Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ReindeerF posted:

Rand's whole thing is this smug, head tilted back, mouth twisting around, would-you-please-stop-talking-so-i-can-educate-you affect that would be absolutely disastrous I think, especially among "independent" women. I dunno, maybe I'm misreading him, but leave aside policy and all the poo poo people think matters that doesn't, the guy himself really is not good for the role.

I can't imagine it's only women he'd alienate early on and permanently, given how much his speech at Howard University did to popularize the verb "whitesplain." He's tailor made to appeal to the crumbling GOP base, and pretty much no one else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

The Insect Court posted:

You're vastly overestimating Rand Paul's chances. Most of his buzz comes from the Paulistas, who have no pull whatsoever within the party establishment. He's not quite persona non grata within the GOP like his father was, but a lot of that is because his civil libertarian positions line up temporarily with the GOP's kneejerk rejection of everything Obama. It's almost impossible for someone as far from his party's ideological center on so many issues to win the nomination. And if there's a complete breakdown of the GOP establishment's control of the process, the likeliest beneficiary is some Tea Party friendly demagogue like Ted Cruz.

Man, my jokes are really not working in this thread, that's two in a row that went down in flames.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
If McConnell survives (which is a decent assumption), Rand will also have a nice set of favors tucked in his pocket with the backroom GOP guys. Might not be enough to get him the nod, but it could prevent him from being hostilely frozen out like Pops.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What kind of wrench would Grimes winning throw into the machine, though?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Entire Universe posted:

Not much, Coryn would probably be the GOP senate leader since Stockman went AWOL in their primary.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can't imagine it's only women he'd alienate early on and permanently, given how much his speech at Howard University did to popularize the verb "whitesplain." He's tailor made to appeal to the crumbling GOP base, and pretty much no one else.
"Especially" != "only"

CapitanAmerica
Jan 19, 2014

by Pipski

The Warszawa posted:

So is everyone else who is considered likely to run.

Hillary is a woman.

Woman appeal to minorities a lot more than white men.

And the draw of white women to her more than makes up for any lack of skin color.

Malley draws nobody additional. He draws less across the board of Obamas key Women/Black/Hispanic Trifecta and probably only increases numbers amongst East Coasters and maybe the irish but I seriously doubt it.

He's not a serious candidate.

Also are those Paul numbers among Republicans or General electorate. Because if they are amongst general elecotrate I'll shoot myself.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats a load of bull, people don't not run for president (or get taken seriously) because they aren't black enough or female enough. I'll let you in on a little secret, there aren't any black contenders in the Democratic field this year, or any Hispanics. I'd even say that there aren't any women either aside from Hillary but I'm sure someone will go on about Gillibrand or Warren or whatever.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The Insect Court posted:

You're vastly overestimating Rand Paul's chances. Most of his buzz comes from the Paulistas, who have no pull whatsoever within the party establishment. He's not quite persona non grata within the GOP like his father was, but a lot of that is because his civil libertarian positions line up temporarily with the GOP's kneejerk rejection of everything Obama. It's almost impossible for someone as far from his party's ideological center on so many issues to win the nomination. And if there's a complete breakdown of the GOP establishment's control of the process, the likeliest beneficiary is some Tea Party friendly demagogue like Ted Cruz.

Let's pretend Paul is not running and look at who else has a chance to win the nom. I see the shortlist as:

-Christie (probably out now)
-Bush (no)
-Walker
-Rubio
-Perry if a few people get hit by lightning
-Cruz if everything breaks just right for six months in a row
-that's it

How many of these people have less problems with all three wings than Rand Paul? I count one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What about Ryan?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Not running, can't win anyway

CapitanAmerica
Jan 19, 2014

by Pipski
You forgot Scott Brown.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

How is Santorum not on that list?

E: Honestly I think Santorum has 2016 primary in the bag. He won 2nd place last time and has become even more established and built more of a grassroots network since then. The only thing I can see derailing him is big-money donors who realize he can't possibly win the general and will bankroll who they see as the most electable guy. Looking at that list, I'd venture to hesitantly say "...Perry...?" as the one most electable in the general. Lovable scamp, wanna have a beer with him etc.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 27, 2014

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They are not nominating an overt culture warrior who was so unacceptable to the middle that he lost by 18 points as a sitting Senator in Pennsylvania.

There is a reasonable argument that the package shouldn't matter when every Republican would appoint social conservatives, but Santorum is uniquely toxic.

e: Perry should have a real chance if he's merely competent when not pilled out of his mind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's probably thirty hours of tape of Santorum saying repugnant things.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Which doesn't hurt as much in the republican primary as it does in the general election.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I do believe a Rand Paul vs. Hillary Clinton general would produce the largest gender gap the electorate has ever seen

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Agricola Frigidus posted:

Which doesn't hurt as much in the republican primary as it does in the general election.

The problem he will face, and why he will lose, is that the people who care about electability in the general are the same people who are able to organize themselves around a single acceptable candidate like Mitt Romney.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

The Entire Universe posted:

The GOP establishment would still note with pleasure that Rand didn't go AWOL on their man. He's done his bit by not supporting Bevin. If Grimes wins all that means for them is longer odds of taking back the Senate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks Scott Walker will find success if he runs? He won the far right's support by busting the unions in Wisconsin and he's already sucked enough Koch dick to finance himself through a general.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Look, GOP primary results aren't going to depend on what the bleughs think.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Scott Walker will find success if he runs? He won the far right's support by busting the unions in Wisconsin and he's already sucked enough Koch dick to finance himself through a general.

He's definitely on the establishment shortlist if Christie's truly damaged beyond repair, which I don't think is the case.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

comes along bort posted:

He's definitely on the establishment shortlist if Christie's truly damaged beyond repair, which I don't think is the case.

I'm curious--why don't you think this? If it was just the bridge thing Christie might have survived--but the floodgates that opened afterwards have basically turned him into a combination of Al Capone and Richard Nixon. That guy doesn't get elected to the Presidency.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
A healthy amount of pessimism I guess.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I will have to agree with Arkane and Adar that Christie's downfall (could a thread title be "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" or something) easily puts Rand Paul into something of an early front runner status. I just feel he's played things a lot smarter than Cruz even though they are competing to occupy parts of GOP-space with considerable overlap. He's kind of remained in a zone where he could more plausibly assume the mantle of national candidate than Cruz could.

If Scott Walker could pick up some political mojo this year he will replace Christie as the establishment favorite, though.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 27, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Oh, I have a feeling that Rand Paul's tendency to whitesplain things will get him in more trouble.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Didn't Rand just say something stops about how women are better off than men?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Paul's got a nonzero amount of fundraising and organizational capacity, which pretty much makes him the contender out of the non-Christie candidates by default.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

There is a reasonable argument that the package shouldn't matter when every Republican would appoint social conservatives, but Santorum is uniquely toxic.

This is what's always scary to me about Republicans - they're all about equally crazy in policy preference, but only a fraction of them are seen as crazy publicly. The guy who manages not to come out as rape-denying or whatever is probably gonna vote for 99% of the same laws as the wacko, but the wacko draws all the fire.

mdemone posted:

Look, GOP primary results aren't going to depend on what the bleughs think.

No, but they are dependent on what the billionaire sugar daddies think, and those guys aren't going to go for Santorum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today in Let's Be Outraged About Hillary, she speaks at the National Auto Dealer's Association and confesses that she hasn't driven a car since 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF5VFaCti44

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Stormagetiton posted:

No, but they are dependent on what the billionaire sugar daddies think, and those guys aren't going to go for Santorum.

I thought he had his own one of those.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

Today in Let's Be Outraged About Hillary, she speaks at the National Auto Dealer's Association and confesses that she hasn't driven a car since 1996.

More accurately she she says she hasn't been allowed to (by the secret service).

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

People over-estimate the amount of support that Libertarians have within the Republican Party. Ron Paul was never able to get better than 3rd place in any primary despite his funding and ground support. No doubt his network will switch gears to support Rand Paul but as it stands there are still more than enough hardcore social conservatives to elect a culture warrior.

Also the precedent which all of you are aware of: McCain got 2nd place then was nominated. Romney got 2nd place then was nominated. Reagan got 2nd place then was nominated. Santorum is going to moderate his more extreme views publicly. Just going by the available evidence I'm gonna have to say that he'll win the nod and lose the general against Hillary and we'll have another president Clinton for 8 years.

Rand Paul might take 2nd or 3rd place and mount a solid challenge in 2020.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Zwabu posted:

I will have to agree with Arkane and Adar that Christie's downfall (could a thread title be "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" or something) easily puts Rand Paul into something of an early front runner status.

I think this is true, and I also think he has a snowball chance in hell of getting elected. Which makes me feel good.

I mean, as an Spaniard I'd by happy by you just keeping outright crazy people / sociopaths / warmongers out of the White House. And I look into the GOP and I see (besides Paul)... Jeb Bush?

EDIT: I wouldn't mind Hillary as the President of the World.

mastervj fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 27, 2014

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Sergg posted:

People over-estimate the amount of support that Libertarians have within the Republican Party. Ron Paul was never able to get better than 3rd place in any primary despite his funding and ground support. No doubt his network will switch gears to support Rand Paul but as it stands there are still more than enough hardcore social conservatives to elect a culture warrior.

Also the precedent which all of you are aware of: McCain got 2nd place then was nominated. Romney got 2nd place then was nominated. Reagan got 2nd place then was nominated. Santorum is going to moderate his more extreme views publicly. Just going by the available evidence I'm gonna have to say that he'll win the nod and lose the general against Hillary and we'll have another president Clinton for 8 years.

The second place rule works a lot more consistently in years when the Republicans aren't blown out of the water. Pat Buchanan was the second place guy twice in a row and it didn't help him in either 1996 or 2000.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

DynamicSloth posted:

The second place rule works a lot more consistently in years when the Republicans aren't blown out of the water. Pat Buchanan was the second place guy twice in a row and it didn't help him in either 1996 or 2000.

That and it isn't a very meaningful sample size in general.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

More accurately she she says she hasn't been allowed to (by the secret service).

Perhaps she can do burnouts with Biden at the Naval Observatory.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

That didn't take long.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm sure Barack Obama probably hasn't done any driving since declaring his candidacy in 2007, and he probably won't for a few years after 2016 either. Such is the way of Secret Service protection.

I'm equally sure, however, that this fact won't stop the right from attempting to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Richard Nixon. That guy doesn't get elected to the Presidency.

I'm really not sure what to say here.

• Locked thread