Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
The only one that comes to mind for me, even remotely, would be Kwong Ruyl or whatever the cameraman of Yoo Jae Suk in the Runningman series is, and even he wouldn't come close I think, as he's not such a looker like Abe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

ponzicar posted:

So could someone name an American celebrity who is roughly as famous in the US as Arino is in Japan? I get the impression he is more of a "hey, I think I saw that guy on tv once" celebrity than an "OHMYGOD I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH!?" celebrity judging from his interaction with the public on this show.

That's really hard to say. But probably the "Oh hey guy on tv" type of celeb would seem an accurate description of him.

Oh! Like a Nathan Fillion I would assume. (I'm not much into comic people).

Zain fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 27, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Since he seems fairly prominent as far as TV spots on various shows go, I'd compare him to a comedian like Gilbert Gottfried.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ponzicar posted:

So could someone name an American celebrity who is roughly as famous in the US as Arino is in Japan? I get the impression he is more of a "hey, I think I saw that guy on tv once" celebrity than an "OHMYGOD I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH!?" celebrity judging from his interaction with the public on this show.

Any star of a cable reality show would be a good match. I'm going to say one of the Duck Dynasty guys only because my brother is regularly mistaken for one of them when he goes out. Of course Arino actually has skill at entertaining people and will have a longer career on television than 99% of the reality show people...

Anyway, who wants a vague hint about the episode getting released really soon? It's going to be a classic!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Drakkel posted:

I'd guess about the same as an American comedian that's on tv occasionally but not constantly?

Dave Attell?

He's known fairly well to anybody who's ever had Comedy Central, had his own "reality show" for a while where he goes around to different locations and interacts with the locals, would probably get recognized on the street by a handful of people but wouldn't really get hounded all that much.

As for an American comedian who actually reminds me of Arino, humor-wise, I'd say Conan O'Brian. They may not seem at all that similar, but just imagine Conan delivering some of Arino's lines while looking into the camera. It's the same sort of deadpan observational humor. Conan does a lot more "mugging" and physical comedy, but otherwise he seems to have the same basic style. Plus Conan does that Clueless Gamer segment...

Man, Conan O'Brian would be the perfect victim host of an American version of Game Center CX.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think in terms of popularity, Arino might be close to Patton Oswalt. Recognizable, but not a super huge star, but big enough to get good exposure.

Or maybe even David Cross. It seems like Arino is relatively popular, but not an absurdly huge celebrity.

Maybe he's the Japanese equivalent of ICP. Except, actually entertaining and talented at his primary profession.:cheeky:

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
EDIT: Nevermind, missed a thing!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Cemetry Gator posted:

Maybe he's the Japanese equivalent of ICP. Except, actually entertaining and talented at his primary profession.:cheeky:
And, Arino's fans are (for the most part) not disgusting examples of human filth that nobody should touch with a 100 ft. pole unless they want to get infected by every disease known to man. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I always thought sort of Adam Savage level, perhaps, but I'm not much of a popular culture guy. v:shobon:v

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

As for an American comedian who actually reminds me of Arino, humor-wise, I'd say Conan O'Brian. They may not seem at all that similar, but just imagine Conan delivering some of Arino's lines while looking into the camera. It's the same sort of deadpan observational humor. Conan does a lot more "mugging" and physical comedy, but otherwise he seems to have the same basic style. Plus Conan does that Clueless Gamer segment...

Man, Conan O'Brian would be the perfect victim host of an American version of Game Center CX.

I think you are right. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVL8S3lUHf0RqD7TZ6hohWk8Sd3asaqnY

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mister Chief posted:

Night Of The Sickle Weasel just got ported to IOS and is coming to Android soon.

Quoting for those who missed this. It's a legit international release with a full EN localisation courtesy of Aksys, and it costs $3.99 (free download with full unlock as IAP).

(The official EN title is "Banshee's Last Cry", by the way. At a quick glance, they seem to have westernised most of the character names, and the kamaitachi is a banshee now. Hmm... surely that'll cause problems down the line...)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 27, 2014

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Since he seems fairly prominent as far as TV spots on various shows go, I'd compare him to a comedian like Gilbert Gottfried.

I would totally watch a western version of Game Center CX starring Gilbert Gottfried.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Famibomb posted:

I would totally watch a western version of Game Center CX starring Gilbert Gottfried.
What about someone even more infamous?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxp83CimT0w

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
On the topic of favorite GCCX moments while not directly GCCX this is my favorite thing to have ever come out of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXguekkfHqc

The actual clip is pretty hilarious too and probably one of my favorites. I also liked the continue check process with Nakayama but I forget the episode that was in.

thetrout
May 10, 2013
Given that he's a comedian known for doing nerdy stuff and also for hosting things, I think Arino's closest US equivalent is probably Chris Hardwick.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

flyboi posted:

On the topic of favorite GCCX moments while not directly GCCX this is my favorite thing to have ever come out of the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXguekkfHqc

The actual clip is pretty hilarious too and probably one of my favorites. I also liked the continue check process with Nakayama but I forget the episode that was in.

Wait, those are not Saturn graphi-

:haw:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

flyboi posted:

I also liked the continue check process with Nakayama but I forget the episode that was in.

The continue check was in Wing of Madoola, and is totally my favorite part of that episode.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Any star of a cable reality show would be a good match. I'm going to say one of the Duck Dynasty guys only because my brother is regularly mistaken for one of them when he goes out. Of course Arino actually has skill at entertaining people and will have a longer career on television than 99% of the reality show people...

Anyway, who wants a vague hint about the episode getting released really soon? It's going to be a classic!

Is it Spelunker?!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

WesY2K posted:

Is it Spelunker?!

It better be the Budokan live show!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Azazell0 posted:

Well, thanks to Last Continue, we know that our guys and gals are working on that, so that might very well be it. Hoping for the DKC2 three-parter myself.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Close, it's actually the Quest of Ki live show. They only subbed 5 seconds of it and repeated it over and over multiple times.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
The entire 24 hour broadcast of the Lemmings challenge?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A live feed that just follows Arino around 24/7 a la The Truman Show?

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Nipponophile posted:

Also, there's something off about this recent Tamage, but I just can't place it.

This is from a few pages ago, but... which tamage is this from? I've always wondered if GCCX had tried to crossover with Gaki no Tsukai...

edit: Oh, it's probably a GnoT segment that just looks like a tamage. That's disappointing. :v:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Nayato posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but... which tamage is this from? I've always wondered if GCCX had tried to crossover with Gaki no Tsukai...

Arino and his partner were in a Downtown show where they had to spend a day with Hamada and Matsumoto and if they were polite they (almost always Arino) got hit. I know it was subbed at some point but I have no idea where it can be found now.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I was just about to second the request for a mirror of Friendly Downtown with Yoiko, and then I found you already had a link on the new site: http://www.sa-gccx.com/episode/friendly-downtown-with-yoiko :haw:

Thanks, guys!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drakkel posted:

Arino and his partner were in a Downtown show where they had to spend a day with Hamada and Matsumoto and if they were polite they (almost always Arino) got hit. I know it was subbed at some point but I have no idea where it can be found now.

I think it's this one? I honestly only remember it because of the tsundere cafe, which is just goddamn hilarious as a concept for some reason.

Edit: Ah, sorry! Didn't refresh before I posted this. :I

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So the good news. This is not the super racist video game version of Tom Sawyer! The bad news is for Arino. It's one of those... unique games. Please do not reveal the shocking twist at the end of the episode!

This episode was translated by zari-gani and checked by Hirayuki. Original story by Samuel Clemens.

Download Torrent

I need to add that there's some video glitches in the first few minutes of the episode. Sorry about those, they were in the master. They only last a few seconds are all gone pretty quickly.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 29, 2014

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Thank you! SA-GCCX is beautiful.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

So the good news. This is not the super racist video game version of Tom Sawyer!

How is this the good news :colbert:

(I know, it's the good news because that one is an RPG and would be boring as poo poo to watch)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Excited to watch this release! I'm caught in an icestorm right now and GCCX is always good at times like this. Thank you SA-GCCX team!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
You guys are the best!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
After seeing this adaptation of Tom Sawyer, I don't feel nearly as bad about the Keanu Reeves version of the 47 Ronin.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just watched the Tom Sawyer episode... Once again, you guys did an amazing job on an episode I've watched before in raw form. (but mostly forgotten, so it felt pretty new-ish to me).

Random Stranger posted:

Please do not reveal the shocking twist at the end of the episode!
That ending was a bigger :wtc: than :lost:! Okay, not really that :wtc:, but it was still worth watching to see. :)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The return of the revenge!

(From Latest Posted Episode): http://i.imgur.com/TLMyFMQ.gif

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What's "The Game Maker"? Another series that features Arino?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is it possible that is what they call the original season where it was focused on a developer ("Game Maker") and the challenge wasn't really the "main attraction"?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's a series of DVDs produced by Gascoin Company, hosted by Arino and Hirai (of the game-loving comedy duo America Zarigani). Each DVD focuses on a different game company, and it's more of an "archive" than anything else, because it's mostly a bunch of clips showing game play of the company's famous old titles. They are silent, but there is a commentary track with Arino and Hirai.

The DVDs also include random segments featuring GCCX alumni, such as Nakayama testing how strong the hero of the Spelunker series gets with each title, a sumo game tournament with Abe and Watanabe and others, and Toujima running a retro game music bar and offering musical selections (performed by a piano player) to Arino.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

The Game Makers is a series of DVD's that Gascoin produces. They feature 8-bit era games from one company and just demonstrate them for a few minutes. There's also a couple of skits in them and they wrap up with Arino and another guest (usually the guy from American Zarigani) playing a few of those games. There's two audio tracks for the game footage, one with footage of the game and one with the comedians commenting on it. The skits usually feature Gascoin staff members like the AD's and Abe and the digital host is a mad scientist with an 8-bit Toujima. The DVD also comes with a book featuring more information about the games and advertisements from the period.

The Sega edition is the largest one they've put out so far. It's a two disk set, one featuring the arcade games and the other featuring the home games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

The Sega edition is the largest one they've put out so far. It's a two disk set, one featuring the arcade games and the other featuring the home games.

I wonder what kind gentleman managed to make that happen. Hmmmm