Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice.

I changed the oil on the hyoshit. First bike I've owned where buying two 1L bottles was cheaper than buying a 4/5L. 1.5L with a filter change (K&N yo!) and it gets right to the full mark. Seems dangerous for an oil cooled bike, but I spoke to a guy involved in the local hyosung 250 race cup. He said that in four years of running the series they have never had an engine failure. Makes me feel better about it being a bike that won't let girly down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I finally got the FZR started. It only needed a few cranks and settled into a nice idle. Amazingly my eyeball set throttle plates were drat near perfect according to my sync gauges. I just had to tweak #1 a touch.
It sounds pretty awesome with the Yosh can :)
Now all that's left is tires and chain and then hopefully a bunch of track days. I still haven't decided if I'm going to make it road legal or not so it may or may not get its mirrors and indicators back.
I was getting slightly discouraged by my $300 pile of spiders and parts but hearing it run so well after keeping at it has me super happy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I took apart the carbs on the hyosung. It was all fairly painless and they were very clean. The slides were for some reason anodized black aluminium and were pretty dirty; I found that if I lifted one with the carbs assembled, instead of smoothly dropping down again it would slide for a bit, then get hung up and slide much more slowly, then slide quickly again. So I wiped them down as best I could and it seems to have freed them up.

gently caress the PO. Air filter was brand new, plugs brand new, but some numb-nuts had pulled the intake trumpets out of the airbox, then for some retarded reason used silicon to seal them back in there. The result is that there's no way of fitting the airbox so that both boots fit snugly on both carbs, it's one or the other. For now I managed to jimmy them on there so they both seal and tightened the clamps.

The bike still has the throttle delay at high revs, I guess it's balancing next and if that doesn't fix it then ????

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Is it possible your float height is set too low? It might starve for fuel for a second before the level catches up maybe?
On that train of thought I wonder if you could have a slightly plugged vent on your fuel tank that allows enough air by until the demand is high enough that it becomes a problem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It doesn't feel like it, because it only happens after an extended period of being off the throttle. It never starves when I'm going flat-out, but rather when I lift off at high revs (like to slow down for a corner) then jump back on the gas, there's a half-second delay before the engine does anything.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Apparently the old sprocket got bent in my move here.

new steel sprocket instead of aluminums, and a rivet type master link.

Woot for dirtbike parts.

Ugh. LOVE the new gearing at 2.89. the old sprocket was a 3.08 final.

bonus shot of partner taking it out for a spin.
drat him for having a matching suit.

I'm gonna take aircraft stripper to the wheels next. I spraybombed the front, and hated it. the white finish is trashed on these from being so old.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

It doesn't feel like it, because it only happens after an extended period of being off the throttle. It never starves when I'm going flat-out, but rather when I lift off at high revs (like to slow down for a corner) then jump back on the gas, there's a half-second delay before the engine does anything.

Did you clean the jets with a wire to make sure they were clear all the way through?

When you say you jump back on the gas, how much are we talking? A light twist (1/4 throttle ish?) a moderate twist (1/4-3/4) or wide open (3/4-full)?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Decided to put the passenger grips back on because the Ninja 650 has almost nowhere to tie down a bag without them. In the process I managed to lose one of the screws that held the blind plates on into the darkness of the subframe plastics. :mad: Couldn't find it and eventually I gave up. I bet I'll find it once it manages to wiggle out of there and end up embedded in my rear tire.

Or I'll just have to pull the plastics off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Did you clean the jets with a wire to make sure they were clear all the way through?

When you say you jump back on the gas, how much are we talking? A light twist (1/4 throttle ish?) a moderate twist (1/4-3/4) or wide open (3/4-full)?

Yes I used stripped automotive electrical wire. It makes no difference how much you twist the throttle, the delay time is always the same.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Did the fork seals + Maxima fork oil + 120mm oil height on the 750 today. $145 out the door bringing in just the fork legs seems legit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I came to the realization that I will not be able to fit this:

here:

without doing some crazy sheetmetal bend and hanging six pounds of light off of two teeny tiny screws thus:

It would be doable (quite easily infact) if I went with an XB12S front fender and lost the Adventure Beak, but I do love that beak. The cost of that light plus an XB12S fender is roughly equal to the cost of the more expensive, less light emitting pair of LED cubes. It's a tossup, but I might have to go with the option that involves replacing fewer parts.

e. Whoops. Tables.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why not use the windshield mounts and run down to a supporting bracket?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

Why not use the windshield mounts and run down to a supporting bracket?

The screws that hold the windshield in place mate with a couple of nuts on the opposite side of the ABS plastic flyscreen, so I'd feel worse about using that to support a heavy light. I considered putting four holes in the flyscreen and having a sheet metal backing plate cut, but my instincts tell me that wouldn't be sturdy enough. Do people do similar things that way? The screws that hold the flyscreen in place are at least screwed into the cast metal instrument cluster holder.

I'm pretty sure the windshield screws are a previous owner addition, too. The workshop manual just has the windshield sitting on four rubber mounts that pressure fit into the flyscreen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd probably cut a slit in the fairing somewhere and run a bracket through it to one of the fairing mounts. Without any idea where they are It's hard to offer much advice though :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'll probably pull the fairing off and stare at it for a minute this weekend, see if I can't figure something out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'll probably pull the fairing off and stare at it for a minute this weekend, see if I can't figure something out.

Yup, that's what I always do, seems to work out nicely.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I think I finally resolved my slipping clutch problem on the FZR. I bought some new clutch springs (though the stock ones were still in spec for overall length) and adjusted the clutch again at the rod and the handle. I finally have a good amount of free play and it hooks up nicely.

Love this drat bike...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finally got enough time on the CNC to make the little pushrod seal retaining plate that I need (or want for peace of mind, anyway) to get the bike all better. Might install it tomorrow depending on how many problems the robot is having. Can't wait!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Dropped $730 on the 6250 mile service. :homebrew:

Bike's never run better, though. Soooo smooth.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Filed a police report because some dickhead stole my license plate. On the bike I commute on! Didn't even have the courtesy to take the plate from my hobby bike.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
lmao I had that happen once. Got a new plate and the cops found my old one a week later. Some crackhead had slapped it on their Carola or whatever the gently caress.

EDIT: I guess a tiny motorcycle plate on a car sticks out a bit.

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

Got in new OEM grips and bar ends for my VFR750. The previous owner had put monstrously large grips on it that were half the reason the throttle was sticking. The other half was my terrible cable routing, sadly. Bar ends because mine look awful from age and abuse by previous owners.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I got out of work at 2PM, so I went to my garage and replaced the speedo cable on my Ninja 250. My hand was too big to screw the cable in properly. I could get to the point where I could screw it in but couldn't turn my hand at all - it was so frustrating. I had to take off the entire front fairings to properly reach it. I also unnecessarily took off the front windshield and got screw retailers loving everywhere.

I ended up getting it all working - it was 30F outside which is actually kind of warm compared to the past few weeks - so I fired the thing up for the first time in months and went for a ride. Holy poo poo did I miss riding! So much more fun than I even remembered.

It's crazy how at the end of the summer when it was in the low 50's-40's I wouldn't go because it was "too cold to ride" and it's still below freezing today and if I had some heated handgrips I would have ridden for a few hours easily. Holy poo poo I need to move somewhere warm!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moudis posted:

Got in new OEM grips and bar ends for my VFR750. The previous owner had put monstrously large grips on it that were half the reason the throttle was sticking. The other half was my terrible cable routing, sadly. Bar ends because mine look awful from age and abuse by previous owners.

If my Hyosung is idling on the side stand and you turn the bars all the way to the left, the idle goes to 6,000. Factory cable routing, no adjustment whatsoever.

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

Not enough adjustment at the locknuts by the throttle cam either? You might be able to swap for something longer, but it's probably a crapshoot to figure out what would bolt into your switch cluster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah, there's no adjustment anywhere on the cable. I've never seen the like, it's very korean. I think it's just meant to be like this, sad as that is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do Korean engines have radiator fans?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nah, there's no adjustment anywhere on the cable. I've never seen the like, it's very korean. I think it's just meant to be like this, sad as that is.

No adjustment at the carb either? Weird.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At the grip it elbows and disappears into the switchblock. At the carb there is a simple sleeve on the cable sheath and a channeled holding bracket. The tension of the cable holds the sheath forward enough in the bracket to avoid it coming out; to remove the cable you just forcibly retract the sheath back far enough that the cable can slip through the bracket channel. No adjustment anywere, thanks Seoul.

Sagebrush posted:

Do Korean engines have radiator fans?

Hilariously, mine does not.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bought a telescoping magnet and fished the lost screw out of the subframe, then sat on the bike for ten minutes making vroom vroom noises. gently caress snow. :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

At the grip it elbows and disappears into the switchblock. At the carb there is a simple sleeve on the cable sheath and a channeled holding bracket. The tension of the cable holds the sheath forward enough in the bracket to avoid it coming out; to remove the cable you just forcibly retract the sheath back far enough that the cable can slip through the bracket channel. No adjustment anywere, thanks Seoul.

Hilariously, mine does not.

So, it's a bicycle brake line, minus handlebar adjustment :laffo:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stuffed 6mm of shims under the rear shock mount on the GSXR750 since I have the forks flush. Still a boring bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Making it handle like poo poo won't make it any less boring :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Stuffed 6mm of shims under the rear shock mount on the GSXR750 since I have the forks flush. Still a boring bike.

I never used to understand how a bike, especially a good-handling, good-performing sportsbike, could ever be thought of as 'boring' and I thought that was just pretentious bullshit spouted by people who want to justify riding ducatis and the like. I figured riding bikes fast is extremely exciting, regardless of what brand it is, and that itself was enough.

Then I owned a 919 hornet for a while and I realised that a bike can do everything perfectly well, be extremely well made and designed, and still make you want to get something else.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I never used to understand how a bike, especially a good-handling, good-performing sportsbike, could ever be thought of as 'boring' and I thought that was just pretentious bullshit spouted by people who want to justify riding ducatis and the like. I figured riding bikes fast is extremely exciting, regardless of what brand it is, and that itself was enough.

Then I owned a 919 hornet for a while and I realised that a bike can do everything perfectly well, be extremely well made and designed, and still make you want to get something else.
I felt the same way... until I owned this thing. :suicide: I lust over an Aprilla RSV4 or crossplane R1 or Bimota DB7 or... a MV AGUSTA F3 800CC.

Z3n posted:

Making it handle like poo poo won't make it any less boring :v:

But but but the INTERNET says for the 06-07 chassis you want to run the forks flush and shim the rear 5-6mm as a starting point. :smith: I'll play with it. :suicide:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 5, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I mean, you can shim it up and all, but I'm convinced that the reason the INTERNET has issues turning the bikes is because they're straight-arming them like newbs.

Not to mention that things like tire profile and carcass construction make a big difference on geometry but...honestly, most of the time, if you tell someone you fixed their bike, they'll swear it handles better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The reason the internet thinks you need to modify a carefully designed sportsbike to 'make it handle' is because they all have hosed tyres, with the wrong pressures, hosed fork oil and suspension settings that are wildly wrong. I've gradually learned this and riding even an older bike that's set up right and doesn't have hosed fork oil, hosed forks, hosed bearings, hosed tyres etc etc is pretty amazing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That reminds me I need to tear the triumph down again and lube every bearing on it. :sigh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riding my mate's race bike was amazing. Technologically it's from the 80's, it has laughable power and lovely brakes, but with modern shocks and forks and every single bearing replaced it felt really tight and precise. Bikes are painfully maintenance-intensive :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Bikes are painfully maintenance-intensive :(

To be fair, so would be any car with a similar level of performance.