Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Grocer Goodwill posted:

Though, this is less relevant on modern scalar-only hardware.
IIRC, AMD does use vector ops, but it breaks everything into scalar operations and re-vectorizes them during code generation.

Also "mul" doesn't actually exist in glsl so you're free to just #define mul(a,b) ((b) * (a))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alright, cool. I'm totally new to all this and I'm trying to get a feel for how to do things the correct way so I don't have to fix any bad habits down the road.

Next newbie question: I'm working with post-processing effects via framebuffers. My framebuffer texture is seemingly upside down?

Here are my co-ordinates (x, y, u, v) starting upper-right and going counter clockwise:
code:
{1.0,   1.0, 1.0, 0.0},
{-1.0,  1.0, 0.0, 0.0},
{-1.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1.0},

{-1.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1.0},
{1.0,  -1.0, 1.0, 1.0},
{1.0,   1.0, 1.0, 0.0}
which I'm fairly certain are correct, and similar UV co-ordinates on textures I'm loading via SDL produce textures that are correctly oriented both in the 3D world and in my 2D orthographic UI.

I'm correcting this in my vertex shader as follows:

code:
#version 150

in vec2 xy;
in vec2 uv;

out vec2 UV;

void main()
{
	UV = vec2(uv.x, 1.0 - uv.y);
	gl_Position = vec4(xy, 0.0, 1.0);
}
but I'd like to make sure that there isn't something dumb that I'm doing. I've seen other people asking about this and the solution was to alter the UV mapping which seems backwards.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 5, 2014

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.
OpenGL texture coordinates have the origin in the lower left, so your v coordinates are upside down. The reason it looks fine with your other textures is because most image file formats store texture data top down. So if you're passing in that data as-is to glTexImage2D, you're uploading the texture data upside down as well, and the two cancel each other out.

If you really want to do it the "right" way, flip your v coords around and change your texture loader to flip the scanlines over, then everything will be consistent and you wont need to insert a 1 - v in your post-process shaders. It's not a big deal, though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Grocer Goodwill posted:

It's slightly more efficient to leave the matrices row-major and reverse the multiplication in the shader. i.e. mul(vec, mat) instead of mul(mat, vec). This compiles to 4 independent dot product instructions instead of 4 dependent madds. Though, this is less relevant on modern scalar-only hardware.

They're not constant in the same sense as a compile-time constant in C/C++. There's no magic the shader compiler can do to coalesce several uniform matrix multiplies down to one.

Yeah though I think the memory space uniforms inhabit is really fast and is cached as well

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I am trying to create a very basic mesh renderer using D3D11 to use in my final project for school. Although I followed the basic online tutorials like the rastertek site's and Frank De Luna's book to the letter, used the simplest passthrough shader imaginable, etc, I couldn't get my triangles to show up on the screen. Finally I found out about VS 2013's graphics debugging ability, and I was able to find out that my vertex and index buffers were filled with garbage data. I've hosted the solution here if you want to run the code, but can someone familiar with D3D and/or its SharpDX C# wrapper tell me what I'm doing wrong in the following code?

This is my geometry data. The Vertex struct has Vector4 position and color fields, and Index is an alias for ushort.

code:
var vertices = new[]
{
	new Vertex(new Vector4(-1, 1, 0, 1), Color.Red),
	new Vertex(new Vector4(1, 1, 0, 1), Color.Green),
	new Vertex(new Vector4(1, -1, 0, 1), Color.Blue),
	new Vertex(new Vector4(-1, -1, 0, 1), Color.White)
};
var indices = new Index[]
{
	0, 2, 1,
	0, 3, 2
};
And here is the code that fails to initialize my vertex and index buffers with the above data.

code:
var vStream = new DataStream(sizeInBytes: vertices.Length * sizeof(Vertex), canRead: false, canWrite: true);
var iStream = new DataStream(sizeInBytes: indices.Length * sizeof(Index), canRead: false, canWrite: true);
{
	vStream.WriteRange(vertices);
	iStream.WriteRange(indices);
	vBuffer = new Buffer(
		device, vStream, new BufferDescription(
			vertices.Length * sizeof(Vertex),
			ResourceUsage.Immutable,
			BindFlags.VertexBuffer,
			CpuAccessFlags.None,
			ResourceOptionFlags.None,
			0)) { DebugName = "Vertex Buffer" };
	iBuffer = new Buffer(
		device, iStream, new BufferDescription(
			indices.Length * sizeof(Index),
			ResourceUsage.Immutable,
			BindFlags.IndexBuffer,
			CpuAccessFlags.None,
			0)) { DebugName = "Index Buffer" };
}
If I replace the above code with the following, however, it works. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

code:
vBuffer = Buffer.Create(
	device, vertices, new BufferDescription(
		vertices.Length * sizeof(Vertex),
		ResourceUsage.Immutable,
		BindFlags.VertexBuffer,
		CpuAccessFlags.None,
		0));
vBuffer.DebugName = "Vertex Buffer";
iBuffer = Buffer.Create(
	device, indices, new BufferDescription(
		indices.Length * sizeof(Index),
		ResourceUsage.Immutable,
		BindFlags.IndexBuffer,
		CpuAccessFlags.None,
		0));
iBuffer.DebugName = "Index Buffer";

EkardNT fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 6, 2014

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I don't know that C# framework at all, but wouldn't the Buffer ctor need to read from the DataStreams that you have "canRead: false" set?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grocer Goodwill posted:

OpenGL texture coordinates have the origin in the lower left, so your v coordinates are upside down. The reason it looks fine with your other textures is because most image file formats store texture data top down. So if you're passing in that data as-is to glTexImage2D, you're uploading the texture data upside down as well, and the two cancel each other out.

If you really want to do it the "right" way, flip your v coords around and change your texture loader to flip the scanlines over, then everything will be consistent and you wont need to insert a 1 - v in your post-process shaders. It's not a big deal, though.

Okay, thanks. I didn't realize that the coordinates I was using were "pre-flipped" to adjust for flipped textures. I've gone ahead and fixed the coordinates on my framebuffer quads for reflection and post-processing but I'll leave the UI quads and texture loading alone; I'll go fix those if it turns out to be a problem when I start to implement model loading.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

Madox posted:

I don't know that C# framework at all, but wouldn't the Buffer ctor need to read from the DataStreams that you have "canRead: false" set?

I think the canRead and canWrite fields only affect users of the library, not the internals. It turns out my problem was due to not resetting the stream pointers after writing my vertex and index data. Changing this:

code:

to this:

code:
vStream.Position = 0;
iStream.Position = 0;
fixed the problem.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

EkardNT posted:

I think the canRead and canWrite fields only affect users of the library, not the internals. It turns out my problem was due to not resetting the stream pointers after writing my vertex and index data. Changing this:

code:

to this:

code:
vStream.Position = 0;
iStream.Position = 0;
fixed the problem.

Ah... odd that it doesn't implement separate read and write positions like the C++ streams do.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's a good and simple image format to build a viewer for (in OpenGL, if that matters)? GIF, PNG, JPEG, anything that can be made in Paint is fine with me.

For some minor explanation, I'm just loving around with stuff and trying to make something more "show-off"-able than a ProjectEuler problem. The thing I'm making is a very simple game (Theseus and the Minotaur) from the ground up.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PNG for lossless, JPEG for disk size, DDS if you need DXT compression.

If you're doing one of the first two in C/C++, use FreeImage. If you really need to roll your own loader for non-compressed images for some reason, use TGA and DDS.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 8, 2014

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah though I think the memory space uniforms inhabit is really fast and is cached as well

This greatly depends on the hardware.

For example, most of the modern cards do not actually have uniform registers anymore and treat everything as a constant buffer (it's just that what were previously 'uniforms' are now part of a magic global constant buffer). Constant buffer reads are cached similar to textures. A fun bit of trivia was that the early NV Tesla cards didn't cache constant buffer reads so they were slower than uniforms.

OneEightHundred: That was more true for AMD's Northern Islands. Southern Islands and on are (more) scalar and I think the scheduling happens on the compute units themselves. I haven't read their docs in a while though so I don't remember all the details.

EDIT: I may be misremembering NI, which I think is purely vector all the time. Is that what you meant? In terms of GPGPU they'd have to vectorize everything.

Spite fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 8, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Spite posted:

EDIT: I may be misremembering NI, which I think is purely vector all the time. Is that what you meant? In terms of GPGPU they'd have to vectorize everything.
Looks like I'm wrong, tried some stuff in ShaderAnalyzer and it's only dumping scalar ops in the final assembly. It used to vectorize the instructions despite the IL being scalar, but apparently they don't do that any more I guess.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OneEightHundred posted:

PNG for lossless, JPEG for disk size, DDS if you need DXT compression.

If you're doing one of the first two in C/C++, use FreeImage. If you really need to roll your own loader for non-compressed images for some reason, use TGA and DDS.

Thanks, and I'll take a look at FreeImage, it should help if I get stuck on something. I do want to try to write it myself, because I've never really messed with real file formats before and need something to get started with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You really don't want to try to roll your own loader for a modern compressed image format.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

haveblue posted:

You really don't want to try to roll your own loader for a modern compressed image format.

I am very quickly finding this out by reading the "PNG Guide"-thing on libpng.net.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I decided very early on in my project that writing my own loader for images would be an incredible waste of time so I settled on SDL_Image to do it for me. I'm also using SDL_TTF for fonts and SDL itself for creating a window and OpenGL context and handling input and sound.

There's so much to do just on the rendering side that I don't even feel like I'm cheating or anything by offloading some of this work onto other peoples' libraries.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
Right now I'm working on porting the flocking example from the 5th edition superbible to iOS7. I'm trying to convert the texture buffers to pixel buffers (ios7 doesn't support GL_TEXTURE_BUFFER), and I'm getting the error "The specified operation is invalid for the current OpenGL state"

if (frame_index & 1) {
glBindBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER, position_tbo[0]);
glTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, flock_size, 1, 0, GL_RGB, GL_FLOAT, &flock_position[0]);//!The specified operation is invalid for the current OpenGL state
glBindBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER, velocity_tbo[0]);
glTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, flock_size, 1, 0, GL_RGB, GL_FLOAT, &flock_velocity[0]);//!The specified operation is invalid for the current OpenGL state
glBindVertexArray(render_vao[1]);
} else {
glBindBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER, position_tbo[1]);
glTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, flock_size, 1, 0, GL_RGB, GL_FLOAT, &flock_position[1]);
glBindBuffer(GL_PIXEL_UNPACK_BUFFER, velocity_tbo[1]);
glTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, flock_size, 1, 0, GL_RGB, GL_FLOAT, &flock_velocity[1]);
glBindVertexArray(render_vao[0]);
}

The reason the height is 1 is in order to imitate GL_TEXTURE_1D which iOS doesn't support. As far as I know, I don't need to call glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D) for with ES 3.0, what might I be missing?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Pixel buffers aren't really analogous to texture buffer objects. PBO is more for asynchronous upload/download. Why are you using them and not just straight textures?

EDIT: To be more clear: PBO is just used for transferring data, not storing it.
Basically, how they work is you bind the buffer, and the glTexImage call reads from that buffer instead of whatever pointer you pass. In this case, the argument that was a pointer becomes an offset.

Spite fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 10, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

edit2: I have a real question now.

So a while back I tried Java + OpenGL and I remember that you could use PushMatrix and PopMatrix to "move" vertices. So even though I said that the vertex is at position (0,0,0) if I pushed a matrix that transformed everything to (5,5,5) that vertex would then be at (5,5,5).

Now I'm following this tutorial for C++ / OpenGL. It starts right off with shaders.

I'm getting the impression that because I'm using shaders PushMatrix and PopMatrix aren't going to work.

This question seems to indicate that I need to do some weird poo poo that I don't completely understand to achieve a similar effect.

Is there a Quick+Dirty way to do this or do I have to mess with shaders to achieve the same effect?

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 15, 2014

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Push and Pop matrix were features of the fixed function pipeline and I imagine weren't even provided by the hardware just the OpenGL runtime storing your matrices behind the scenes on a stack. You can essentially do the same thing yourself using any Stack container your language of choice has available. Push your current model view matrix on to the stack, send a new matrix to your vertex shader, draw whatever, pop your stack to retrieve the old matrix, send it to your vertex shader, draw whatever, etc...

Push and Pop matrix were just conveniences that most modern programming languages have available anyway.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

DSauer posted:

Push and Pop matrix were features of the fixed function pipeline and I imagine weren't even provided by the hardware just the OpenGL runtime storing your matrices behind the scenes on a stack. You can essentially do the same thing yourself using any Stack container your language of choice has available. Push your current model view matrix on to the stack, send a new matrix to your vertex shader, draw whatever, pop your stack to retrieve the old matrix, send it to your vertex shader, draw whatever, etc...

Push and Pop matrix were just conveniences that most modern programming languages have available anyway.

Ohhhh kay. I think I'm kind of getting it.

The supplied shader code looks like this:

code:
#version 330 core

// Input vertex data, different for all executions of this shader.
layout(location = 0) in vec3 vertexPosition_modelspace;
layout(location = 1) in vec3 vertexColor;

// Output data ; will be interpolated for each fragment.
out vec3 fragmentColor;
// Values that stay constant for the whole mesh.
uniform mat4 MVP;

void main(){	

// Output position of the vertex, in clip space : MVP * position
    gl_Position =  MVP * vec4(vertexPosition_modelspace,1);

// The color of each vertex will be interpolated
    // to produce the color of each fragment
    fragmentColor = vertexColor;
}
In this case the whole Model View Projection(?) is passed to the shader. This isn't what I want, correct?
I should pass in the Projection, Model and View separately with glUniformMatrix4fv in my code.

If, however, I just want to pass in a set of vertexes and just change their position, I could give the shader a "transform" uniform and only have it use that instead. Then when I want to use the camera I give it the full Model View and Projection.

Is that the procedure?

So the shader would look more like

code:
#version 330 core

out vec3 fragmentColor;
uniform mat4 Model;
uniform mat4 View;
uniform mat4 Projection;

uniform mat4 Translate;

void main(){	

if(Translate == null) // or whatever
    {
        gl_Position =  (Projection * View * Model) * vec4(vertexPosition_modelspace,1);
    }
    else
        gl_Position = Translate * vec4(vertexPosition_modelspace,1);

}
?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You don't even really need to mess around with matrices to translate a vertex in a vertex shader; you can outright move the actual vertex coordinates before you run them through the MVP matrix to position them properly in view space. I don't actually know GLSL so the following is my best guess at what this should look like. I'm sure you'll get it.

code:
#version 330 core

out vec3 fragmentColor;

uniform mat4 MVP;

// Pass in the translation vector (a direction) you want for your vertex. 
// Remember that the vertex shader gets run for all the verts that you asked to have drawn
// so its effectively a constant (uniform?), each vert will receive the same translation.
// If you want to move each vertex individually to different positions you'll need to get tricky
uniform vec3 translation;

void main(){	

vec3 newPosition = vertexPosition_modelspace + translation;

gl_Position = MVP * vec4(newPosition,1);

}
For rotations and scaling you'll need to use properly formed matrices and multiply the MVP in the correct place.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 16, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

DSauer posted:

You don't even really need to mess around with matrices to translate a vertex in a vertex shader; you can outright move the actual vertex coordinates before you run them through the MVP matrix to position them properly in view space. I don't actually know GLSL so the following is my best guess at what this should look like. I'm sure you'll get it.

For rotations and scaling you'll need to use properly formed matrices and multiply the MVP in the correct place.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

So I'm trying to understand how this is working behind the scenes.

Each time I call glDrawArrays (or whatever) the vertices and whatnot in my VBOs are getting run through the vertex shader and getting translated (or rotated or scaled or whatever).

Before I make the draw call I can modify the uniforms in the shader to change where the verts show up.

So then the "camera" is just the MVP matrix that finally transforms all of the (previously transformed) verts into camera space?

Thanks again, just wanted to make sure I'm understanding this properly. This is my first foray into shader-land.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much. The minimum work any shader does is identical to the work the fixed-function pipeline would be doing; the power and flexibility come from adding operations on top of that basic process.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Tres Burritos posted:

So then the "camera" is just the MVP matrix that finally transforms all of the (previously transformed) verts into camera space?

Just wanted to correct this since transform to camera space is only one part of what MVP matrix does. The Model or world matrix places the verts in the world, which you can skip if you are doing the translation thing described here (or set M to identity). The View matrix transforms world to camera space. The Projection matrix transforms from camera space into 2d screen coordinates.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Hahaha shaders are loving sweet.

So if I have 1 VBO that is just vertices I can re use it over and over and make say ... 10,000 cubes with it no problem?

Each cube is really just a vec3 for position and a vec3 for color that is passed into the shader.

That's so bad rear end. So the memory usage on this is like nada, right? Is there a linux tool that'll like help you write and debug shaders that you guys recommend?

edit: hahaha 100k cubes works too. ALL THE CUBES!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Is there an OpenGL debugger that works in Windows 8.1?

I've tried gDebugger (both the Graphics Remedy version and the new AMD one) and they all blow up on me when breaking and trying to inspect textures.

NVidia's NSight doesn't seem to like the fact that I'm rendering in OpenGL within a QT widget (most/all of the fancy HUD stuff does not work).

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm going to take a shot at implementing metropolis light transport for a project at uni. I have a simple homebrewn raytracer that's single threaded, but easy to debug. Would it be a good idea to do the implementation in a GPU accelerated framework like NVIDIA OptiX, or something? What would you recommend?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Boz0r posted:

I'm going to take a shot at implementing metropolis light transport for a project at uni. I have a simple homebrewn raytracer that's single threaded, but easy to debug. Would it be a good idea to do the implementation in a GPU accelerated framework like NVIDIA OptiX, or something? What would you recommend?

If you want it to be fast, then a GPU ray tracer is a good option. I'd recommend Optix if you can, just because, as much of a pain as learning a non-trivial API can be, it solves a lot of fiddly technical problems that are much more less obvious as well.

vv This is also true vv

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 24, 2014

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Boz0r posted:

MLT is much easier to implement on the CPU. I'd recommend using your homebrew raytracer to work out all the details and then do a GPU version once you know exactly what you need to do.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I've dumped bullet into my project and I'm having trouble converting Bullets rotations to GLM rotations to Vertex shader rotations.

This is what the C++ / bullet code looks like.

code:
//bullet
dynamicsWorld->stepSimulation((float)TimeDelta,10);
btTransform trans;
fallRigidBody->getMotionState()->getWorldTransform(trans);

//set cube position based on physics
c.Position.x = (float)trans.getOrigin().getX();
c.Position.y = (float)trans.getOrigin().getY();
c.Position.z = (float)trans.getOrigin().getZ();

//set cube rotation based on physics
c.Rotation.x = (float)trans.getRotation().normalize().getAxis().getX();
c.Rotation.y = (float)trans.getRotation().normalize().getAxis().getY();
c.Rotation.z = (float)trans.getRotation().normalize().getAxis().getZ();
c.Rotation.w = (float)trans.getRotation().normalize().getW();
c.Rotation is a glm::quaternion.

The vertex shader looks like this:

code:
#version 330 core

out vec3 fragmentColor;

uniform mat4 MVP;
uniform mat4 Model;
uniform mat4 View;
uniform mat4 Projection;

//MY poo poo
uniform vec3 color;
uniform mat4 rotation;
uniform vec3 translation;

uniform mat4 vertex_translation;

void main(){	

//apply color
    fragmentColor = color;

//ROTATION HAPPENS HERE
    mat4 MyModel =Model * vertex_translation * rotation;
    mat4 MyMVP = Projection * View * MyModel;
    gl_Position = MyMVP * vec4(vertexPosition_modelspace,1);

}
The rotation Uniform gets sent to the shader thusly:

code:
//send rotation to uniform
mat4 rot = mat4_cast(Rotation);
glUniformMatrix4fv(RotationUniform, 1, GL_FALSE, &rot[0][0]);
So the cube falls and moves on the xyz no problem. However when I throw in this rotation stuff, it does rotate but the cube gets all squashed and stretched and weird looking. Am I reading the bullet documentation wrong? Similarly, I've never really dealt with quaternions before and I'm not 100% sure that something isn't getting lost in the "Bullet::quaternion > glm::quaternion > glm::mat4 > shader" pipeline.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I'm trying to follow along what I'm convinced is a terrible OpenGL tutorial, I have a better one but I don't quite want to stop whatever progress I currently have in it until I have some more time (because my first assignment blah blah) to try the other one I have.

http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/tutorial-3-matrices/ <- this site here.

Specifically the suggestion of: "Modify ModelMatrix to translate, rotate, then scale the triangle"

This puzzles me as no where in the example code is this possible, and the code snippets on the site itself are confusing.

I'm assuming I'm supposed to use some combination of:

quote:

mat4 myMatrix;
vec4 myVector;
// fill myMatrix and myVector somehow
vec4 transformedVector = myMatrix * myVector; // Yeah,
//it's pretty much the same than GLM

This confuses me, am I actually supposed to fill in the matrix manually? Or does it do it automatically?

quote:

#include <glm/transform.hpp> // after <glm/glm.hpp>

glm::mat4 myMatrix = glm::translate(10.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
glm::vec4 myVector(10.0f, 10.0f, 10.0f, 0.0f);
glm::vec4 transformedVector = myMatrix * myVector;
// guess the result

/*
In GLSL : Well, in fact, you almost never do this. Most of the time, you use glm::translate() in C++ to compute your matrix, send it to GLSL, and do only the multiplication :

vec4 transformedVector = myMatrix * myVector;
*/

This section also confuses me as I'm not 100% clear on the difference between GLSL and GLM, he says "use glm:translate()" and blah but I'm not clear on what that actually means in terms of code. It seems obvious to me that the last line isn't "alone" then.

Scaling:

quote:

// Use #include <glm/gtc/matrix_transform.hpp> and #include <glm/gtx/transform.hpp>
glm::mat4 myScalingMatrix = glm::scale(2.0f, 2.0f ,2.0f);

Rotation:

quote:

// Use #include <glm/gtc/matrix_transform.hpp> and #include <glm/gtx/transform.hpp>
glm::vec3 myRotationAxis( ??, ??, ??);
glm::rotate( angle_in_degrees, myRotationAxis );

Do I literally leave the '?' there? He doesn't touch on this at all.

Then we use:

quote:

/*
TransformedVector = TranslationMatrix * RotationMatrix *
ScaleMatrix * OriginalVector;
*/

//in C++, with GLM :

glm::mat4 myModelMatrix = myTranslationMatrix *
myRotationMatrix * myScaleMatrix;
glm::vec4 myTransformedVector = myModelMatrix * myOriginalVector;

//in GLSL :
/*
mat4 transform = mat2 * mat1;
vec4 out_vec = transform * in_vec;
*/

To use them all, *I think*. In the source code none of this appears, only what he has at the end when he transitions to using the camera view and homogenous coordinates.

Is it supposed to be all of this cobbled together and then the result put where:

quote:

glUniformMatrix4fv(MatrixID, 1, GL_FALSE, &MVP[0][0]);

MVP is supposed to go?

Here's my version of the code for up to this tutorial, I excluded for brevity the functions that actually define the triangle vertices and the coloring thereof, whats important to know is that there's just a single triangle:

quote:

glm::mat4 blInitMatrix() {
// Projection matrix : 45° Field of View, 4:3 ratio, display range :
//0.1 unit <-> 100 units
glm::mat4 Projection = glm::perspective(45.0f, 4.0f / 3.0f, 0.1f, 100.0f);

// Or, for an ortho camera :
//glm::mat4 Projection = glm::ortho(-10.0f,10.0f,-10.0f,10.0f,0.0f,100.0f);
// In world coordinates

// Camera matrix
glm::mat4 View = glm::lookAt(
glm::vec3(1, 3, 3), // Camera is at (4,3,3), in World Space
glm::vec3(0, 0, 0), // and looks at the origin
glm::vec3(0, 1, 0) // Head is up (set to 0,-1,0 to look upside-down)
);
// Model matrix : an identity matrix (model will be at the origin)
glm::mat4 Model = glm::mat4(1.0f);
// Our ModelViewProjection : multiplication of our 3 matrices
glm::mat4 MVP = Projection * View * Model; // Remember, matrix multiplication is the other way around

return MVP;
}

int main( void )
{
// Initialise GLFW
if( !glfwInit() )
{
fprintf( stderr, "Failed to initialize GLFW\n" );
return -1;
}

glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_FSAA_SAMPLES, 4);
glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_WINDOW_NO_RESIZE,GL_TRUE);
glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_VERSION_MAJOR, 3);
glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_VERSION_MINOR, 3);
glfwOpenWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_CORE_PROFILE);

// Open a window and create its OpenGL context
if( !glfwOpenWindow( 1024, 768, 0,0,0,0, 32,0, GLFW_WINDOW ) )
{
fprintf( stderr, "Failed to open GLFW window. If you have an Intel GPU,
// they are not 3.3 compatible. Try the 2.1 version of the tutorials.\n" );
glfwTerminate();
return -1;
}

// Initialize GLEW
if (glewInit() != GLEW_OK) {
fprintf(stderr, "Failed to initialize GLEW\n");
return -1;
}

glfwSetWindowTitle( "Playground" );

// Ensure we can capture the escape key being pressed below
glfwEnable( GLFW_STICKY_KEYS );

// Dark blue background
glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.4f, 0.0f);

// Create and compile our GLSL program from the shaders
//GLuint programID = LoadShaders("SimpleVertexShader.vertexshader",
"SimpleFragmentShader.fragmentshader");
//GLuint programID = LoadShaders("TransformVertexShader.vertexshader",
"ColorFragmentShader.fragmentshader");
GLuint programID = LoadShaders("SimpleVertexShader.vertexshader",
"ColorFragmentShader.fragmentshader");
//GLuint programID = LoadShaders("TransformVertexShader.vertexshader",
"SingleColor.fragmentshader");

// Get a handle for our "MVP" uniform
GLuint MatrixID = glGetUniformLocation(programID, "MVP");

glm::mat4 MVP = blInitMatrix();
static const GLushort g_element_buffer_data[] = { 0, 1, 2 };

GLuint vertexbuffer = blInitVertexBuffer();

GLuint colorbuffer = blInitColorBuffer();

bool flag = false;
do{

// Clear the screen
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);

// Use our shader
glUseProgram(programID);

// Send our transformation to the currently bound shader,
// in the "MVP" uniform

blDrawTriangle(vertexbuffer);
//glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_LINE);
// shows only wireframe.
blPaintColor(colorbuffer);

glDisableVertexAttribArray(0);
//glDisableVertexAttribArray(1);

// Swap buffers
glfwSwapBuffers();

//

} // Check if the ESC key was pressed or the window was closed
while (glfwGetKey(GLFW_KEY_ESC) != GLFW_PRESS &&
glfwGetWindowParam(GLFW_OPENED));

// Close OpenGL window and terminate GLFW
glfwTerminate();

// Cleanup VBO
//glDeleteBuffers(1, &vertexbuffer);
//glDeleteVertexArrays(1, &VertexArrayID);

return 0;
}

I also have no idea what "static const GLushort g_element_buffer_data[] = { 0, 1, 2 };" is for, it never gets used for anything.

e: Ditched the code tags as it was hurting the forum.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 27, 2014

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
1. Use the translate, rotate, and scale functions to "fill in" your matrix, then you can multiply those matrices together. Read up on 3D matrix math.
2. He's trying to show that the math (i.e. the matrix multiplication) used by GLM is similar to GLSL, but suggests that you build the matrix first in GLM/C++ and then send the final matrix to GLSL via glUniformMatrix4fv().
3. The "??" is the X, Y, Z coordinates of the rotation axis. So if you want to rotate a vector around the Z axis, specify (0, 0, 1).
4. You're correct about using MVP and glUniformMatrix4fv() - build your matrix with GLM and then send that to GLSL where the shader will multiply it by the vertex.
5. "g_element_buffer_data" looks like the indexes used to draw the triangle - it must be used (or something similar) inside blDrawTriangle()

VVV Sure, but I was too lazy to quote his post!

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 27, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

edit: gently caress, beaten

You may be in luck, I've been using those tutorials as a sort of guideline / fallback position for when I don't know what to do. That being said, I've been dicking around with 3d poo poo for a while and have done a teensy bit of openGL before so I may not be as lost as you.

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I'm trying to follow along what I'm convinced is a terrible OpenGL tutorial, I have a better one but I don't quite want to stop whatever progress I currently have in it until I have some more time (because my first assignment blah blah) to try the other one I have.

http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/tutorial-3-matrices/ <- this site here.

Specifically the suggestion of: "Modify ModelMatrix to translate, rotate, then scale the triangle"

This puzzles me as no where in the example code is this possible, and the code snippets on the site itself are confusing.

If you skip ahead a bit, the whole shebang looks something like this.

code:
glm::mat4 RotationMatrix = mat4_cast(gOrientation2);
glm::mat4 TranslationMatrix = translate(mat4(), gPosition2); // A bit to the right
glm::mat4 ScalingMatrix = scale(mat4(), vec3(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f));
glm::mat4 ModelMatrix = TranslationMatrix * RotationMatrix * ScalingMatrix;

glm::mat4 MVP = ProjectionMatrix * ViewMatrix * ModelMatrix;

// Send our transformation to the currently bound shader, 
// in the "MVP" uniform
glUniformMatrix4fv(ModelMatrixID, 1, GL_FALSE, &ModelMatrix[0][0]);
glUniformMatrix4fv(ViewMatrixID, 1, GL_FALSE, &ViewMatrix[0][0]);
I don't know why Tutorial 17 is where rotations are covered, but there you go.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This confuses me, am I actually supposed to fill in the matrix manually? Or does it do it automatically?

Sort of, creating a mat4 gives you an identity matrix, to make it a translation matrix you need to use translate to change the identity matrix into a translation matrix. To do this, you just pass in a vec3 with the xyz translation you want to make. Then when you multiply your position vector by that matrix, it'll move it based on that initial vector. You could honestly just add the x, y and z values together but the matrix works too.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This section also confuses me as I'm not 100% clear on the difference between GLSL and GLM, he says "use glm:translate()" and blah but I'm not clear on what that actually means in terms of code. It seems obvious to me that the last line isn't "alone" then.

See above, also bookmark the glm documentation. It's ... okay, and should help you find what you're looking for.

http://glm.g-truc.net/0.9.5/api/modules.html

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do I literally leave the '?' there? He doesn't touch on this at all.

Nope, that's just whatever axis you want to rotate around in 3d space. Rotate creates a rotation matrix based on an axis and an angle.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Then we use:

To use them all, *I think*. In the source code none of this appears, only what he has at the end when he transitions to using the camera view and homogenous coordinates.

Is it supposed to be all of this cobbled together and then the result put where:

MVP is supposed to go?
yes

Tres Burritos fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 27, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yay! Thanks to both of you I think I figured it out, my version ended up looking like this:

quote:

glm::mat4 blInitMatrix2() {
// translation matrix 10 units in the x direction
mat4 myTranslationMatrix = glm::translate(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
// Identity matrix
mat4 myIdentityMatrix = glm::mat4(1.0f);
// Scaling matrices, double everything!
mat4 myScalingMatrix = glm::scale(2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f);
// rotation along the ZED-axis (drat yanks.... grumble,grumble,grumble...)
vec3 myRotationAxis(0, 0, 1);
// 90 degrees? Just gonna guess that 'rotate' returns me a matrix
mat4 myRotationMatrix = rotate(90.0f /* Apparently this is a float */, myRotationAxis);
// Now all of our powers combined!
mat4 myModelMatrix = myTranslationMatrix * myRotationMatrix * myScalingMatrix * myIdentityMatrix;

return myModelMatrix;
}

I actually panicked/got weawwy weawwy depressed not knowing what I did wrong because no traingle until I realized "10" units in the x direction must've moved it off my screen. :shobon: So I changed it to a 0 and voia, huge gently caress off triangle taking up most of the window. :D

I feel sorry for the people in my class who don't have much of a C++ background. At least I know the COMMANDMENTS:

1. If in doubt google/search stackoverflow.
2. If not (2) then trial and error.
3. If not (2) than run and cry to an Internet forum. :shobon:

:sun:

So yeah, weird thing you guys might appreciate is that on my Optimus graphics setup on my laptop the line "glfwOpenWindow( 1024, 768, 0,0,0,0, 32,0, GLFW_WINDOW )" doesn't work by default because the GPU being used is the Intel one and not the nvidia one. It took some fiddling to fix this as there's this weird delay for my nvidia control center it seems but I can't imagine this being intuitive for other students.

Stackoverflow people seemed to think it should've been ( 1024, 768, 0,0,0,0, 24,8, GLFW_WINDOW ) but that didn't fix it for obvious reasons; but it does bring up some food for thought, at what point do I start caring about AA, stencil buffering, filtering, sampling and those other advance video game graphics options?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 27, 2014

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Tres Burritos posted:

So I've dumped bullet into my project and I'm having trouble converting Bullets rotations to GLM rotations to Vertex shader rotations.

This is what the C++ / bullet code looks like.

So the cube falls and moves on the xyz no problem. However when I throw in this rotation stuff, it does rotate but the cube gets all squashed and stretched and weird looking. Am I reading the bullet documentation wrong? Similarly, I've never really dealt with quaternions before and I'm not 100% sure that something isn't getting lost in the "Bullet::quaternion > glm::quaternion > glm::mat4 > shader" pipeline.

Hahahah fuuuuuck. Needed to normalize the quaternion. :suicide:.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm starting out my MLT project by implementing a Bidirectional Path Tracer, and I have a question.

From my understanding, it's supposed to do a random walk from both the lights and the eye, and connect each point with each other. If I do walks with just two bounces, I'll end up with 6 points and having to shade each surface from five different angles. If some of these surface are reflective, it'll add even more bounces. Is this correct?

It seems like a lot of bounces when I also have several different light sources.

EDIT: And should I use the color of the surfaces, or just the luminance?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 28, 2014

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Boz0r posted:

From my understanding, it's supposed to do a random walk from both the lights and the eye, and connect each point with each other. If I do walks with just two bounces, I'll end up with 6 points and having to shade each surface from five different angles. If some of these surface are reflective, it'll add even more bounces. Is this correct?
That's basically correct. You trace a path from the eye and a path from one light until both terminate by either leaving the scene or through Russian roulette. Then you'd connect every vertex in the light path with every vertex in the eye path. Each combination of vertices and connections would then be weighted according to a specific formula. There are subtleties though, like handling light paths that directly intersect the camera.

Boz0r posted:

It seems like a lot of bounces when I also have several different light sources.
Bidirectional path tracing does involve tracing a lot of rays, but it converges faster than a forward path tracer for the same number of rays.

Boz0r posted:

And should I use the color of the surfaces, or just the luminance?
The colour for any given bounce would be, if I remember correctly, the incoming radiance multiplied by the colour of the surface multiplied by the BRDF and divided by the PDF.

Anyway, it sounds like you're just starting out. I wouldn't dive into bidirectional path tracing just yet. Implementing one is probably harder implementing MLT. A simple forward path tracer would be a better place to start. It's easier to get right and it's important to have a ground truth to test against when you're working on more complicated algorithms. Trust me, when you're doing MLT or Bidir, you're going to get a lot of images that are almost correct. Without being able to do an A/B comparison, you'll probably end up with something doesn't generate correct results.

Kelemen style MLT can be added to either a forward or bidirectional path tracers fairly easily after the fact. I'd focus on the basics first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks, that's a lot of good info. I've already implemented a normal path tracer which works fine, but it doesn't convert easily to a bidirectional one. It's just a simple recursive bouncer that shades every surface it hits and returns less and less of each surface.

It doesn't seem as simple if I have to keep track of 2+ paths at the same time.