Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Error 404 posted:

Well, I don't know how useful it would be for elder scrolls gaming, but I've been toying with an idea that uses Hold as a more dynamic equivalent to normal magic/mana points.

So you would have a move similar to the Wizard's prepare spells, where you gain X Hold (Mana) by spending time (like an hour) focusing magic or whatever. Maybe also have 1 or 2 other ways to pick up 1 hold on the go.

Then you get rid of spells per day, make them all cost 1 Hold on a 7-9, or so.

My Elf class has something similar to this. The big issue with that was that the moves took a lot of space, but I'm sure you could pare the idea down some, even to as little as two basic moves. (All three of my race classes are under my name in the OP now apparently, thanks gnome!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rulebook Heavily posted:

My Elf class has something similar to this. The big issue with that was that the moves took a lot of space, but I'm sure you could pare the idea down some, even to as little as two basic moves.

In this case I may PM you for your opinions on some things

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Handgun Phonics posted:

The big thing with Elder Scrolls is that most of... pretty much everything, really, relies heavily on skills rather than attributes. Also, everything that isn't skyrim used 8 attributes, which I'm guessing isn't the direction you're intending.

With the attribute thing I was thinking along the lines of (what Sixth World does) Combat, Presence, etc.

Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of just having the "feel" of the Elder Scrolls instead of trying to recreate the games in tabletop form. Though, I guess if I'm just going for feel then I could just do that now, in vanilla DW.

I guess I just liked the idea of the "make yourself anything you want to be, within reason" in Class Warfare - kind of like what you can do in the games (wizard wearing plate mail, magic wielding thief, etc.), though to an extent this can also be done in DW (plus having everybody be a grab bag means that you have less team cohesion)

I was thinking maybe just writing up some narrative racial moves and some birthsign moves and maybe just going with that, but I was curious if anybody else had thought about it.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 25, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Error 404 posted:

In this case I may PM you for your opinions on some things

You might also want to check out Gnome's Winter Mage and Artificer. They both use similar mechanics.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

With the attribute thing I was thinking along the lines of (what Sixth World does) Combat, Presence, etc.

Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of just having the "feel" of the Elder Scrolls instead of trying to recreate the games in tabletop form. Though, I guess if I'm just going for feel then I could just do that now, in vanilla DW.

I guess I just liked the idea of the "make yourself anything you want to be, within reason" in Class Warfare - kind of like what you can do in the games (wizard wearing plate mail, magic wielding thief, etc.), though to an extent this can also be done in DW (plus having everybody be a grab bag means that you have less team cohesion)

I was thinking maybe just writing up some narrative racial moves and some birthsign moves and maybe just going with that, but I was curious if anybody else had thought about it.

I did a little bit of work with an FFV/FFT-based Dungeon World hack that was based off the job system that actually ended up with a little of that. Aside from the basic moves everyone has, you sort of "assembled" a playbook out of jobs that were each about the same size as a compendium class. It's also more or less a formalized version of how I've handled making custom playbooks for people on the fly, by stitching together small chunks of several.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Handgun Phonics posted:

Aside from the basic moves everyone has, you sort of "assembled" a playbook out of jobs that were each about the same size as a compendium class. It's also more or less a formalized version of how I've handled making custom playbooks for people on the fly, by stitching together small chunks of several.

poo poo, aside from fluff this is almost exactly what I've been working on.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
Just ran my first session of Dungeon World with some friends, and I have to say, we all enjoyed it!

We had a human paladin whose holy symbol was just a book of laws, a masterless initiate who wanted to prove his kung fu was the best, and a halfling druid who just wanted to be helpful to everyone.

The party started in a dungeon fighting a gold golem in an effort to retrieve some gold it stole from the town of Silver Stream. After an intense fight, during which the paladin decides to make it his personal quest destroy the golem (resulting in him being unable to back down for any reason), the golem is shoved through an open doorway, resulting in the magic that held it together diffusing; the druid had determined that the golem couldn't leave the treasure vault without falling apart. The party then realized that the golem couldn't have stolen the gold by itself. They immediately decide that the real culprit was Jeffery, son of Jefferyson, the nervous looking, greedy son of Silver Stream's village elder.

One the way back to Silver Stream, they meet with a goblin shaman who's a bit curious if they've actually cleared out the temple; the goblins want to move into it. The druid says they have, and warns them that there might be some structural damage. The shaman thanks the party for their good deed and returns to his tribe with the good news.

Back in Silver Stream, the party tracks down Jeffery; he's in the tavern having a huge party, apparently celebrating the party's deaths. The paladin bursts into the pub, uses his I Am The Law move to try and arrest Jeffery. He rolls an 8, so Jeffery flees in horror; the party gives chase. The initiate has a chicken thrown in his face, the paladin runs through a window, and the halfling druid is jumping from head to head in the crowded market, trying to catch up with Jeffery. Jeffery uses his pull with the townspeople to convince them that the party is a bunch of murderous thugs, to which the paladin tries to use I Am The Law again; unfortunately, he just quotes laws and ordinances from his holy book, which impresses no one.

Things are looking bad for the party, but the paladin has a plan! He can't actually harm unarmed civilians, so he kindly provides them with weapons to stab him with. His god, the Emperor, is not pleased with such tricks, and makes his displeasure known. Sick of having to deal with this, the initiate just starts punching people; his style has messy and forceful, so he just starts ripping limbs off, covering himself in blood and guts. After murdering a few more peasants, they finally part for the "Blood Demon," letting them get to the stately Jeffery Manor. Jefferyson, the village elder, refuses to let them have his son, convinced the party are just bandits out for blood (which, considering what just happened, makes lots of sense!). Still sick of this poo poo, the initiate disables Jefferyson, who falls and breaks his hip. There's some debate about what to do, but ultimately, the druid is able to talk to the family dog to find out Jeffery is in the basement, doing something.

The paladin takes point, busts down the door to the basement, only to find Jeffery with a shadowy figure doing something mysterious; possibly moving loot. The shadowy figure disappears into the darkness and combat officially starts. I offer the paladin a choice; if he gets down on his knees and prays really hard, he can use Quest (normally it takes a longish rest to prepare it), but he'll be vulnerable to attacks. He agrees, and the initiate decides to guard him from attacks. The shadow thing does indeed attack the paladin, doing a bit of damage. That's when the paladin opens his eyes, which have become beacons of divine light, cutting through all lies and shadows. Without its shadow armor, the shadow is taken out in a single blow, as the judgement of the Divine Emperor is brought upon it.

Meanwhile, the druid's spotted a pile of magical items. He runs past Jeffery and just starts digging through them, hoping to find something useful. He continues to ignore Jeffery's completely ineffectual attempts at attacking him. The druid finds a magical lantern and a stone that seems to have healing properties. Jeffery continues to try and kick the druid's shins.

With no one left to protect him, the paladin quickly passes judgement on Jeffery; the sentence is death, since the Emperor has no mercy for criminal scum. The party leaves Silver Stream to go track down more members of this mysterious shadow cabal that's stealing wealth from the villages in the area.

Considering I didn't plan half the things that happened, I'm completely stunned at how many cool hooks for later games were created by the players! For the amount of work that I put in planning, the return of investment is great; I don't think I'll be running d20 games in the future, if I have a choice between them and Dungeon World.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

I would like to add in that I was in this game and I agree with what was said.

The fact that everyone in the table had a moment to shine was what really sold me. The problem I had from time to time as a player and as a GM is trying to get everyone to participate equally on the table. The way the game is set up encourages and rewards people to get involved. I am usually a silent player unless prodded but during the game, I was pissed off at those drat villagers in wasting my time and therefore I decided to break their limbs. So, chewing the scene as some sort of Sonny Chiba martial arts exploitation flick ala The Street Fighter was what my character was all about.

I also had some of my opinions changed about the party members. Good ol' Tanaka thought the Paladin was good and respectable but after the session, that Paladin was a drat coward and pacifist dog and my opinions of him changed drastically. Halfling was ok with him, but we'll see if he has the stomach to handle killing an army of bandits. I have to say that this is going to be my go to game for playing fantasy rpgs for a long, long time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Ramba Ral posted:

I would like to add in that I was in this game and I agree with what was said.

The fact that everyone in the table had a moment to shine was what really sold me. The problem I had from time to time as a player and as a GM is trying to get everyone to participate equally on the table. The way the game is set up encourages and rewards people to get involved. I am usually a silent player unless prodded but during the game, I was pissed off at those drat villagers in wasting my time and therefore I decided to break their limbs. So, chewing the scene as some sort of Sonny Chiba martial arts exploitation flick ala The Street Fighter was what my character was all about.

I also had some of my opinions changed about the party members. Good ol' Tanaka thought the Paladin was good and respectable but after the session, that Paladin was a drat coward and pacifist dog and my opinions of him changed drastically. Halfling was ok with him, but we'll see if he has the stomach to handle killing an army of bandits. I have to say that this is going to be my go to game for playing fantasy rpgs for a long, long time.

The neat thing is you then express this as resolving a bond with said party member and gain exp for it. I mean, don't force it, but it's cool that the system rewards this kind of interaction.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
How have you all handled exploration in Dungeon World? I read a bit from the "Living Dungeon World" experiments, and they seem like a really great way to 'grow' Dungeon World or play it in a somewhat unconventional way.

But since Dungeon World is very, well, dungeon-focused (normally a good thing I love about the system), the only "explore-like" move is 'Undertake a Perilous Journey,' which is explicitly used only for going from any one destination to any one other destination.

I'm trying to frame a party move like "Venture Into The Wilderness" or "Chart The Uncharted Territories." However, I want to keep the Player-GM narrative control balance that makes Dungeon World so entertaining and dynamic as a way to help build the map. I also want to keep the rules-lite nature of Dungeon World generally intact - no random terrain tables or encounter groups or anything like that. Finally, I'm trying to keep in mind the fact that specificity and detail are the soul of good narrative, and something that delivers results like "You continue to ride along the Plains of Falla for two days, and their rolling beauty and small villages roll by," will be really deeply unsatisfying.

So, the move I am brainstorming would be something like this:

When your party ventures together into uncharted territory, assign each member a role. Not all roles need to be filled, but no one can fill more than one role. The roles are the navigator, the scout, the cartographer, and the survivalist.

When you begin venturing into uncharted territory, each person rolls. Resolve them in the order given above, if possible. Many circumstantial, class-related, or prop-related bonuses and penalties could apply to this roll, but no ability modifiers do.

When the navigator gets a....
*12+, they hold 1, and may spend a hold to allow them to explore, redefine, or further detail the area they are exploring later.
*10-11, the players may make camp as normal, and take +1 forward on their Take Watch rolls.
*7-9, the players may make camp as normal, and take -1 forward on their Take Watch rolls.
*6-, the players become very lost or turned around during the explanation, must mark an extra ration and take -1 forward on their Take Watch rolls, in addition to allowing the DM to hold 1 for an extra detail later.

Navigator gets a 6- posted:

"Uh-oh. Somehow, we've decided that it might be useful to deviate from the riverbed for a few minutes and end up deviating for more than a few hours down an endless series of dry stream beds. Sorry I led us astray - now we're gonna be short on time and famished!"

When the scout gets a...
*12+, they get to define a feature which is uniquely useful to the players, like a cool spring, lookout tower, or cheap inn, in addition to the 10+ result.
*10-11, they get to define a unique feature, intelligent inhabitant, settlement, or group of people who the players find and their relationship to existing plot elements.
*7-9, the scout gets to define the plot element which will be furthered, but the DM or other players choose the way it is addressed. On a 6-, the DM makes a move or chooses details from other players and their own fiction.
*6-, the scout misses a crucial feature, settlement, or group of people who the DM may introduce in their own way at any time.

Scout gets an 8 posted:

"Shoot! Well, whatever we find in the riverbed when we get back to it, it's going to be leading us towards the source of the magical storms we're looking for, but not give us much to go on about the lost pilgrims or anything else. DM : Alright, so as you hike along the edge of the riverbed, you see a tall, thin spindly looking tower, the top of which is glimmering with that magical turquoise aura that accompanies the storm. However, somewhere along the way, the footprints of the pilgrims seem to disappear."

When the cartographer gets a...
*12+,they get to define the types of terrain they are experiencing, but also get to imply something about the surrounding terrain in yet-to-be-charted areas nearby too.
*10-11, they get to define the types of terrain they are experiencing within the immediate area they are exploring.
*7-9, the DM defines the relationships of the terrain to other features, but you get to define the terrain you experience.
*6-, the DM makes a move or chooses details from all the players and their own fiction.

Cartographer gets a 12 posted:

"Alright! 12. Well, we're following the old riverbed, right? And there's a tower? The riverbed is dry for the next few miles, but the dead forest surrounding it gets thinner and thinner around us, becoming black sand where the river empties into a vast, shallow, salty sea that extends beyond our immediate horizon. The tower is on the shores of that salty sea. DM, I guess it's up to you if it's on our shore or somewhere else..."

When the survivalist gets a...
*12+, they have discovered a secret about the area which will make future trips much easier or thicken the plot.
*10-11, they can give the players a chance to gain an extra ration, give the players the jump or an advantage in a danger defined in earlier rolls.
*7-9, they give the players an extra ration or allow the to get the jump on a danger.
*6-, Survivalist may choose if the players are taken by surprise, are misinformed about something they have discovered, or mark an extra ration off that day.

Survivalist gets an 11 posted:

"Nice! We ended up finding a set of logs which my little halfling knows are a great source of protein - bug protein. Everyone whose character can stomach it, the magical and healthful Tu-Jum Grubs I find during our accidental journey down the streambed keep you from marking off rations today."

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 26, 2014

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Didn't somebody here make a cool princess classbook some time ago? It had the Disney font, is why I remember it. I can't seem to find the link.

Edit: Never mind, found it: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpZk9MWFJWRFNWTGM/edit

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 26, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you're in the IW group on G+ you probably already saw this, but

quote:

Cardboard Box
Special Size, Control +2, Special Passengers

A Cardboard Box
The size of a cardboard box is dependent on what it was designed to contain, so you can find boxes from Tiny all the way up to Large size. The size is determined when you locate a good box. As a box, it requires no feed for animals, is cheap to repair (effectively no cost other than time), requires no crew beside the pilot and must be used with a very active imagination.

Time Masheen
When you want to ride in the Cardboard Box, you must misspell the name of the vehicle you want it to be on the side of the box in some kind of permanent marker and acquire some kind of cool hat to wear to show you are the captain. Aside from the stats above, it now counts as that vehicle in all ways and has the vehicle's Passenger value and moves. It still appears as a cardboard box to boring adults.

Check the Cargo Hold
All equipment the vehicle chosen with Time Masheen would come with is actually imaginary and thus invisible to those who don't have an active imagination but functions normally so long as it is used on board the vehicle. The Cardboard Box counts as having imaginary weapons (if the vehicle comes with weapons normally) but cannot be mounted with additional real weapons. All imaginary weapons still require imaginary ammo and can run out until you can restock somewhere safe.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

If you're in the IW group on G+ you probably already saw this, but

Oh my god I am so in love with this item. Gonna use it to replace my airship whenever I get to play a Captain.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Didn't somebody here make a cool princess classbook some time ago? It had the Disney font, is why I remember it. I can't seem to find the link.

Edit: Never mind, found it: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpZk9MWFJWRFNWTGM/edit

Here's a slightly more current version. Nothing much different from the existing one, just a slight formatting difference.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BrotherAdso posted:

So, the move I am brainstorming would be something like this:

It seems a bit fiddly but if you want to collaboratively create the wilderness it seems like the only way.

Alternately if the GM's got some ideas for what "should be" in the wilderness you could try this, copied from upthread:

---

When you travel through the wilderness to explore it, you make progress at half speed. Assign party members to roles as though you were undertaking a perilous journey, but roll +wis at the beginning of each day.

On a 10+, the trailblazer lets the party explore a sufficient area while still maintaining full travel speed. On a 7-9, the party moves at half-speed and doesn't get turned around or caught in dangerous terrain. On a 6-, I'm sure you can imagine.

On a 10+, the quartermaster can forage sufficient supplies from the wilderness so the party doesn't need to consume a ration that day. On a 7-9 the party consumes one ration as normal but doesn't lose any to spoilage, wildlife, or mishap. On a 6-, well well.

In addition to the usual rules for surprise, on a 10+, the scout can ask the GM what, roughly, lies in two directions of their choice. On a 7-9 they get one direction and the GM picks a direction. On a 6- the GM picks a direction, in addition to the GM move.

But what's in the wilderness, anyway? (cribbing from Planarch Codex here)

The GM should think of 2-5 rough themes for the wilderness, depending on the size of it and how much they'd like the PCs to explore. Write down each theme with a countdown track from 6-12 boxes. For the northern mountain wastes of the frost giants, the GM may decide on cold (10), brutality (12), majesty (8), and distant thunder (6). For each day's travel, roll +nothing for each theme. On a 7-9, its strength is 1; on a 10-11, it's 2; and on a 12+ it's 3. As long as you have that many boxes left in the countdown, mark them off; when you're out of boxes, the theme no longer occurs. If a die lands off the table or in an unreadable position, there's some weird interloper in the area. (Alternately, if you're using an online roller or something, if you get the exact same roll for any two themes, there's an interloper.)

If you want things to group up a little bit, consider this: on a 7-9, take +1 forward to the next roll for a theme. On a 10+, take +1 ongoing until you roll a 12+. On a 12+, you've found the source of this theme. Treat further rolls of 12+ as a 10.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Glazius posted:

Here's a slightly more current version. Nothing much different from the existing one, just a slight formatting difference.

Thanks! I think one of my players may be thinking about this for our Pirate World game.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
So, IO9 composed a list of dudes that rolled well on the Survivor's Survive move from Inverse World (also happens to be my favorite playbook from Inverse World).

http://io9.com/people-who-said-ill-...dium=socialflow

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Thanks! I think one of my players may be thinking about this for our Pirate World game.

Please share the results! It's not exactly playtested exhaustively.

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008
Hey guys, I decided to take a crack at my first ever DW playbook, inspired very heavily by Gandalf but also by tales of Odin in disguise. So, here it is: The Mysterious Wanderer.

I would appreciate any comments -- and feel free to be harsh (I can take it).

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
First kneejerk thing: 7-9, not 6-9.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

DirkGently posted:

Hey guys, I decided to take a crack at my first ever DW playbook, inspired very heavily by Gandalf but also by tales of Odin in disguise. So, here it is: The Mysterious Wanderer.

You Shall Not Pass looks like it should require Clarity rather than A True Power, but otherwise this looks good.

Edit: Slepnir should probably say "On a 9-" or "On a 6-" rather than "On a 6-9". Looking at Piercing Gaze/Heaven's Wrath where you did the same, perhaps you meant "7-9"?

Narya's Balm talks about spending Destiny instead of Prophecy.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 28, 2014

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I got to run a great game of Dungeon World on the weekend with my regular players and a few extras.

The cast consisted of:
The Cap'n, a Pirate Captain from Inverse World,
Fabio, an Orcish Slayer from Grim World,
Norman, a magical pudding Golem from Inverse World and first mate of the Cap'n's ship,
Makale, a Goblin Shaman from Grim World,
and Goraka, an Ogre Gladiatior from the Gladiatior third party playbook by Somethingawful's GimpInBlack.

After writing bonds, I asked the captain why Airships were necessary in this world, and he responded with "The floor is lava." I interpreted that to mean the world was a great ocean of lava with islands of rock and earth jutting far out of the burning ocean.

I told them they were in the middle of an attack between their ship and another and another round of questions revealed that their ship was attacking another, slow, lightly armed, and heavily laden with wealth and goods. The Cap'n tried to order his crew to attack the crew on the other vessel, but the enemy captain had come out on deck, and he was a giant brute, and the crew were terrified after the enemy brute had chopped off the amorphous pudding golem's arm. The Gladiator calls out the Brute, and has to make a choice, he decides that the other enemies won't interfere with the fight.

The group led the attack against the brute, and things went from bad to worse. The Shaman knocked a soldier from the other ship overboard, he plummeted to his firey death, and the lava began to shift and undulate as though something massive swam just beneath the surface.

Back on the transport vessel, the Slayer, the Gladiator, and the Pudding are battling the Brute Captain, trading blows and taking some big hits. Eventually, the pudding blinds the brute by gumming up his eyes with pudding goop. The Gladiator took this opportunity to use the Brute's own giant axe to behead him, sending the head, and the pudding clinging to it, over the edge of the ship.

The Gladiator has to make a hard choice, catch the head and his delicious friend, or stay on the deck of the ship. He choose the former, and we leave him with the head in his hand and his leg hooked in a railing dangling over the edge looking at the undulating lava below. With the Brute dead, the Cap'n's crew finally agrees to board the enemy vessel and fight, so they all charge into a pitched battle.

Meanwhile the little shaman has leaped onto the back of the toppling Brute's body and jammed a shrunken head onto the dead brute's neck stump in order to capture it's soul. This doesn't go well, and instead of doing what the Shaman wants it will do what it wants, and starts fighting again. While this happens, the two dangling over the side see a gigantic lava serpent slowly emerge from the burning sea and wend it's way upwards towards the two ships.

As the Shaman is messing about with powers best left alone, the Slayer helps his comrades back onto the deck, and the gladiator and pudding attack the brute simultaneously, the Ogre stabbing the brute, and the putting morphing into the hole and then exploding the body from inside.

With the brute destroyed, the enemies all surrender, but the Serpent is coming, the heavy cargo vessel is too slow to escape it, so they only have a short amount of time to grab what loot they can and get away. The Slayer decides to start chasing the surrendered enemies around the deck so he can slake his thirst and throw their bodies to the serpent. The Shaman consults the spirits, and discovers that the serpent doesn't eat flesh - it eats wood!

The group scurries to grab what loot they can, and recruit the survivors to help them load some valuable upgrades for the ship in exchange for their lives. Just as they are ready to leave, the Slayer spots a map case in the doorway to the brute's cabin, ties a rope to himself and gives it to the Gladiator, and makes a dash through the splintering cargo vessel for the case, they leave as the serpent finishes crushing the ship, all it's wealth tumbling down and burning up into the lava....

DirkGently
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

First kneejerk thing: 7-9, not 6-9.

That is embarrassing, I have no idea what I was thinking -- for some reason I only got it right about half the time. Thanks for the catch though.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You Shall Not Pass looks like it should require Clarity rather than A True Power, but otherwise this looks good.

Edit: Slepnir should probably say "On a 9-" or "On a 6-" rather than "On a 6-9". Looking at Piercing Gaze/Heaven's Wrath where you did the same, perhaps you meant "7-9"?

Narya's Balm talks about spending Destiny instead of Prophecy.

Clarity is a much better requirement for You Shall Not Pass, thanks. And I most definitely meant to say 7-9 on Sleipnir.

Thanks for looking it over you guys.

For anyone looking, did the balance between interesting and useful things feel about right? Is it too mechanical and not narrative enough? I realize that playtesting is the best way to tell this (my group is off for a month though) but I wonder whether or not people think that this class would be a fun addition to their tables. Also, any opinion on how it captures the Gandalf feel (or if it hews too closely to that)?

At any rate, here is the new playbook, now with embarrassing typos removed (thanks again): Mysterious Wanderer. If anyone else has further critique I would be happy to hear it.

DirkGently fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 28, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I don't know if it's that way mechanically, but the Mysterious Wanderer just feels overpowered by virtue of it's role. Just all around powerful. My only complaint is it seems like that several moves refer to the Wanderer's hidden enemy, without really having a place to define who that enemy is. Maybe a bit of clarification there...and perhaps as the Wanderer grows in power, so too does their enemy who gains extra moves to hinder the party.

Also I don't know if it's just me but I feel like most Dungeon World playbooks could be improved by having a few paragraphs devoted to the flavor of the playbook, interesting move combos, and explanations of the more subtle moves. Monster Hearts has those and really helps understand things. Like Mysterious Comings and Goings, does the player just remove themselves from a scene, have a private chat with the GM, or get their own private scene? Seems like it'd be up to the GM.

Either way, I wouldn't expect to play this playbook myself unless the GM had a plot I could insert myself into. By virtue of this playbook being a heavyweight mover and shaker in the world from level 1, it's tricky to work into a one-shot game thing for some good ol' fashioned murderhoboing. Which is a shame, because it looks legitimately cool to play.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm curious if anyone has worked on a 40k hack for Dungeon World or anything close to that. Last time I attempted with my group to learn any of the Fantasy Flight 40k stuff, we were put off by the poor design of the manual, and I thought, "What if the mechanics were the least important part of the game?"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"What if the mechanics were the least important part of the game?"

... then you'd be playing a Games Workshop product! :v:

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

DirkGently posted:

You used MC instead of GM in the moves, "Deep Delve" "Mysterious Sources," and "Piercing Gaze."

The 6-9 mentioned above is used in several places, but should be 7-9. "Delve Deep," "Mysterious Sources," "Sleipnir," "Piercing Gaze," and "Heaven's Wrath."

"Riddles in the Dark," has the word "something," twice in a row repeated.

I think the playbook looks like a lot of fun.

EDIT: It seems I was late to the party.

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 28, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

S.J. posted:

... then you'd be playing a Games Workshop product! :v:

Bam!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm curious if anyone has worked on a 40k hack for Dungeon World or anything close to that. Last time I attempted with my group to learn any of the Fantasy Flight 40k stuff, we were put off by the poor design of the manual, and I thought, "What if the mechanics were the least important part of the game?"

Rogue Trader Apocalypse

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

These are mostly collections of 40k-themed moves, but the Commissar one is almost playable.

http://pastebin.com/dEJhJ8ky
http://pastebin.com/Rm8B5KS6

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Krysmphoenix posted:

My only complaint is it seems like that several moves refer to the Wanderer's hidden enemy, without really having a place to define who that enemy is.

A super easy way to bring the enemy into focus is replace your Race moves with Enemy moves. Choose between things like A Darkness Across The Land, A Potent Empire, and A Great Force Of Light And Good (because nobody ever said the Wanderer was the good guy, or that all good guys are good together). Obviously gaining the notice of a creeping shadow is different than tripping across an Imperial Patrol.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BrotherAdso posted:

Explorationy stuff
This is a really cool idea. Please keep ideaing it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

A super easy way to bring the enemy into focus is replace your Race moves with Enemy moves. Choose between things like A Darkness Across The Land, A Potent Empire, and A Great Force Of Light And Good (because nobody ever said the Wanderer was the good guy, or that all good guys are good together). Obviously gaining the notice of a creeping shadow is different than tripping across an Imperial Patrol.

I love this as a general idea for a 'thing'.
What if unlocking a CC also made you new enemies? And those enemies gained (gave the GM) a "trouble" move?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
I wrote a Hulking Hurler Compendium Class! Comments are welcome.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Companion Class, Made for friend posted:

Dhampyre

Some people would call you a special snowflake, being born of a vampire and a human. While some of the perks are nice, you honestly could do without being hunted. You get the feeling that one of your parents would really be unhappy to know you live. When you are born of a vampire and human, you gain the following move.

% Blessing of the Half
Unlike those who walk the night, you do not feel negative effects of the morning sun. You know that unless you are attacked, you will live a good long time, much longer than any human.

When you have the move “Blessing of the Half”, the following moves become class moves, and you may take them as such when you level up.

% Tainted Blood
When a creature tries to feed on your blood, they are repulsed by it. Your blood is toxic to them, and if they continue to feed, they take your class damage.

% Lady Killer (or Dude Devastator)
If you can keep eye contact with a GM-Character, you can use your Lady Killer (or Dude Devastator) as leverage in a parley. You gain +2 on that parley roll. On 9-, you can not use your Cursed Charm until you rest in a safe place.

% Taste of the Night
You may feast on the spirit of your fallen enemies. When you see a dead enemy, you may drain their spirit, Roll 2d6+Con. On 7+ you gain 5 HP. On 7-9, you feel ill at what you did and can not drain blood until you can rest in a safe place.

% Who Needs Wings?
You can jump three times higher and you always land safely when you fall.

% Bloody Hell
Requires: Taste of the Night
When an enemy has seen you Taste the Night successfully, you may deal an extra 1d6 damage.

% I'm not an Umpire!
When you are attacked, and dodge by getting out of the way or acting fast (DEX), you turn into a swarm of bats. You turn back when you've succeeded or failed. Take +1 forward to attacks on that enemy.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 30, 2014

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is a really cool idea. Please keep ideaing it.

I've been working on a dynamic exploration system for Dungeon World. Some good ideas were tossed my way in the last post, so I've reworked my old brainstorm here a bit. My big problem is that I feel it's too wordy, though I do like the idea of using Holds as a collective narrative tool.

I'll post an example of how this might work in play later this afternoon.

Areas of uncharted territory

Every area starts with these things undefined:

Basic Terrain Type - an area can have only one basic terrain type. This is usually something very simple like "desert," "jungles," "hills," "mountains," and so on. If no one defines a basic terrain type during Exploration, it defaults to the same basic terrain the characters left from.

Element - elements are adjectives and adverbs that add to the basic terrain type. For example, if your basic terrain type is "plains," adding an element might mean adding "windswept plains," or "rocky plains," or "fertile plains."

Features - features are nouns that exist within a basic terrain. For example, if your basic terrain type is "hills," a feature might include "a hidden lake in the dales," "a river running through the valleys," "small caves and caverns."

Sites - Almost anything that is not a purely natural feature or a settlement can be a site. A mystical vale, a cave of ogres, the Statue of the Head of Arkeesh which watches the river flow by….all of these could be sites in an area.

Settlements - These follow all the normal rules in the Dungeon World basic book for tags, size, etc.

Exploring Uncharted Territory

When your party ventures together into uncharted territory, assign each member a role. Not all roles need to be filled, but no one can fill more than one role. The roles are the navigator, the scout, the cartographer, and the survivalist. If a party has more than four characters, the other should make Aid Another rolls to help the four with defined roles. Each one then makes an exploration roll.

Resolve the character's exploration rolls in the order given below, if possible. Many circumstantial, class-related, or prop-related bonuses and penalties could apply to this roll, but no ability modifiers do.

When the navigator gets a....
*12+, the players make normal travel time and camp as normal. The Navigator chooses: the party may take one Explorer Hold or take +1 forward on their Take Watch rolls.
*10-11, the players make normal travel time and camp as normal.
*7-9, The Navigator can choose either: the players make normal travel time and the DM takes one Environment Hold, or the players take -1 forward on Take Watch rolls, as they are tired and behind schedule.
*6-, the DM takes one Environment Hold and the players take -1 forward on Take Watch rolls.
When the scout gets a...
*12+, they take three Explorer Hold.
*10-11, they take two Explorer Hold.
*7-9, They take one Explorer Hold and the DM takes one Environment Hold.
*6-, The DM takes two Environment Hold.

When the cartographer gets a...
*12+, they take two Explorer Hold and the map is updated correctly.
*10-11, they take one Explorer Hold and the map is updated correctly.
*7-9, the DM takes one Environment hold and the map is updated correctly.
*6-, the DM takes two Environment hold and the character's map is left un-updated for this journey.

When the survivalist gets a...
*12+, they can take one Explorer Hold and all players gain one ration.
*10-11, the Survivalist can choose whether players do not need to mark off a ration OR to take one Explorer Hold.
*7-9, the Survivalist can choose either: players must mark off one ration OR the DM takes one Environment Hold.
*6-, The players must mark off one ration, and the Survivalist must choose either: the players mark off an extra ration, or the DM takes two Environment Hold.

Using Explorer and Environment Hold to Build an area

When everyone has rolled their exploration, count up how many Explorer Hold and Environment Hold points there are. The DM and players then use their holds to build an area.

The party may spend three Explorer Holds to do things like…
--> Describe the basic type of terrain they are traveling through.
--> Discover a settlement in the area they are traveling through.
--> Discover a ruin, dungeon, lair, crashed sky-island, or other special site in the area.
--> Add two features or elements to the terrain they are traveling through.
--> Place a "hard border" like seacoast in the area they are traveling through.

The party may spend two Explorer Holds to do things like…
--> Describe the basic type of terrain they are traveling through IF the area they are leaving had a "soft border".
--> Extend the basic terrain of the last area they were traveling through to this area.
--> Add a feature or element to the basic type of terrain from the last area.
--> Extend a feature or element to the basic type of terrain from the last area.
--> Add a tag, descriptor or a specific individual to a settlement in the area they are traveling through.
--> Place a "soft border" indicating a gradual change to a new type of terrain.

The party may spend one Explorer Holds to do things like…
--> Define a trail, path, or other route connecting this area to a previously explored area nearby.
--> Upgrade a trail or path to a road or track connecting this area to a previously explored area nearby.
--> Mark this area as "completely explored," meaning no more exploration rolls can be made here.
--> Add one minor fact or descriptor about the area's population, history, look, feel, etc.

The DM may spend Environment Holds to do things like…
--> Anything the players could do with an Exploration hold.
--> Make the terrain, features, or elements more fantastical, mystical, or dangerous.
--> Add elements to the basic terrain.
--> Add a minor fact or descriptor about the area.
--> Add tags or quirks to settlements.
--> Bring forth an encounter with the inhabitants or dangers of the area.
--> Place a "soft border," if the players did not choose to do so.
--> Mark this area as "completely explored," if the players did not choose to do so.
--> Use traveling the area's elements, features, and sites to advance the DM's Agenda.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 30, 2014

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus
I'm going to give a bare bones mechanical example to illustrate what I'm playing with as the exploration dynamic. Remember to stop and pause after each mechanical statement and imagine how it fits into a Dungeon World style roleplay of something like "heroically venturing into the Wild." I figured it would make it too long to fill in "imaginary dialogue' after each mechanical piece to illustrate that side of things.

In this example, the party of five explorers is venturing into uncharted territory from Area 3.02, "Rinda Valley 3.02". (see the map below).

The Wizard, figuring her book learning is most useful in making maps, rolls to aid the Cartographer, and gets a 10. The cartographer will get a +1 to their roll.

The navigator, a Bard, rolls a 7, and chooses to have the players make good time but give them DM one Environment Hold.

The scout, a Ranger, gets an 12, and the party gets three Explorer Holds.

The cartographer, a Cleric, with the help of the Wizard, gets a 10, and the map is updated successfully and the players get one Explorer Hold.

The survivalist, a Druid, gets a 4, and chooses to give the DM two Environment Holds, since the players are already running low on rations after weeks of exploring.

So, at the end of rolling for exploration, the DM has three Environment Holds and the party has four Explorer Holds.

The party chooses to spend their holds to:
1) Extend the "forested hills" basic terrain type (spending two holds) to the next hex, and
2) Extend a feature from the last hex (the river) along the edges of the hex and send it south (spending their last two holds).

The DM chooses to spend his holds to:
1) Place a "soft border," indicating the that the next area the players explore can have a different basic terrain for only two holds rather than three.
2) Extend the trail along the river.
3) Add an "Element", telling them the temperature feels warmer and warmer as they travel, and the trees are less evergreen.

The players can now choose to move to another area (hex), or make another party explore move to define more features of this area.

Newly Explored Area Entry posted:

HEX: 4.03, "Rinda Valley 4.03"

Basic Terrain: Forested Hills

Elements: Warm forests.

Features: Rinda River and riverside trail continues to run west and south. We do not know what lies north and west of the riverbanks, as there is yet no crossing. We have not pressed far east from the edges of the river.

Sites: None explored.

Settlements: None explored.

I like this because certain things make the players want to stay and define more details and some things - especially the DM holds - can provide hints or spurs to fill each area with fiction (maybe this part of the Rinda Valley is warmer because of the Spring Of The Fire Dryads, which the players will find if they go looking?).

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 30, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Does anyone use the DW community on Google+ for feedback and such? How active is it?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's pretty active, but 90% of the traffic is people with obvious D&D-shaped hangups asking for rules clarifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Very cool exploration move, I'm going to have to try it. However, I think there is an inconsistency. Correct me if I am wrong:

BrotherAdso posted:

Basic Terrain Type - an area can have only one basic terrain type. This is usually something very simple like "desert," "jungles," "hills," "mountains," and so on. If no one defines a basic terrain type during Exploration, it defaults to the same basic terrain the characters left from.
First it is established that the terrain stays the same if not changed, but while spending hold later on, it looks as though you have to pay to extend the terrain.

BrotherAdso posted:

The party may spend two Explorer Holds to do things like…
--> Describe the basic type of terrain they are traveling through IF the area they are leaving had a "soft border".
--> Extend the basic terrain of the last area they were traveling through to this area.
--> Add a feature or element to the basic type of terrain from the last area.
--> Extend a feature or element to the basic type of terrain from the last area.
--> Add a tag, descriptor or a specific individual to a settlement in the area they are traveling through.
--> Place a "soft border" indicating a gradual change to a new type of terrain.
Is there a reason players would need to spend their hold to extend the terrain if it defaults to that?