Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

God, I dread Java updates because they keep making major changes that break our apps. :(

Kronos breaks like once a week for us no matter how many times we tell Java to not update. It just does it anyway. Java is almost as bad as printers. Are there any printers that run Java? :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some Xerox production printers used to use a Sun workstation as their RIP. So in a round about way they probably did run Java.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I got away from this at my old job, only to find one department at new job uses it for whatever dumb reason.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

myron cope posted:

Kronos breaks like once a week for us no matter how many times we tell Java to not update. It just does it anyway. Java is almost as bad as printers. Are there any printers that run Java? :barf:

What do you expect from a company named after a Titan best known for eating his own children?

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

myron cope posted:

Kronos is the biggest pile of poo poo. We are using java 6 and 7 where I work and Kronos will only work with the java 6 browser plugin. Using java 7 it will spit out a message saying it only works on java 6 and then gives a broken download link. And then you better enter everything perfect or you will have to reload the entire pile of crap since its validation means "display a popup and never let you edit the value that failed validation"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What do you expect from a company named after a Titan best known for eating his own children?

Masticated human resources departments?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Okay did a pretty thorough testing of my app with Java 7 Update 51 and nothing seems to be broken.

Unlike update 41(I think) where they mistakenly put the 32bit binaries up with the 64bit name, and update 21 where they entirely changed the way java interprets quotation marks in code, which utterly broke our frontend UI.

God, I wish we'd drop the Java-based UI and go web-based.

Anyway, gently caress Java.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Kronos is supposedly re-writing in HTML 5. But it won't be ready until (at least) 2015

We have everyone use Java 6 update 17, which is hilarious for security. But other versions of Java and Kronos just stops working. I think there are Kronos updates that maybe aren't getting applied (on our end), though. Troubleshooting Kronos issues for us is basically uninstall anything that says Java, install 6u17.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Our main problem with Java has been that most of our clients updated to v51, and apparently you're not allowed to have unsigned code in v51, so all the various third-party webapps they use to do their business on that haven't had any kind of certificate or signature attached to them (because lazy programmers and/or beancounters trying to save money) now suddenly aren't even showing up on the page any more. Had to set the Java security settings to the lowest allowed in order to get everything to even show up, and now it throws up an obnoxious unskippable "OMG THIS ISN'T SAFE!" box every time Betty from accounting needs to put in her checks. Getting a whole lot of "THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTIONMY WORKFLOW!" complaints, but there's literally nothing we can do.

Also, I can't wait for the shitstorm when next update rolls out and they revoke support for unsigned code entirely. I hope to God I'm somewhere that doesn't take any in-call when that happens.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hearing all these stories makes me glad as poo poo that we have nothing that needs Java at my job.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
Java is required at my workplace for people to access VPN, and everyone has to use it to work from home. Not to mention, the web app we use to log in to VPN requires Java to be up to date at all times, or else it won't work. It will literally keep you in a "you must update Java" loop until you do as it says.

Needless to say, everyone was forced to update Java when the update landed, and everyone got hosed by v51 in that it kept everyone in the "you must update Java" loop. Including the IT staff who happened to be working from home at the time (myself included). We managed to fix the situation while still keeping v51 around, but it couldn't have been less fun if it tried.

So basically, gently caress v51.

justlysarcastic fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 28, 2014

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Caged posted:

Some Xerox production printers used to use a Sun workstation as their RIP. So in a round about way they probably did run Java.

As far as I know, my last job is still using a DP90 printer, which does in fact use a Sun box for the controller. We had to go into the command line and disable the screen saver every time we rebooted the printer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wow, DP90 brings memories back. I was chatting to the guy we had in to service it and he said that it was giving up on jobs because the paper wasn't moving at the required 70mph or something equally insane. They could turn a tree into output in a lunch break.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
A ticket came in at 5:30pm on a vacation day:

I have been having a lot of problems with the brother printer at my desk in the last few weeks, so now I have a new printer.
The old one is on the floor by your desk

No mention of said problems to me, no mention of whether she wants me to set up the new printer for her, no idea what kind it is or if it will even function the way she wants it to on wireless. People in my office who do this weird me out. Are they afraid of me? Where did she get the printer? Argh.

Another person in the office has a printer that won't print black (I think he messed up the print head by putting a cartridge in there without taking off all the orange plastic, but whatever, this stuff happens) but he's had his assistant order about $300 worth of spare ink cartridges for it over the years, so I'm being forced to buy the same model on ebay as HP no longer manufactures anything that uses the same ink.

gently caress printer

user on probation fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 28, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

tehloki posted:

A ticket came in at 5:30pm on a vacation day:

I have been having a lot of problems with the brother printer at my desk in the last few weeks, so now I have a new printer.
The old one is on the floor by your desk

No mention of said problems to me, no mention of whether she wants me to set up the new printer for her, no idea what kind it is or if it will even function the way she wants it to on wireless. People in my office who do this weird me out. Are they afraid of me? Where did she get the printer? Argh.

Another person in the office has a printer that won't print black (I think he messed up the print head by putting a cartridge in there without taking off all the orange plastic, but whatever, this stuff happens) but he's had his assistant order about $300 worth of spare ink cartridges for it over the years, so I'm being forced to buy the same model on ebay as HP no longer manufactures anything that uses the same ink.

gently caress printer

Yeah I get things like this too.

This week, I received a forward from a manager in another department who received a e-mail from another staff member about a computer at a remote office that has apparently not had internet for 2 weeks (which is affecting production but not enough to contact anyone in IT). Turns out, the cable running to it was damaged because it's a computer in the middle of the room without a proper drop at site we recently acquired. Thankfully I found a wireless usb adapter laying around to fix it temporarily, because of course I only get the (very unspecific) e-mail once I'm already on site and I'm not bringing my networking tools back and forth for no reason. I only visit that site once a week when no one is there for some peace and quiet. Though it was anything but that this week because gently caress printers:
3rd party Oki cartridges that apparently didn't have the chip in them and the printer only decides to stop working properly with them once the drum was replaced. Not sure who authorized the purchase of 3rd party toner, as it's always a pain in the rear end and surprise surprise, no spare toners to replace the 3rd party one, but we sure as poo poo had 2 extra of every other drat colour.

I also enjoyed getting 4 tickets e-mails for support on the 2 days I call in sick, sent directly to me instead of all of IT like they are suppose to because then whoever is actually there can deal with it. At least they didn't bug me when I didn't respond until I got back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tehloki posted:

but he's had his assistant order about $300 worth of spare ink cartridges for it over the years

So, like, one cartridge, then.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Our main company application runs on Java 6.31

:|

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

myron cope posted:

Kronos is supposedly re-writing in HTML 5. But it won't be ready until (at least) 2015

We have everyone use Java 6 update 17, which is hilarious for security. But other versions of Java and Kronos just stops working. I think there are Kronos updates that maybe aren't getting applied (on our end), though. Troubleshooting Kronos issues for us is basically uninstall anything that says Java, install 6u17.

Ah, Kronos. Ours only works on java 6u29 but if you have almost any other version, which everyone does, it tells you to use 7.49, or sometimes 6.22. Having either of those installed actually gives a sperate error claiming the account is not configured.

Strangely, these errors only seem to happen 15 minutes before the user is leaving on the day they have to have their time in. :v:

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

guppy posted:

So, like, one cartridge, then.

Nope, a literal bucketload of the smallest possible, least efficient price/ink cartridges. I'm glad I don't have to order supplies for everybody's personal printer, but man are the various assistants/receptionists bad at it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Personal printers are the scourge of any IT environment. We have a strong policy against personal printers here and it mostly works, but there are still a few C-people who think they are above the rules and can pull enough important strings to get it anyway.

At least when we're forced to buy personal printers we buy them network capable printers so we can remote manage them. gently caress USB printers forever.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Everybody here who has a personal printer is either a VP or needs it for legitimate reasons (printing cheques, printing off HR records, banking stuff, etc). It's very frustrating because all these people do so much drat printing that it seems like the better solution would be for them to have the giant xerox outside their office door.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tehloki posted:

Everybody here who has a personal printer is either a VP or needs it for legitimate reasons (printing cheques, printing off HR records, banking stuff, etc). It's very frustrating because all these people do so much drat printing that it seems like the better solution would be for them to have the giant xerox outside their office door.
The "legitimate reasons" go away as soon as you set up a good pull print solution (We have RFID readers on the printers and people use their door tags to authenticate). Then prints don't come out until you're standing at the printer, and if you're printing something sekrit you can just tell people to stand back if they get nosy.

The real reason people want personal printers is because they're too lazy to move their rear end out of their chair to walk ten feet over to the department printer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tehloki posted:

Nope, a literal bucketload of the smallest possible, least efficient price/ink cartridges. I'm glad I don't have to order supplies for everybody's personal printer, but man are the various assistants/receptionists bad at it.

Right, so, having spent $300, that would get you a bucketful of one cartrINK IS EXPENSIVE GET IT?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
With all the Kronos talk, does anyone run a purely web based, AD-integrated time clock product that doesn't totally suck? We need to replace our crappy thick client app from the 1990s.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Collateral Damage posted:

The "legitimate reasons" go away as soon as you set up a good pull print solution (We have RFID readers on the printers and people use their door tags to authenticate). Then prints don't come out until you're standing at the printer, and if you're printing something sekrit you can just tell people to stand back if they get nosy.

The real reason people want personal printers is because they're too lazy to move their rear end out of their chair to walk ten feet over to the department printer.

I wish we had these. Nothing worse than printing a single page document only to find and have to wait for a few 100 page print jobs in the queue because the printer was broken (no paper).

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a strong policy against personal printers here and it mostly works, but there are still a few C-people who think they are above the rules and can pull enough important strings to get it anyway.

A lot of our people think this too.

They are right :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We also have Kronos but ours is strictly a program in the AS400 :dance:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Mierdaan posted:

With all the Kronos talk, does anyone run a purely web based, AD-integrated time clock product that doesn't totally suck? We need to replace our crappy thick client app from the 1990s.

I have been researching some right now. Most are crap. I'd been looking at AsureForce, but their sales rep for my area is truly the most insufferable dickhead I've ever talked to. After three or four emails wherein I was told "just sign the quote already" (which we hadn't even approved yet), he decided that my request to see part of the program in action (you know, rather than dropping thousands of dollars on it completely sight-unseen) was clearly an attempt to scam him into giving away the software for free. He directly accused me of such and decided to cancel our written quote.

In short, gently caress Asure with the longest stick possible. At least reps pushing Kronos are capable of selling their goddamned product without tripping over their own egos.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Mierdaan posted:

No recommendation here, just stay the hell away from ADP. The custom in-house web form at my last job was better than this abomination of outdated java.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress Kronos and their useless goddamn support that my client pays bucket loads for

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Roughly 1000 tickets came in:

A bunch of education software says we need to update Java, but the grading software says specifically NOT to update Java. We can't win in education.

The latest version of Chrome doesn't work on the SMART boards. You can open Chrome, but can't open new tabs, or scroll a page from the smart board itself. Clicks and everything else works correctly with the mouse. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me, because the smart board should be nothing more than a touch interface simulating mouse clicks/presses. Oh yeah, the grading software that has parts working with HTML 5, only work in Chrome.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sonic Dude posted:

he decided that my request to see part of the program in action (you know, rather than dropping thousands of dollars on it completely sight-unseen) was clearly an attempt to scam him into giving away the software for free. He directly accused me of such and decided to cancel our written quote.

If you can steal software just by seeing a demonstration of it then you've got a bright future as an NSA contractor! :v:

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

tehloki posted:

Why not use secure print with pins or ID card requirements?

That way they secret documents can only be called by the user when they are physically at the printer.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Someone should make a java spoofer or something. I'm sure like 80-90% of software would work with the latest java without issues if you disable their version check.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

BromanderData posted:

Why not use secure print with pins or ID card requirements?

That way they secret documents can only be called by the user when they are physically at the printer.

I tired to get teachers to do this for 2 years. Using secure print, or any other advanced feature, is equivalent to asking them to implement the Apollo program.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah we gave up on secure printing using PINs/log ins. Although I can't really blame the users for hating it because HP's UI for it is terrible both on the client and printer side.

Pull printing using RFID badges is much nicer because the users don't have to do anything on the computer, and "put badge on pad" is something even the most thick-headed marketing manager can understand.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a bunch of separate print queues set up once based on whether people wanted to print mono and duplex it, or colour and single-sided, with secure options for each so they didn't have to tick it themselves. Even though the printer was behind a door that they needed their ID badge to access the secure print was described as "too complicated". I also had people get confused when asked what tray of a stacker output module they wanted their prints to come out of.

People just see that a question is about computers and regardless of what the actual question is their brain seeps out their ears onto the floor.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
"But I want my print job to be done and waiting for me by the time I get to the printer. Authenticated printing wastes too much of my time."

An actual argument. So the time saving solution was implemented to buy every single employee a $99 wireless HP printer for their desk :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"My $99 printer is out of paper/toner. Come and replace it THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTIVITY."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Roargasm posted:

"But I want my print job to be done and waiting for me by the time I get to the printer. Authenticated printing wastes too much of my time."
"Maybe we should look at the firewall logs to see how much of your work time you spend on facebook before you talk about wasting time."

• Locked thread