Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

So your fast shutter speeds are out of whack? I usually thought it was the slow speeds that go crazy first. But the inaccuracy of those fast shutter speeds would probably kill me since I shoot only slide film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

dukeku posted:

Decided to test my shutter speeds:

420 inaccurate speeds every day
What app is this?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shutter-speed/id560154244?mt=8

I use the photoplug as well.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

alkanphel posted:

Yeah just shoot a range of bright to dark scenes, if there's a light leak it should be fairly obvious. And yeah just put the Hassy on a stable surface and try the 1/4-1 sec speeds, shooting for the same exposure each time to compare.

Also, 2 shots from Japan with my Hassy, on Velvia 50:
Thanks, and great shots. I'm heading up to Japan in April so I'm really keen to learn as much before than as I can.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Thanks, and great shots. I'm heading up to Japan in April so I'm really keen to learn as much before than as I can.

Japan will be a great place to shoot with the Hassy! I came back with a ton of great photos and the light was wonderful too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Japan will be a great place to shoot with the Hassy! I came back with a ton of great photos and the light was wonderful too.

Except in the winter when it's gone by 5:30pm :smith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dukeku posted:

Laziest shutter in all of the land.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

dukeku posted:

I like that the 135mm and the 210mm are faster at 1/250s than they are at 1/500s.

The 90mm just gives up at 1/60s.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Starting a project documenting all the weird characters that hang around Times Square trying to fleece money from tourists.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Starting a project documenting all the weird characters that hang around Times Square trying to fleece money from tourists.

Excellent shot.
What did you shoot with?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Wow, that's fantastic.

I went through and read your post history in this thread, and now I'm even more excited to get into MF if you only started in September and you're already producing these results. This shot is massively different to your others, though -- can I go out on a limb and guess it's slide film? I have no experience yet but I'm trying to pick up what I can.

Got my tracking number from KEH. Expected delivery is next Tuesday, when I've got the day off work. Which would be great except I always get stuff delivered to work. :negative:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
How many rap CDs did you have to buy for them to let you take the picture?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Excellent shot.
What did you shoot with?

Thanks! Portra 400 on a Pentax 6x7.

Baron Dirigible posted:

Wow, that's fantastic.

I went through and read your post history in this thread, and now I'm even more excited to get into MF if you only started in September and you're already producing these results. This shot is massively different to your others, though -- can I go out on a limb and guess it's slide film? I have no experience yet but I'm trying to pick up what I can.

Got my tracking number from KEH. Expected delivery is next Tuesday, when I've got the day off work. Which would be great except I always get stuff delivered to work. :negative:

Nope, just regular Portra. Not sure why it turned out so well, esp considering I surreptitiously metered with an app on my phone before I approached them and then just trusted it would be okay.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

How many rap CDs did you have to buy for them to let you take the picture?

I tipped them a dollar or two each. Those rap cd guys are terrible though. I always see them going after asian tourists who clearly don't speak english.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I just noticed Iron Man's fanny pack, :lol:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Awkward Davies posted:

Keep at it, but just a heads up, this has been done.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Keep at it, but just a heads up, this has been done.

Figured, link?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Awkward Davies posted:

Figured, link?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/costumed-characters-love-article-1.1533745

Also, the International Center of Photography is right near by, so tons of kids from there incorporate it into the year long projects in some way usually. It's tough to make new images of Times Square, but I like your direction.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

I give you rest, by Falamh, on 500px.

I took some 10+ year expired Portra 160NC out on Monday and shot it at ASA 100. Fairly nice, albeit there was a bit of a green cast (easily removed on scanning/in photoshop). First time I'd processed C-41 in uh... a few years. I forgot how bloody easy it was. Based on what I've seen of the new Portra I might just stop using slide film so regularly for a while once I've finished off my concentrates.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

The Clit Avoider posted:

Fairly nice, albeit there was a bit of a green cast (easily removed on scanning/in photoshop). F

It's still there, yo, heavily.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

365 Nog Hogger posted:

It's still there, yo, heavily.

Ah crap, forgot to disable f.lux there. The foreground is pretty accurate as to the actual conditions, but yes, the background is showing it badly in places.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Greg by Quantum Of Phallus

Took a shot of my friend Greg with some T-Max 400 on my Bronica SQ-A

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Chopsticks Express by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:black101:

I can already tell this is going to be one hell of a learning experience. I love that everything is mechanical, and that things actually make sense once you think about it. I was having a lot of trouble getting the shutter to fire with the back attached -- it was working fine until I attached the back -- and then I remembered reading that it won't fire with the dark slide in. Later, I couldn't get the back away from the camera -- which is when I realised it needed the dark slide in for the back to be removed. Brilliant! I don't know if this is just expected behaviour with SLRs, but I appreciate the idiot-proofing.

I was a bit of an idiot when ordering, though, and neglected to get lens or body caps. Given I only have the one lens, would I be able to get away with an off-brand 60mm lens cap?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Baron Dirigible posted:

:black101:

I can already tell this is going to be one hell of a learning experience. I love that everything is mechanical, and that things actually make sense once you think about it. I was having a lot of trouble getting the shutter to fire with the back attached -- it was working fine until I attached the back -- and then I remembered reading that it won't fire with the dark slide in. Later, I couldn't get the back away from the camera -- which is when I realised it needed the dark slide in for the back to be removed. Brilliant! I don't know if this is just expected behaviour with SLRs, but I appreciate the idiot-proofing.

I was a bit of an idiot when ordering, though, and neglected to get lens or body caps. Given I only have the one lens, would I be able to get away with an off-brand 60mm lens cap?

Of course a generic lens cap for whatever the thread is will work fine. Body caps can be bought cheaply on eBay for most systems.

The standard 500cm/80mm package is a great little camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have been rocking a Tamron lens cap on my 80mm for years now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Those are just failsafes to make sure you can't do things that would screw with the normal operation of the camera. It wouldn't make sense to shoot with the darkslide in, so the Hassy doesn't let you do that; similarly, you wouldn't want to take off the back without the darkslide cos that kills the frame. Not all cameras are like that, I think the Mamiya cameras let you shoot with the darkslide in.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

Those are just failsafes to make sure you can't do things that would screw with the normal operation of the camera. It wouldn't make sense to shoot with the darkslide in, so the Hassy doesn't let you do that; similarly, you wouldn't want to take off the back without the darkslide cos that kills the frame. Not all cameras are like that, I think the Mamiya cameras let you shoot with the darkslide in.

It's Big Hasselblad taking away your freedoms.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Make sure you're not a dumbass like me who moves the dark slide out just far enough that the camera will shoot but that it still covers 90% of the frame :gonk:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

alkanphel posted:

My RB goes into lockdown with the dark slide not in the appropriate position for what you are trying to do.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

alkanphel posted:

The RZ system has the same failsafes. I get the red warning light of shame on the first frame every time, telling me I'm trying to shoot with the darkslide in. :doh:

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
So after literally two years of frustration trying to shoot flowers, mushrooms and other ground dwelling things with my Mamiya I discovered that my tripod can do this:

:doh:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
How did you get the plate out that far from the head? Because I'm totally stealing that both for my TLR and RB.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I've got a head like this:

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/460mg-magnesium-camera-head

By rotating the plate through 180 degrees you get plenty of room to get the camera onto the tripod without the column getting in the way. I was worried that the camera would prove too weighty for such an unconventional set up but the head seems heavy duty enough to cope.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ferris Bueller posted:

My RB goes into lockdown with the dark slide not in the appropriate position for what you are trying to do.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The RZ system has the same failsafes. I get the red warning light of shame on the first frame every time, telling me I'm trying to shoot with the darkslide in. :doh:

Hmmm then maybe I was thinking of the M645 or something...can't really remember clearly.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Over the summer I found a Mamiya C330 in a thrift store for like 50 bucks so I bought it and got some film. Then went to a concourse that was happening a few weeks later and took some pictures. Well I just got around to scanning them. Anyway this is my first time messing with cameras that aren't on my phone let alone film and medium format stuff. On a related note is there a basic beginners book to photography that is recommended or newbie thread on here?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Gunbus posted:

Over the summer I found a Mamiya C330 in a thrift store for like 50 bucks so I bought it and got some film. Then went to a concourse that was happening a few weeks later and took some pictures. Well I just got around to scanning them. Anyway this is my first time messing with cameras that aren't on my phone let alone film and medium format stuff. On a related note is there a basic beginners book to photography that is recommended or newbie thread on here?

As far as books, Understanding Exposure is the go-to recommended book to start with for technique. The Photographer's Eye is a good book on composition. Both of these get answered in the General Photography Questions thread a lot I think.

Sorry (not sorry) you're starting on medium format and won't be able to tear yourself back to 35mm film afterwards. :)

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Had a friend come over to help test my new 210mm:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Another silly beginner's question:

I'm planning to take my Hasselblad out and about tomorrow, but it's expected to be above 30 degrees C for most of the day (probably hitting 35). Given all the talk about refrigerating film, and that the film box says to keep it below 24, should I be concerned? I can't imagine a big black metal box is the best place for film to be in those conditions, but is film finicky enough that a day's shooting would do harm?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just keep it in the shade so it doesn't accumulate heat past ambient and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Baron Dirigible posted:

Another silly beginner's question:

I'm planning to take my Hasselblad out and about tomorrow, but it's expected to be above 30 degrees C for most of the day (probably hitting 35). Given all the talk about refrigerating film, and that the film box says to keep it below 24, should I be concerned? I can't imagine a big black metal box is the best place for film to be in those conditions, but is film finicky enough that a day's shooting would do harm?

Film's not even close to that finicky. Refrigeration and that temperature recommendation are for long-term storage, not for a day's (or even week's or month's) shooting. People have been dragging film out into the deserts and jungles of the world for decades. You don't want to cook it more than you have to, but even 40C wouldn't hurt it too much in the short run.

• Locked thread