product logo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh, yeah I get the prototype thing in the context of the movie, I thought you meant prototype as in they were working the costume out. It still needs a lot of help to get from that photo to not looking like poo poo on screen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crashbee posted:

At least one site is selling them.
http://www.gadgetgrotto.com/robocup

No shipping to the U.S.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I didn't notice he had an OCP logo on his chest in the black suit. How great is that, a product logo.

OCP logo and a molded badge.

Edit: on second thought, they're probably laser-etched.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 26, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Young Freud posted:

OCP logo and a molded badge.

In place of nipples, no less.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mr. stefan posted:

In place of nipples, no less.

Who do you know that has nipples that big!?!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

I like Robert Cop because he walks like this I don't like this other Robert Cop because he walks like this

The movie is a nothing, not like the other movie which was a something

Personally, I'm loving the nerd-hate. I used to feel bad for peeps when they couldn't relax and enjoy new stuff, like Prometheus or the new Trek or whathaveyou, by virtue of it being new and different (or not the same, the other common complaint). Then one day my friend told me that my open-mind meant I was never "a true Star Trek fan" and let me tell ya, it upset me. But it helped me realize something: death to nerds.

Long live Robert Cop! I'm calling it now: remake's gonna be better than the original. Maybe even better than the other remake, Gamer.

WYA posted:

It looks pretty funny to me in the trailers (the only promo stuff I watch). Like really dark, but funny.

quote:

It's surprisingly true, like still! And it's worse; even many people who understand that, fail/refuse to recognize any other director's satire (ex: Michael bay).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This movie really does straight up look like Gamer 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought Gamer was the least interesting of all the Neveldine/Taylor movies and just an okay movie in general, not a particularly exciting or memorable one, so maybe that explains my lack of enthusiasm when it comes to Robert R. Cop (the R is for reboot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hockles posted:

Your move, crepe.

1) Serve the public lunch
2) Protect the blintz.
3) Uphold the bearclaw.

Hahahaha, this was awesome and for some reason reminded me that a Robocop cartoon existed once upon a time.

EDIT: As someone working at GE right now, I assure you, over-engineered and complicated designs are a norm because sometimes we just like spending money over simplification.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 26, 2014

• Locked thread