Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?
The OP is very nice, but it is geared (correctly) towards folks who are serious. What's the fastest route for somebody with a non-games software development background to get something 2D up and running? I've some marginal DirectX experience, some decent OpenGL ES experience (OpenGL makes me want to gouge out my eyes with a blunt spoon though), and would be interested to delve into Unity or Flixel if you folks thought their benefits outweighed the learning curve for a very small project.

Background: Friend's son saw Wreck-It Ralph, loves old arcade games, wanted to play Fix-It Felix Jr., decided that the implementation on Disney's website was a total pile, asked me to make a project of making an implementation that looks like it does in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aphtonites posted:

I've started working on the enemy code for my Candy Jam entry, they don't really do anything aside from tracking you right now.

Most of the enemies will be court themed (Lawyers, etc!) so I'm trying to come up with some amusing designs.
This is looking amazing, dude!

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
I started working on a couple of particle effects, they aren't fancy but do the job pretty well:

And this really rough logo protype:

Shalinor posted:

This is looking amazing, dude!
Thanks! I'm glad that I ditched the 16-bit style that I originally had in mind, it wasn't that great.

Aphtonites fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 25, 2014

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Those animations are looking really good, can't wait to see how the game turns out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Goons have done you Wrong. The first one is way, way better. Having the whole face one color (white) makes it read more easily, plus it's just cuter, and I like the smirk more than the open mouth smile.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I don't know why I always have trouble with the most basic goddamn stuff, but the Typescript tutorial for Phaser just doesn't work for me. I followed the instructions exactly, but I keep getting this error message in my app.ts file:

code:
error TS2095: Build: Could not find symbol 'Phaser'
Even though I imported all the right files into my project, and modified default.htm to include phaser.js:

code:
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en">
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <title>TypeScript HTML App</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="app.css" type="text/css" />
    <script src="phaser.js"></script>
    <script src="app.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
    <h1>TypeScript HTML App</h1>

<div id="content"></div>
</body>
</html>
It would be infuriating if it weren't completely soul-crushing. :smith:

EDIT: What the hell? Apparently clicking "run from last successful build" makes it work, even though I'm pretty sure it never built successfully at any point.

The autocomplete doesn't work either, despite the tutorial saying it should.

I love Visual Studio, and I don't know why it hates me so much.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 25, 2014

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Aphtonites posted:

I started working on a couple of particle effects, they aren't fancy but do the job pretty well:

And this really rough logo protype:

Thanks! I'm glad that I ditched the 16-bit style that I originally had in mind, it wasn't that great.

If you have time, I'd suggest a second pass on the clouds to make the read more like clouds and less like negative space (since they're just filled-white shapes, it take the eyes a minute to figure out what they are and adjust. that said, this is looking totally awesome.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

DStecks posted:

I don't know why I always have trouble with the most basic goddamn stuff, but the Typescript tutorial for Phaser just doesn't work for me. I followed the instructions exactly, but I keep getting this error message in my app.ts file:

Even though I imported all the right files into my project, and modified default.htm to include phaser.js:

I love Visual Studio, and I don't know why it hates me so much.

What does your TypeScript file look like? From the error, it sounds like it's missing a reference to the phaser typescript declaration file like:
code:
/// <reference path="phaser.d.ts" />
TypeScript can't interpret raw .js files, so the project won't compile without errors or get intellisense data unless it has a declaration file for it. The language is kinda rough to start with and has more than a couple gotchas, but I like working with it better than plain JavaScript.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DaVideo posted:

What does your TypeScript file look like?

code:
class SimpleGame {

constructor() {
        this.game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, 'content', { preload: this.preload, create: this.create });
    }

game: Phaser.Game;

preload() {
        this.game.load.image('logo', 'phaser2.png');
    }

create() {
        var logo = this.game.add.sprite(this.game.world.centerX, this.game.world.centerY, 'logo');
        logo.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);

}

}

window.onload = () => {

var game = new SimpleGame();

};
Copied directly from the official Phaser typescript tutorial.

DaVideo posted:

Typescript can't interpret raw .js files, so the project won't compile without errors or get intellisense data unless it has a declaration file for it. The language is kinda rough to start with and has more than a couple gotchas, but I like working with it better than plain JavaScript.

And I made sure to include the declaration file specified by the tutorial.

EDIT:

Where exactly should <reference path="phaser.d.ts" /> go?

DStecks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 25, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
I would seriously try WebStorm with a good linter, it plays really nicely with Phaser and most of the documentation is going to be JS-centric.

Feel free to look over this skeleton project: https://github.com/zajd/orzia-js/tree/61078865bc356daee849092554f0dd4bead98410/html

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Any idea about how I would go about making a 2d fog effect in Unity3D? I have access to the pro version currently. Not sure if it should be done with the particles system in the engine, or if it should be a sprite with a shader effect added.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

This is what I'm looking at right now:

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

I'm actually wrong on the need for a reference, you shouldn't need it if they're in the same project as of 0.9.1 (we have a different setup at work). I looked into it a little, but I have no idea why it's not working, sorry :(

e: it is worth noting that the author probably won't be supporting the TypeScript side directly much anymore: https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser/pull/296

Moon Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 25, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DaVideo posted:

I'm actually wrong on the need for a reference, you shouldn't need it if they're in the same project as of 0.9.1 (we have a different setup at work). I looked into it a little, but I have no idea why it's not working, sorry :(

e: it is worth noting that the author probably won't be supporting the TypeScript side directly much anymore: https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser/pull/296

:unsmigghh:

down with slavery posted:

I would seriously try WebStorm with a good linter, it plays really nicely with Phaser and most of the documentation is going to be JS-centric.

Feel free to look over this skeleton project: https://github.com/zajd/orzia-js/tree/61078865bc356daee849092554f0dd4bead98410/html

Welp, it looks like I'm going to have to look into this. So much for being able to use Visual Studio. So what the hell is a linter?

Also, how do I actually load up that project? It doesn't seem to have a WebStorm project file, and the architecture is totally different from the test project I just created.

God, why can't anything just loving work? :suicide:

DStecks fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 26, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

DStecks posted:

Also, how do I actually load up that project? It doesn't seem to have a WebStorm project file, and the architecture is totally different from the test project I just created.

God, why can't anything just loving work? :suicide:

Oh, you can just right click index.html and click "Open in Browser" in Webstorm and it should load up a blank game window. I've been updating that project pretty actively, you can see a more fleshed out (but older than what I previously posted) example here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17727816/orzia-js/html/index.html - the images can take a while to load be patient

Part of the beauty of doing it all in js/html is that there is no compiling. It just runs in the browser. Granted, I'm probably going to use something server side to help with asset management down the road, but for now it makes life easy.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 26, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

down with slavery posted:

Oh, you can just right click index.html and click "Open in Browser" in Webstorm and it should load up a blank game window. I've been updating that project pretty actively, you can see a more fleshed out (but older than what I previously posted) example here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17727816/orzia-js/html/index.html - the images can take a while to load be patient

Part of the beauty of doing it all in js/html is that there is no compiling. It just runs in the browser. Granted, I'm probably going to use something server side to help with asset management down the road, but for now it makes life easy.

That's not what I meant, I was trying to ask how to open the thing in Webstorm. Or does it not work like Visual Studio at all, or... just... gently caress, I'm so confused. :smith:

And is there any way to eventually create an executable file with JavaScript and Phaser, or is it stuck as browser based? Because if it has to be in a browser, period, then I'm wasting my time with this.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

DStecks posted:

That's not what I meant, I was trying to ask how to open the thing in Webstorm. Or does it not work like Visual Studio at all, or... just... gently caress, I'm so confused. :smith:

at the simplest,

git clone https://github.com/zajd/orzia-js

open WebStorm

file -> open directory

That being said, WebStorm has full support for git(hub) so you should be able to even do the first part from inside the IDE if you really want to.

quote:

And is there any way to eventually create an executable file with JavaScript and Phaser, or is it stuck as browser based? Because if it has to be in a browser, period, then I'm wasting my time with this.

Your executable would be little more than a browser wrapper but sure, you can make .exes that just display websites (and you can also do this locally as in working offline functionality). I haven't explored packaging/distributing it as an executable yet, but it is a thing that people do

Feel free to message me on irc, my nick is pengy and I'd be more than happy to help you set things up, I love Phaser :3

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 26, 2014

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Candy Crawl now has enemies and health!

http://mastercoldrice.com/candycrawl/CandyCrawlv9.html

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

"Holy poo poo there's an inventory!"

Linked because it's a 5MB gif

http://i.imgur.com/mgTWtDV.gif

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Aphtonites posted:

I've started working on the enemy code for my Candy Jam entry, they don't really do anything aside from tracking you right now.

Most of the enemies will be court themed (Lawyers, etc!) so I'm trying to come up with some amusing designs.

why do great minds always have the same idea? :v:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Things: collect them!

e: now with more things.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 26, 2014

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Trying to get projectiles to spawn from the front of the ship when rotating it. This is from a test where the ship is rotated 10 degrees and then a bullet spawned, 36 times.

Not quite there yet.

VVV

The White Dragon posted:

I'd suggest you use the classical solution of having 3-5 individual player projectile objects that t/f exist, but if you asked me to elaborate a solution for you it would probably be more convoluted than whatever's causing your game to make thirty-six bullets at once :v:

The test is rotating the ship 10 degrees then spawning a bullet to see if it spawns in the right spot in front of the ship, 36 times so it's a full circle. I turned their movement off so they stay put instead of flying off.

Edit: Yesss. Fixed the problem. loving Trig. :argh:

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 26, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Loving these Candy Jam games. I haven't quite started mine yet because I've working on a different project, but I know what I'll be doing. It'll be a horror game where players must run away from the Candy King while collecting all the candies in a level. Probably a top down game with 4 directional movement, dumb pixel art, and super creepy ambient industrial music.
But for the my other project...Here's the music! It might need another mixing pass, but it came out pretty well.

Manslaughter posted:

"Holy poo poo there's an inventory!"

Linked because it's a 5MB gif

http://i.imgur.com/mgTWtDV.gif

drat that inventory is slick!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Trying to get projectiles to spawn from the front of the ship when rotating it. This is from a test where the ship is rotated 10 degrees and then a bullet spawned, 36 times.
I'd suggest you use the classical solution of having 3-5 individual player projectile objects that t/f exist, but if you asked me to elaborate a solution for you it would probably be more convoluted than whatever's causing your game to make thirty-six bullets at once :v:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

started adding some tiles... wow this is looking a lot better than I thought it would!

you can player it here:

http://mastercoldrice.com/candycrawl/CandyCrawlv11.html

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
New enemies!

They fire bullets at you, and stuff.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Candyjam!

Also, a familiar face in Trestle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

D_W posted:

Loving these Candy Jam games. I haven't quite started mine yet because I've working on a different project, but I know what I'll be doing. It'll be a horror game where players must run away from the Candy King while collecting all the candies in a level. Probably a top down game with 4 directional movement, dumb pixel art, and super creepy ambient industrial music.

So...Pac-Man? :v:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Played this a few times and am finding the requirement to roll to move as a bit frustrating. All it does is slow me down in the end without adding anything in return. If I roll a 1, all the changes is I need to move the mouse to the corner to get more move points.

I'd say either more should be done with the rolling to move mechanic, or have it removed.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

JossiRossi posted:

Played this a few times and am finding the requirement to roll to move as a bit frustrating. All it does is slow me down in the end without adding anything in return. If I roll a 1, all the changes is I need to move the mouse to the corner to get more move points.

I'd say either more should be done with the rolling to move mechanic, or have it removed.

That's general consensus on irc. What I m going to be doing is making the dice roll more "valuable" and entertaining. A 1d6 rpg is difficult! Here's what I got:

- using equip items (which I'm adding now) requires AP
- clearing obstacles (walls, locks, magic barriers) requires ap (not in yet)

New dice roll mechanics
1 & 2 recharges mana for special abilities (not in yet)
3 & 4 are neutral
5 & 6 are "fate" rolls which has a chance for a random event ("you find a pile of gold", or things like "you tripped for -1 hp")

That should make the dice rolling a bit more fun and like a 1 player dungeon crawl game

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Global Game Jam Complete! Thanks InternetJanitor and Everdraed for art and SUPER SECRET ENDING.

http://globalgamejam.org/2014/games/voodoo or http://poemdexter.com/unity-player/voodoo.html

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 27, 2014

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Continuing work on my Procedural Block Based Army Simulator Where The Choices You Make Matter Inspired By Dark Souls. At the moment worked on getting a necromancer unit in, which raises enemies that die above as ghosts. Not sure if I'm feeling the tetris aspect of it, since it's chaotic enough that I'm just dropping blocks instead of positioning my units, so I might go for some kind of match&merge mechanic.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

the chaos engine posted:

Also, a familiar face in Trestle.

420 Put Shalinor's assets in every game everyday.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
A bonus behind-the-scenes look at the art of Poemdexter's Voodoo:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Here's my GGJ entry. It's called New Herald Post, and it's an old-person-reading-the-newspaper simulator. It's extremely accurate.

Play Here: http://www.glassbottomgames.com/GGJ2014/

... or watch some video:

https://vimeo.com/85105273

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Candy Jam game just got real

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

My Candy Jam entry is coming along pretty well. I forgot how good game jams are at making you get off your butt and actually make something.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Coldrice posted:

That's general consensus on irc. What I m going to be doing is making the dice roll more "valuable" and entertaining. A 1d6 rpg is difficult! Here's what I got:

New dice roll mechanics
3 & 4 are neutral
5 & 6 are "fate" rolls which has a chance for a random event ("you find a pile of gold", or things like "you tripped for -1 hp")

That should make the dice rolling a bit more fun and like a 1 player dungeon crawl game

Have you ever played the King of Tokyo board game? It uses a Yahtzee-esque mechanic to determine which actions you can take in a turn. Not really suggesting you crib that, but part of the reason the game is fun is because you still have meaningful decisions to make (which dice to keep and which to throw away, when to just roll with it and stop trying for whatever you originally wanted). The problem with your move die is that it's just random, so you might want to consider something that gives the player a bit of choice. Maybe a limited number of rerolls or some sort of resource that can be spent to change the die result up or down?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Coldrice posted:

New dice roll mechanics
3 & 4 are neutral

I thought it was a fun game. Adding in moving enemies would make the dice rolling mechanic make a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I took part in the Global Game Jam this year. Although I thought a quote-based theme would be more limiting than the themes of the last two years (The picture of the Orobouros and the sound of the heartbeat) it seems like a lot of games I've been seeing are ones I have trouble connecting to the quote at all.

I browsed through the games that the Gamejam site decided to throw at me, and my favorite I've seen so far that I instantly connected with the quote was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4R9O3RY_8

My entry came out better than it has in past years, so I figured I'd show it off:
http://www.huehenry.com/GGJ2014/