Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alright so I'm comfortably certain this is just a cold and not a flu thing, I didn't go wednesday to be safe but I might go today.

The big thing about the dojo that I always feel embarrassed about but somehow keep doing over and over is almost accidentally getting creamed by others sparring as I'm trying to thread my way to the water fountain. I imagine the way its supposed to work is you walk along the edges but we're sometimes such a crowded class that this is no more safer than trying to cut through the middle. :(

Two questions I got, (1) is there a particular stretching exersize for learning how to sit down on your knees? Definitely some muscles getting stretched there. I can't pay attention at all to the main demonstrations unless I'm sitting with my back up against a wall or a column otherwise my mind is too focused trying to maintain my sitting posture.

(2) Often my big problem with grappling/holds is once I'm on the flat of my back there's some kind of pain that really makes it hard to struggle with my full strength to try to shake the guy off me. I always sleep on my sides so I think that may be related, it seems like being 'flat' is something my body doesn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I really wish I could find a secluded place for me to perform daily suburi with my shinai without looking like a weeaboo :smith: Not having vaulted ceilings in my apartment is super limiting.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
ASDFASFASFAG just came from a super intense bodyweight and heavy bag circuit where the idea is to go 105% and 105% only after you warm up (IMPROVE THAT VO2 MAX, BITCH), and sparred bit after that. It never ceases to amaze me how much better sparring is when you are already very tired, but really "loose", and still feeling good. The punches truly come from your legs and waist at that point with the arms serving merely to connect your fists to the power mechanism that is the rest of your body. That is all.

(What a useful post :v:)

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Syphilis Fish posted:

The past two days we had a new guy in the class. A total jerk*. Yesterday he was slamming people into the wall, going balls hard on all the newbs and being impossible to instruct. (ok let me see that armbar / scissor sweep so.. /WHAT I'm DOING IT RIGHT!?!?! *Angerface*.) then last night I rolled with him after he went hogwild on a few month whitebelt, kept trashing him around after the round ended so I was like yooo end of round bubba. I was like, welp, guess I need to roll with him because everyone else is too n00b and could hurt themselves. Shook hands, he tried to crush my hand. We started, and we almost roll over some people's legs so I go like hey bub let's calm down and move over here and he jumps up and yells : WHAT DID I DO WRONG?! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WRONG NOW MAN?! WHAT THE gently caress!?!?!? and I'm like.. dude we almost rolled right on top of them, just courtesy bud. He just kept going hogwild, being mad when I armbarred him every time. A danger to others. When he left, he only shook my hand, ignored everyone else.

Guys like this, you gotta regulate.

Sorry for the rant, but people like that just irk me and I had to get this of my chest... because I don't want to be forced to

(* he's a marine, so you might know the type )
ha with the new year crowd we're dealing with the same problem - a weight lifter / rec wrestler who doesn't do any warmups and when asked to do repetitive drills by the upper belts he lies about how many reps he's done. Then he goes hard against the other noobs and avoids the people better than him saying that he's too tired.

After the guy shoved his elbow in my back after falling I began to regulate. Instructor had a chat with him but we're hoping he'll just stop coming.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Syphilis Fish posted:

The past two days we had a new guy in the class. A total jerk*. Yesterday he was slamming people into the wall, going balls hard on all the newbs and being impossible to instruct. (ok let me see that armbar / scissor sweep so.. /WHAT I'm DOING IT RIGHT!?!?! *Angerface*.) then last night I rolled with him after he went hogwild on a few month whitebelt, kept trashing him around after the round ended so I was like yooo end of round bubba. I was like, welp, guess I need to roll with him because everyone else is too n00b and could hurt themselves. Shook hands, he tried to crush my hand. We started, and we almost roll over some people's legs so I go like hey bub let's calm down and move over here and he jumps up and yells : WHAT DID I DO WRONG?! WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WRONG NOW MAN?! WHAT THE gently caress!?!?!? and I'm like.. dude we almost rolled right on top of them, just courtesy bud. He just kept going hogwild, being mad when I armbarred him every time. A danger to others. When he left, he only shook my hand, ignored everyone else.

Guys like this, you gotta regulate.

Sorry for the rant, but people like that just irk me and I had to get this of my chest... because I don't want to be forced to

(* he's a marine, so you might know the type )

Bangkero posted:

ha with the new year crowd we're dealing with the same problem - a weight lifter / rec wrestler who doesn't do any warmups and when asked to do repetitive drills by the upper belts he lies about how many reps he's done. Then he goes hard against the other noobs and avoids the people better than him saying that he's too tired.

After the guy shoved his elbow in my back after falling I began to regulate. Instructor had a chat with him but we're hoping he'll just stop coming.

Jeez, it's stories like this that help me understand why our gym doesn't let entry- and intermediate level students spar until we've tested into the upper level classes. Probably a good thing that the bro-dudes get weeded out by the time they've earned the right to test into the upper level classes.

---

Well, the shoulder is feeling better. I read a few articles online that mentioned concentrating on shoulder exercises when lifting. So I took it safe by doing some deadlifts, cleans and one-armed kettlebell swings. That seemed to help the shoulder pain go down. One odd thing is that when I do workout the shoulder - whether via lifting or classes - it feels better for a while. It's only after class that the pain comes back.

Guess it's time to schedule that doc appointment. (Yay! I have insurance now! No crippling debt for me! :911:)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dolemite posted:

Jeez, it's stories like this that help me understand why our gym doesn't let entry- and intermediate level students spar until we've tested into the upper level classes. Probably a good thing that the bro-dudes get weeded out by the time they've earned the right to test into the upper level classes.

From my experience, the guy he's describing is an extreme outlier, in terms of sickishness, the likes of which I've never seen.

e: dickishness…loving autocorrect

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 25, 2014

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Kekekela posted:

From my experience, the guy he's describing is an extreme outlier, in terms of sickishness, the likes of which I've never seen.

yeah this isn't common. We get plenty of regular level ego douches but this was just extreme. I understand not letting a guy like that roll, but that's kind our thing. It's rarely that much of a problem. This guy just really jumped out with his aggresive behavior, hell I was teaching class, and I asked him if he could do the move we were drilling again (I was going from group to group checking to see if they're doing it right, if they have questions or poo poo they've figured out/noticed) and he was like : WHAT!??! I"M DOING IT RIGHT! (he wasn't). I had never seen stuff like that.

And well, I'm (one of the) the weeder outer(s)/regulators I guess. Only thing that works on these guys is Shoulder of Justice/ crushing their ego over and over and over again until they start to figure it out. All the purples have agreed to just loving smash this guy into the ground, paste him over the floor until he calms down so he's ok to roll with the others.

I've had a lot of ego guys in the gym, but this guy is rare in my experience. We've reformed a lot of guys this way, but I'm not sure if we can this guy.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I live near a Marine base so like half the gyms I've ever been to locally are full of dudes like that, and pretty much have to stick with BJJ because it's all a bunch of pasty nerds.

My favorite memory was when this marine was sparring way too hard on everybody in the class and the instructor got in the ring with him and hurt the dude real bad on a checked leg kick, then when he was reeling kicked him again until he fell down. Dude was barely able to get back up and left the class with a huge limp :stare:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, guys with too much ego and too much willingness to prove it are the worst. This is one of the reasons I like judo so much, because it's not an metrosexual sport and doesn't carry the "tough guy" stigma MMA or BJJ has.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What is the 'shoulder of justice'? A cross-face from side control?

edit: I just realized I must be one of the "regulators" at my gym and it made me swell with pride. :3

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 25, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yeah, guys with too much ego and too much willingness to prove it are the worst. This is one of the reasons I like judo so much, because it's not an metrosexual sport and doesn't carry the "tough guy" stigma MMA or BJJ has.

Plus in Judo guys going super hard with incorrect technique are the easiest people to toss around.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What is the 'shoulder of justice'? A cross-face from side control?

edit: I just realized I must be one of the "regulators" at my gym and it made me swell with pride. :3

:)

yeah pretty much. Basically, shoulder pressure into the neck from side control. Use your hand of the crossfacing arm to reach and grab his armpit, so your hold there is really tight. choke him between your shoulder and forearm, and then put your weight down. Balance your weight right into his arteries.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Those BJJ rules changes are funny, soon you guys won't even be able to make fun of the stupid rule changes we had in the past few years in judo!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Yeah extreme instances so to all the goons reading the thread and thinking about trying martial arts, no worries. Most newbies are spazzy but will listen to instruction and chill out after a while. That's totally cool.

Upper students will have your back when faced with jerks. Unless you're Kit Dale.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yeah, guys with too much ego and too much willingness to prove it are the worst.
BJJ doesn't really have a douchey rep here, but I feel bad for the douchey rep MMA has since pretty much all of the people I've trained with from MMA/BJJ places have been super cool. Thinking about it, I encountered more douchey people when I was doing traditional jiujitsu/ninpo.

I totally agree that it's the people with egos who won't last long since they either piss off the instructor and stop training or move on to a place that is okay with general dickishness.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Bangkero posted:

BJJ doesn't really have a douchey rep here, but I feel bad for the douchey rep MMA has since pretty much all of the people I've trained with from MMA/BJJ places have been super cool. Thinking about it, I encountered more douchey people when I was doing traditional jiujitsu/ninpo.

BJJ probably is a really laid back sport in many places, especially if that "latino spirit" can be found in the gym. I think that's awesome. Our local BJJ/MMA gym seems a bit dickish though, the macho stigma is pretty big.

Your super right about traditional arts having douche people though. No matter what combat sport you do, the aim of the training is the competition in the sport itself, and that makes the whole stuff so much cleaner and clearer. However, if your supposed to practise for self-defence or - God forbid - "combat", the baggage your carrying is huge: people have their own images and ideas what violence is and what is realistic and what is not without having experience or information about real world violence. All the traditional arts and the Defendo gym I practised were all about circle jerking and speculating and fantasizing about "the street" and that gets old really fast. People get douchey because some of them start to think they're real hot poo poo because their stuff is so "real". In combat sports, you can easily see how good you actually are immediatedly when you start sparring and there's no way to lie to yourself about it. Also the sparring is the ultimate measure of your skill in combat sports, so there's no wiggle room: you can't tell youself that it doesn't matter you tapped to a leg lock because people won't be doing leg locks in the "real grappling tournaments."

If you want to practice for self-defence, that's fine, but it honestly needs a lot of researching and reading on top of the physical training: books by Rory Miller or Gavin de Becker or even John Douglas are essential. The point is that if you don't know something or your coach/sensei doesn't know, somebody out there knows. Ignorance is no excuse.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

generatrix posted:

Been a while since I posted here...

In October of 2012 I hurt my knee in BJJ class. It seemed like something minor, and I figured I'd just teach the classes I did normally and skip rolling for a bit. By November it was still hurting, and I went to my doctor to find out what was wrong. One MRI later and I'm diagnosed with severe tendonosis (tendon damage on the cellular level). Can't do any twisting motions with my leg until it's better, so no jiujitsu. I was allowed to run or bike, or any other straight motion, but nothing that could further the damage.

I was fairly devastated, and it was around then that I stopped reading this thread (roughly 3100 posts ago). As much as I love hearing stories from all of you, and helping out with grappling stuff when I can, it was too much. I also avoided my jiujitsu school and was generally miserable and depressed. My knee didn't hurt anymore, but my doctor had explained that even if I did everything right, it's a condition that can take years to heal. All I could do was rest from twisting motions, and in general losing weight would help take pressure off my tendons.

So, that's what I did. I started using MyFitnessPal to track my food, and hopped on my stationary bike. I eventually got bored with the bike once all the shows I watch went on hiatus, so I signed up with my work's team for the Colour Run. I'd never run before, but in six weeks I got myself to running a 5km race. I also discovered that I really, really hate running, heh. The week after the event, though, I hit my goal weight and shifted to eating the right amount to maintain. I lost 100 lbs since going on break from jiujitsu, and ended up at 185 (the lowest I've been since I was 13).

In November 2013 I went to my Doctor again, and after an exam he said it seemed that I'd healed enough. If any pain returned I may have to give up jiujitsu for good, but I went straight back to class that night. Since then I've been training my butt off (what little of it remains) trying to get back in the swing of things. Three other people at the school got promoted to purple belt while I was gone, and they've been getting very good (while I haven't been there to develop a parallel defence). I've felt like I'm struggling to defend things pretty much all the time, but the upside is that my knee has been fine and it looks like I'm on the path to a long and healthy martial arts life.

Then tonight something happened, and I remembered this thread. I saw someone post something similar once, so I believe this is the appropriate way to announce:

Goongrats

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

ManOfTheYear posted:

Your super right about traditional arts having douche people though. No matter what combat sport you do, the aim of the training is the competition in the sport itself, and that makes the whole stuff so much cleaner and clearer. However, if your supposed to practise for self-defence or - God forbid - "combat", the baggage your carrying is huge: people have their own images and ideas what violence is and what is realistic and what is not without having experience or information about real world violence. All the traditional arts and the Defendo gym I practised were all about circle jerking and speculating and fantasizing about "the street" and that gets old really fast. People get douchey because some of them start to think they're real hot poo poo because their stuff is so "real". In combat sports, you can easily see how good you actually are immediatedly when you start sparring and there's no way to lie to yourself about it. Also the sparring is the ultimate measure of your skill in combat sports, so there's no wiggle room: you can't tell youself that it doesn't matter you tapped to a leg lock because people won't be doing leg locks in the "real grappling tournaments."

Having done both traditional martial arts and muay thai/BJJ, I'd have to say that the percentage of douchebags in traditional arts is way higher. The MMA/BJJ people I've known may seem more hardcore from a outsider's perspective, but when you actually step into the gym, the attitudes you encounter are completely reversed from what you expect. When someone gets the poo poo choked out of them in BJJ, the first thing that usually gets said is either "That was sweet, how'd you set that up?" or "Dude, you can't let me get that grip. Here's how to stop that." When people know where they stand, there's no point in putting up a front so you seem like a badass.

When I was into TKD, it seemed like people believed that your belt somehow imbued you with powers rather than it being an indicator of relative skill. You just had a bunch of people running around peacocking their belt color without any way to determine how good you actually were. There wasn't any point in helping anyone with anything because there's almost no way to fail at doing something where no one is providing resistance. I had a black belt say to me "What's the point of anyone grabbing someone in a fight? There's nothing they can do and I'd just kick them." He would never get a reality check so as far as he knew, he could just punch/dragon kick/throw a fireball at someone attacking him and it would magically work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've encountered a few weirdos over the years. (in kendo)

One guy was a recently retired police sergeant, who several times asked if I was interested in a duel to the death. (He asked several people). While he was mostly a dick, I do a have a nice collection of interesting stories about him.

Current dojo, we got this crazy old Korean guy. He may have done kendo in his youth, but has restarted in his 50's.
He's been tossed from several dojos due to his rude behaviour, but our (too nice) dojo leader decided to give him a chance.
He ignores basic etiquette ,completely ignores me (despite being one of the senior instructors), most likely because I'm white and he keeps hitting too hard from too close a distance and whines when A) I correct him B) when I do the same to him to show what he's doing...although when the dojo leader is around, he's always on his best behaviour.
He gets especially upset when I sidestep his attacks, because he throws so much weight behind them that he almost loses balance every time and it hurts his hosed up knees.
I've argued that he should be tossed, but they keep 'talking' to him. I've been on a hiatus for the last 6 months, but if he's still there when I come back and his behaviour is the same, I will find another dojo. It's simply not worth the aggravation. (More so now that I've retired from competitions...that means I'll more often than not teach the group he's in).

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Excactly this. You said it better than I did.

The only pseudo-traditionalist guy I know and I really like to listen is this traditional jujutsu black belt who'se been a cop for 15 years. He does sambo and combat sambo with us and even though he isn't the world's best striker or a grappler, he is a very complete martial artist who can do a lot of stuff from groundfighting to weapon disarms. He has a real word reference point from all the uses of force he has had during the years and he can put the dojo stuff in the context of what is useful in his work and what isn't. In the summer I was working in a children's home with a lot of violent teenagers and I was a bit worried of getting hurt/hurting them if things would end in fisticuffs. I asked the copdude for advice and he gave me plenty, while teaching me techniques he used for moving and handcuffing resisting people. All of it was traditional jujutsu-esque but very simple and very, very useful. His instruction was also very good and he could give pointers other could not - "If the guy is like this he will most likely try to turn right, do x to keep him in control without hurting him" - because he actually knew what he was talking about. He's very open minded, honest and goes anywhere for martial arts practice, from a BJJ class to a kenjutsu class. So he's a pretty cool guy.

I think it's best to stick with combat sports unless you meet guys like this, because with a sport you know excatly what you're practicing for, and that's winning a tournament. There's no pretentious bullshit or magic tricks, just hard work and good times. With traditional arts, you almost always end up with faulty information and bad teaching, and you may start to think that you are something that you are not.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The weirdos make it interesting.

We had a Korean guy who spoke no english and his entire submission game was:

A: Pull guard
B: Attempt to ezekiel choke at 120% exertion until almost vomiting from exhaustion.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
I just moved back home, to the Maryland/DC suburbs. My friend introduced me to BJJ which I adored the poo poo out of, but I don't know of any dojos around here that have a good reputation. I'm willing to try other martial arts as well (For the record, out of shape skinny-fat 5 foot nothing girl). Soo if anyone had any suggestions for dojos around here, I'd appreciate the hell out of it!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Prathm posted:

What about those Feiyue kung fu-shoes. Are they good for anything?

Welp, was going through unread posts from months back and saw something I could actually comment on.

Feiyue shoes were apparently originally designed for table tennis, but wushu practitioners in China found them pretty good for that and they've become pretty standard now. A lot of people at the wushu school I go to use them -- for drills and forms. They're pretty springy, so good for landing from flying kicks, stomping the ground, etc (the floor-gymnastics-with-kicking side of wushu). As soon as we do actual fighting training (pad work or sanshou), the shoes come off.

So yeah, I wouldn't use them for something like Muay Thai. They're dirt cheap, though, and make pretty good gym shoes.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

The Big Whoop posted:

I just moved back home, to the Maryland/DC suburbs. My friend introduced me to BJJ which I adored the poo poo out of, but I don't know of any dojos around here that have a good reputation. I'm willing to try other martial arts as well (For the record, out of shape skinny-fat 5 foot nothing girl). Soo if anyone had any suggestions for dojos around here, I'd appreciate the hell out of it!

You may want to read up on Lloyd Irvin because he's a big name in that area but you most likely don't want to train there. It will probably come up in your search for local BJJ gyms.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Don't wear shoes for Muay Thai, period.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

origami posted:

You may want to read up on Lloyd Irvin

If you do please don't read enough to learn that he's great without reading enough to learn that he's a rapist

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well this week I signed up for my federation's annual tournament in Ireland. I'm going to have to really start working on my conditioning. Should be a really fun trip even if I'm going to die, lol.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There's a 50/50 school in DC, is that where Ryan Hall trains out of? I'm such a nutrider for that guy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The Big Whoop posted:

There are lots of school around here. In addition to the other names mentioned before, there are numerous Pedro Sauer and Yamasaki affiliates. I've trained with instructors from both of those schools and they are solid nice dudes.

The 50/50 school is in Virginia Square in Arlington. It's literally right on the Orange Line.

I practice Judo at Georgetown and sometimes out at Pure Performance in Rockville (Pedro Sauer affiliate)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Just make sure you avoid the rapey Lloyd Irvin schools.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've encountered a few weirdos over the years. (in kendo)

One guy was a recently retired police sergeant, who several times asked if I was interested in a duel to the death. (He asked several people). While he was mostly a dick, I do a have a nice collection of interesting stories about him.

Please share. I've never met any real crazies at Kendo. A lot of assholes, but in that "big man swagger" way, not in a LETS FIGHT TO THE DEATH way. :stare:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Big Whoop posted:

If you're close to Vienna, Dave Jacobs is a cool dude who runs a school there.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
If I had a car the Virginia schools would be an option, unfortunately I'm stuck on public transportation. Pure Performance looks like the way to go, but I'm a little wary of franchise type schools and also ones that claim to "teach you faster than anyone else!" although I like the idea of street/self defense.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Please share. I've never met any real crazies at Kendo. A lot of assholes, but in that "big man swagger" way, not in a LETS FIGHT TO THE DEATH way. :stare:

Actually, he asked quite politely. (Usually when drunk during pub sessions after the Saturday practice). He claimed to be fascinated by the prospect of a life & death situation, but had yet to find anyone to take him up on it. (Although I'm sure that if he had asked some of his ex-'clients', he would have found some takers).

He had all his gear dyed black, including the tsukagawa on his shinai!.
My first real experience was as a beginner, during basic uchikomi-geiko. He kept telling me to hit harder, which was kinda opposite of what we'd been taught, but hey, he was 4th dan and intimidating, who was I to argue. I would cut men, he would go "Harder!", which he kept repeating. Anyway, finished with him, lined up in another line and got to the next motodachi.The dojo was full and it was very noisy. He signals for me to hit men and I step in and whack him hard. He shouts something about "hard' as I go through, so I think that like the weird dude, he wants me to hit harder, so I put even more effort into. He's shouting at me again and I'm kinda confused now...harder still? Ok. I step in and I give it the full lumberjack swing...
I don't make it past him, as he grabs me by the neck and screams into my face "STOP HITTING SO loving HARD!!!!!!!"
(Which was what he was trying to tell me the whole time).

Some time later and it's my first time in armor and I'm about to have my first ji-geiko ever...and I'm facing the dude in black. He basically proceeds to beat the crap out of me, deliberately hitting all the unprotected spots.
I got so many bruises afterwards, that I look like I've been in multiple car accidents. I hated him for years after that and swore I return the favour one day.
Shortly after he repeats it with a beginner girl and our main teacher, who is super protective of the girls, spots it and later on that session beats the poo poo out of him, decking him him several times with 'proper'(ish) kendo, with everyone watching. He never returned (to that dojo) after that.

Some years later, he starts turning up to our Saturday free practice session(different dojo).He's mellowed out some and no longer beats the living daylights out of the beginners, but is in general still an rear end in a top hat.
I'm stronger, more confident and I still want revenge. I still don't quite have the skills to do so, but I certainly wont back down, so our practices are a mess. Pushy, shovy, elbows getting thrown, kinda crap. He does that with almost everyone and seemingly enjoys it...except my sempai, who just quietly does 'proper' kendo.
I ask him one day, how come he never gets into the shovy matches like the rest of us and he says "Why should I? He's much better at it than me and doing so just plays right into his hand" (Followed by some other stuff about using proper kendo, ya-di-da).
So I try it. Next time I face him, I take a deep breath and simply ignore all the crap and focus as much as possible on doing proper kendo. When it finishes, he goes "You've become much better!" (which was the first time I've heard him say anything nice to any one!). After that, he had a grudging respect and our practices were much better (although occasionally still turning into a brawl).

So, while he was a real dick, I still learned an awful lot from it. Whether it's a lesson I couldn't have learned in a 'nicer' way, I'm not sure, but still.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
That story played out like a martial arts budget film. Or a hilarious SNL skit. Bravo, you are now equals in the dojo!

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I managed my first ever submission (cross choke) while rolling today after getting trounced for my first couple of weeks. But drat it sure felt good to finally get one of my own after being the training dummy.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
RE: "Regulators" I hate this, even in such a female heavy, cardio kickboxing/cardio boxing centered club as ours we get the occasional 18-25 year old guys who are unable to spar like normal people, and even less, do something like Savate "assaut" which is basically sparring with touch rules. I have "kicked" maybe two students out of the gym, but only after there was no choice. Repeatedly telling someone over more than one class that you should NOT go 90% or 105% on a 50kg girl doesn't fix their attitude, then you have to rely on the "spar with the instructor" or "biggest guy" thing. Hate it, but I havent' found any other way to resolve it. Luckily last time was I think 2010 or something.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Is that better or worse than a guy who's afraid to touch a girl in training?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Novum posted:

Is that better or worse than a guy who's afraid to touch a girl in training?

Is what?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Sparring too hard. I'm a terminal dink who treats smaller girl training partners like glass because of the size disparity. I saw earlier that a girl switched gyms because no one was training tough with her and here there's a couple jerks getting the boot from doing the opposite.

A little while back I was struggling to find a middle ground I thought was fair when I kept getting paired with a girl training partner because we started going to the same class around the same time, but I'd be interested if someone's got more to say about it.

e: Sorry, it's a departure from 'Regulator' chat.

Novum fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I guess it's kinda connected though.

A few years ago, IIRC, we used to have a lot of chat in this thread about people who would spaz out on grappling practices and crank their locks at 105% in their panic state, as well as people who are unable to relax while sparring and instead trigger and twitch all their strikes so much you don't know what's coming and then suddenly jump on your face at full force no matter if it's an experienced 220lb guy with 10 pro fights, or a newbie 120lb girl.

• Locked thread