Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

The tricky thing with succession laws is that the AI must be able to handle it, so you don't end up with everyone wanting to marry patrilinealy in a matrilineal nation by default, and it only gets crazier with some of the weirder succession rules (the Russian one?).

As for Rajas of India, just throwing an eye on a map that includes India: Doesn't this mean we'll get pretty much all of Ethiopia, the better part of Siberia, all of Kazakhstan, Tibet and maybe even western Mongolia? Unless those are just greyed out with WASTELAND until maybe later expansions flesh those areas out :iiam:

Basically, how this will affect the Mongols is going to be interesting.

We already have all of Ethiopia and northern Somalia on the map, but yeah, we're getting a whole lot more Steppe to deal with, along with Tibet.

The map of India looks very neat. I wonder if they'll add in a Jungle terrain type? I'm looking forward to boats in the Indian Ocean/Red Sea/Gulf of Persiarabia most of all, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Spiderfist Island posted:

We already have all of Ethiopia and northern Somalia on the map, but yeah, we're getting a whole lot more Steppe to deal with, along with Tibet.

They'll have to move the southern border of the map down slightly too I think, unless they're ok with Sri Lanka hanging halfway off the map.

...Actually, from eyeballing it on google maps, I'm pretty sure the current southern extent would chop off the tip of the mainland, and leave Sri Lanka off entirely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yes, Western Europe exactly. And even then it depends on your definiion: if it's the UN regional scheme, then India is handily bigger than Western Europe.

I think your hopes will most likely be crushed. Look at Scandinavia in CK2. It is just huge. The same with Iceland. If you compare Scandinavia with some of the Mediterranean regions you will see that they are grossly distorted. Since India is about as far south as the currently southernmost regions in CK2 it will likely be much smaller in relation to the more northern European regions than it should be.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

PootieTang posted:

I find it funny how some traits are visible so early. I mean this three year old has more martial ability than some nobles, and is 'strong' for a three year old which I have no idea what that's supposed to entail.

I know people love it when their genius newborn is more skilled than half the kingdom but I love the complicated breakdown it gives when you check the newborn's opinion of you. -10 Elective Succession, +5 same dynasty, +6 prestige, -20 title claimant, -10 too many held duchies, etc, etc.

loving nobles, man. Even their infants size you up from all possible angles. Bet the ankle biter's been scheming my demise right from the womb, he already got a courtier to join his plot and all he could do was kick in morse code. His first words will be said to my spymaster and it's going to be no more waiting, we move at dawn.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
CK2 kids learn to read like - a is for apple, c is for cat, u is for usurp the kingdom and see the royal family driven to ground.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Its always nice when a borderland vassal of a neighbor declares war on me, I get to occupy all their provinces, then call back my dudes and declare war on their liege for instant 100% warscore. How my best Ethiopian game started.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Man, brothers never get along under gavelkind succession. Even a kind, content church-educated kid will backstab you within two years of your father's death. I guess it's realistic, but it's also funny. :v:"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

nutranurse posted:

You know, I thought we had exhausted all the incest-related topics/screenshots that we could muster, but nope!

I dunno if it should count though (Of course it can.); it uses a mod.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Am I crazy, or do people living in merchant republics have stupidly low fertility?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

Am I crazy, or do people living in merchant republics have stupidly low fertility?

If you mean your unlanded male relatives, then it probably is because at a certain size of your court (40? 60?) your unlanded courtiers cannot get any more children, to stop character bloat.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

yes and no, as a Republic you'll want to have a lot of unlanded sons (to get more trade posts), but having more people at your court reduces everyone at said court's fertility.

e: woops, you wouldn't want daughters since they can't marry matrilineally.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 27, 2014

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Is there some sort of basic guide to Republics? I've tried to start one a few times but I get kind of lost. I'm not sure where I should be putting trade posts or if it matters to try and take land or what.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Holy war is really the best thing in the game, especially when the HRE has locked you out of an Italian Empire run.

How difficult is it to mod the game to give me a unique empire (and maybe have EU4 accept the import)?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Veryslightlymad posted:

I dunno if it should count though (Of course it can.); it uses a mod.

What mod lets mothers have affairs with their 3-year-olds, more importantly why. :psyduck:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

monster on a stick posted:

Holy war is really the best thing in the game, especially when the HRE has locked you out of an Italian Empire run.

How difficult is it to mod the game to give me a unique empire (and maybe have EU4 accept the import)?

The HRE ate almost all of the Byzantines.

Hilarious.

Edit: Sort of an EU4 question, but if someone installed the shattered world mod (is that still updated?) so everyone was counts, and then imported to EU4, would you get a billion one province countries?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I just had my first battle with a longbow retinue. This is my first game as welsh (and I've never been English), and I set my 450 man longbow retinue into battle against a 550 man landing force from a norse raider.

Wiped the entire raiding party out and took THREE casualties.

Holy gently caress. :psyduck: I think I like these guys better than cataphracts.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I just had my first battle with a longbow retinue. This is my first game as welsh (and I've never been English), and I set my 450 man longbow retinue into battle against a 550 man landing force from a norse raider.

Holy gently caress. :psyduck: I think I like these guys better than cataphracts.

Archers are devastatingly powerful in Skirmish, but get utterly crushed if the enemy manages to catch an unguarded (read: less than 40% of something else than archers) flank, triggering instant melee

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Excelzior posted:

Archers are devastatingly powerful in Skirmish, but get utterly crushed if the enemy manages to catch an unguarded (read: less than 40% of something else than archers) flank, triggering instant melee

I think it is 20%, will check as soon as able. And charge on undefended flank happens only after third day. And yes, by that time most of your 1 point retinue archers will murder everything else. I am a stalwart proponent of longbow retinues, and by extension, skirmish. :colbert:

Reveilled posted:

Yes, they are unbelievably strong. Be sure to put a welsh/english commander. And in case you didn't already know this, culture specific buildings give bonuses to that unit holding-wide. That means that your 60% increased damage (for 4th level welsh longbow range) doesn't only effect 360 archers from that building, but also from other buildings in that holding - militia grounds and castle upgrades. That means that you can potentionaly have more than a 1000 archer levies per castle holding, all having 60% increase in damage, massacring everything in sight. For example, byzantine cultural building only have synergy with high level stables, the one that gives heavy cavalry. All several dozen of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah they are pretty insane. It also makes invading England hell if you don't do it early enough. And it's not a problem in Vanilla but one thing I like about VIET is it lets you make any retinue. So you can totally just go full Longbows, though its not as insane without an English/Welsh commander.

I really just wish Knights were a bit better for the cost, despite having some success with 2 Knights:1 Skirmish:1 Defense. (I don't know if this is optimal I just thought it'd be good. And it worked...but my empire and thus retinue cap was HUGE)

Also I think Longbows are just flat out better than Cataphracts because you get sooooo much more of them.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Eimi posted:

Also I think Longbows are just flat out better than Cataphracts because you get sooooo much more of them.

And they are a cheap peace keeping force too. No one can muster enough troops to even send a faction ultimatum.

And I just checked, charge on undefended flank is when you have 60% archers. But still, three days are more than enough.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

quote:

(Warriors of Perun are quite amazing, though, when they are not in my service, they seem to like to wander the map doing their own thing. They have a Barony in one my counties, but I am not sure how to vassalize them?)

rvm posted:

Give them one of your de jure duchies or any kingdom.

I gave them Bohemia. And now it says "Warriors of Perun are currently in fief to the Kingdom of Bohemia" and Hire is grayed out :-S

What exactly is a "de jure duchy"? A titular duchy?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
A de jure duchy is one which is a de jure part of your top-level kingdom/empire. For example, Essex under England, Baghdad under Mesopotamia, Valois under France, etc.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

HenessyHero posted:

I know people love it when their genius newborn is more skilled than half the kingdom but I love the complicated breakdown it gives when you check the newborn's opinion of you. -10 Elective Succession, +5 same dynasty, +6 prestige, -20 title claimant, -10 too many held duchies, etc, etc.

loving nobles, man. Even their infants size you up from all possible angles. Bet the ankle biter's been scheming my demise right from the womb, he already got a courtier to join his plot and all he could do was kick in morse code. His first words will be said to my spymaster and it's going to be no more waiting, we move at dawn.

I can only imagine the child's eyes glowing as he says this. Maybe his face shifts a bit, becomes more adult. Given you can hop into characters at any point, it's fitting.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Bloodly posted:

I can only imagine the child's eyes glowing as he says this. Maybe his face shifts a bit, becomes more adult. Given you can hop into characters at any point, it's fitting.

That is a really scary image to imagine! The child is held aloft and opens his eyes to the world, moments later his expression shifts to that of an adult with nothing on his mind but plans of conquest and naked ambition. Like something out of a horror movie. Why did you make me think that? :gonk:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DrSunshine posted:

That is a really scary image to imagine! The child is held aloft and opens his eyes to the world, moments later his expression shifts to that of an adult with nothing on his mind but plans of conquest and naked ambition. Like something out of a horror movie. Why did you make me think that? :gonk:

Horror? Maybe. Also 'high fantasy/high magic': "Ah, the transfer was a success, I see. What needs doing?" "That one noble of Kidamere. Deal with him."

Of course there's comedy possible too."You know what's worse than puberty or being a baby? Puberty or being a baby MULTIPLE TIMES." "Multiple lifetimes, and I still love apricots." Thief Of Time played with this, where the leader of the History Monks is a baby with full adult intelligence.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2014

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Before I cheat to get past what looks like a bug, is there ever a reason why I couldn't make a county claim for a barony held by a foreign ruler? I've had this pop up several times where holy warred duchies wind up having infidel mayors/barons from another empire but this is the first time I can't war for it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

The HRE ate almost all of the Byzantines.

Hilarious.

The fate of the Byzantines has been interesting. They went Catholic early on, then got conquered by the Fatamids. Then the Pope declared a crusade, and the Knights Templar took it over. Then it fell back, and then the HRE took it over. They've been a complete powerhouse.

So, I did find a way to make my character an Empress. I just had to conquer something that let me create an empire.

Hey, it worked :v: Now I get to see how electoral empires work, unless this was a really bad idea and I should load the save I made before I tried this.

Anyway, a few pages ago someone mentioned keeping a child captured in battle and educating them. I tried doing that today, handing them off to a pretty good teacher just to see what would happen. Checked back in a few years and...

:staredog: Keep in mind her diplomacy score was lowered by 10 from being in the dungeon. Her final attributes were 19D/11M/10S/12I/13L. Bright kid.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mailer posted:

Before I cheat to get past what looks like a bug, is there ever a reason why I couldn't make a county claim for a barony held by a foreign ruler? I've had this pop up several times where holy warred duchies wind up having infidel mayors/barons from another empire but this is the first time I can't war for it.

Are you sure you are trying to declare war on the highest level ruler? So if this baron is the vassal of some foreign duke, do you try to declare war on the duke? If he is not independent this won't work, you have to declare war on his king/emperor.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Torrannor posted:

Are you sure you are trying to declare war on the highest level ruler? So if this baron is the vassal of some foreign duke, do you try to declare war on the duke? If he is not independent this won't work, you have to declare war on his king/emperor.

Turns out it just took a few days and the option appeared on the list. The top liege had just had an unfortunate accident, so maybe the game was still assigning vassals or something. :shrug:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Does anybody know the formula for morale damage? I've been able to math out casualties etc. from the rest of the combat formulas, but morale damage is basically the mystery factor.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Quick question - how do I turn messages back on after disabling them? I seem to have gotten rid of the Betrothed Can Marry alert and now all my kids are sitting around in matrimonial limbo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Seoinin posted:

Quick question - how do I turn messages back on after disabling them? I seem to have gotten rid of the Betrothed Can Marry alert and now all my kids are sitting around in matrimonial limbo.

On the right hand side of your screen below the High Priority Messages and Low Priority Messages and above your Demesne is a button called "Open outliner category configuration". At the bottom of the list pops out is the "show disabled alerts" checkbox. Hit that and whatever you have disabled will show up somewhere on the right hand side of your screen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Playing as Germany I totally understand why they rushed to convert the vikings. Raiding is the must infuriating thing ever. I have to leave my retinue behind in every war just to stop my provinces from being burned to the ground. :bang: It isn't so bad when I play France because it's not a monthly thing, but yeah as Germany. gently caress you vikings. gently caress you.

To top it off my idiot relatives I put on the throne of Bulgaria failed to get a proper marriage so it's leaving my dynasty. That's what I get for not micromanaging them for one second and not giving a blood on blood marriage. God drat it.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 27, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

On the right hand side of your screen below the High Priority Messages and Low Priority Messages and above your Demesne is a button called "Open outliner category configuration". At the bottom of the list pops out is the "show disabled alerts" checkbox. Hit that and whatever you have disabled will show up somewhere on the right hand side of your screen.

Thanks.

The fact that I've played this game for in excess of 100 hours and still don't know how to do certain basic things is kind of sad.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tulip posted:

Does anybody know the formula for morale damage? I've been able to math out casualties etc. from the rest of the combat formulas, but morale damage is basically the mystery factor.

I don't know the specifics, but it's based on a sum of the morale of everyone in the flank, and each time a person dies it deals a flat 6 damage to the flank's morale (modified by any applicable morale damage bonuses/penalties from commanders). So deaths will deal a larger percentage of morale damage to smaller flanks because they have a lower maximum morale.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does anyone know how to stop Du Jure drift? A lot of the Kingdom of Ruthenia is drifting into my Kingdom of Lithuania, but I only want two border duchies, not the whole thing. Short of actually creating the Kingdom (resetting all of my progress in the process) is there a way to make the other duchies stop drifting?

Seoinin posted:

Thanks.

The fact that I've played this game for in excess of 100 hours and still don't know how to do certain basic things is kind of sad.

I've put 400+ in and I just learned that from someone else in this thread a month or two ago.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I don't even want to say how many hours I'd been playing before I discovered how to access character relations, or how to select all my boats, or any number of interface things that are stupidly hidden away. Paradox are quite bad at interface design.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mickey McKey posted:

Does anyone know how to stop Du Jure drift? A lot of the Kingdom of Ruthenia is drifting into my Kingdom of Lithuania, but I only want two border duchies, not the whole thing. Short of actually creating the Kingdom (resetting all of my progress in the process) is there a way to make the other duchies stop drifting?

I've put 400+ in and I just learned that from someone else in this thread a month or two ago.

As long as you captured the two border duchies first you can just let them drift into your kingdom and then create Ruthenia, which will slowly reverse the integration for the other duchies. If this is not feasible, then grant independence to a count in each of the duchies who take less time to drift into Lithuania than the border duchies. You can reconquer them a few years or decades later.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

There's a lot of stuff in CK2 I wouldn't call "intuitive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Not ENTIRELY sure but it MIGHT work to grant the duchies to other Lithuanian dukes, then create ruthenia. That's what I've been doing (or making the individual counts vassals of my core dukes) in my current zoroastrian game, but that's empire level where I don't actually own any of the kingdoms I'm trying to leach duchies out of.

• Locked thread