Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Why did you get a great pyrenees when you live in the suburbs? :psyduck: They are a working breed that is the antithesis of "family pet".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Kerfuffle posted:

Why did you get a great pyrenees when you live in the suburbs? :psyduck: They are a working breed that is the antithesis of "family pet".

When looking into it we were assured by the rescue that they could make a great family pet. If we were led astray, I apologize? As I stated, I want to make the best of the situation. We give him well over an hour of play every day, he goes running with me, he passes out in the middle of the floor usually, it's really just the barking.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm sorry. :( I sincerely hope you weren't intentionally lied to. Your dog is barking like crazy because he needs a job so he's giving itself one. They're livestock guardians, barking at problems is what they do.

There are several dog trainers that post here so hopefully they'll be able to give you a better idea of the threat barking problem is something you can curb. Best of luck.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
We gots ourselves our rescue dog just an hour and a half ago, this guy: http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/263572 .

He grins like that constantly. Has already jumped under the house and intentionally gotten himself saturated, so that's good he's not afraid of water.

We're planning on doing the slow intro to the cats, so for the next week he's outside looking in at the cats. There was a bit of a spat before with our oldest cat (~2 years) getting behind the blinds and spotting the dog and them both kinda going a bit mental at each other. We calmed him by moving him away so the cat was at the edge of his vision and then treating and praising him while he maintained calm. So far so good.

Any tips on introducing them would be greatly appreciated though!

EDIT: Shouldn't have drunkposted - jumped under the hose I meant.

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 18, 2014

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

:3: we're being gentle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
How much do most puppies cry? I've had Sherlock for just over a week and even though I don't come when he cries or barks and wait until he's quiet before I open his crate he SCREAMS when I leave the area until he kinda forgets about me. I'm going to start click and treat for when he screams and then gets quiet as this is a really undesirable behaviour. Is this something that happens and he will grow out of or a purely self-reinforcing bad behaviour (which is what I think it is and how I'm treating it).

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

crowtribe posted:

We gots ourselves our rescue dog just an hour and a half ago, this guy: http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/263572 .

He grins like that constantly. Has already jumped under the house and intentionally gotten himself saturated, so that's good he's not afraid of water.

He looks like a good boy. :3: Also HAART is a great rescue so I'm glad to see them being supported!

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
We also fostered a cat that we foster-failed and adopted just a few weeks ago through HAART.

This is my first ever dog as an adult, so I'm trying my hardest not to stress out about anything. I just try and remember he's been in kennels for a while so he's still settling in. That and we've officially only had him for 48 hours now.

I'm keen to get home and see how he's done by himself for the day. I hope the cats haven't been teasing him through the glass :/

crowtribe fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 20, 2014

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

luscious posted:

How much do most puppies cry? I've had Sherlock for just over a week and even though I don't come when he cries or barks and wait until he's quiet before I open his crate he SCREAMS when I leave the area until he kinda forgets about me. I'm going to start click and treat for when he screams and then gets quiet as this is a really undesirable behaviour. Is this something that happens and he will grow out of or a purely self-reinforcing bad behaviour (which is what I think it is and how I'm treating it).

Have you tried putting a blanket over his crate? Our frenchie used to cry a lot at nights, then we started the blanket over him and after a fortnight or so he was fine without it. Don't know the psychology behind it, or whether it'd work for short intervals, but it worked for us.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Have you tried putting a blanket over his crate? Our frenchie used to cry a lot at nights, then we started the blanket over him and after a fortnight or so he was fine without it. Don't know the psychology behind it, or whether it'd work for short intervals, but it worked for us.

It simulates a Safe Den feel. Maybe try playing some radio quietly near his crate as well. That helped with Nyx and her late night whining.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Benson Cunningham posted:

When looking into it we were assured by the rescue that they could make a great family pet. If we were led astray, I apologize? As I stated, I want to make the best of the situation. We give him well over an hour of play every day, he goes running with me, he passes out in the middle of the floor usually, it's really just the barking.

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry. He's not going to stop. He's a pyr. :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Superconsndar posted:

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry. He's not going to stop. He's a pyr. :(

He's actually become a great deal better about it in the last week. When we first got him, it was absolutely constant from 6pm to bedtime, then around 4am he would start up again. Now he is sleeping through the night with us and barking a more reasonable amount.

It's not perfect yet, but I'm definitely happier about the situation right now.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I got a first dog of my own nearly two weeks ago, a little pug who I've named Frodo. Here he is the day we brought him home:

So far he's been doing very well, but while he hasn't had that many accidents with his toilet training when I play with him downstairs, whenever I have him in my bedroom he seems intent on going under my bed and pooping there. He hasn't been able to finish pooping under my bed because I manage to get him out and onto a pad so I don't have to clean poop out of carpet, but is there any real solution to this besides just picking him up and turning him around every time he tries to crawl under the bed?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Block it off so he can't start to go under in the first place.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
What I did when I first brought home Sherlock (two weeks ago...) was blocked off his "problem areas" and then anytime I saw him heading over to a "problem area" that was blocked off I would rush him to a potty area. At first I was using pads inside (because I live in a building and it takes us ~10 minutes from his interruption to outside and by then he would have stopped) so I built him a little "litter area" on my balcony that he has actually been really good at using. After giving him treats for lettting him out he's started to catch on and will run to the balcony door when he has to go (as well as me prompting him). I'm actually going to start training him to use the "bells" to get my attention if I'm not watching him 100% (which really never happens.)

I fully understand that I'm going to have to train him out of using the balcony but will do that when the weather and living situation is a bit different and he doesn't shut down from the temperature.

FWIW, it's -20F here and he's a Boston Terrier who starts shivering within 3 minutes of being outside.

Also not a trainer and don't have a lot of experience at all obviously but it's working for us right now and that to me is better than indoor pads or lots of accidents inside and still not undestanding what outside is other than possibly a punishment.

luscious fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2014

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Oh my god my puppy is 13 15 weeks and has reached her "terrible twos" or whatever equivalent this would be. She is resource guarding everything.... Her bowl, the couch, her toys.... I purchased the Jean Donaldson book so I could work with her on it.

She is not following any of her commands. We say sit and she just stands and stares at us. She's been getting into everything and ignoring us. Lots of chewing, her new teeth are coming in. Oh boy...

So far, the couch is off limits now. We are taking away toys that seem to be high stakes for her. We are trying to get her to sit before we give anything to her (treat, toy, food bowl, put her on the leash). When she snarls, snaps, bites we put her in time out. I feel like I have a disgruntled teenager who is like "gently caress you guys, I'm going to do what I want and ignore you!"

Looking into obedience courses ASAP.

Further advice???

E: we are doubting she is anything rottweiler like the original owner said (they told us mom was a rott and dad was either beagle/Doberman...) as she is only 11 lbs and is projected to be at most 20-25. We now think she is min pin/beagle.

anaaki fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 26, 2014

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I think you would benefit a lot more from having a behaviorist come to your home for private sessions to work on her issues than going to an obedience class. That's some pretty serious behavior for a 13-week-old puppy.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Skizzles posted:

I think you would benefit a lot more from having a behaviorist come to your home for private sessions to work on her issues than going to an obedience class. That's some pretty serious behavior for a 13-week-old puppy.

The daycare woman says she even likes to boss the big dogs...

This is the most professional dog behaviorist in the area: http://www.barkbusters.com/dog-training-grand-rapids Thoughts?

E: don't know if I like that they use the whole dominance/pack theory....

E2:
Okay so after a lot of discussion with my husband and going over the facts, we are going to make some changes with PG.

This is the daycare service we are currently using: http://www.bcpetboarding.com
While the lady is super nice, it seems like it is just not going to work for us. We need someone who works with dogs professionally, where as this lady works with these animals out of her home. It's just her and 5-7 dogs (maybe more?). Except for PG and one corgi, the other dogs are all large and XL breeds (labs, goldens, St. Bernard, a Pitt). She does have kennels and work with a local no kill shelter. She is knowledgable about animals, but she is still one woman and I don't know how much attention she is paying to our pup. Plus lately she has been telling me that PG has been playing outside with the big dogs. I don't know if this is supervised or not.

We DO need a dog daycare until PG gets older though, since our work schedules have exploded and we've been working 10 hours daily and we can't stop back at home for bathroom breaks anymore. Plus plus my dog sitter got a job. We can't pen her because she's an escape artist.

However, the other place I am looking into, she has to be 5 months old (all puppy vaccs plus kennel cough). As of today she is actually closer to 15 weeks 3.5 months). Her next booster is next week and she already had her kennel cough.

This is the place I would like her to go: http://www.thewellmannereddog.com/index.php
They have a full time staff, would place her with age appropriate puppies, and also we would go there for obedience training so they would keep up on that.

As far as dog behaviorists in the area, there is the one above, which I am honestly not feeling well about, or there is this lady: http://goodlittledog.com

Anyway, that is what I am thinking. It doesn't help that we will be out of town Feb 1-4 for a wedding and have to board her :( Our current daycare lady said she can stay with her, but I don't know at this point if that is a good option, because she will be treated as a family pet and stay in the home. This sounds all "awe how nice" but maybe she needs some structure?

anaaki fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2014

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

anaaki posted:

Oh my god my puppy is 13 weeks and has reached her "terrible twos" or whatever equivalent this would be. She is resource guarding everything.... Her bowl, the couch, her toys.... I purchased the Jean Donaldson book so I could work with her on it.

A 13 week old puppy absolutely should not be resource guarding things. It's not just a puppy stage, it's serious. Don't go to bark busters; you need to find a trainer/behaviourist who uses R+ methods. Using dominance methods on a resource guarding puppy isn't just way overkill, it's also likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I looked on IAABC for actual behaviorists in your area (anyone can be a dog trainer, you have to actually have an education to be a behaviorist). Apparently Brenda Aloff is about 85 miles from you. Too bad that's a lovely drive, I hear she's good.

The closest CAAB I could find on Animal Behavior Society's site is in Ann Arbor. I dunno if that's too much of a drive as well. Her website is here: http://www.aboutdogsllc.com/

But definitely avoid Bark Busters. I can almost guarantee they will ruin your puppy. The Good Little Dog lady may be fine, I didn't poke around her site too much but she seems decent, nothing special. I don't know how much experience she has with resource guarding/aggression, especially in such a young puppy.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Skizzles posted:

I looked on IAABC for actual behaviorists in your area (anyone can be a dog trainer, you have to actually have an education to be a behaviorist). Apparently Brenda Aloff is about 85 miles from you. Too bad that's a lovely drive, I hear she's good.

The closest CAAB I could find on Animal Behavior Society's site is in Ann Arbor. I dunno if that's too much of a drive as well. Her website is here: http://www.aboutdogsllc.com/

But definitely avoid Bark Busters. I can almost guarantee they will ruin your puppy. The Good Little Dog lady may be fine, I didn't poke around her site too much but she seems decent, nothing special. I don't know how much experience she has with resource guarding/aggression, especially in such a young puppy.

Ah Ann Arbor is 3 hours from me :( one of the people on the list who is out there does skype so maybe that could be an option?

Bark Busters called me tonight, on a Sunday, at 5pm. Totally a joke! The woman who was the secretary that received my survey info that I had initially input earlier this morning told me how they don't use clickers, treats, toys, or rewards. And it costs $600+ for the guy to come into my home once for 2 hours, consult with my dog, tell me what to do, and then I get a life time worth of check ups. :rolleyes: I politely declined and hung up.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My SO and I are adopting our first dog. We met her today and both of us can't stop talking about her. I've literally spent the past 3 hours shopping for things for her and she already has 3 blankets, 4 toys, a crate and a dog bed.

I just had to post because I feel like I'm about to burst.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

anaaki posted:

Ah Ann Arbor is 3 hours from me :( one of the people on the list who is out there does skype so maybe that could be an option?

Bark Busters called me tonight, on a Sunday, at 5pm. Totally a joke! The woman who was the secretary that received my survey info that I had initially input earlier this morning told me how they don't use clickers, treats, toys, or rewards. And it costs $600+ for the guy to come into my home once for 2 hours, consult with my dog, tell me what to do, and then I get a life time worth of check ups. :rolleyes: I politely declined and hung up.

Oh I may have gotten your location wrong then, so you may want to re-search.

$600 for a 2-hour session is ludicrous. I charge $60 for an hour, which is still fairly cheap since I'm a noob, but I don't know any decent trainer who charges over $150. I would definitely check into the Skype thing. I know Emily Larlham (Dogmantics dog training) will also do Skype consults, you could check with her as well.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Oh I may have gotten your location wrong then, so you may want to re-search.

$600 for a 2-hour session is ludicrous. I charge $60 for an hour, which is still fairly cheap since I'm a noob, but I don't know any decent trainer who charges over $150. I would definitely check into the Skype thing. I know Emily Larlham (Dogmantics dog training) will also do Skype consults, you could check with her as well.

I'm in Grand Rapids now. You would think there would be *something* but we're not a legit city.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

anaaki posted:

I'm in Grand Rapids now. You would think there would be *something* but we're not a legit city.
Is it really that long to Ann Arbor? I don't think the drive was that long even from Holland to Detroit. I have to admit I get ridiculous warm and fuzzy feelings just thinking about Grand Rapids. Ridiculous :D

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
One thing I have discovered about my alien teddy bear dog is that walking him is a bit like being with someone who is slightly famous- I had 3 or 4 people stop me and ask if they could take pictures of Frodo on a pretty short walk down to a nearby park, and someone even stopped their car to lean out the window and coo at him. I've never had this experience walking my parents' labrador or the blue heeler/german pointer puppies they got recently.

Frodo is absolutely mad about grass, if you take to some grass he will zoom around while simultaneously trying to eat any grass that moves in the wind. He also thinks his leash is a toy, which I'm not sure whether I want to discourage or not

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Oh my god you guys. Why is the Cesar Milan way the only way these dog trainers believe in :psyduck:

Sooo yeah. Guess I am not taking my puppy to "The well mannered dog".

I just called to find out some more information about their puppy daycare. They said they also will let her roam with the big dogs and let them teach her through dog language (sure, I get it, but she needs to be around PUPPIES too). Argh. She said we could set up individual training (no) with their special trainer (no) who follows the teachings of Cesard Milan (no) in that I would be the leader in my own home (no). Jesus Christ, y'all.

Let me just say this. I work with children, ages 5-14. If I ever said, "instead of immediate feedback and praise, how about I just push those kids around and show them that I'm the boss because what they obviously are lacking in their education is a dominate leader," I would quickly be out of a job. I can't smack a kid upside the head, shush him, poke him, grab him by his shirt and tug on him.

Why do people thing this works with dogs, who are MUCH more reward driven and eager to please?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

anaaki posted:

Oh my god you guys. Why is the Cesar Milan way the only way these dog trainers believe in :psyduck:

Sooo yeah. Guess I am not taking my puppy to "The well mannered dog".

I just called to find out some more information about their puppy daycare. They said they also will let her roam with the big dogs and let them teach her through dog language (sure, I get it, but she needs to be around PUPPIES too). Argh. She said we could set up individual training (no) with their special trainer (no) who follows the teachings of Cesard Milan (no) in that I would be the leader in my own home (no). Jesus Christ, y'all.

Let me just say this. I work with children, ages 5-14. If I ever said, "instead of immediate feedback and praise, how about I just push those kids around and show them that I'm the boss because what they obviously are lacking in their education is a dominate leader," I would quickly be out of a job. I can't smack a kid upside the head, shush him, poke him, grab him by his shirt and tug on him.

Why do people thing this works with dogs, who are MUCH more reward driven and eager to please?

I've known some 14 year olds (and, arguably, was one myself) that could have benefited from a firm thwapping and collar pull.

Content: Agreed. Until recently I had no idea how prevailing an opinion it was that dominance would be the de facto form of training for the majority of trainers. I live in a podunk town that can barely read and the (contractual) trainer at the (otherwise fantastic) pet store/day care/kennel/puppy gym/groomers practices the thwap method. Fortunately, the trainer is not the "regular" one, who had to move out of the area after a divorce when we first started puppy kindergarten (she finished out the class but didn't hold any more). We've never used this guy but the rest of their services are stellar. Anyway, I just don't get how this idea gets into so many people that even in a backwards place like this where they do pretty much everything else "right" could still use a trainer like that.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I dug around for a few more places that might at least have a decent puppy class and be able to refer you to more extensive help. They don't have amazing credentials but it will help you at least get started while you find a real behaviorist.

http://www.pawsitivecaninetraining.com/Home_Page.php

http://www.htdogtraining.com/

Instead of day care can you find a dog walker to take her out during the day? You'll still have to work on socialization but you won't have to fix problems he's developing in "thunderdome" style daycare.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
My girlfriend is thinking about getting a dog but lives in a pretty small studio apartment in a major metropolitan area. Is there any medium sized breed of dog that wouldn't go absolutely insane in these conditions? Between the two of us the dog would have quite a bit of attention during the day and would get walked and taken to parks often, just worried about the environment.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

My SO and I are adopting our first dog. We met her today and both of us can't stop talking about her. I've literally spent the past 3 hours shopping for things for her and she already has 3 blankets, 4 toys, a crate and a dog bed.

I just had to post because I feel like I'm about to burst.

And in a few weeks she'll have 12 blanket pieces, 0 toys, and a crate and bed that are too small. :v:

Edit:

Sharzak posted:

My girlfriend is thinking about getting a dog but lives in a pretty small studio apartment in a major metropolitan area. Is there any medium sized breed of dog that wouldn't go absolutely insane in these conditions? Between the two of us the dog would have quite a bit of attention during the day and would get walked and taken to parks often, just worried about the environment.

There's nothing inherently wrong with having a dog in a studio apartment. Most dogs are really adaptive and can live anywhere, providing their needs are met. It sounds like you'll be giving it plenty of attention so there shouldn't be any problems.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

mcswizzle posted:

I've known some 14 year olds (and, arguably, was one myself) that could have benefited from a firm thwapping and collar pull.

Hah! Just because I can't, doesn't mean I don't WANT to sometimes! :colbert:

quote:

Content: Agreed. Until recently I had no idea how prevailing an opinion it was that dominance would be the de facto form of training for the majority of trainers. I live in a podunk town that can barely read and the (contractual) trainer at the (otherwise fantastic) pet store/day care/kennel/puppy gym/groomers practices the thwap method. Fortunately, the trainer is not the "regular" one, who had to move out of the area after a divorce when we first started puppy kindergarten (she finished out the class but didn't hold any more). We've never used this guy but the rest of their services are stellar. Anyway, I just don't get how this idea gets into so many people that even in a backwards place like this where they do pretty much everything else "right" could still use a trainer like that.

I vented my frustrations on my Facebook today and was met with a couple friends replies of "whaaa? What's wrong with the Dog Whisperer? He's great!" :argh:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I dug around for a few more places that might at least have a decent puppy class and be able to refer you to more extensive help. They don't have amazing credentials but it will help you at least get started while you find a real behaviorist.

http://www.pawsitivecaninetraining.com/Home_Page.php

http://www.htdogtraining.com/

Instead of day care can you find a dog walker to take her out during the day? You'll still have to work on socialization but you won't have to fix problems he's developing in "thunderdome" style daycare.

Thanks! I emailed someone from MSU in East Lansing because so far it is the closest prospect (90 minutes). However, she told me she is the professor of animal behavioral studies, and does not do one-on-one. However, she did give me some contacts. I did contact this woman, despite her website message that she is on sabbatical: http://www.pawsitivebehaviorllc.com/

When she said she could refer me to others, the first thing I said was, "Thanks, however, I just want to say that I am looking for people who do NOT abide by Cesar Millan's techniques and am looking moreso for positive reinforcement and operant conditioning."

She pretty much squealed and was delighted to hear me say that. She will be back to work in a couple months, but talked to me on the phone for over a half over. She mentioned Jean Donaldson and Kikopup, both of which have been mentioned here on the forums. Even though she is a licensed dog trainer, and not licensed behaviorist, she did seem fairly knowledgable, especially with resource guarding. She referred me here: http://k9academyinternational.com/index.php

She told me to observe puppy at daycare for any signs of stress (stiffening up, body language, etc). It could be that she is over-stimulated at daycare and bringing that stress home with her.

It makes sense, to my teacher brain. It's the same with kids... you take a quiet kid and put them in an overstimulating environment it's going to cause anxiety. We've been home today because of a snow day, and yes she gets into things, but for the most part she's had a mellow day, compared to daycare where I think she runs around all day.

Are there any websites to look for reliable dog walkers? Or is that more for bigger cities?

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
We got a dog walker off https://www.care.com, but YMMV. It took us a weeks worth of daily interviews to find someone that really clicked with our dogs. And it's a site for more than just dogwalkers so you might get someone who is trying to babysit but just clicked the extra button. One of the girls we interviewed and gave a test run with our dogs gave them frozen filet of fish when she crated them, rather than the peanut butter kong's in the fridge because she didn't know what a kong was.

We did interview some people from craigslist but to little avail. The best we found was a High School kid who could come in the afternoon, but we found someone a little more qualified in the end.

Your situation may be different, but for the first meetings with our dogs and the prospective walkers, we had them meet us at the pet store in the puppy gym and let them hang out and get the dogs used to them, and then the few that we thought were OK we invited on a weekend to our home to test the waters. It made getting them in the house incredibly easier than it's been to have newcomers over before - our dogs get super excited and jumpy with new people coming in and since they already knew the walkers they were slightly more manageable, and a lot less barky. Just some info from my experience in a similar situation.

Good luck finding a dog walker.

e: care.com is not free, you have to pay for an account.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

mcswizzle posted:

It's almost as though many people don't think of dogs the same way they think of humans, and will accept the advice of an expert on the topic of dogs when it comes to dog training, regardless of what other people (who are less visible and not marketed as experts) think about that.

Obviously there's lots of good arguments as to why you shouldn't follow the "pack leader" method of dog training, but "oh my god, would you do that to your kids!!!?" isn't really one of them, because dogs are not human children and most people will think you are a crazy person if you talk about them that way.

Cesar Milan has also, in recent years, come much more toward the the more modern Divert and Reward style of training, but people don't actually watch his show and the only thing they remember is the pseudomystical packleader BS that's pervaded pop culture. On newer episodes of his show, I haven't seen him do anything physical with a dog other than gentle tugs and touches to redirect their attention from a source of agitation. He's much more about identifying sources of bad behavior and desensitizing the dogs to them now.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Well, I don't have the puppy yet but I already have a question. I thought I saw a post about this while lurking, but I couldn't find it via searching. One of the volunteers says that she doesn't think the puppy's been socialized very well. On walks, she freaks out at approaching people/dogs. Lots of lunges and barking. But apparently nothing actually indicating aggression, just an act. Totally friendly and chill when people are already around her and in small group environments (she was perfectly happy and sweet when we went to visit her). She also likes to be the 'boss' on walks and walks ahead.

Now for the last part, I've read to do clicker training with positive reinforcement when there's slack in the leash and just stopping and ignoring her when she tries to walk ahead/pull. But I'm not sure how to deal with flipping out that's not aggression.

We'll probably take her to private training sessions to help her out if it turns out to be bad, but figured we could get some advice beforehand as well.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

That sounds like reactivity spurred by excitement and frustration. It's relatively simple to treat, but requires a fair amount of diligence and consistency. You could probably get a decent idea of how best to treat it by browsing the forums. We had a reactive dog support group thread for a while, plus we talk about it a fair amount in the dog training megathread. Patricia McConnell's "Feisty Fido" booklet will give you a good idea of how to progress. Working with a trainer who knows what they're doing will help you pick up on things that you might not have on your own.

This article may help you too. I stumbled upon it recently and think it's a good one. http://awesomedogs.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/treat-training-trinity-why-positive-reinforcement-did-not-work-for-my-dog/

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Woohoo! The trainer I had a loooong conversation with this morning who mentioned to me Kikopup and Jean Donaldson called me back this evening! Originally when I had called her she had told me she was taking a break (her website said she is on sabbatical) but we gave me a lot of insight on the phone to what my dog may be feeling.

She said that she had been thinking about our talk all day and how impressed she was that I knew about Kikopup and Jean Donaldson (thanks PI! :eng101:) and that she was glad I was willing to stand up for my dog and say specifically that I did NOT want to do any neg reinforcement or Dog Whisperer type training on her. She also said that because resource guarding needs such a specific type of training she wanted to work with me herself.

Her rate: $65/hour (session) or $180 for three. Plus it's in home. I have to do a 5 page questionnaire and what not.

So glad to have finally found someone who understands what I am looking for in a coach! Hopefully we can turn puppy into a first class doggy citizen.

Plus, good job PI goons, for converting me and making me seem all knowledgeable about pets and things. Thanks for your help! :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That's awesome! Hope she can really help you and your pup. :) Keep us updated.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Not sure if I should ask this here or the training thread but here it goes. I'm not sure exactly how to phrase this but our pup is very fixated on her toys when we play. She's a little over 8 months old and she knows sit, stay (to an extent), drop it and leave it, she can give both paws on command and she's learning down. She is very good with fetch. She goes absolutely crazy over tennis balls. However, I must be holding the ball in my hand to get her to listen to any command I'm giving her. For instance, if I have the ball in hand and I ask her to sit and give paw and then lay down and give other paw, she will follow my every command. However, if I leave the ball on the floor at my feet and ask her to sit, she won't break eye contact with the ball and will just attempt to grab it. She's weird because I can also get her to lay down and tell her to stay while I roll the ball past her, she won't break eye contact with the ball but she won't go get it until I tell her "okay go get it". What steps can I do to get her to ignore the object?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This doesn't answer your question, but have you looked into Flyball? I think a dog that ball focused would LOVE it.