Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
That Telegraph cartoon. Was it really necessary to draw Rennard sexually assaulting Clegg? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

David Cameron and William Hague have ultimate control over newspaper headlines. A Good Cartoon.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

There is a ghost slightly higher than Cameron reflected in that mirror.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

That Telegraph cartoon. Was it really necessary to draw Rennard sexually assaulting Clegg? :stare:

Having hold of somebody 'by the short and curlies' is an old saying for having a humiliating degree of power over somebody (and afaik, very rarely in a sexual sense). It's pretty crude to refer to a real sexual assault by means of a metaphorical one, but it sends a very strong (and unflattering) message with regards to Rennard's position within the party.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 21, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BastardySkull posted:

There is a ghost slightly higher than Cameron reflected in that mirror.

A balding ghost.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

Having hold of somebody 'by the short and curlies' is an old saying for having a humiliating degree of power over somebody (and afaik, very rarely in a sexual sense). It's pretty crude to refer to a real sexual assault by means of a metaphorical one, but it sends a very strong (and unflattering) message with regards to Rennard's position within the party.

Oh, come off it, it's very clearly a rape joke.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Oh, come off it, it's very clearly a rape joke.

No it isn't.

Idiom;
Got you by the balls.
Meaning - got you so you can't move or quit or back out.
Example - If you signed the contract, they've got you by the balls.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

No it isn't.

What part of "you're touching me inappropriately" is not a rape joke? It's both.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

SedanChair posted:

What part of "you're touching me inappropriately" is not a rape joke?

quote:

Rape
noun
the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
statutory rape.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.
verb (used with object), raped, rap·ing.
to force to have sexual intercourse.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.
verb (used without object), raped, rap·ing.
to commit rape.

I see him having him by his short and curlies, not putting his dick inside him.

quote:

have by the short and curlies

have somebody by the short and curlies (very informal) also have somebody by the short hairs (very informal)
to have complete power over someone They've got us by the short and curlies. We have no choice but to agree.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
loving hell it's obviously both, which still makes it poo poo.

Fluo posted:

I see him having him by his short and curlies, not putting his dick inside him.

The poo poo bit is how Clegg's been written :doh:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

That would be groping, not rape.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Fluo: wrong on anti-Asian caricatures, wrong on Stephen Collins, wrong on rape. Wrong for the people.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Fluo: wrong on anti-Asian caricatures, wrong on Stephen Collins, wrong on rape. Wrong for the people.

That Steve Bell cartoon where you had to zoom in 400times to see the pixels and to see it was eyebrows? I like Stephen Collins so I'm wrong there? oh ok.

Holding someone by the balls = groping = sexual assault, but you claim it's rape now adays? haha ok.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Women obviously can't rape men, because the crime of rape only applies to penile penetration.

—Fluo, 21st January 2014.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 21, 2014

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Know when to back down, Fluo.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Know when to back down, Fluo.

Sexual assault is bad, Rape is bad but they are different things, stop straw manning.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Sexual Offences Act, 2003 - Section 1 (Rape) posted:

Rape

(1)A person (A) commits an offence if—
(a)he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
(b)B does not consent to the penetration, and
(c)A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
(2)Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.
(3)Sections 75 and 76 apply to an offence under this section.
(4)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.

So in England and Wales, no, a woman cannot commit rape.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

Women obviously can't rape men, because the crime of rape only applies to penile penetration.

—Fluo, 21st January 2014.
Rape is always a sexual assault, but not all sexual assaults are rape?

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, this. The 'joke' to me seems to be that Rennard has Clegg by the balls, as per the old saying, but that Clegg is presenting this as sexual harassment because that's somehow less embarrassing.

Not sure exactly why they're being portrayed as Laurel and Hardy specifically though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kegluneq posted:

Rape is always a sexual assault, but not all sexual assaults are rape?

Yeah, this. The 'joke' to me seems to be that Rennard has Clegg by the balls, as per the old saying, but that Clegg is presenting this as sexual harassment because that's somehow less embarrassing.

Not sure exactly why they're being portrayed as Laurel and Hardy specifically though.

"It's not a rape joke because it's about sexual assault" is hair-splitting of the most banal variety.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

I don't know if it's meant to be less embarrassing, reads more like trying to mock the victims ("they'll call anything sexual harrassment these days") and emasculate Clegg at the same time

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Kegluneq posted:

He's clearly saying Clegg and Rennard are a couple of clowns. Clegg is skinny and Rennard is fat, that's it.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 22, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

TinTower posted:

"It's not a rape joke because it's about sexual assault" is hair-splitting of the most banal variety.
Given that they are legally distinct things, not really. I mean, it's not like one is reprehensible but the other isn't or something. If you view groping as rape then there isn't much room to move from there I guess.

baka kaba posted:

I don't know if it's meant to be less embarrassing, reads more like trying to mock the victims ("they'll call anything sexual harrassment these days") and emasculate Clegg at the same time
It's pretty definitely inappropriate touching however you look at it. Clegg is being both emasculated and feminised here though, so it is undeniably crass.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
One does question why the legal distinction is particularly important - it doesn't magically change it to be not a really loving lovely cartoon

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

Given that they are legally distinct things, not really. I mean, it's not like one is reprehensible but the other isn't or something. If you view groping as rape then there isn't much room to move from there I guess.

It's pretty definitely inappropriate touching however you look at it. Clegg is being both emasculated and feminised here though, so it is undeniably crass.

But it's a metaphor for him 'having Clegg by the balls' which is about power, like you said. It's implying that Rennard is making Clegg's political life hell, and Clegg is desperately throwing around sexual harrassment allegations to attack him - which has been the common response to this whole thing, that Rennard 'wasn't doing anything sexual at all' and that the women were just making something out of nothing, misreading things, making serious allegations as a way of destroying him etc. It pretty clearly feeds in to that whole 'victims are liars and use sexual assault claims as a weapon' rape apology line

And really, it's not helpful getting all legal about the definition of rape when people are talking about rape culture. There isn't a clear dividing line that separates sexual assault and rape into two completely different issues. A joke that belittles victims and paints accusations as a punchline is part of the whole, entire, problem

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 22, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on evidence of 'systematic killing' in Syria – Documents smuggled out of country may only be the tip of the iceberg, say international aid agencies"

Telegraph:

Rennard set to take legal action over Lib Dem suspension

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
"Women Lib-Dems are threatening to sue Lord Rennard over improper sexual behaviour towards them."

quote:

“Oh come on, Mother. How are you going to prove Lloyd George pinched your bottom?”

Express:

David Beckham to appear in Only Fools and Horses

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

baka kaba posted:

And really, it's not helpful getting all legal about the definition of rape when people are talking about rape culture. There isn't a clear dividing line that separates sexual assault and rape into two completely different issues. A joke that belittles victims and paints accusations as a punchline is part of the whole, entire, problem
I agree with this, but at the same time it's worth noting that Rennard is not being accused of rape. The allegations made public so far relate to groping, which is terrible but doesn't put him on the same level as, say, Nigel Evans.

This story is disturbing as poo poo. I know going Godwin is completely redundant at this point, but this is literally the same process as used in concentration camps, down to the euphemisms for cause of death. :smith:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Syria peace talks - Little sign of constructive action in Syrian peace talks despite Ban Ki-moon's call to seize 'fragile chance'"

Telegraph:

UK unemployment rate drops to 7.1%

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
"There has been a significant increase in the numbers of men in their late twenties and early thirties still living with their parents."

quote:

“When you said come back to my place, I didn’t know you were still living with your parents.”

Express:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Syria peace talks - Little sign of constructive action in Syrian peace talks despite Ban Ki-moon's call to seize 'fragile chance'"

Was watching some of the stuff yesterday, it was depressing and they just went on a propaganda ramble at each other. :negative:

This weeks IF... about Benefit Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkrX5J73Vi4

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 23, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on IDS and Benefits Street - Work and pensions secretary gives speech denigrating Labour's record and claiming welfare reforms are working"

Telegraph:

David Cameron 'open minded' on Syrian refugees, says No 10

Independent:

After Kurt Hutton.

Times:

Davos 2014: US says businesses should be 'cautious' over Iran

Mail:
"Yet another sex scandal hits the Lib-Dems."

quote:

“Ooh look at that tattoo, Ingrid. It says vote Lib-Dem.”

Express:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nothing like a couple bottles of badger wine to get the night going.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That's either some used bog roll or the world's longest pair of socks on the ground.

Maybe they're judges' wigs?

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

That's either some used bog roll or the world's longest pair of socks on the ground.

Maybe they're judges' wigs?

They're probably meant to be stockings. I don't know any middle-aged women that wear opaque black and white striped stockings, though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on David Cameron and rising incomes – PM says take-home pay is rising, but IFS boss says incomes will not hit pre-recession levels before next election"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Jan Brueghel the Elder.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'd ask what the hell BOB is on about this time, but I don't really care. He's probably worse than Thomas in a lot of ways, and that's saying something. I guess he's not a xenophobe at least?

And why's Gideon pointing at his toes...

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Crisis? What crisis? - Chris Riddell on the prime minister's confidence and the governor of the Bank of England's caution"

Sunday Telegraph:

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Ugh the Telegraph cartoons are so relentlessly partisan, every cartoon this week has been a criticism of Labour or a jibe at the Lib Dems, at least Bell and Rowson were equally harsh to Labour when they were in power.

I mean can someone explain this? Other than "Tories sensible, Labour irresponsible" I have no idea, the scene (set at a border crossing?) and strange clothing seems to imply some kind of tv show or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Ugh the Telegraph cartoons are so relentlessly partisan, every cartoon this week has been a criticism of Labour or a jibe at the Lib Dems, at least Bell and Rowson were equally harsh to Labour when they were in power.

I mean can someone explain this? Other than "Tories sensible, Labour irresponsible" I have no idea, the scene (set at a border crossing?) and strange clothing seems to imply some kind of tv show or something.
Conservatives are supposed to be the mature adult, with Milliband playing the role of an irrational angry teenager. The 'responsibility' is supposed to be the economic collapse happening when Labour were in power. I think the barrier is just supposed to be an office entry gate or something.

edit: vvvv
Pretty much every stereotypical 'angry teenager' in tv-movies, soaps, and sitcoms from the 80s and 90s. It's so much of a trope that I don't think you can pinpoint a single one. If it's supposed to be a direct reference to one in particular it's passed me by.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 26, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well, obviously. The question is, does anyone get the reference it's making?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The most obvious "a thing happened" is Justin Bieber's DUI, and it would even fit the point Bob's trying to make. None of the specifics match though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ed Balls and the 50p tax plan – Shadow chancellor emphasises that higher rate would be temporary after criticism from companies and ex-ministers"

Telegraph:

Times:

Express:

• Locked thread