Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I like the cafe racer look but there's a big gap between 'Triumph Thruxton' and 'I hacked the back seat and took off the fenders, $2K markup'

Also this:

BlackMK4 posted:

Nah, definitely not.

I'd ride it with the biggest poo poo eating grin on my face.

... is a bobber, not cafe, and I'm way into (looking at) bobbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh good, I'm not the only one who thinks those engines look like rear end.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEt41bYQBgE

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't get it. The crankcase looks nothing like a Typhoon. :colbert:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the packaging's kinda weird on those. I had to find a picture to figure out where everything goes.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone ever gone through the paperwork to get a title out of thin air?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/4284631159.html

quote:

Like new no dents or scratches, has new Michelins radials. The bike runs like new and has no leaks of any kind! NO SMOKE not start-up or running for hrs! The bike has 16000 miles but shows new and motor has never been into or modded! Also has the factory RM250 inverted forks that only come on the SM model! Looking to sale to a DRZ OWNER! WHY because I don't have the TITLE, I meet the owner in lake Charles and he said he forgot title and would mail it WELL YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY, I Checked the vin# then 5 yrs ago and checked it with a trooper Friday and there's no actions on the vin# so there it is..................I don't want to part it on EBAY and I have been riding it with out title for years (just use other bikes plate) but I am getting too old for the MOTARD type bike. Write me and I will give you the vin if you are interested?

Also, I wish I wanted a sportbike still instead of a sumo because :drat:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/4289491194.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

kloa posted:

Has anyone ever gone through the paperwork to get a title out of thin air?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/4284631159.html

That is very dependent on what state you are in, so I'd try local boards. Calling the dmv can help or can be useless. No matter what it's going to be a headache, but some places it's possible and other places it't drat near impossible. I think in KY you can do it but you have to track down the last person who had the title in their name and have them get a replacement.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

Here it is:

It's beautiful. He told me $750, and if the repair shop says it's crap he'll take it back.

That's a 73, not a 68 but it's in beautiful shape and definitely worth the 750 if it turns over and has compression.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

That's a 73, not a 68 but it's in beautiful shape and definitely worth the 750 if it turns over and has compression.

Oh really?! Man, I was kinda hoping it was a '68. Nothing wrong with having a non-first-year version though! I'm picking it up tomorrow morning, with the following plan:

- Put in new battery
- Empty gas tank, put in fresh and add in line filter if it doesn't have one
- try to start it?

The gas is at LEAST 5 years old.

I'm really debating whether I want to take this on as a project to do myself, or if I want to have a shop do it. I feel like if I mess up it's a bigger deal than with my scooter. I got the shop manual printed out already, but I'm not that confident in my own abilities yet.

I figure it will need new tires, new gas, new battery, brake flush(?), oil change, maybe new spark plugs? New fuel & brake lines? If I take it to a shop I'll pay out the dick but I can assume they took care of everything. My boss also told me that one of the front forks is oily, so it may need new seals too.

It's a lot to think about :ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't bother adding an inline filter. The petcock already has a little mesh screen in it, and if there's still junk getting through that then you really need to just clean the tank. New battery, new gas, and give it a shot. If it doesn't ignite after a couple minutes of trying (do it with the choke in and out, try starting it with the throttle closed and with it half open, etc) pull and check the plugs; if they're wet, it's an electrical issue, while if they're dry, it's a fuel issue (or a fuel and electrical issue).

If it's a fuel issue, probably the carbs and/or lines and/or petcock are clogged. Remove all of those, replace the lines, dip the carbs and petcock or at least make sure there's no goo or tar in the float bowls. If it's electrical, check for spark, then replace the plugs, check the points, and start digging into the coils and condensers, in that order. Hopefully it's not something electrical.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm really debating whether I want to take this on as a project to do myself, or if I want to have a shop do it. I feel like if I mess up it's a bigger deal than with my scooter. I got the shop manual printed out already, but I'm not that confident in my own abilities yet.

I figure it will need new tires, new gas, new battery, brake flush(?), oil change, maybe new spark plugs? New fuel & brake lines? If I take it to a shop I'll pay out the dick but I can assume they took care of everything. My boss also told me that one of the front forks is oily, so it may need new seals too.

It's a lot to think about :ohdear:

Either way once you get it started you'll want to replace the oil, spark plugs, tires, and chain. Fuel lines might be okay if they aren't all dry-rotted but if they've been sitting with gas in them they might be worth getting rid of. The front brake is cable-operated and the rear is rod-operated so there's no fluid or lines to deal with there -- just make sure they're adjusted properly and functional. With only 1000 miles, it's undoubtedly still on the original shoes, so be careful when you replace them as they're full of asbestos. If the forks are oily the seal is leaking, normal for a piece of rubber that's been sitting for 40 years, but it's not a super hard thing to replace as long as you can jack up the front end of the bike. Replace the fork oil at the same time obviously.

Looks like fun! Enjoy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Don't bother adding an inline filter. The petcock already has a little mesh screen in it, and if there's still junk getting through that then you really need to just clean the tank.
That's a lot easier said than done, depending on what's in the tank. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the inline filter. Those screens on the petcocks are often damaged, too.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
1987 Honda NS400R. V3 - 2 stroke. about 72 hp stock.

Would it be wrong of me to buy it and use some of that strawberry scented 2 stroke oil?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Absolutely not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yet another lovely bike the North Americans will never get.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

holy poo poo they actually have scented 2 stroke oil

thats a kickin rad looking bike btw

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
What are thoughts on this as babby's first bike?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/4293981961.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fine, no specific problems, you could certainly spend less and get something lighter and a little more forgiving but if you're going to start on a 600+ that's a decent one to do it on.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, you could do a lot worse. Get a set of frame sliders.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
And feel free to join the rest of us DC area bike goons in the spring.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hey it's my bike. Great starter bike, Lightweight, trouble free, nice gentle power curve. The main drawback is a complete lack of storage space, so get used to riding with a backpack or get some pillion bags.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Complete lack of storage space is pretty much a given on a modern bike. You don't get the lunchbox under the pillion seat any more. There are the weird Hondas with the compartment in the tank, and everything else you're looking at backpacking or adding bags.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I can just fit a disc lock under my seat, it would suck not being able to do so.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you keep an eye on luggage closeouts you can get a decent sized tail bag for about 30 or 40 bucks. I almost always have a 20l nelson rigg bag I got on closeout for 30 bucks on the back. That or a tank bag I just got for my last trip, but it was a bit pricier.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the Ninja has a slot under the seat that just about fits a disc lock, and I guess you could fit a sandwich if you take the tool bag out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Since my bike just has a tubular hole where the starter used to be, I have sometimes thought about installing a piece of metal pipe in its place as a burrito warmer. Weld a flange to one end, thread the other, bolt it into place, screw on a pipe cap. Sits right up between the exhaust headers and the crankcase.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I cannot fathom why you haven't dropped everything to do this. That sounds fantastic. Imagine rolling up to rest stops and pulling a burrito out of the engine like it's no big deal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Prety sure CA never got the Chickencheese thread.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Which is a pity, although the thread kind of lost steam after Doccers blew everyone else out of the water.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Suzuki Dr 800 S Big 1991
I love old beasts like this when they're properly maintained. Though the seller says he's never used it on gravel, then why own a bike like this, they work so well on gravel..

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Z3n posted:

If it's never been registered in CA, they're going to tell you you need some kind of proof of ownership to register the bike - what classifies as that is going to be the real question. Might be worthwhile going through one of those lien sale/bonded title places. You may also be able to do it via the bond process, I don't recall. Post up when you know what it's going to take!

It looks like we're going to be okay for registration. I talked to a lady that the motorcycle shop recommended. She has a 'quik-reg' place that handles all kinds of DMV stuff. My boss is filling out a bill of sale, as well as a statement of facts, saying:

The bike was bought at a charity auction in 1985
Title was lost (not mentioning that it was reg'd in Minnesota)
bike is out of the DMV system
bike has never been driven on California roads

This statement goes to the DMV, who then either ask her (as a licensed agent) to inspect the bike, or send it to the CHP for inspection.

Hopefully it's all that smooth.

Edit: I'll put my future questions in another thread. I don't even know why I started asking here!

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I successfully obtained a title to a car in Texas that was supposedly stolen (the title not the car) . It was a pain but doable. Feel free to PM me for the whole story or email my user name at Gmail.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
This is off a facebook post but if you're interested PM and I'll put you in contact

edit - in Texas
edit 2 - not mine, it just struck me as a pretty drat fair price

For sale 2008 CBR1000rr 7600 miles, clean title.
m4 slip on
ak20s
race plastics
clip ons
case covers
fully safety wired
bazzaz mapping unit
$5000 obo w/ak20s
$4500 obo W/O ak20s
Trades plus Cash (250f, motard, mini motard, mad dog flattracker)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Saw that. If he had street plastics I'd be all over it. I don't think I have the sanity left in me to track down a clean set of stock plastics for it after dealing with CL retards the past few weeks looking for a new bike.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

This looks like a good deal on a Triumph Tiger for 1800: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4301483845.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Supradog posted:

1987 Honda NS400R. V3 - 2 stroke. about 72 hp stock.

Would it be wrong of me to buy it and use some of that strawberry scented 2 stroke oil?

I wish these would stop showing up here. It's not fair to tease your american forum-mates like that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not cheap but:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448573

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I know you guys love these: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23317876#post23317876

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's a really nice 950. I've always wondered how long those 950 engines go...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Please tell me this is a bad idea.

It's so beautiful - 1987 BMW K75S for $3,700

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/4263368104.html

It's even fuel injected - but I assume this would be even worse than a carb setup or did it actually work? I was pretty set on a modern v-strom but this thing is just amazing

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
They're great bikes. But I think you can find one cheaper than $3700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wish these would stop showing up here. It's not fair to tease your american forum-mates like that.

I think this one was over in the US in some very limited numbers?

1992 Honda VFR 400 NC30 V4 with straight cut cam gears.