Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

rip istomp you changed the world
Well, they're $40 with all but one pedal model free, so it's still a good deal while the app still runs.

Kaboobi posted:

New wacky guitar day yaaaaaay!

You. Mother. Fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ericadia posted:

I've played some guitars where the tone knob was more placebo than anything else, so maybe that's his experience? That being said, most of my guitars have pretty effective tone knobs so :shrug:

Nope I've used NOS Mepco pots with Vitamin Q caps in 50s wiring for that extra mojo. Still useless.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
picks are useless too because i don't use them. I can't parse the word useless in any sense other than the most literal.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

juche mane posted:

picks are useless too because i don't use them. I can't parse the word useless in any sense other than the most literal.

Hey there Lindsey Buckingham. Really loved Holiday Road.

Speaking of literal I do appreciate how the word tone in printed on the knob because that's exactly what it does- lowers the tone.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Has anyone here used the Nazgul and Sentient SDs yet? I was listening to some demos after I saw that Schecter was putting them in their 2014 models and they actually sound pretty good.

E: Supposedly they only come in 7 and 8 string models but Schecter has them for a six string, unless SD is making them exclusively for Schecter, which is always a possibility

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 27, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm fairly certain you can get them in 6 string form now, but you might have to ask a dealer to actually order them for you. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I don't know much about the Nazgul besides the clips I've heard. It seems kind of like a distortion+JB I guess, which is a good combo. The sentient is more like a 59/Jazz fusion, which also sounds pretty tasty.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Ugh... When you're saving money to buy a house, NAMM updates on Facebook are the worst loving thing to plague you. I've been looking at gear and thinking, "That's a sofa... or I could just sit on the floor I suppose".

Edit: A friend just pointed out the blindingly obvious solution, sit on the guitar case, problem solved! I think I have enough now for a really weird version of The Princess and the Pea.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 27, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's good for me that there's only two amps in the world I want right now and no NAMM reveal could change that unless it was a Diezel Licensed Peavey Herbert Copy

On the other hand, seeing Reinhard Bogner at his own booth kind of wanted to make me buy ten of his amps so he wouldn't have to shop at thrift shops for clothes

That said I do want one of those Keith Merrow sigs in white, or one of the 2014 Jeff Loomis guitars, but the inlays put me off that one

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I finally managed to swing by the guitar store and fiddle with some different guitars in search for a $200-ish first guitar. The one I liked most was a Epiphone Les Paul 100, which is just slightly over budget but doesn't rule it out.
My main question is: the Les Paul Special II is $100 cheaper and seems to my noob eye to be basically the same instrument. I didn't actually play the Special II so I can't compare how it sounds.

Is the 100 worth the extra money for a total beginner?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never played those, but looking at them, I'd say it's really up to whichever one you think you'd be happier owning.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nostratic posted:

My main question is: the Les Paul Special II is $100 cheaper and seems to my noob eye to be basically the same instrument. I didn't actually play the Special II so I can't compare how it sounds.

Not if you don't know how it sounds/feels. It could objectively be a better instrument but if (just if) you hate how it sounds and feels, that could well be more of an obstacle to a beginner.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

comes along bort posted:

Nope I've used NOS Mepco pots with Vitamin Q caps in 50s wiring for that extra mojo. Still useless.

It's not about seeking out some dumb bullshit, it's about having a useful feature that apparently you don't get much out of (which is fine, whatever, just don't gut the tone control if you're going to sell me a guitar 'cause I use them tia).

I prefer the kind Fender used in the early 2000s that take themselves out of the circuit on a detented pot. Have cake + eat cake. For you, I guess that would just be "ugh now I have to always make sure this stupid knob is set to the detent ugggggggh" but I promise it's not so bad, cheer up bort

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nostratic posted:

I finally managed to swing by the guitar store and fiddle with some different guitars in search for a $200-ish first guitar. The one I liked most was a Epiphone Les Paul 100, which is just slightly over budget but doesn't rule it out.

The 100 has a maple cap, which will affect the sound. More treble, more attack. Basically, more biting if you want it to be. Also two volume and two tone knobs instead of the one each on the Special II.

It looks like the 100 would sound a lot more like a Gibson Les Paul, and the Special II probably sounds more like an SG. I'd definitely pay $100 for those two features. Otherwise, they look reasonably similar: same pickups, rosewood fingerboards, bolt on necks.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Nostratic posted:

It looks like in those 2 guitars, the differences are mostly cosmetic, with the exception of more knobs!

The more expensive one has the pickup selector in the "proper" place, bigger strap buttons, more knobs, cream pickup rings, a pickguard, nicer paint, and it says "LES PAUL".

If you are gonna get it in black, the cheaper one looks fine. If I was wanting that cherryburst color, well it looks pretty gross in the cheaper one.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

I thought it did stuff like change the wiring around so the switches operate differently. There is this other company that made some touch sensitive pads to replace the controls and you could program it via their software to do whatever you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQud2bXEMQE

"And that's why most people who use Stratocasters don't use positions two and four". WHAT THE FLYING gently caress? Daft comment aside, I like the idea of being able to blend your pickup configuration to your will.

It was either last year, or the year before. Ernie Ball released a few guitars which you could connect to a PC and change the pickup configuration to a ridiculous level. If I remember correctly the user was able to select individual pole pieces on separate pickups and assign them to a favourite. The tone pot was a push-pull pot I think? Allowing 25 configurations to be available at all times. I'm going off a slightly drunk and hazy memory at the moment so I'm probably off on the details but I distinctly remember watching a Steve Morse interview covering this last year.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This is because they played in the 1960s and, contrary to popular belief, don't have time machines.

1980s good sir. I believe you mean 80s.

40 OZ posted:

You underestimate how many people there are who like simple equipment. For some, limitless possibilities is an amazing thing; for people like me, it's a bad thing. Less is more.

This is one of the many reasons I love Eddie Van Halen. He's such a likeable hypocrite. "Oh keep it simple. One pickup, no tone control. Just simple!" MONSTER loving RACK OF EQUIPMENT POST GUITAR.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 27, 2014

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Quote is not edit. :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

This is one of the many reasons I love Eddie Van Halen. He's such a likeable hypocrite. "Oh keep it simple. One pickup, no tone control. Just simple!" MONSTER loving RACK OF EQUIPMENT POST GUITAR.

There is nothing likable about Eddie Van Halen

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Agreed posted:

It's not about seeking out some dumb bullshit,

Yeah, that's why I don't use tone knobs.:colbert:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nostratic posted:

I've got the 100, its fine. Check for fret buzz before you buy, mine sounds like poo poo with light strings and I'm annoyed I didn't get a different instrument (same model). I didn't play the special 2 though.
I dont know that BONUS KNOBS are worth an extra hundred. I means yeah I use em, but I could live without em.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Declan MacManus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4

Got a pitchshifter in that rack? Something to think about I guess

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oh yeah, that. :( I won't deny he's an absolute twat at times I won't deny, but he wrote some of my favourite music and aside from many a blame-the-sound-man-for-my-own-collosal-gently caress-up situations he's done some incredible live performances.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Took off the fretboard number stickers on my guitar today. No more training wheels for me. :toot:
Started playing back in October with Rocksmith. I mostly fiddle with Guitar Pro 6 tabs and my amp now though. Really glad I picked up a guitar instead of potentially buying the Playstation 4. Am I officially cool now?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
One pickup, at the bridge, wired directly to the output jack. Anything else is elitist bullshit.

Torabi posted:

Am I officially cool now?
No. The only thing less cool than a guitar player is a bass player.

You should learn bass now.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 28, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They make fretboard number stickers?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah but I put them on my dong and tell girls they're inch markers

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

comes along bort posted:

They make fretboard number stickers?
Apparently comes with Rocksmith. Not sure why you don't just, you know, do what the rest of us did (look at the loving dots!), but whatever gets people to learn.

When I visited my father, who has Rocksmith, I noticed that it has a Screaming Females song in it ("Rotten Apple"), which is loving rad.

nrr posted:

Yeah but I put them on my dong and tell girls they're inch markers
Pretty sure there's no '1' sticker :iceburn:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Yeah, that's why I don't use tone knobs.:colbert:

And so continues the long and storied history of wrong think followed by :colbert:

It's not your fault, bort, one day you'll meet the tone knob for you and all of this insanity will seem like nothing, you'll just roll it back a little and think, ahhh, that's nice, it's slightly less bright than before but still has pretty much the same output level, I can enjoy this, and you'll just sort of smile all day, and the next day, and the next day, and the next

edit: most of the time I don't use the tone knob on my guitar, but for a high output tele bridge it's actually pretty handy for when I don't want it to sound like a hot-wound esquire... I don't know why the standard config isn't the whole "it can either be in the circuit or out!" since imo that's waaay more useful than trying to do some hosed up single-pole bax EQ on the tone knob, just match the pot to the pickups and make it defeatable with a switch of some kind (doesn't have to be a pot w/ detent, that's just what they were doing at the time) and tada everyone is happy! Everyone, even starving children who will never afford a guitar and don't care about this poo poo at all.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 28, 2014

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Agreed posted:

And so continues the long and storied history of wrong think followed by :colbert:

Psst, Agreed, I don't think you thought this through properly, bud

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

nrr posted:

Psst, Agreed, I don't think you thought this through properly, bud

Layers man, layers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm going to replace all the controls on my guitars with short circuits and on/off/momentary switches.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm going to replace all the controls on my guitars with short circuits and on/off/momentary switches.

Do it to it. We've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

Go jackson style and use dpdt switch for each pickup then sell it in an overpriced retro series with lovely colors

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
there comes a day when each of us must take off our boyhood and put on our manhood

it is only then we come to understand and appreciate the beauty of simplicity in all things

and eschew needless complications and shun trendchasing

some of us are on the path, others have yet to realize a path exists

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
You go do that while I am soldering a circuit bent furby and a kaoss pad into my high pressure laminate guitar with carbon fiber truss rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEbcRurfiQ

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

there comes a day when each of us must take off our boyhood and put on our manhood

it is only then we come to understand and appreciate the beauty of simplicity in all things

and eschew needless complications and shun trendchasing

some of us are on the path, others have yet to realize a path exists

Yeah, this is what tone controls are useful for, mainly. They replace a boyhood with a manhood 95% of the time. You want the biggest manhood around, you're gonna need like three tone controls, one for every pickup in your three humbucker guitar, real talk.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
what gauge wire should I use for a ground to bridge

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The regular 22-24ga used for most wiring is fine.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm going to pipe in this tone knob bullshit, and say that a tone knob is goddamn necessary in a Jazzmaster (possibly Jags too, but I don't own one so I couldn't say much about that), a nice luxury on almost any single coil guitar, and only for tradition/Jazz dudes in anything else.

Though for the Jazzmaster if you replace the 1M(!) pots for a more reasonable amount then the need for the knob diminishes. On the other hand, I love how dark it sounds when you flip to the rhythm circuit and play with the 50k(!!!) tone pot.

That said, I'm going to rupture eardrums with my 'ice-pick' Jazzmaster t0nz. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

JHVH-1 posted:

You go do that while I am soldering a circuit bent furby and a kaoss pad into my high pressure laminate guitar with carbon fiber truss rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hEbcRurfiQ
Yeah, uh, you can do neat weird things with it like uh, you press this and you can make some really uh interesting sounds.

i still think it's kinda rad, but that guy's a loving retard