Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Use lots of resonant/coloring low-pass, compressed reverb, tape delay, sidechaining, gates, and uh, compressed reverb. Lots of compressed reverb. I recommend Frohmage, RoughRyder and Tal-DUB if you lack VSTs to do those kinda things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Poizen Jam posted:

Got a question about the mixing and mastering stage of music production. Figured it might be an amateur question, but with regards to signal chains; If I have an instrument that has a delay effect on it, but also reverb, would I;

A.) run the dry signal to both a delay and a reverb return

Or

B.) run the delay as an insert and output that to a reverb, outputting the wet delay to the reverb

Or

C.) run the dry through two separate returns, and also send the delay return to the reverb for further processing?

I know a lot of this depends on what you want to achieve really, but as a general rule would reverb on a wet signal with delay be Ill advised and simply cause noise (unless intended as an effect?). As I said, this is concerning mixing and bussing, not sound design.

I know both delay and reverb provide spatial cues so it seems pertinent not to accidentally ruin the stereo image. Thoughts?
C is the superior setup because provided you can set the various levels going in and out, you can also achieve A or B without replugging anything.

Technically there's no problem with either scenario, it really depends on your goals. Noise isn't the word I'd use, I'm more thinking of 'time smearing'. Smearing a wide pad sound with a long attack and release stage is great. Doing the same thing on drums or anything with intense transients often not so much. The latter will often be perceived as muddying. To prevent that, syncing delay and reverb times to the tempo of the track (in addition to not/barely reprocessing the output of the delay with reverb) can help a lot. Those aren't hard rules, though.

Reverb and delay are in ways very similar, but their effects are distinct because they work on such a different scale. Accidentally ruining the spatial image on a technical level is not likely. Spatial cues from one plus those from the other just create a third, different space.

I use the term spatial image, because neither delay nor reverb necessarily need to output in stereo and especially a mono reverb on one or two instruments panned opposite the source can be used to great effect too if your track is getting too cluttered otherwise.

Again, none of the options is inherently problematic and you shouldn't feel like you're doing anything wrong if the results sound good to you. B on a plucked lead can be pretty great. If you're worried, A, letting each effect do its thing separately, is the safest setup, least likely to introduce problems in the mix, especially if you sync the timings with the tempo. If you actually need smearing somewhere, it's easy enough to use additional inserts.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Appreciate the prompt response! I appreciate that either routing would work given the appropriate scenario, but I like a general rule to go by. I find there's a big difference between a happy accident/experiment and a mistake; learn to colour by numbers/inside the lines before doing abstract art after all.

I mean, i may even throw the reverb as an insert before a delay if I decided I needed a Phil Collins style snare that echoed/bounced, for instance. It's all a matter of goals at the end of the day.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm producing a soundbank for Massive at the moment, would you guys tell me what you look for when it comes to patches? Would be really good to have people's input!

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

wayfinder posted:

I'm producing a soundbank for Massive at the moment, would you guys tell me what you look for when it comes to patches? Would be really good to have people's input!

Some super nasty sick dirty gnarly massive grungy phat wide big hefty meaty super-enormous gargantuan zonkulous dubstep wobble basses, bruh!

Zonkulous is a word I made up to represent the kind of sound I want, bruh. It's there somewhere, I just can't make it and it's not in any of the default presets. It's gotta be zonkulous, though, bro! I know the sound is out there, it's like, just make it like Skrillex, but like super heavy. You know what I mean? Then I can make the music I wanna make. Thanks.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Haha :) Ima zonk yo rear end.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I look for a mixture of "I didn't think I could do that with this VST, holy poo poo" and "this patch sounds like X instrument from Y song, so now I can look at the settings and see how that was done", but I'm a newbie so feel free to completely ignore my opinion.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ejstheman posted:

I look for a mixture of "I didn't think I could do that with this VST, holy poo poo" and "this patch sounds like X instrument from Y song, so now I can look at the settings and see how that was done", but I'm a newbie so feel free to completely ignore my opinion.

That makes a lot of sense. I think I've got the first one covered, but the second one is a bit more tricky for me. I don't usually approach things from that angle. My normal workflow is:

• have an idea for a patch
  • experiment around the concept / apply existing knowledge of what sounds good and how the synth works
  • optional two-to-four-hour stretch of solving a tricky problem
  • commit to a patch layout
  • set up modulations, which means more experimentation with different kinds of pattern playing
  • play the hell out of it for a while and correct anything that feels off

The only place where other people's music comes into play is when I'm generating ideas, but I seldomly try and reproduce stuff exactly, and I never write down where I got the inspiration. Maybe it's time to start doing that :)

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I can't find this again -- there was some audio editing software that cost around $500 that had a ton of features for harmonic analysis and doing things like isolating particular instruments in a sample.

I'm trying to Google for it but can't loving find it, I know it was pretty popular and well-liked, can anyone refresh my memory? :(

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Might be melodyne.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Weird BIAS posted:

Might be melodyne.

Definitely was. Looks really nice, shame about the price.

breaks
May 12, 2001

For whatever it's worth, once a year or so (including right now through the end of the month) they do half price ($150) upgrades from Melodyne essential, which itself is $99 (some places sell it for a bit less, or it's free if you buy the full Studio One package).

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

wayfinder posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I think I've got the first one covered, but the second one is a bit more tricky for me. I don't usually approach things from that angle. My normal workflow is:

• experiment around the concept / apply existing knowledge of what sounds good and how the synth works
  • set up modulations, which means more experimentation with different kinds of pattern playing

The only place where other people's music comes into play is when I'm generating ideas, but I seldomly try and reproduce stuff exactly, and I never write down where I got the inspiration. Maybe it's time to start doing that :)

I wouldn't expect a musician to spend a bunch of time mimicking other people's stuff for pedagogical purposes. I mean if you want to do that, it's helpful to me as a newbie, so I think that's great, but I don't want to come off like, "you should definitely do this." What you're describing above sounds totally reasonable.

Do you use aftertouch at all in your patches? It seems to be available as a modulation source in Massive, but I usually host Massive in Ableton and Ableton seems to be kind of bad at aftertouch. I did a MIDI-OX/MIDI Yoke thing to remap poly aftertouch for my MPD18 to a bunch of consecutive MIDI CCs, in the hope of maybe making an interesting Ableton drum rack, but I wasn't happy with any of the ideas I had and kind of lost momentum with it.

It seems like you ought to be able to substitute aftertouch for filter envelope or something, and end up with something intuitive to play, but I've never done anything that seemed to have more dimension to it than one can already get with velocity sensitivity.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 29, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ejstheman posted:

I wouldn't expect a musician to spend a bunch of time mimicking other people's stuff for pedagogical purposes. I mean if you want to do that, it's helpful to me as a newbie, so I think that's great, but I don't want to come off like, "you should definitely do this." What you're describing above sounds totally reasonable.

Do you use aftertouch at all in your patches? It seems to be available as a modulation source in Massive, but I usually host Massive in Ableton and Ableton seems to be kind of bad at aftertouch. I did a MIDI-OX/MIDI Yoke thing to remap poly aftertouch for my MPD18 to a bunch of consecutive MIDI CCs, in the hope of maybe making an interesting Ableton drum rack, but I wasn't happy with any of the ideas I had and kind of lost momentum with it.

It seems like you ought to be able to substitute aftertouch for filter envelope or something, and end up with something intuitive to play, but I've never done anything that seemed to have more dimension to it than one can already get with velocity sensitivity.

No, I don't map to aftertouch. My keyboard doesn't have that anway ;)

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I made a footwork track, not really sure what thread it goes in but it's more electronic music than hip hop so i'll leave it here. Based around an R&B slow jam kind of sample, electric piano and chimes.

https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/another-night

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I made a footwork track, not really sure what thread it goes in but it's more electronic music than hip hop so i'll leave it here. Based around an R&B slow jam kind of sample, electric piano and chimes.

https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/another-night

This is tight as hell

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Messing around with 110BPM for the first time, had fun making this one.

https://soundcloud.com/stosz/tlaloc

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Made some beats yesterday:
https://soundcloud.com/goobers_yo/u-i-g-5-7
https://soundcloud.com/goobers_yo/ah-ye

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Fantastic work, getting a Dilla vibe from these. Is Uig sampled from somewhere?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

dk2m posted:

Fantastic work, getting a Dilla vibe from these. Is Uig sampled from somewhere?

Thanks man, appreciated. Yeah the bassline is from a bill evans record filtered way down and the instruments are from some very old harp records

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

This is tight as hell

thanks!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

nother'
https://soundcloud.com/goobers_yo/valentine

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

It's been a long time since I've done this,and I was never very good at it in the first place but anyway, here's this: https://soundcloud.com/swissdonkey/boomstick-preview-work-in

I've been listening to a fair bit of progressive house lately and felt like writing a bit, and this is what I came up with. I'm not too stoked with how weak the drop sounds, so there's going to be a fair bit of work done there. And of course, I have to write an outro. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Hello thread, been a while. I'm definitely making techno trance now, this ones a proper handraiser :) Would love some feedback on it: https://soundcloud.com/careyb/pressure

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

me again. Been sampling my samples of the sample. Samples.
http://soundcloud.com/goobers_yo/samurai-tax/s-UL7pR

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
This is interesting.

I know faux producer tutorials are kind of played out, but this one makes a decent point. I'm sad to admit there's an SM-57 in my home studio gathering dust lately that could be used for awesome things.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Poizen Jam posted:

This is interesting.

I know faux producer tutorials are kind of played out, but this one makes a decent point. I'm sad to admit there's an SM-57 in my home studio gathering dust lately that could be used for awesome things.

Haha, I never watch any tutorials so I actually laughed...

One thing I crave is running my poo poo through some analog gear, literally anything. Analog >>> digital.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Thoogsby posted:

me again. Been sampling my samples of the sample. Samples.
http://soundcloud.com/goobers_yo/samurai-tax/s-UL7pR
I just want you to know all of your beats and samplng are so good.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Here's a silly chiptune thing I just made. I guess it's not proper chiptune but whatever!
https://soundcloud.com/colugo/greetings-traveler

Has anybody else had trouble getting midi controllers to work on Windows 8? I have an Ohm64 which is just a basic midi/plug+play controller which doesn't require any drivers. For some reason Windows reports that there is a "problem" with the device and "reinstalling the drivers might help", and it doesn't show up as an available device anywhere. If I unplug and re-plug the device over and over eventually the problem goes away and the controller is usable, which I guess is a workaround but it's pretty annoying to have to do it every reboot. Just thought I'd check here since a cursory google didn't reveal much...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Blowdryer posted:

I just want you to know all of your beats and samplng are so good.

Thank you kind maim or sir.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dicky B posted:

Has anybody else had trouble getting midi controllers to work on Windows 8? I have an Ohm64 which is just a basic midi/plug+play controller which doesn't require any drivers. For some reason Windows reports that there is a "problem" with the device and "reinstalling the drivers might help", and it doesn't show up as an available device anywhere. If I unplug and re-plug the device over and over eventually the problem goes away and the controller is usable, which I guess is a workaround but it's pretty annoying to have to do it every reboot. Just thought I'd check here since a cursory google didn't reveal much...
Is this on a new computer? Sounds a bit like what USB power issues would do, possibly. Looks like the Ohm64 with all those lights might be drawing power at the edge of what the port can deliver. If the port delivers slightly below spec you get this sort of "yeah, no, maybe" poo poo.

Certainly give a powered USB hub a shot -you know: one that has its own power brick.

Could still be driver problems, but I haven't seen anyone mention it so far about generic midi devices.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Is this on a new computer? Sounds a bit like what USB power issues would do, possibly. Looks like the Ohm64 with all those lights might be drawing power at the edge of what the port can deliver. If the port delivers slightly below spec you get this sort of "yeah, no, maybe" poo poo.
It is a new motherboard, so that sounds quite likely. I'll pick up a cheap USB hub and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for the help!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
https://soundcloud.com/careyb/powder-mill

An attempt to get a less digital sound. I took nina simone - put a spell on you and made some techno with it... not bad for a days work. Turned out quite deep and dark.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I'm still making my way through this megathread but had a quick question. I've picked up a midi controller and running it through Reaper with a few VSTs (NI Organs, Harmor demo) and having a lot of fun with it. I'd like to be able to take the whole setup to a buddies house to jam with him a bit. What should I be looking for to handle amplification? I'd like to preferably keep it under $200 and I need to have the sounds coming from my laptop be loud enough to keep up with a Fender Mustang II guitar amp (40w, solid state). I know that used gear is definitely cheaper but if I had to go out this week and pick up something off the shelf is there anything in particular you goons would suggest? I've read that keyboard amps, bass amps, pa systems would all be suitable but I have no idea which is best nor what the better options are in this price range.

Side question, if I were going to pick 1 soft synth and 'master' it, is Harmor a good choice? The presets cover a huge amount of space and I'm looking to do everything from ambient swirly textures to fat bassy synths to face melting pew-pew lasers.

Bolange fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 10, 2014

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

wayfinder posted:

To be fair, anyone can do this. Not anyone can make patches that are actually usable and sound familiar enough. Theres so many people making weird and really complex patches i personally dont see how there could be any market for something you can do for free. Theres shitloads and shitloads of way overly complex patches already in massive, why make more?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, weird and overly complex is definitely not what I'm doing. It's more like, I want this one patch to be phase-shifted L/R exactly half a cycle at every note so I gotta figure out how to phase shift left and right channels individually and how to make sure the amount is linked correctly to the frequency at which the sound is played, both of which aren't trivial. The end result is a fairly complex setup that yields a simple, unweird but otherwise impossible to obtain (in Massive) result. Ultimately, you're gonna want to listen to the demos before you decide :) Here's a taste of two of the patches: https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/ob-x-inspired-massive-patches/s-UQoV5

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

wayfinder posted:

Yeah, weird and overly complex is definitely not what I'm doing. It's more like, I want this one patch to be phase-shifted L/R exactly half a cycle at every note so I gotta figure out how to phase shift left and right channels individually and how to make sure the amount is linked correctly to the frequency at which the sound is played, both of which aren't trivial. The end result is a fairly complex setup that yields a simple, unweird but otherwise impossible to obtain (in Massive) result. Ultimately, you're gonna want to listen to the demos before you decide :) Here's a taste of two of the patches: https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/ob-x-inspired-massive-patches/s-UQoV5

How DO you do that in a Massive patch, anyways? Wasn't aware you could tie parameters to frequency, but I guess it's probably a modulation source?

Gorreus
May 27, 2013

look into my eyes and say that
Hey guys, as per the first page I'm requesting a shopping list. Fairly new to the game, I got about 1-1.2k to spend on just about anything that might be useful for ambient/electronica music production. I already have 2 DAWs, Ableton and Pro Tools, as well as an M-Audio Keystation 88es, so I'm looking for interfaces or controllers that might be useful pertaining to production that might be considered "must-haves". Thanks a ton for whoever takes the time to reply :keke:

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Gorreus posted:

Hey guys, as per the first page I'm requesting a shopping list. Fairly new to the game, I got about 1-1.2k to spend on just about anything that might be useful for ambient/electronica music production. I already have 2 DAWs, Ableton and Pro Tools, as well as an M-Audio Keystation 88es, so I'm looking for interfaces or controllers that might be useful pertaining to production that might be considered "must-haves". Thanks a ton for whoever takes the time to reply :keke:

Do you have an audio interface and monitors already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorreus
May 27, 2013

look into my eyes and say that

Lump Shaker posted:

Do you have an audio interface and monitors already?

No audio interface, and if by monitors you mean studio production speakers, then no to that as well

• Locked thread