Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Popy posted:

It was a pretty solid Rumble. I'm sure Jeff is salty because a dirty part-timer won the Royal Rumble.

How can you say these two sentences together. That's the dumbest loving thing and of course they would do that. God wrestling is terrible now and I look forward to what happens in 10 years when all of these old guys are finally actually too old to wrestle and they have to fall back on their new guys who are all poo poo because they don't care about them.

Hakkesshu posted:

One of my favourite moments is Ryan's reaction to that one Intellivision game that was released in 1990.

Totally valid too! The SNES came out in 1990. THE SNES! F-ZERO WAS A RETAIL PRODUCT WHEN THAT CAME OUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wrestling isn't real.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

ovaries posted:

So after the Game Room talk yesterday I've been watching the entire run in one go. It's been equal parts entertaining and enlightening so far, but the most astounding thing I've learned from it is that they were still pumping out 2600 and Intellivision games well into the late '80s, years after the NES was released. By that point everyone knew what a real video game could be and yet these American hardware makers were still hanging onto dear life with their ancient garbage systems. That's crazy!

They're still kind of doing this. They were putting out PS2 versions of PS3 and 360 games well into this decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN3D3iXBPRQ

They even put out FIFA 14 and Pro Evo PS2 discs last year. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ovaries posted:

So after the Game Room talk yesterday I've been watching the entire run in one go. It's been equal parts entertaining and enlightening so far, but the most astounding thing I've learned from it is that they were still pumping out 2600 and Intellivision games well into the late '80s, years after the NES was released. By that point everyone knew what a real video game could be and yet these American hardware makers were still hanging onto dear life with their ancient garbage systems. That's crazy!
1.) The NES had expensive and restrictive licensing contracts required to publish on their platform, wheras the 2600 was open season for anyone who could get cartridges manufactured.

2.) The 2600 was being sold as part of an Atari strategy to have a system in every market to "box in" the NES - the Atari 2600 Jr (a cheaper, redesigned 2600) for the budget market, the Atari 7800 directly competing with the NES, and the Atari XEGS (basically a consolized Atari 8-bit computer) as the high-end solution. Seeing as you probably had to look two of those up on Wikipedia, you can take a reasonable stab as to how well that worked.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Fallom posted:

Wrestling isn't real.

Ban this piece of poo poo.

(I do not care for wrestling)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fallom posted:

Wrestling isn't real.
The resulting concussions sure are!

...:ohdear:

Anyway, apparently Microsoft has bought the Gears of War series from Epic and assigned Black Tusk (aka The New MS Studio That Hasn't Released Anything Yet) to it. Interesting times...

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I'm pretty stoked to fully realize how lame wrestling is on day one of my six month commitment to the WWE Network.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Randallteal posted:

They're still kind of doing this. They were putting out PS2 versions of PS3 and 360 games well into this decade.

YN3D3iXBPRQ

They even put out FIFA 14 and Pro Evo PS2 discs last year. :v:

It kind of makes sense, since approximately everyone has a PS2. I wonder what kind of statistics the decision to publish on the PS2 is based on, at some point you just stop buying games for it because the drat thing stops reading discs or chokes to death from dust.

I'm just amazed that the worst part of that wrestling game is the sound effects. The graphics look alright for a PS2 game. That video's an emulation though, apparently.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 27, 2014

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

The Kins posted:

Anyway, apparently Microsoft has bought the Gears of War series from Epic and assigned Black Tusk (aka The New MS Studio That Hasn't Released Anything Yet) to it. Interesting times...

I was worried for a second there Phil Spencer might announce that Microsoft had money hatted another potentially good IP. Thank gently caress they think people still care about Gears.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Rumble was a pretty great Rumble.

Daniel vs Bray was goddamn amazing and justified my purchase. It got Bray way the gently caress over as a legitimate heel.

Brock vs Big Show was amusing if only because of Paul Heyman human chair dispenser.

Orton vs Cena, had a boring start, but once they just started hamming it up for the fans it was hilarious. The Fans were chanting for Chris Jericho so Cena decided to start the loving walls of Jericho on Orton.

The Rumble was great, besides the obvious CM Punk Kane screw job, and obviously Batista winning. But pretty much the only purpose of that rumble was to break up the Shield and push the everliving poo poo out of Roman Reigns, but still have Batista as the part timer as Title contender.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fallom posted:

Wrestling isn't real.

VGCW is real. All hail the Hardcore Champion, Jeff Gerstmann!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also Orton loving posing while the crowd was chanting that they want Divas was goddamn amazing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Equilibrium posted:

I was worried for a second there Phil Spencer might announce that Microsoft had money hatted another potentially good IP. Thank gently caress they think people still care about Gears.

The Bond/Bourne-like thing they teased at E3 was infinitely more interesting to me than the prospect of a Gears sequel. Despite clearly presenting it as a game in production now they're saying it was never anything more than a concept. Whatever, at least it means for the time being the xbox won't have anything I care about too strongly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What are the big name Microsoft exclusives at this point, anyway? Gears, Halo, Forza? Dead Rising 3 is kinda one but there's precedent for that series on other platforms.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

What are the big name Microsoft exclusives at this point, anyway? Gears, Halo, Forza? Dead Rising 3 is kinda one but there's precedent for that series on other platforms.

I think Blinx the time cat is due for a reboot.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ryse
Doritos Crash Course
Get Fit with Mel B

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Time for a new Kinect powered Fusion Frenzy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Get Fit with Mel B

Uh, sorry, but there's a Move version of that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Titanfall unless you mean stuff developed by Microsoft.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
New Best Of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJhhOOmmVE

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Overbite posted:

I grew up close to Funspot so I had my fill of arcades. Even Funspot is now 80% crappy redemption machines and gimmick machines. The top floor is the classic museum but even that has lots of clunkers.

They also got rid of their Street Fighter and Darkstalkers machines :( Kept Primal Rage for some reason.

Funspot rotates a lot of their games. Not sure how often but I've heard you could go there twice and see completely different games.

Funspot was always too far of a drive for us, but we also have Funworld in Nashua that used to be great but now is a depressing relic with an overgrown unused gokart track. Rumor has it the guy there sets fire to the building annually to collect insurance and stay open. Wouldn't know personally since its been at least 15 years since I was in there last.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uPen posted:

Titanfall unless you mean stuff developed by Microsoft.

Yeah I do. Titanfall is definitely the system seller, though.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Yodzilla posted:

Time for a new Kinect powered Fusion Frenzy.

I'd purchase an XBO for this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drat, I forgot about that stupid Cry of Fear game. That has to be one of the funniest QLs of last year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

drat, I forgot about that stupid Cry of Fear game. That has to be one of the funniest QLs of last year.

I still can't stand Patrick's shrieks.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Vinny and Patrick Quicklooks were pretty good though.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Okay, but what about Lowtax's?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Holy Cheese posted:

Vinny and Patrick Quicklooks were pretty good though.

It's mostly just that one thing that's annoying.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I love how the "jump scares" in that game are just the developer (or someone) yelling really loud into their webcam mic.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

Quick Spelunky question: Is it possible for Patrick to save the shotgun when he kills himself to trigger the big head door?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Just want to say that I also can not wait for the next PowerBombCast after tonight. Because holy poo poo. I've never seen a crowd turn on an entire event so quickly before.

What happened?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Mayor Defacto posted:

Quick Spelunky question: Is it possible for Patrick to save the shotgun when he kills himself to trigger the big head door?

I've heard you can glitch it through the tiki but generally no.

asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010

Mayor Defacto posted:

It's possible but not worth the effort for a shotgun. If he destroyed two Kali alters, he would have a ball and chain that, angled correctly, could destroy the hitboxes on tiles of the Moai Head, allowing him to escape it after he kills himself and gets the Hedjet.

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Mayor Defacto posted:

Nope! Once you trigger the door you're in there with your little cap and can't do poo poo to get out.

At least as far as I know, I'm no Spelunky-mancer.

EDIT: Welp, I'm a failure at the game.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If you have a coop partner or a helping hand you can give them the shotgun and they'll bring it to the next level.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Little late to Arcadechat, but the summer camp I stayed at as a kid had a cabin they used as an arcade. They had TMNT, Arkanoid, Bucky O'Hare, Klax, Qbert, and Time Crisis machines, as well as foosball and air hockey tables, all free, you just had to earn your way in there by not being a little shithead during everyday activities, which was easy enough to do. It ruled.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
My home town had an arcade with all three of the first Metal Slugs.

Metal Slug ruled so hard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If Game Center CX has taught me anything, it's that literally every arcade has had a Metal Slug cabinet at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been downloading some videos today in the "high quality" setting, but I am noticing a lot of them are 640 x 360, but then randomly some videos (even in the series) will be 1280 x 720. Am I accidentally downloading the "HD" versions by mistake?

• Locked thread