Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's a dumb opinion. Dude was just 2 steps ahead of the game Mostly because he had himself from another future zipping around guaranteeing he'd know what was happening and what to do to save the day and he spends 90% the show just dicking around with everyone.

:allears: Remember the time he impersonated the priest for the wedding? or the loving Amazing Iron Chef episodes? Dude's a huge enjoyable jerk and you'd have to be crazy to prefer a bland, lifeless character like Haruto over him. He's at least fun to watch.

None of that was enjoyable. Tendou was the worst kind of smug because he was never wrong and had no flaws at all. That's not fun to watch. Thank goodness for every other non-Hiyori character in that show otherwise I would have never finished Kabuto. If Tendou was allowed to be less than perfect, show doubt, or even have moments where he wasn't the messiah descended to Earth, maybe then I would've enjoyed his character even a small amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Potsticker posted:

None of that was enjoyable. Tendou was the worst kind of smug because he was never wrong and had no flaws at all. That's not fun to watch.

Man, that was THE defining reason I liked Tendou, even forgetting about the fact that the dude is walking comic relief in a boring-rear end show about trite drama + aliens. That stupid bullshit "totally the best!!! oh just kidding he's actually a huge lamer" cliché that's in every loving anime with the typical calm/cool/collected protagonist is completely terrible and overdone and I'm so glad Tendou was never proven to actually be a huge dweeb all along.

But hey. Different strokes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I actually like Tsukasa a hell of a lot more then Tendou because Tsukasa's arrogance will actually bite him in the rear end, and while he's certainly likable and cool, he does have his fair share of loser moments.

Like the part of the show that's about Tsukasa is actually really good, it's just...the other poo poo.

edit: Hey, have a video of the ground https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoLmuRAbzQ

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Exactly, Tsukasa is Tendou done right. He's smug as poo poo, but he's not perfect. He's got flaws, he's allowed to be wrong sometimes. I love Tsukasa and his appearance at the end of Wizard made me so happy. Him and Shotaro being in the new movie will be something to watch, even if the plot will likely be trash.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

Exactly, Tsukasa is Tendou done right. He's smug as poo poo, but he's not perfect. He's got flaws, he's allowed to be wrong sometimes. I love Tsukasa and his appearance at the end of Wizard made me so happy. Him and Shotaro being in the new movie will be something to watch, even if the plot will likely be trash.

What? What were Tsukasa's flaws? Being Secretly Evil (But not really. Maybe.)?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What? What were Tsukasa's flaws? Being Secretly Evil (But not really. Maybe.)?

More than once he was flat out wrong about things in the AR worlds they went to. (I want to say Blade and Ryuki?) He was a terrible photographer to most people. And when he was being a poo poo Natsumelon was right there to give him her secret family technique.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

More than once he was flat out wrong about things in the AR worlds they went to. (I want to say Blade and Ryuki?) He was a terrible photographer to most people. And when he was being a poo poo Natsumelon was right there to give him her secret family technique.

So his flaws were Not knowing everything about all the different universes and being kind of a jerk. Also some people didn't like his photography.

I'm not sure that's that much better then Tendou? But to each their own.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So his flaws were Not knowing everything about all the different universes and being kind of a jerk. Also some people didn't like his photography.

I'm not sure that's that much better then Tendou? But to each their own.

Better than Tendou being a jerk and everyone fellating him every step of the way. Except Yaguruma didn't, and his entire life fell apart. He was punished by fate for disliking Tendou! And the one time in the end it looked like Tendou might possibly be wrong-- with the necklaces and the Good Worms? Nope! Tendou's right and it was his plan all along! I can't imagine finding that sort of story appealing at all? What's the draw of a story where the main character never learns anything? Never grows? Where everything is just dumped in his lap and he never really struggles or overcomes any obstacle because he's the best?

Apollove
May 31, 2013
To be fair, having a protaganist who's pretty much near perfect isn't necessarily a "bad" thing. I mean look at Sun Wukong from Journey to the west, Guy had godly powers out the wazoo and was nearly always right. But, unfortunately Tendou just wasn't really all that interesting past his moments of just trolling people.

Man thinking about it, Kabuto would have been way, way better if everything stayed the same, but Kagami was the main protaganist. Like, Tendou still becomes Kabuto and what not, but the story focuses on Kagami's growth.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Potsticker posted:

Better than Tendou being a jerk and everyone fellating him every step of the way. Except Yaguruma didn't, and his entire life fell apart. He was punished by fate for disliking Tendou!

That's a really weird way of saying "got a huge improvement in the likeability of his character".

Potsticker posted:

And the one time in the end it looked like Tendou might possibly be wrong-- with the necklaces and the Good Worms? Nope! Tendou's right and it was his plan all along! I can't imagine finding that sort of story appealing at all? What's the draw of a story where the main character never learns anything? Never grows? Where everything is just dumped in his lap and he never really struggles or overcomes any obstacle because he's the best?

Spoiler: Tendou is not the main character of Kabuto. He's certainly the central character, but that's not the same thing as being the main character. It was pretty obvious that Kagami is really the main character—he gets the character development, he's the one with ideals worth fighting for, and he's the one who the viewer is meant to like the most.

e: In the end, what some people see as flaws is what other people see as virtues, and that's okay so I'm just gonna drop it here.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kagami, Tsurugi, Kageyama and Daisuke all were interesting characters with compelling arcs. Except Tendou had to show up Kagami and Kageyama at every opportunity, and even at the end of Daisuke's arc Tendou was the one to defeat the worm because you can't have anyone else beating the bad guy in an episode even if it's the entire culmination of Drake's arc and having Daisuke not kill the worm completely undercuts the emotional impact of the whole thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Better than Tendou being a jerk and everyone fellating him every step of the way. Except Yaguruma didn't, and his entire life fell apart. He was punished by fate for disliking Tendou! And the one time in the end it looked like Tendou might possibly be wrong-- with the necklaces and the Good Worms? Nope! Tendou's right and it was his plan all along! I can't imagine finding that sort of story appealing at all? What's the draw of a story where the main character never learns anything? Never grows? Where everything is just dumped in his lap and he never really struggles or overcomes any obstacle because he's the best?

Literally everyone but Bland Girl gave Tendou poo poo. Like every other Rider spent the whole show hating Tendou. Even Kagami barely could stand him and spent most of their shared screen time annoyed at his nonchalant attitude. Like I'm not sure how you see any of that as 'everyone fellating him every step of the way'.

Also Yaguruma when he first showed up was literally Another Tendou. Like he was the Golden Boy (His spec ops Zecttroopers were even Gold in fact!). He was Tendou but working for the untrustworthy possible antagonists and without the grandiose showmanship. He only got interesting AFTER Tendou wrecked him. Kick Hopper Yaguruma was 1000x better than TheBee Yaguruma.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

melodicwaffle posted:

That's a really weird way of saying "got a huge improvement in the likeability of his character".

Kick Hopper Yaguruma was 1000x better than TheBee Yaguruma.

I'm not sure Kick Hopper would've been quite as great if we didn't witness the breakdown of Yaguruma's previous character, but we agree at least that he was rad as Kick Hopper.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I'm not sure Kick Hopper would've been quite as great if we didn't witness the breakdown of Yaguruma's previous character, but we agree at least that he was rad as Kick Hopper.

So wait, if Kick Hopper benefits from yaguruma's breakdown why were you citing Yaguruma's breakdown as a bad thing that Tendou did?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So wait, if Kick Hopper benefits from yaguruma's breakdown why were you citing Yaguruma's breakdown as a bad thing that Tendou did?

Because if the Hell Bros showed up with no previous story or reason then they would've been as static as Our Lord And Savior Tendou himself. I was using Yaguruma's breakdown and not the aftermath as an example of the story focusing on Tendou never being wrong and never losing. You know, the stuff I dislike Tendou for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope its a fakeout, but based on the next-week preview for Kyoryuger, looks like Utchy is falling victim to the Curse of the Dino Teams

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
Tsukasa was a dumb idiot because he did whatever he wanted all the time and was forced to care about things. Also he turns evil every movie and kills everyone which is terrible. With Haruto, his aloofness is because of the burden he feels from being the last hope of humanity.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Welp it looks like Kyoryuger is only getting one more episode, making it the shortest Sentai since JAKQ.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 27, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Welp it looks like Kyoryuger is only getting one more episode, making it the shortest Sentai since JAKQ.

Is there a week off between this and ToQger? I thought that didn't start til the 16th.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Uh, Tokusatsu Network has summaries up for 47 & 48. I haven't read them but unless you're not counting one of them for a reason, I believe you're incorrect?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Dino curse is already fulfilled:
Silver was the last color to join, was temporarily evil as Dantetsu, and Torin is dead

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I guess the Wizard of Oz motif for the villians in the series applies to more then just appearances then. The Scarecrow got a brain (Luckerio deciding to leave the Deboss legion), the Tin Man found his heart (Aigaron confessing to Candelira and attempting to atone for his actions), Dorothy's found a new home and I'm guessing eventually the Lion is going to find his courage and break free from Endolf's control.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I guess the Wizard of Oz motif for the villians in the series applies to more then just appearances then. The Scarecrow got a brain (Luckerio deciding to leave the Deboss legion), the Tin Man found his heart (Aigaron confessing to Candelira and attempting to atone for his actions) and I'm guessing eventually the Lion's going to find his courage and break free from Endolf's control.

And Dorthy's gonna find her way home in the arms of Nossan :3:. There's also the card suits theme running between the four as well: Aigaron is Spades, Candelira is Hearts, Luckerio is Diamonds I think and that leaves Dogold with Clubs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Darksaber posted:

Uh, Tokusatsu Network has summaries up for 47 & 48. I haven't read them but unless you're not counting one of them for a reason, I believe you're incorrect?
Oh I didn't know that. I just assumed since the preview for 47 opened with "IT'S THE FINAL BATTLE!"

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh I didn't know that. I just assumed since the preview for 47 opened with "IT'S THE FINAL BATTLE!"

Every Sentai final fight I have seen have been a two parter.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I hope in 48 the Deboss is defeated by the commercial so they have time to wrap things up. And maybe the whole cast dances at the end.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just figured it was a two parter since it said it was the beginning of the series finale in the blurb I read.

And I'm going to be severely disappointed if Candelira doesn't end up with Nossan. I'm worried that Aigaraon's death will mean she's not ready for a relationship!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
All this Kabuto talk does nothing but make me sad that there still aren't non-poo poo subs of that show. gently caress Blade, NDA, gimme them Kabutos.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There's literally a straight-up english dub of that show that is about as faithful as it can possibly be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

There's literally a straight-up english dub of that show that is about as faithful as it can possibly be.

Live-action dubs really bother me. Not because of some dumb nerd bullshit, it just gets under my skin when people's mouths don't match the words. It sets off my autism something fierce.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Rei_ posted:

What. Where.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Apollove posted:

What. Where.

The entire thing is up on youtube and is about as good as you think it is.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

It's...about as perfect a translation of Kabuto as you could ever want. Like something about Kabuto is just adorably trashy enough to lend itself to a dub.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
I watched some of the first episode

????? Was there any real reason for them choosing to dub over kabuto? or, what?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Apollove posted:

I watched some of the first episode

????? Was there any real reason for them choosing to dub over kabuto? or, what?

It was aired on Singapore TV.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
I'm enjoying the final arc of Kyoryuger. I still think Shinkenger had the best final set of episodes but there are two more to change my mind.
You know you really enjoy a show when you can't believe it's already ending. I feel like it was just getting started.

I'm a big fan of Carranger and Tokkyuger is kind-of-sort-of giving off that vibe. I'm cautiously optimistic. I just really hope #1 isn't as "childish" in the show as he is in the promos. The young-annoying reds really rub me the wrong way. I have more fun rooting for the inspiring or cocky leaders.

Also thanks to whoever linked Tokusatsu Network. "The series reunites the producer, writer, and director from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger – Taakai Utsunomiya (Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kamen Rider Wizard), Yasuko Kobayashi (Kamen Rider Ryuki, Den-O, OOO, Gingaman, Timeranger, Shinkenger, Go-Busters, Sailor Moon), and Shojiro Nakazawa (Kamen Rider Wizard, Gekiranger, Shinkenger)."

OK, nevermind, now my hopes are up!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really liking the closure they're giving a lot of the characters. I always had the impression that the Reds get a disproportionate amount of the spotlight, but this season really seemed to give everyone a nice plot arc. Souji had the whole thing with being Torin's apprentice, Ian had his vendetta against Aigoron, Nossan had his misadventures with Candelira. Amy seems to have kinda gotten the shaft, but at least there was the early season stuff with her trying to balance her posh rich family expectations against her life as a Sentai hero.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Has that restaurant or whatever it is in Kyoryuger always been called Tiger Boy? Because if it has been such, I feel like an idiot for missing the Zyuranger reference when I first saw.

EDIT: The sign is also yellow, actually. Pretty obvious, and I love it.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 28, 2014

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Has that restaurant or whatever it is in Kyoryuger always been called Tiger Boy? Because if it has been such, I feel like an idiot for missing the Zyuranger reference when I first saw.

I think it's the first time we saw the outside of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The screencap in question, although /m/ says that the yellow Tiger Boy has been there since the first episode. It's /m/ however, so I'd take that with a grain of salt either way. It would be super-rad if they had planned this all along I think. Also, what about that (Minor current ep spoilers:) KyoryuBlack using an axe.

• Locked thread