Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
The way you can tell if a guitar is good is you hold the body up to your face and look down the neck towards the tuners really close, you also have to kind of frown and nod your head. Then if you want to get a bargain you say "looks like it's been played a bit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
if the 40 year old salesman at guitar center, whose crowning achievement is making the first round of auditions for his city's premier led zep cover band, says it's got mojo for days, that's how i know that squier bullet i've been eyeing is a worthy instrument

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Fax Sr posted:

there's another guy that did another experiment that came up with a bolt-on neck having the best sustain compared to set-in and neck-thru. it was published in a magazine, but here's the summary: http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm

Looky here mister, why don't you go take your sci-fi mumbo jumbo tomfoolery and take it back up above the mason dixon. Yankees ain't welcome in these hear parts. Down here we believe in what the bible says

"Sayest the Lord, those guitars which are constructed of the most endangered wood and adorned with the most flaming of maple, must certainly soundeth the best. Why else would they cost so much?"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
2 vai 7:22- and lo upon the third day the LORD did engrave upon thy fretboard pearl'd markers of winged beasts of the air, and vines of the bush

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

comes along bort posted:

if the 40 year old salesman at guitar center, whose crowning achievement is making the first round of auditions for his city's premier led zep cover band, says it's got mojo for days, that's how i know that squier bullet i've been eyeing is a worthy instrument

a big fat guy who looked like some kind of genetic roadie conglomeration at guitar center tried to convince me to get some kind of mini ESP metal guitar instead of a mini strat, and he was super psyched over my interest in tiny dumb guitars

joke's on him, i'm just gonna get a purple halfscale strat from rondo, i don't need my tiny dumb guitars to be super high sperg quality, i need them to sound decent and look funny

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dewgy posted:

a big fat guy who looked like some kind of genetic roadie conglomeration at guitar center tried to convince me to get some kind of mini ESP metal guitar instead of a mini strat, and he was super psyched over my interest in tiny dumb guitars

joke's on him, i'm just gonna get a purple halfscale strat from rondo, i don't need my tiny dumb guitars to be super high sperg quality, i need them to sound decent and look funny

they're little guitars

they're called little guitars

Fax Sr posted:

there's a dude on youtube that made a strat body out of loving particle board and it sounded exactly the same as the regular strat body

sometimes fender puts out limited edition "empress" telecasters, it's loving paulownia, the same poo poo that they use for bargain guitar kits

see also: pine telecasters

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
paulownia is light and cool for a body but it can have balance issues where the neck wants to point downwards

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

see also: pine telecasters

Good enough for Billy C is good enough for me.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i don't know. maybe it's nice. my favorite guitar ever is the dano pro bow tie/bone thing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
aw man i can eeven tell that it has a scalloped fretboard, that's fuckin brutal

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dirt posted:

I am also gay for Buckethead, and hate my self for not buying one of those when they were available.

Also that white V is pretty cool if you ask me.

You can usually still get the Buckethead LP on eBay for the same price it was going for at retail. Or call up Guitar Center and have them search their stores nation-wide to see if any are in stock though at the time I bought mine which was well over a year ago they only had 3 left. Someone could have sold one back to them though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

Good enough for Billy C is good enough for me.

Pine is good wood, it's knotty and looks cool and is light but lol if anyone thinks that Leo built Teles out of pine and alder for reasons other than "cheap"

oh poo poo it's even got one slanted and one unslanted pickup that's super br00tal

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Gerty posted:

haha you guys have no idea what you're talking about

I don't :(.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
Is this a guitar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZXTUnbqWY
(It's been discontinued btw; rest easy)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Troglyfe posted:

Is this a guitar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZXTUnbqWY
(It's been discontinued btw; rest easy)

This is kind of cool... but why not just get a keyboard?

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is kind of cool... but why not just get a keyboard?

Well if you're really into the concept, it's been replaced by a model with ribbon controllers instead of buttons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJeT5wYoME

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fax Sr posted:

there's another guy that did another experiment that came up with a bolt-on neck having the best sustain compared to set-in and neck-thru. it was published in a magazine, but here's the summary: http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm

It's anecdotal, but this is true from my experience. You want the wood held together as tight as possible, best way to do that is hex bolts and insert nuts. Glue is terrible and also the cheapest way to make a guitar, the fact that people pay more for set-neck is hilarious to me.

Also pine is good loving wood for making guitars with. Bit soft perhaps but that's why we use varnish. I made a pretty sweet guitar out of this piss-cheap asian hardwood once (Acacia? Something like that, it's mainly used for floorboards anyway). I use cut-up old cabinets pretty often too.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 27, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

Anedotal, but this is true from my experience. You want the wood held together as tight as possible, best way to do that is hex bolts and insert nuts. Glue is terrible and also the cheapest way to make a guitar, the fact that people pay more for set-neck is hilarious to me.

So would neck through be the best scenario then? I have a neck through Carvin...doesn't seem to make any difference compared to my other guitars. I feel like sustain is basically a buzz word.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dirt posted:

I feel like sustain is basically a buzz word.

word i've never once used sustain as a proxy for quality

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

So would neck through be the best scenario then? I have a neck through Carvin...doesn't seem to make any difference compared to my other guitars. I feel like sustain is basically a buzz word.

Honestly, I've built 2 neck-thru guitars and I didn't notice any noticeable improvement, but then I built those when I was starting out, so who knows :shrug:. The biggest improvement to sustain I've ever noticed came from using insert nuts in the neck, on the bridge and screwing the pickups right to the body.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dirt posted:

Sustain is most definitely a buzzword

You don't really need that much of it for practical playing anyways

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
Umm I'm pretty sure you can't get that killer SRV tone without loads of sustain...

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
dont get me wrong tho id love a guitar that could sustain for miles. thatd be fun. we got that moog guitar thing now so

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A guitar with a 150ms attack and a 5ms release.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fax Sr posted:

dont get me wrong tho id love a guitar that could sustain for miles. thatd be fun. we got that moog guitar thing now so

oh for sure and sustainers are cool as gently caress but most of the guys that need super monster sustain from their guitars aren't doing cool poo poo like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4kJL_NDR0

basically this scene but unironically and also for 29 years after the fact

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Troglyfe posted:

Well if you're really into the concept, it's been replaced by a model with ribbon controllers instead of buttons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKJeT5wYoME

The instrument looks dumb as loving poo poo but it can really make some interesting sounds, I'd love to see a someone cover Daft Punk with a group using poo poo like this.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Declan MacManus posted:

Pine is good wood, it's knotty and looks cool and is light but lol if anyone thinks that Leo built Teles out of pine and alder for reasons other than "cheap"

oh poo poo it's even got one slanted and one unslanted pickup that's super br00tal

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
All this talk about tone wood and body shape and whatever... I'll agree that it probably makes dick-all difference for the sound coming out of the amp, but you can definitely hear and feel the difference pretty plainly between an acoustic guitar, a les paul, a chambered les paul, a hollow bodied ES-335 or whatever, and a strat when you're playing around on them unplugged.

Now as far as being able to hear the difference in a solid body les paul made from mahogany vs one made from bubinga with only the finest tonelaquer finish or some poo poo, yeah you probably won't be able to tell the difference ever. But the overall configuration of the wood actually does make a difference, at least to how the instrument feels in your hands when you play it.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
Here, have a guy who strapped dubstep to his guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2W0ELBius4

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

All this talk about tone wood and body shape and whatever... I'll agree that it probably makes dick-all difference for the sound coming out of the amp, but you can definitely hear and feel the difference pretty plainly between an acoustic guitar, a les paul, a chambered les paul, a hollow bodied ES-335 or whatever, and a strat when you're playing around on them unplugged.

Now as far as being able to hear the difference in a solid body les paul made from mahogany vs one made from bubinga with only the finest tonelaquer finish or some poo poo, yeah you probably won't be able to tell the difference ever. But the overall configuration of the wood actually does make a difference, at least to how the instrument feels in your hands when you play it.

the unplugged sound of an instrument doesn't make much of a difference when it's plugged in, the main factors are fingers-amp-electronics(pickups, pot/cap values)-hardware

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Troglyfe posted:

Here, have a guy who strapped dubstep to his guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2W0ELBius4

The neck of that guitar sure came in handy during that song. He might have dropped it he wasn't holding on to it with his left hand.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple
just found this abortion on ebay while browsing guitars

a hallmark swept wing

even the name is ugly

http://www.hallmarkguitars.com/guitars/swept-vintage.htm

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Valtaherra posted:

a hallmark swept wing

even the name is ugly

I saw that headstock and was actually hopeful for a moment that it'd be cool, but then I scrolled down. Holy gently caress.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Valtaherra posted:

a hallmark swept wing

even the name is ugly

It looks like it's from the loving Jetsons and that is awesome

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also pine is good loving wood for making guitars with. Bit soft perhaps but that's why we use varnish. I made a pretty sweet guitar out of this piss-cheap asian hardwood once (Acacia? Something like that, it's mainly used for floorboards anyway). I use cut-up old cabinets pretty often too.

Reclaimed old growth pine makes really great guitar bodies, and it's not too soft. I'm surprised more people haven't gotten into the overcharging idiots for mojo business with it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Valtaherra posted:

a hallmark swept wing

even the name is ugly

http://www.hallmarkguitars.com/guitars/wing-bat.htm

They have a guitar that looks like the loving batmobile they aren't exactly the most tasteful builders out there.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Only $200 on eBay! Hand painted Gambit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Thumposaurus posted:

They have a guitar that looks like the loving batmobile they aren't exactly the most tasteful builders out there.

I mean Jesus Christ, look at this: http://www.hallmarkguitars.com/guitars/stradette-custom.htm

I guess it'd be a good guitar for a Jazz-Metal-Rockabilly Fusion player or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Would.

E: how do you do that entire hot mess and somehow gently caress up gambit's eyes

• Locked thread