Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

Hell, there's a book of regs about what he can and can't do as far as stunts are concerned period. The way it was explained to me has to do with insurance and what it would cost if an actor were injured on set vs a stunt actor who has risk of injury and such in their contract. I imagine it'd be the same in the eyes of the law if Amell was both lead actor as well as a trained stunt actor. Since he's billed as lead, insurance treats him as lead, and thus won't cover/will ratchet up the premium if he starts doing the job of a stunt actor.

Arrow, season 3: Just as action packed as ever, guys!!! We swear! ACTION EVERYWHERE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I caught up with this after binge watching the first and second season eps up to now over the past week. Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of mainstream DC, when it comes to comics I'm solely in the Marvel/Vertigo/Image realm. That said I really enjoyed the first season. The plot moved nice and fast, the villians were really nicely incorporated into the show, the side characters weren't awful and the acting overall was good. None of the actors themselves felt like nobodies like the ones on Agents of Shield do. The Huntress arc was probably the weakest part but only because they actually went the Huntress route with her but it still worked because of what it did for Oliver's character.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of the new Season. I feel like there has been a bit too much comic book spillover with supervillians, Black Canary, Malcolm coming back, Bronze Tiger randomly thrown into the first episode, this whole supersoldier formula and Slade being the evil mastermind. The Flash stuff was pretty awful and drug the show down as well.

Not being a fan of the comic book, I guess I'm not really feeling the tie-in stuff as much as a lot of you probably are. I just watched the show because it was a fun action show and had/still have no desire to get into the comic book. Obviously the comic book fans are the core audience so this season has been catering to them quite a bit more. I'll let the season play out to see how they wrap up the current arcs but I'm probably done after that. The reason I watched through season one was that they kept most of the comic book stuff as winks and nods rather than overt "here's this character" type things. The Count was a great example. His first appearance he's just called the Count a drug dealer who makes and distributes a drug called vertigo. Ok, that's fine. Second appearance is a fake out, and he's still crazy. Third appearance he's full blown running around calling himself Count Veritgo. To me this show is at its best doing stuff like the Shrapnel episode where they can work a reference in without making it into a "Look at me, I'm a supervillian!!!" type thing. Brother Blood with the mask is just...ugh. Slade being back...in a mask. Ugh. Hell, they even gave the main character a mask because...

Anyway, I'm happy that all you DC guys have a show that makes your dreams come true. I'll go back to the Agents of Shield thread and wait for my one reference per episode to something from the Marvel U.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Always interesting to hear a different opinion, and I do think that this season has thrown an ungodly amount of plates in the year. I'm enjoying the rapidfire pacing too much to care, but I can see why some people may not enjoy it.

And I do agree that Brother Blood's mask is stupendously awful - such a blatant Scarecrow copy its kinda sad. Alejandro has done a good job with the material, but I still can't quite get over the initial theft.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

The reason I watched through season one was that they kept most of the comic book stuff as winks and nods rather than overt "here's this character" type things.

Not really. You probably just didn't recognize the ones they were making.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I do not see how you could be mad at them sticking Slade in a mask when they showed the mask in the very first episode. Also the names they used were hey think Ollie's best friend is going to turn into a villain? Nope its his dad.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aphrodite posted:

Not really. You probably just didn't recognize the ones they were making.

Winks and nods is an understatement but is definitely wasn't as overt as it has been this season. When Deadshot first showed up he was just a dude who was a good assassin called Deadshot. Now he's got the eye thing and feels like a wacky comic book character. I know it's probably a strange thing to complain about given the premise of the show but I liked that it was fairly toned down before.

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not see how you could be mad at them sticking Slade in a mask when they showed the mask in the very first episode. Also the names they used were hey think Ollie's best friend is going to turn into a villain? Nope its his dad.

The mask felt like an element that they used to build up the character's past to link him to the other guy in a mask. I didn't really think he was going to show up as Maniacal Bad Guy of the season, sporting the mask as he kills people in an office building in front of someone who he hasn't been wearing the mask in front of for the past couple episodes. Again it felt like a thing where if you knew who Deathstroke was you could go "hey I recognize that!" but for everyone else it was just an element of that character.

Merlyn as the other example, comic book fans obviously knew one of the characters was going to be a bad guy, but as a non-comic book fan that reveal was a bit out there but well explained in that he ran off to become a vigilante and had been doing that before Oliver started. So while yeah having an "evil archer" was pretty comic book-y, it felt more natural that someone would be running around trying to give Oliver a bad reputation and that it turned out to be a guy who essentially had a similar arc to Oliver's; it felt more natural given the world they'd built.

It's kind of hard to say that these are "winks and nods" because I'm an outsider who doesn't really know the characters, so I totally had no clue about the Merlyn thing but knew the Deathstroke one. For you guys some of this stuff is probably pretty obvious and immediately clues you into a character that you're now waiting for them to show up in costume and be like they are in the comic. For me, that's the opposite of the appeal of the show.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 26, 2014

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yeah, I agree. I still love the show, but I liked in season 1 its comic book origins didn't bash you over the head as much as they do in 2. I loved the flash character, but I'm very much not a fan of how supernatural stuff is being brought it. I liked before where stuff might have been a little over-the-top, but it was all still definitely not supernatural. Mirakuru is slightly less annoying in that aspect, but it's still a little over the top. I would have preferred if Roy and Ollie teamed up under more normal circumstances.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
The first season focused on an earthquake machine, that's like the most comic book thing ever.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chef Bromden posted:

The first season focused on an earthquake machine, that's like the most comic book thing ever.

Well, not really. It focused on the undertaking, but until the very end of the season this could have been anything. And even so, the characters were still very much unrealistic humans and not comic heroes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

In season one, you had two guys running around in costumes shooting arrows. In season two, you have four guys shooting arrows, swinging bow-staffs, and swinging swords.

Slade's an interesting case because the Other Deathstroke (Wintergreen) on the island sported a similar mask, and it was stated that both Slade and Wintergreen are from the same Australian special forces unit, so I suppose that was their 'uniform?' I need to rewatch the episodes in Season 1 with Slade and Wintergreen.

Black Canary (the Canary) is cribbing off the League of Assassins in her outfit, similar to how Oliver is wearing Shado's hood, plus some other green clothing. Malcolm is cribbing EVEN HARDER, seeing as the Dark Archer outfit is drat near identical to the LoA uniform (to the point I think that Oliver thought it was Malcolm).

I'm actually curious now how Sara came up with her outfit, since it's obviously not full Assassin gear. We have reasons for why Oliver, Slade, and Malcolm dress the way they do, but not her.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Winks and nods is an understatement but is definitely wasn't as overt as it has been this season. When Deadshot first showed up he was just a dude who was a good assassin called Deadshot. Now he's got the eye thing and feels like a wacky comic book character. I know it's probably a strange thing to complain about given the premise of the show but I liked that it was fairly toned down before.

Deadshot's first appearance also showed him with a machine gun attached to his arm that literally had no recoil.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I, for one, am just so sincerely, absolutely grateful that they are easing in the over-the-top comic book-esque stuff. The alternative is Nolan's Dark Knight movies, which were good, but I think had they gone on any longer they would have started to feel seriously hampered by how straight-faced they were playing it. It's Batman, there's only so far you can go with grim, gritty, and realistic, and you can't go to any of the fun, awesome places that exist in the Batman mythos.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Finally, the one person on the face of the earth who actually thought "No flights no tights" was a genius idea.

Anyways, if you want a show that substitutes schlocky winks and nods in place of actually adapting the property it's based on, there's 10 seasons of Smallville to catch up on. That show, like you, is totally mortified by DC comics. You'll love it.

If you find the GA comics to be distasteful, this is probably a bad show for you to watch because it's steadily becoming a better and better take on everything that made that has made that character successful over the years.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Agents of SHIELD seems to be going the route of Smallville so far. The problem is why even associate it with a known brand if it's just gonna be generic as gently caress? Anyone remember Mutant X?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I don't know anything about any of the DC characters really. I have read a ton of comics though so all the "twists" are fine with me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Crunk Abortion posted:

Finally, the one person on the face of the earth who actually thought "No flights no tights" was a genius idea.

What is that?

I never liked Smallville because Superman was a completely boring character for me and I had even less interest in his love life, teen drama and angst. I'm amazed at how little there is of that in Arrow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think this season of Arrow has been balls tighteningly fantastic, but I think its also fair to say "I liked the show when it was closer to reality."

It reminds me a bit of when I stopped watching Lost in season 2 because the show shifted from a drama about these characters to a drama about the Island's Spooooky Mysteries. And although that may have creatively been the best choice for the show to make, it wasn't a journey I was interested in following.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I haven't read a comic in 15 years or so, and when I did I ignored the DC world. I always felt like most of the characters (batman aside) were boring.

I mean really who cares about aquaman when you've got the X-men, avengers etc etc. The JLA is kinda cool, but they don't really compare.

That said, I love shows about developing powers.

I was very hesitant to give this show a chance after spending 10 years watching terrible smallville, but

This show is just great. I love the fast pace. I love the characters, even if I feel like they're all ripoffs of other more well known characters in the world. The only negative is Laurel but even she is 1000 times better than Lana was.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

I mean really who cares about aquaman

http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/02/25/injustice-gods-among-us-aquaman-combat-trailer

:colbert:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Aquaman was so lame that "Mercy Creek" didn't even get picked up and Justin Hartley went on to become Green Arrow on Smallville instead. :colbert:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eddain posted:

Aquaman was so lame that "Mercy Creek" didn't even get picked up and Justin Hartley went on to become Green Arrow on Smallville instead. :colbert:

Well that worked out for the best. Justin Hartley's Green Arrow was arguably the best thing about Smallville. (Though obviously not even close to Amell's Arrow.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Eddain posted:

I actually like the Aquaman TV pilot. The little foreshadowing they had time to do seemed to imply that they had an idea of how to actually make the character pretty interesting.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Eddain posted:

Reef. Creeks aren't on the ocean. I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder. :spergin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was watching an interview with Amell from 2013 comiccon and he was talking about international markets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPth0R-twQ&t=214s

Is that stuff true? Pretty impressive if so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't watch the video at work, but I do know the show is really big in Canada.

When it debuted they put it on the sub-channel of one of the primary networks here, where they put most genre and teen shows. After a few weeks it got promoted to the main channel at 7pm because it was doing so well. A few more weeks and it got the 8pm spot, taking it away from American Idol.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spoilers for a future episode and retuning character

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Injustice did tons for my perception of Aquaman. So did JLU/JL when they ran episodes with him (Even though he was a colossal dick. It's good to be king, I guess). Most people still see him as the guy who can talk to whales though. :smith:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Batman: Brave and the Bold also helped.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I can't watch the video at work, but I do know the show is really big in Canada.

When it debuted they put it on the sub-channel of one of the primary networks here, where they put most genre and teen shows. After a few weeks it got promoted to the main channel at 7pm because it was doing so well. A few more weeks and it got the 8pm spot, taking it away from American Idol.

He said it was the number one imported show in Spain and Italy, on track to become the biggest import of all time in China and the most successful import Sky One has ever done.

Anything to distract the thread from pages and pages of bitching about Laurel and unsettling dissections of Katie Cassiday's face.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Half empty: Huntress...
Half full: Canary!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

gently caress everything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Please please please let Gail Simone have a hand in this

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

jscolon2.0 posted:

Half empty: Huntress...
Half full: Canary!

Apparently this was leaked on 4chan before the announcement - also leaked was Nightwing shows up (with no reference to the bat-family)

I know, I know - 4chan. But still I'll take the hope here.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I know it was posted earlier, but I am having trouble finding it: besides "Longbow Hunters" what are some other good Green Arrow comic runs?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Klungar posted:

I know it was posted earlier, but I am having trouble finding it: besides "Longbow Hunters" what are some other good Green Arrow comic runs?

The current one by Lemire.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MrFlibble posted:

Apparently this was leaked on 4chan before the announcement - also leaked was Nightwing shows up (with no reference to the bat-family)

I know, I know - 4chan. But still I'll take the hope here.

I'll have a stroke if that turns to be true :suspense:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

zoux posted:

He said it was the number one imported show in Spain and Italy, on track to become the biggest import of all time in China and the most successful import Sky One has ever done.

Anything to distract the thread from pages and pages of bitching about Laurel and unsettling dissections of Katie Cassiday's face.

I really doubt its the biggest US import for Sky ever, they get pretty much all the US shows from every US network.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, so the scene where Laurel met Ollie in the Hood getup? There's a train that the camera follows up to Laurel's face.

That train is labeled "ARROW LINE."

That was digitally altered. Usually says skytrain and that was the expo line.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone know if there's a website detailing all the Arrow shooting locations? I attended UBC a few years back but haven't really seen a ton of super-obvious Vancouver sights (Like BSG which made no effort to hide anything).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Please please please let t.a.t.u have a hand in this

Fixed a typo.

• Locked thread