Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mister Beeg posted:

This strip was originally done by Scott Stantis, an editorial cartoonist who also does "Prickly City" with Eric Allie (he had four strips in syndication).
Would you happen to have any examples of what the strip quality was like in that period?

e: SOME GARFIELD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I saw on Facebook that Morrie Turner has passed away :(

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Moto Punch posted:

Well that ruins my day.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Well crap :(

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Aww man :(

Here's his Wee Pals Facebook page with the announcement.

And here are jpegs of each page (in order) of the booklet I put together and sent him from everybody's greetings and sketches so you can see what we sent. I have the pdf if anybody wants it.

(Just give me some time to set up a new email for messages, because yahoo trashed the one I had attached to plat here and I only just realized it.)

Aww. Morrie :(

Edited to fix extra white space

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 27, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Come on, Gil you can score some dirt cheap toys and video games that way.

Retail

I think I saw that on a list of signs of a potential future serial killer.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I thought Skip was the one who wanted a real dog and Lila was the one who was into robots? How about a trade?

Dustin

That is a really fantastic story to share when people are eating.

On the Fastrack

That's not the proper way to reset. Try looking around the desk for a small button instead.

Safe Havens

It's called independent study Sam and I'm sure you have enough influence by now that you can swing it into some gen ed credit.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
But who's going to make more Wee Pals now? :(

Lio is a mediocre internet joke today.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Moto Punch posted:

drat, that's a real shame. Wee Pals didn't always knock it out of the park, but when it did, it was incredible. It was pretty consistently funny though, at least from what I've seen, which is more than you can say for most strips.

Part of me hopes someone else takes over the strip and does it justice, but I doubt that'll happen. :smith:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well poo poo.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Goddamnit man. This was my good news thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

Edited to fix extra white space

In a Morrie Turner tribute post? :ohdear:

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
Some of his earlier non-wee pals work is featured here : http://museumofuncutfunk.com/2013/12/14/the-morrie-turner-exhibition
Definetly worth a look at his work intended for a more mature audience.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I am surprised at how depressed I am about Morrie Turner. At least we got to say happy birthday to him once. I hope he saw it and it made him feel good.

F Minus

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
What a rubbish way to start the week. Goodbye Morrie. :smith:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
poo poo. I know Mr. Turner was 90, but that news still bums me out.

RIP.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Moto Punch posted:

What a lovely loving way to start the week. :smith:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
That's really drat sad. Morrie was a good guy, and his loss will be felt.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hope he had at least one more corking Wee Pals queued up. Maybe he'll poo poo all over George Zimmerman again.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Going to echo what others have said and hope that Morrie got a real kick out of all the goon tributes. :unsmith:

Scary Gary

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Morrie Turner was a boss, he did what he loved, and loved what he did. He always said what he wanted and hopefully nobody does one of those stupid waiting for you at the pearly gate comics in his honor.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Moto Punch posted:

Aw poo poo. :(

But he lived a long life doing what he loved to the very end. He saw dramatic changes in his society and he took part in changing it. Racism, intolerance and assholery haven't disappeared anywhere, but clearly most people are receptive enough that you can affect their attitudes. May his legacy last through the acts of his readers. :unsmith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

AxeManiac posted:

Morrie Turner was a boss, he did what he loved, and loved what he did. He always said what he wanted and hopefully nobody does one of those stupid waiting for you at the pearly gate comics in his honor.

This would be awesome only if Ralph (that is his name, right?) still got poo poo on, like he asked St. Peter if there is a colored section of Heaven.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Condolences to Mrs. Turner, assuming she's still around of course. Or their kids. :ohdear:

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

AxeManiac posted:

This sounds like it'd be right up Gilchrist's alley, except Morrie never played at the Opry so I think he's exempt.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I'm not one to bitch about Monday mornings sucking, but this one does. RIP Morrie.

Helicity posted:

This sounds like it'd be right up Gilchrist's alley, except Morrie never played at the Opry so I think he's exempt.

Yes, let's hope he never gets the news.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Nope. Not funny.

Heavenly Nostrils

Max wearing a trench coat? "Prescient"?

Kliban

Ok, that was really funny. Thanks Bernard!

9 Chickweed Lane 1/27/2003

Whatever. :suicide:

Zits

Big deal Jeremy, I've done my own washing for years. I got tired of losing jeans when my stuff got mixed up with my kid's.

Kevin & Kell

Dumb. Non-human predators don't cook their food.

Nemi

I love Nemi. :3:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Did mother goose and Grimm just rip off a joke from an old Blondie strip?

Yes, I know that joke has been around as long as housewives.

Edit: is there any email or address to send condolences to Morrie's family? The collected tributes of the thread so far might make a nice token of respect, in case he wasn't able to see them. :smith:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 27, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
drat, cartoonists really do die at their drawing boards, don't they. :cry:

Peanuts (January 30, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 30, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 30-May 1, 1924)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 30-May 1, 1924)

Yeesh, and we were complaining about Wash Funk being unreadable.

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps
And just like that...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Aw man, this thread title is gonna sting from now on. Godspeed, you lovely cat.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Does anyone have any of the strips Morrie Turner did about Trayvon Martin? I want to show my friends what a boss Morrie Turner was.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Aw. I don't think my page ever made it to him :(

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Hahahaha, which one of you edited the Oliver and Ralph sections of the Wee Pals wikipedia page? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wee_Pals

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the loss of Morrie :sigh:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

LvK posted:

Aw. I don't think my page ever made it to him :(

Oh no - did you post it for me to add to the book, or send it separately? I did go through the thread like, five times, to make sure I didn't miss anyone's contribution before compiling and sending it all that first week of December, but if I missed yours, I'm really sorry :(

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Vargo posted:

Does anyone have any of the strips Morrie Turner did about Trayvon Martin? I want to show my friends what a boss Morrie Turner was.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the loss of Morrie :sigh:

"Joy through Strength." :drat:, Tove.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

Comic Strip Megathread: Morrie Turner was a Boss

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Oh man. RIP Morrie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

TofuDiva posted:

Oh no - did you post it for me to add to the book, or send it separately? I did go through the thread like, five times, to make sure I didn't miss anyone's contribution before compiling and sending it all that first week of December, but if I missed yours, I'm really sorry :(

No, it's all on me. I accidentally ruined the lineart then hit a depressive slump and couldn't force myself to draw, so it went out two weeks late or so.

• Locked thread