Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

McNally posted:

I'm watching Season 3 episode Stirred and Bartlet is helping Charlie with his taxes and there's a line that strikes me.

Bartlet mentions that Charlie makes $35,000 a year and they frequently remark about how little Charlie makes.

Here we are, eleven years later. I live pretty near to DC, near enough that I'd imagine cost of living costs aren't all that different. If I don't take any unpaid days off, I make $27,000 a year.

Is this a reflection of how little I make or were the West Wing writers basing Charlie's pay on how much it costs to live cheaply in LA or what?

I think the context implied that it was $35k before taxes, so he probably took home something around $25k. He probably made relatively little compared to everyone else who works around the president (with all of their education and years of experience), but for someone with no college degree, no technical training, and basically no experience it seems about right. I suppose it could be on the low side considering the hours though.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Charlie was on a salary and probably worked like 18 hours a day though. IIRC CJ was used to making over $500,000 a year before working at the White House.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

azflyboy posted:

Seasons 5-7 aren't quite as good as the first four seasons, but they're still well worth watching.

I didn't notice any drop in quality on my first watch.

Second...ehh, some weird stuff but mostly factual stuff that irks me. I guess West Wing universe Turkey is a theocracy where they execute women for having consensual relations with their fellow employees instead of a secular nationalist republic where until recently you couldn't even wear a headscarf to school. I mean, had none of the writers ever even been to Turkey?

Though Leo's character switch from a person who basically threatened the President of the United States with a military coup if he was going to use the American military as a revenge of instrument to the biggest warhawk who ever warhawked was kind of weird. Or Will's change from a guy idealistic enough to get a dead man elected to a slimy political opportunist who attaches himself to a tool like Russell.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I think the context implied that it was $35k before taxes, so he probably took home something around $25k. He probably made relatively little compared to everyone else who works around the president (with all of their education and years of experience), but for someone with no college degree, no technical training, and basically no experience it seems about right. I suppose it could be on the low side considering the hours though.

He also is supporting his sister who is in high school on the one salary.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Asiina posted:

He also is supporting his sister who is in high school on the one salary.

He can sell his carving knife.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Or his DVD player with that wimp rear end Bond movie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

withak posted:

That seems like an unreasonable number given the level of his access to the president. The security clearance alone required for that job should ensure him a $40k salary minimum to discourage any chance of bribery. I don't know if the salary for the President's personal aide has ever been made public but I really doubt its at the near to the low end of the poverty level for a single employee.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

That seems like an unreasonable number given the level of his access to the president. The security clearance alone required for that job should ensure him a $40k salary minimum to discourage any chance of bribery. I don't know if the salary for the President's personal aide has ever been made public but I really doubt its at the near to the low end of the poverty level for a single employee.

And you would be right. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/white-house-salaries-listed/?_r=0

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sure, but Charlie desperately needed a job thanks to his mother's death, and didn't have a college degree (Reggie Love graduated from Duke before working for Obama as a senator). The kid had no leverage to negotiate a better salary, and I guess Bartlett or Leo or Josh or whoever took advantage of that, saved the taxpayers some money. Third Way Democracy in action.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Plus he was applying to be a page or some low level poo poo like that. But thanks to Debbie Fiderer, he got to work 18 hour days and get shot at!

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Sorkin seems obsessed with Belgium, I wish I had made a note of each time it was mentioned through season 4.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
It just seems to me that $35,000 is way too high to be gofer pay in the government, especially in 2002. When I joined the Army in 2006, my base pay was about $18,000. I've been applying to all kinds of government jobs lately. $35,000 is what a GS-5 makes now.

My guess is that the writers didn't do their homework and just came up with a number that seems low to people who have to pay rent in LA.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

McNally posted:

It just seems to me that $35,000 is way too high to be gofer pay in the government, especially in 2002. When I joined the Army in 2006, my base pay was about $18,000. I've been applying to all kinds of government jobs lately. $35,000 is what a GS-5 makes now.

My guess is that the writers didn't do their homework and just came up with a number that seems low to people who have to pay rent in LA.

Charlie made an appropriate wage for an entry level position that year.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TheBigBad posted:

Charlie made an appropriate wage for an entry level position that year.

Not in the US Government. In 2002, a GS-9 Step 1 made $34,451. To be a GS-9 with no prior relevant experience you'd need to have a Master's Degree.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is possible that the writers took some poetic license.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

withak posted:

It is possible that the writers took some poetic license.

Yeah, and Indonesia does have a national language, Aaron. What, you think we have 583 different versions of each government form? You underestimate our laziness unity!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

McNally posted:

Not in the US Government. In 2002, a GS-9 Step 1 made $34,451. To be a GS-9 with no prior relevant experience you'd need to have a Master's Degree.

Blake Gottesman, Bush's body man from 2002 to 2006, made 54,500 dollars a year in that position. He was a 22 year old college dropout when he got the job.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

JohnSherman posted:

Blake Gottesman, Bush's body man from 2002 to 2006, made 54,500 dollars a year in that position. He was a 22 year old college dropout when he got the job.

See what some college will do for you, vs just a high school diploma.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

JohnSherman posted:

Just looked him up, he was admitted to Harvard Business School for an MBA without a bachelors degree :psyduck: Charlie shouldn't have wasted all his free nights getting a degree.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

JohnSherman posted:

YGBSM.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Sorry you didn't get Secretary of State, Nancy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

JohnSherman posted:

Bush is a bad example when it comes to hiring practices. See also: the head of FEMA

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I'd forgotten how sweet that scene with Danny is in Season Seven. "If I'm about to jump off the cliff, and you're about to get pushed off the cliff, why don't we hold hands on the way down?" :unsmith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The White House is doing a Big Block of Cheese Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJGDieJ5Tc

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That is amazing.

And makes me miss John Spencer :(

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Just in case you had a hankering for the original Big Block of Cheese Day Speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9HZq53rqU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Did they ever specify where Josh and Donna fly off to in "Transitions"?
While watching "Lies, drat Lies and Statistics" (s1.e21) I caught the following bit Donna to Josh: "Micronesia is a collection of islands 2,000 miles southwest of Hawaii, where you've never taken me before...It's one of those things a boss does for someone who works for them" (or something to that general effect). I'm probably overthinking things, but that would be a neat little callback if the flight was headed to Hawaii.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I doubt the writers even remembered that throwaway joke by the end of the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh belonged with Amy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Josh belonged with Joey Lucas.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Josh belonged with Mandy.

Just kidding. Donna rules!

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Hansen85 posted:

Josh belonged with Mandy.

Who?

Just kidding. Mandyville.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
All this recent talk has me realizing that I honestly can't pick a favorite character (or pair). They are all my favorites. :3:

(Except maybe Will, and only because I miss Sam)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

WarLocke posted:

All this recent talk has me realizing that I honestly can't pick a favorite character (or pair). They are all my favorites. :3:

Mandy was kind of annoying.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

WarLocke posted:

(Except maybe Will, and only because I miss Sam)

Me too. But pair-wise, CJ/Danny is hard to beat because Danny.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.

njbeachbum posted:

Just in case you had a hankering for the original Big Block of Cheese Day Speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9HZq53rqU

Hahah that was awesome! Code Gouda:)

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

My advice for people watching the series is to watch the first four series, then just read about the endings to any plotlines that are left hanging. For me the drop-off in quality in seasons 5-7 is just too severe. I get the impression the new writers were just trying to imitate the writing style from the first four seasons, but don't understand some of the important concepts of the show.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

My advice is to ignore everyone who parrots watching only the first four seasons. The whole series has wonderful work throughout. There is nuance in the performances in every single episode, the art direction is handled by the same people. It remains relevant and it becomes a new show. The only time it suffers is when John Spencer dies and you can tell if you know what you're looking for that the entire original cast just has the wind knocked out of em. There's more to this show than the writing. Just resign yourself that the show turns into something different from its premise by the end.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

My advice is to ignore everyone who parrots watching only the first four seasons. The whole series has wonderful work throughout. There is nuance in the performances in every single episode, the art direction is handled by the same people. It remains relevant and it becomes a new show. The only time it suffers is when John Spencer dies and you can tell if you know what you're looking for that the entire original cast just has the wind knocked out of em. There's more to this show than the writing. Just resign yourself that the show turns into something different from its premise by the end.

Yeah, the first time I watched The West Wing, I didn't make it far past season 4... but I just rewatched it all and finally finished it recently, and I have to say I actually really ended up liking the later seasons. You just need to be prepared for significant shifts in the focus of the story and the writing style/voice.

I think one of my issues the first time that I watched it was that I really didn't get into the idea of Matt Santos as a potential President... this time, though, I appreciated the fact that while I did like Vinick a lot more at the start of the arc, they managed to slowly sell me on Santos before the end... which works if you stick with it, since it matches the arc of his campaign. Once you accept that in the later seasons, the show is more about this new campaign instead of the Bartlet administration, the story is quite interesting to watch. And in the end, I feel like they did also wrap up the plot/emotional threads for the Bartlet administration very well in the final season.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Arnold Vinick is one of my favorite characters and Aaron Sorkin had nothing to do with him. Alan Alda also won an Emmy for it.

• Locked thread