Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

Grand Illusion (2013.11.21) - I know nothing about this movie other than it's a classic and that I'm long overdue.

Try this next.

Intolerance - It's broken up into four distinct but still interlocked segments. Like BoaN it's a history lesson that comes across academic at times (intertitles have factoids about what's being shown). Also, like BoaN I'm doing a lot of googling after this one to sort out the copious amount of references.

What stuck out here was the scale found in some scenes and the ambition for its time.

I could type out a term paper on the four stories but the saying "history repeats itself" pretty much captures it. It's 2014 and I'm sure everyone is familiar with the feuding between the followers of Ishtar and Marduk. No? Well, don't worry because you won't have trouble finding people arguing over deities today either.

Procrastination (95 completed):

#89 The Lady Vanishes - I think this has been remade a few times. 11/17/13

#94 Body Double - I have this confused with Body Heat. 12/7/13

#96 Once Bitten - I'm sick of watching dreary Ebert #1 films. 12/12/13

#97 Gun Crazy - Looks exciting. 12/15/13

#98 The Host (2006) - It's gotten some acclaim. 12/15/13

#100 Departures - A newer entrant to the IMDb top 250. 12/17/13

#102 Tootsie - Did this inspire Mrs. Doubtfire? 12/30/13

new #103 Predators - The final step before Prometheus. 1/5/14

James Herbert Bond versus James Tiberius Kirk:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - I saw this in the theaters when I was too young to take much from it. 1/2/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (32/46 completed):

1988 Mississippi Burning - Another one I haven't heard much about. 12/7/13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
TrixRabbi, that's a good point about the end of Lost Weekend. I suppose, on paper, it's just as likely that Don would relapse as not. But the visuals seemed different to me; more light and airy, and there was none of the disturbing music. Then again, it could be I was fooled into thinking he was better just the same way Don was. Hmm, that's an interesting idea...

Zogo, there are some similarities between Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire, but the plots are pretty different. Also, the former is a bit more plausible in that he doesn't have to fool anyone who knows him.

I'm on hold for City of God, so I went ahead and watched Ratatouille. Ratatouille is a conflicted movie. I enjoyed the first half quite a lot. I liked the way Remy was able to bond with Linguini without any need for words, and that we never saw Linguini's perspective and heard Remy at the same time. There was some great pantomime used to let Remy "talk" to him. The voice acting was all pretty good (especially Brian Dennehy, who sounded so much like Willem Dafoe it was scary). I also really loved that Colette made some overtly feminist statements about how hard it is to succeed in a man's world, and I was impressed that they were willing to make plot points of such adult subjects as drunkeness and illegitimate children.

Unfortunately, at about the halfway mark Linguini is named owner of the restaurant, and the movie started hewing to the Disney formula far too closely. Granted, it was already a "finding your place" story, but towards the end I saw every plot beat coming. Linguini starts getting egotistical, and Remy gets mad, and then they betray each other but feel bad about it, and then Linguini confesses Remy's existance in the old "liar revealed" trope, and they all leave but OF COURSE Colette sees Gusteau's book and decides to turn around, and Remy's whole family pitches in and can we just get this over with? Also there was a thoroughly superfluous villain in Chef Skinner who filled time but had very little significance to the larger plot. There was more than enough conflict between the main characters and with trying to impress the critic Ego (played by Peter loving O'Toole!), and I liked the way his character turned around at the end. Presumably Remy knew his background and therefore figured Ego would like a "peasant dish."

Anyway, I'm giving this a passing grade, but just barely. I don't regret seeing it; a lot of it was great, but it's not one of Pixar's best. It started great, but it fell apart when it tacked to a formulaic plot.

Rating: 3/4

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

94. The Ten Commandments- Another (pseudo) historical epic.

96. The Bourne Supremacy- Love the first one, eager to find out more.

97. Ed Wood- People go on and on about this. I've never seen an Ed Wood movie, but I don't think it matters.

99. ON HOLD- City of God- It's like a Brazilian Goodfellas? Okay, you have my attention.

100. Top Gun- Call Kenny Loggins, 'cause we're about to head into the DANGER ZONE! Also, gay volleyball.

101. Spartacus- In the end, aren't we all Spartacus? Yeah, I know how this one ends, but that's basically it. Also, I think it's popular among labor organizers.

102. Enchanted- I love Disney movies, but I also know their problems. I think this must have come out during the period when I was too old to be in Disney's target audience and too young to admit I still liked these sorts of movies without being embarrassed.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jurgan posted:

TrixRabbi, that's a good point about the end of Lost Weekend. I suppose, on paper, it's just as likely that Don would relapse as not. But the visuals seemed different to me; more light and airy, and there was none of the disturbing music. Then again, it could be I was fooled into thinking he was better just the same way Don was. Hmm, that's an interesting idea...

Wilder said that he deliberately wanted to leave it ambiguous, but left hope that maybe Don would finally get some words on paper. However, I doubt even that. He doesn't write once during the film, except for that one time when he sits down at his typewriter and pumps out a title before he just goes searching for a bottle. He does however talk about writing a lot. And that's what he's doing here, talking. He likes the idea of being a writer more than writing. I think that the truth of the matter is that Don is just going to sit down to write, do nothing, and go into another drinking spell.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jurgan posted:

97. Ed Wood- People go on and on about this. I've never seen an Ed Wood movie, but I don't think it matters.

As someone who's never seen a single Wood film either I fully recommend Ed Wood. It's Tim Burton's finest work.

---

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - One of those films that has been referenced and parodied so often in pop culture that I'm not sure how much of it would actually be new to me. Still it's Kubrick so it's probably worth it for the cinematography alone.

3. Stagecoach (1939) - Orson Welles called this the perfect textbook of film making, and I'm not going to argue with Orson loving Welles.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Psycho (1960) - As with 2001 I know about as much as you can without actually having seen it. However, if knowing the twist would ruin the film this would never have become the classic it is.

6. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Over the years I saw various bits of this on TV but the never the full film. It's been sitting at the top of IMDB's best movies list for years so it must be doing something right.

7. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972) - I want to know if this film is even half as crazy as the stories about its production.

8. City Lights (1931) - One of the few Chaplins I haven't seen yet.

9. Tangled (2010) - Frozen was one of my personal favourites from 2013 and this one is supposedly quite similar.

10. Ran (1985) - I'll take any opportunity to see more Kurosawa.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

6. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Over the years I saw various bits of this on TV but the never the full film. It's been sitting at the top of IMDB's best movies list for years so it must be doing something right.

Try this first.

Jurgan posted:

Zogo, there are some similarities between Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire...the former is a bit more plausible in that he doesn't have to fool anyone who knows him.

It seems like both would be challenging. Michael Dorsey had to fool his best female friend and the whole TV audience, employers etc.

Tootsie - We start off with struggling actors who can't get good acting jobs. Michael Dorsey is good at his craft but he's got an exceedingly difficult reputation so he's anathema in the industry and there's only one solution to solve this problem. He dresses as a woman to land a decent soap opera role. Many shenanigans begin to blossom from this and things go by quickly until the slower farm segment. Dorothy Michaels becomes increasingly popular as she goes off script on the show.

Some individual scenes were funny but the picture on the whole took on a sinister more cynical tone in my mind as Dorsey became manipulative. And most of the other characters had a dog eat dog mentality.

Could someone fool the country like this?

Also watched:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Kirk and his aging crew have been given the dubious job of extending an olive branch to the Klingons (still mostly annoying and temperamental hotheads) in an effort to achieve galactic peace. At this point the writers are placing large sections of Hamlet into the dialogue.

Unfortunately Kirk remains prejudiced against the Klingons and is believed to have fired on a Klingon ship. One plot point that stuck out was the lack of security cameras or protocols that would've easily identified the actual assassins immediately. I can't say I'm sad that it's over considering the age of the actors in 1991.

PS I liked the insertion of the actors signatures at the beginning of the end credits.

Procrastination (96 completed):

#89 The Lady Vanishes - I think this has been remade a few times. 11/17/13

#103 Predators - The final step before Prometheus. 1/5/14

new 1987 House of Games - Haven't heard much about it. 1/9/14

new 1985 The Color Purple - Oprah is in this. 1/9/14

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
A Woman Under The Influence: One of the most intense dramas I have seen. It left me speechless. Gene Rowland's 'crazy' acting blew me away since it didn't feel goofy or unnatural at all. Peter Falk's character was just so pleasant to watch and his whole situation really got to me. Sometimes it did feel a bit long, though.

5/5

-----

Zogo: Check out The Lady Vanishes.

1. The Haunted Strangler (Robert Day)
Boris Karloff's characters just seem so haunting that I can't resist.

2. Slacker
The premise for this film is interesting.

3. The Uninvited
Older horror films is something I enjoy quite a bit.

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó
I have been interested in this one for years and Bela Tarr and I never saw Horse of Turin. I hope it's worth the time commitment.

6. Solaris
Have been recommended to watch this several times.

7. Harakiri
Just want to see more Japanese cinema!

8. Breathless
Throwing in another Godard classic.

9. Kes
Seen too few 'animal' movies.

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide, Vampyr, Band of Outsiders, The Thin Red Line, Vivre Sa Vie, A Woman Under The Influence,

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
von Braun, you get Solaris

Rain Man was decent enough entertainment. Tom cruise is at his best when he plays a selfish rear end in a top hat and here he was perfect. I thought Hoffman was outstanding though. He really elevates this from becoming the Tom Cruise vehicle of the week. It did feel a bit manipulative in certain spots, but overall I enjoyed it.

) Le Deuxieme Souffle- love that Melville
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) It's A Mad Mad Mad World- that's a lot of mads and I hear this has been referenced a lot
4) Bringing Up Baby- I like early screwball comedies
5) Gun Crazy- mmmm 1950s noir
6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the only Michael Mann I haven't seen
7) Stalag 17- I love all the Wilder I've seen so far
8) The Wolf Man- more Universal monsters
9) Swing Time- last musical on the AFI top 100 I haven't seen
10) A League of Their Own- I know the famous line, but that's about it. Is this any good?

New List of Unshamed: The Invisible Man; Paris, Texas; Dr Strangelove, Ran, Stripes, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Throne of Blood, Touch of Evil, Blow Out, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Sound of Music, The Apartment, The Rules of the Game, The Last Picture Show, Bicycle Thieves, Manhattan, The Conversation, All That Jazz, Two Lane Blacktop, The Deer Hunter, Island of Lost Souls, Tokyo Story, Nashville, A Woman Under the Influence, The Earrings of Madame de..., Rope, The Phantom Carriage, The Magnificent Seven, Go West, Cabaret, Five Easy Pieces, To Live and Die in L.A., A Fistful of Dollars, The Nightmare Before Christmas, For A Few Dollars More, Sanjuro, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Great Dictator, Around The World In 80 Days, Our Hospitality, Rain Man

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

6) Thief- another 80's thriller and the only Michael Mann I haven't seen

One of his best.

Spirit of the Beehive (1973): Quiet, contemplative, haunting, beautiful. The historical context weighs heavily on the film's conscience but is hardly necessary to understand in order to appreciate the warm, breathtaking cinematography, the understated performances, or the ethereal locations. The little girl is amazingly passionate, the James Whale homage fits perfectly into the overall themes of conflict and ideological desolation, and in the midst of it all is this esoteric motif of bees and honeycombs, most obviously dappling the window to the father's study, that makes the film truly unique and memorable. 90/100

1. Das Boot: I think I've avoided this because Petersen's more recent Hollywood output is full of garbage.

2. The English Patient: Elaine sure didn't like it but then again I don't think I'm on the same page with her about Sack Lunch.

3. My Night at Maud's: I've never seen any Rohmer and he's getting recommended to me enough that I'm willing to at the very least put him on this list now.

4. The Best Years of Our Lives: I go where Myrna goes.

5. The Bad Sleep Well: There's always more Kurosawa, until there isn't, I guess.

6. Faust: I was thinking the other day about how cool I thought Murnau was despite having only seen two of his movies.

7. Harlan County, USA: I was sick the day they showed this in college and I always regretted missing it.

8. La Dolce Vita: Sweet Christ, this is long.

9. The Battle of Algiers: I've neglected this one despite various recommendations from lots of trustworthy folk.

10. The Firemen's Ball: Haven't seen a Forman I haven't loved.

Watched - The Godfather Part II (95), City of God (95), Paths of Glory (85), North by Northwest (95), The Bridge on the River Kwai (90), Fanny and Alexander (100), 8 1/2 (85), The Rules of the Game (80), His Girl Friday (75), The Wages of Fear (90), Rashomon (95), Stroszek (90), The French Connection (85), Singin' in the Rain (95), Cries and Whispers (90), Grand Illusion (95), Gaslight (85), Aliens (80), Wild Strawberries (90), Scenes from a Marriage (85), M (75), Tokyo Story (80), Blue Velvet (80), Nashville (90), The Great Dictator (85), Forbidden Planet (100), Satantango (85), The Apartment (70), Shane (85), Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (90), Harakiri (90), Mulholland Dr. (90), The Hidden Fortress (85), Three Colors: Blue (90), Nostalghia (85), Throne of Blood (90), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (90), The Color of Pomegranates (70), Yi Yi (85), The Exterminating Angel (80), L'Atalante (90), Hiroshima mon amour (80), The Double Life of Véronique (95), Ace in the Hole (80), The Spirit of the Beehive (90)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Das Boot: I think I've avoided this because Petersen's more recent Hollywood output is full of garbage.

Watch this, preferably the director's cut.

---

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

I can see why this is so well-loved. It's a beautfully shot film that manages to be touching without coming across as cheap or manipulative. For the most part it's very laid-back, and gives its characters room to develop; which is good as there are some great performances. Tim Robbinson usually doesn't do much for me as an actor but his quiet demeanor works well for the role of the reserved Andy Dufresne. Morgan Freeman gives one of his best perfomances and Bob Gunten makes for a terrific warden.

I do think the film plays it a bit too much by the numbers at times and some scenes feel as if they were just going through the motions. But it's hard to criticize it for that when it hits every note so well. It strings you along and makes you feel both for and with the characters. Thomas Newman's score deserves a lot of praise for this. It's subtle but does a great job at enhancing the mood of key sequences. The only thing that bothered me were the voice-over narrations. I enjoy listening to Morgan Freeman as a much as anyone else, but most of his lines are superfluos and don't tell you anything that's not already apparent. They're infrequent enough that this isn't really a big problem though.

1. The Trial (1962) - After watching Citizen Kane and F for Fake I need some more Orson Welles in my life and this is often cited as his best film.

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) - One of those films that has been referenced and parodied so often in pop culture that I'm not sure how much of it would actually be new to me. Still it's Kubrick so it's probably worth it for the cinematography alone.

3. Stagecoach (1939) - Orson Welles called this the perfect textbook of film making, and I'm not going to argue with Orson loving Welles.

4. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) - Another one from John Ford. Love the book, never seen the film.

5. Psycho (1960) - As with 2001 I know about as much as you can without actually having seen it. However, if knowing the twist would ruin the film this would never have become the classic it is.

6. (new) The Great Escape (1963) - A prison film for a prison film. You can't really go wrong with Steve McQueen and Elmer Bernstein.

7. Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972) - I want to know if this film is even half as crazy as the stories about its production.

9. Tangled (2010) - Frozen was one of my personal favourites from 2013 and this one is supposedly quite similar.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's far more than what's been absorbed by pop culture. Enjoy!

Dog Day Afternoon: This movie was incredible. Al Pacino is a guy who robs a bank to pay for his lover's sex change. The entire opening robbery is great for getting you to identify with him, because let's be honest, this is probably how well it would go if you tried it. What follows is what I know realize is the gold standard for hostage negotiation movies that every movie since has tried (and mostly failed) to live up to. There's this great undercurrent of behavior in public vs. unguarded moments, especially with Sonny switching on a completely different personality as soon as he's in front of a crowd/camera. Naturally, Pacino acts the hell out of both, switching from this over-the-top demagogue robber type to a panicking regular guy whose life is falling apart as soon as he locks the bank door.

I feel like there's stuff in here I would need to watch the movie again to figure out, like the significance of the "kill everybody" call, which seems too purposeful to just be thrown in.

As a side note, I didn't know about the Attica riots until this movie. Jesus.

My Shame List, in order of length of time on the list:

1) Triumph of the Will: Super influential Nazi propaganda? Seems like I should watch this just to keep an eye out for people using its techniques.

2) Forbidden Planet: A Sci-fi adaptation of Shakespeare? Sounds fun.

3) The Graduate: Know the meme, see the movie!

4) Days of Heaven: Never seen a Malick movie. This was strongly recommended to me since I really liked Upstream Color.

5) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot.

6) The Fly: The Cronenberg one.

7) Total Recall (1990): I hear there's somewhere my rear end should be getting.

8) La Dolce Vita: 8 1/2 was good. How about another Fellini?

9) Galaxy Quest: Star Trek in all but name?

10) Chinatown: (new) Jack Nicholson deals with some pretty screwed up stuff. That's all I know.

De-Shamed (40) [Top 5 6 in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Dr., The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Unbreakable, Lost Highway, Man with a Movie Camera, The General, Dog Day Afternoon

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 11, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Nolanar posted:

2) Forbidden Planet: A Sci-fi adaptation of Shakespeare? Sounds fun.

It's a favorite.

The Lady Vanishes - The title is the plot as a woman disappears from a train. No one remembers her except one other person and we don't know if it's a conspiracy or just a hallucination.

This was an impressive mix of comedy, mystery and action. It progressed through those three genres easily and surprisingly and it wasn't predictable.

It reminded me of an Agatha Christie novel so it wasn't surprising to see the film was based on a story by a contemporary. I was reminded of many other films so it seems influential.

Procrastination (97 completed):

1987 House of Games - Haven't heard much about it. 1/9/14

1985 The Color Purple - Oprah is in this. 1/9/14

new 1982 Sophie's Choice - I think I know the ending of this but I'm not even sure. 1/11/14

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Zogo posted:

I've seen it a couple times. It's a good one.

L'Atalante is worth it for the camerawork, soundtrack, and individual scenes that capture the attention. The overall narrative is not as fulfilling, but many of the pieces make it a mostly satisfying whole. Basically, any time Pere Jules was on screen, it was a delight even when he was a leering creep. Just a salty old seadog. The little info given about him, in one of the best scenes, when he recounts his world travels to Juliette, is really interesting. I kind of want to see a movie about his various adventures and how he got those tattoos.

The score is really something all the way through. Shame director Jean Vigo died so young.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was enamored by it.

1930s - All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - Started watching this at a video store I used to work at a decade ago...never finished it.

1940s - Monsieur Verdoux (1947) - Later Chaplin, I've heard mixed things.

1950s - Earrings of Madame De... (1953) - Grabbed it blindly from the last B&N Criterion sale.

1960s - La Notte (1961)- Now, I've heard this is a sequel to L'Avventura. Do I need to see that before this?

1970s - World on a Wire (1973) - Time to see a Fassbinder movie!

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Europa (1991) - Lars von Trier is a fascinating filmmaker and I would like to see more of his earlier work. I've caught Anti-Christ, Melancholia and Dogville but his only pre-2000 work I've seen is The Kingdom.

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that.

Bonus/Random - Dersu Uzala (1975) - Kurosawa film with a story I've been fascinated by but never watched.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante (TOTAL: 152)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
RatedArgh, All Quiet on the Western Front is great. Go watch it!

Pan's Labyrinth didn't make me a fan of Guillermo Del Toro, but I did find this better than the other films I had seen from him. This is a fantasy tale along the line of Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz or Labyrinth. The fantasy world in this one is really well designed. The creatures themselves are very unique and visually striking. I find this to be a strength of GDT. I do wish we got to spend more time in this fantasy world though. The parts of the story that take place in the real world with the Fascists tend to take up too much of the run time.

One thing I've noticed about GDT is that while his movies are very imaginative, he tends to cram way too much detail into every setting. Everything just seems so...busy? I don't know if that's the right word, but I think he'd benefit from using minimal designs at times. This would help the set pieces that are detailed stand out more

I also watched Monster last week, and I completely forgot that I had even added this to my list. I enjoyed it. The acting was really good. Charlize Theron as Aileen Wuornos is pretty much unrecognizable. It was an interesting study in the relationship between Wuornos and Selby Wall (Christina Ricci). Wall almost seemed manipulative at times. She wanted Wuornos to take care of her, even though Wuornos clearly couldn't take care of herself. This movie does do a good job of demonstrating how it is difficult to turn your life around from crime.

The List of Shame

1. Blow-Up: This is supposed to be one of the game-changing movies that helped influence the New Hollywood era. It's probably time I watch it

2. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

3. Mean Streets: This one always seems to be overlooked when people talk about Scorcese

4. Blacula: If Dickeye posted in this thread he'd make me watch this right now. CPL593H might too.

5. M*A*S*H*: Double secret shame: I don't think I've even watched an episode of the show

6. Ace Ventura: More on here because it's well known. I found that really obnoxious people imitated Carey too much when this came out

7. Mean Girls: This is spoken of fairly highly around these boards. And everywhere really.

8. All about Eve: Are there other characters, or is this really all about Eve?

9. The Bourne Identity: I haven't watched any of these movies, except for the one with Jeremy Renner. I have the DVDs of all of them sitting around though, so I should probably watch it soon.

10. The Hurricane: They need to make more movies based on Bob Dylan songs!

Un-shamed in 2014: Pan's Labyrinth, Monster

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

2. The Great Escape: What's so great about it?

The scale and the amount of people trying to escape.

The Host - A big monster fish emerges from the Han river six years after a ton of formaldehyde has been disposed of improperly. It gets right down to business and starts chasing people around and ingesting them. The monster has legs and is kind of an acrobat and there's a lot of macabre humor.

Most of the plot centers around a girl who was abducted and the futile attempts by her funny family that oscillates between incompetence and resourcefulness.

It seems there's some commentary on issues but I don't know much about NK or SK culture. The US did come across as comedic villains in this. This seems like a timely viewing with what's been going on in West Virginia with that big chemical spill.

Also watched:

Body Double - This is what happens when you meld Vertigo together with Rear Window, inject it with the sentiment and glitz of 1984, water it down with flawed editing and then try to showcase the virtues of peeping on neighbors. It's a tense and sometimes frustrating ride that left me conflicted.

Jake is a struggling actor suffering from claustrophobia. He has a life explosion due to a cheating wife and the loss of an acting role. He then gets a break by being able to housesit for a friend in something that looks like a UFO observatory.

At the prodding of his friend he begins to peep on a woman across the way. He starts witnessing disturbing things and decides to ratchet up his stalking (ethical/good stalking of course). I was wondering just how far this would go as our protagonist hero was really starting to look odd after chasing Gloria around a mall and beach for over twenty minutes.

I didn't see the twists coming until we got a very heavy-handed fifteen second montage.

Issues: Why didn't Jake call the cops when the attack began?
Why didn't Jake use his car during the attack?
Would he really uncover the conspiracy that quickly?

PS Craig Wasson looks a lot like Bill Maher.

Procrastination (99 completed):

new #104 Johnny Got His Gun - A trepidacious premise. 1/14/14

new You Only Live Twice - YOLT not YOLO. 1/14/14

1985 The Color Purple - Oprah is in this. 1/9/14

1982 Sophie's Choice - I think I know the ending of this but I'm not even sure. 1/11/14

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
But did you like The Host, Zogo? (Sincere question because I loved that movie, and the director's other films even more so)

Would you folks be so kind as to help compile a list of movies, similar to ones recommended in this thread, that are available on Netflix?

Stuff that's on there now:
Battleship Potemkin, Buster Keaton films, Persona by Bergman, Days of Heaven, Hari-Kari

Lillelord
Oct 3, 2009

Zogo posted:

Watch this one. Not as good as Predator, but I thought parts of the movie worked really well.

Finally had the time to catch up with this thread today, so I spent my breakfast with Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds in Singin' in the Rain. After seeing this and The Sound of Music I no longer can say that I'm not a fan of musical. I'm of the opinion that The Sound of Music has better song numbers and cinematography (not to say that Singin' in the Rain doesn't have some gorgeous visuals), but the leads of this movie have so much charm and wit. In addition I was quite taken away by the script which I found shockingly funny and there were some scenes that made me laugh out loud. Where should I go next? I don't know that many classical musicals. Are there any non-american musicals I should see? The only one I can name is Dancer in the Dark by Trier, but I've already seen it.

1. All About Eve: Don't know much other than it is a classic.

2. Underground: I should see more European film that isn't from western Europe, and I've heard good things about this one and Black Cat, White Cat from Emir Kusturica. Worth a shot?

3. Judgment at Nuremberg: Three hour epic about the nazi trials after the war? Should be interesting.

4. Throne of Blood: Kurosawa has never disappointed me, yet I can go a long time without seeing a new Kurosawa-movie. I should fix that.

5. Sabrina: Billy Wilder can do no wrong and in this he's teamed up with one of my favorite actors, Humphrey Bogart

6. Killer's Kiss: Seen everything Kubrick has done except this one and Spartacus. Heard mixed things but hey, it's Kubrick. Ought to be at least interesting.

7. House of Games: Recently watched Glengarry Glen Ross and loved it. Don't think I've seen any other Mamet-movies. Ebert has this one on his greatest movies list, so it should be good.

8. La Dolce Vita: La Strada is one of the greatest Italian movies I have seen, and I found 8½ interesting even though I must admit to not seeing how it's considered one of the greatest movies of all times. Maybe this will change if I see some more Fellini so I can get more of a feel for his style?

9. High Sierra: I have quite the hang-up on Humphrey Bogart at the time, and this is his first leading role, if I'm not mistaken.

10. Coffee and Cigarettes: I know I'll like this, but I've yet to make myself actually sit down with it.

De-shamed: 1.Mean Streets 2.The Searchers 3.The Sound of Music 4.Breaking the Waves 5.Onibaba 6.Birth of a Nation 7.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 8.Some Like it Hot 9. Singin' in the Rain

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
As far as classic musicals go, Fiddler on the Roof is probably your next best bet, and it's hard to beat West Side Story, The Music Man, and Cabaret.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Lillelord posted:

Where should I go next? I don't know that many classical musicals. Are there any non-american musicals I should see? The only one I can name is Dancer in the Dark by Trier, but I've already seen it.

I'd recommend watching The Music Man. It has some of the best musical scenes put on film and an incredible performance by Robert Preston. Since you've enjoyed The Sound of Music you might want to check out Mary Poppins as well. And then there's West Side Story, which I'm personally quite fond of.

Edit: Or, you know, just do what Magic Hate Ball says.

Lillelord posted:

3. Judgment at Nuremberg: Three hour epic about the nazi trials after the war? Should be interesting.

It is. Enjoy.

---

2001: A Space Odyssey

In one word: mesmerizing. I alrady knew Kubrick was an amazing director, but even so this film took me completely by surprise. There's a sort of cerebral quietness to it that you don't find in his other work, or most films for that matter. There's a plot and characters of course, but what stays with you aren't so much coherent ideas as individual images. The long shots of the African savannah in the opening, a space shuttle slowly approaching the moon; even something as mundane as characters walking through the interior of a space ship is beautfully framed. There's not a single wasted moment in the film, every small movement and gesture feels like it was deliberately orchestrated and has a larger purpose behind it.

I realize this isn't a very comprehensive review, but it's difficult to describe what makes 2001 so great without simply using twenty different synonyms for the word beautiful. It's genuinely one of the most visually impressive films I've ever seen and I regret not having had the chance to watch in a cinema. It must look amazing on a big screen. What's more it really doesn't show its age. Apart from the general aesthetic being firmly rooted in the sixties this could easily have been released today. It's incredible what they could achieve without a single instance of CGI.

The one criticism I have is that the finale could have been shortened a little. Up to the last moment with HAL the film is incredibly well paced. There's not a single boring moment despite its long running time and slow speed. But the Stargate scene, as impressive as it looks, could have been half as long and still worked quite well.

2. (new) A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

6. The Great Escape (1963) - A prison film for a prison film. You can't really go wrong with Steve McQueen and Elmer Bernstein.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 15, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

escape artist posted:

But did you like The Host, Zogo? (Sincere question because I loved that movie, and the director's other films even more so)

I'm kind of neutral on it at the moment but wouldn't have a problem recommending it. I found the creature itself to be the most interesting aspect. The overall story didn't hook me really and as things progressed they got grimmer and more hopeless. The family came across as comical and at times I couldn't decide if I should be rooting for them or laughing at them.

One thing that hampered the viewing a little was the subtitles being white and exceptionally small. They were hard to read in any scene that was light.

escape artist posted:

Would you folks be so kind as to help compile a list of movies, similar to ones recommended in this thread, that are available on Netflix?

Are you familiar with? http://instantwatcher.com/genres/11

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Solaris: I expected it to be 'slow' at times, and I knew it was long, but how I underestimated these facts. I thought I would love it, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. The imagery is beautiful and dreamlike and the characters interesting, but that's about it. Funny how I absolutely love 2001: A Space Odyssey but this felt like a mountain.

2/5

-----

Samuel Clemens: Watch The Great Escape. Steve McQueen is just the best.

2. Slacker

3. The Uninvited

No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó
I have been interested in this one for years and Bela Tarr and I never saw Horse of Turin. I hope it's worth the time commitment.

6. Lost In Translation
Just never gotten around to it.

7. Harakiri

8. Breathless
Throwing in another Godard classic.

9. Kes

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide, Vampyr, Band of Outsiders, The Thin Red Line, Vivre Sa Vie, A Woman Under The Influence, Solaris,

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

von Braun, go watch Breathless.

Forbidden Planet: Men in a flying saucer visit an old scientific colony, only to find one inhabitant left alive, and who only wants to be left alone with his daughter. Then they get attacked by his id made manifest by space-magic. It was a good little story well-told, and while it's still clearly inspired by the Tempest, it doesn't feel shackled by it. The set design was gorgeous, with all the matte paintings and ray guns and Science Stuff I could want. The problems with the film mostly revolve around the scientist's daughter Altaira, who isn't given much personality and whose presence brings out the worst in the crew.

My Shame List:

1) Triumph of the Will: Super influential Nazi propaganda? Seems like I should watch this just to keep an eye out for people using its techniques. (added 3/20/13)

2) The Graduate: Know the meme, see the movie! (added 7/26/13)

3) Days of Heaven: Never seen a Malick movie. This was strongly recommended to me since I really liked Upstream Color. (added 10/27/13)

4) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot. (added 12/7/13)

5) The Fly: The Cronenberg one. (added 1/4/14)

6) Total Recall (1990): I hear there's somewhere my rear end should be getting. (added 1/4/14)

7) La Dolce Vita: 8 1/2 was good. How about another Fellini? (added 1/4/14)

8) Galaxy Quest: Star Trek in all but name? (added 1/4/14)

9) Chinatown: Jack Nicholson deals with some pretty screwed up stuff. That's all I know. (added 1/11/14)

10) Solaris (1972): This gets compared to 2001 a lot. Based on the Stanislaw Lem book? (added 1/20/14)

De-Shamed (41) [Top 5 6 in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Drive, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Unbreakable, Lost Highway, Man with a Movie Camera, The General, Dog Day Afternoon, Forbidden Planet

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
This thread makes me feel like an rear end because I have never heard of any of the movies you are all ashamed to have not seen :(

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

JakeP posted:

This thread makes me feel like an rear end because I have never heard of any of the movies you are all ashamed to have not seen :(

Throw together a list of your own! There's pretty much no actual shame here; we tend to get excited when someone shows up with more well-known films on their lists. The reaction to "I've never seen [Jaws / Star Wars / Casablanca / Citizen Kane]" is almost always "oh man, you're in for a real treat."

And if someone with a hundred movies under their belt posts before you with a list of lesser-known Italian Neo-realist films, just pick the one that sounds interesting or has been on their list the longest or whatever.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

When I started with this thread I hadn't seen Citizen Kane or Casablanca or even Rocky. It's a great motivator to finally get up and explore all those movies everybody always talks about.

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012
E: Nolanar, watch Solaris.

1. Inception
2. From Dusk Till Dawn
3. Atlantic City
4. Band of Outsiders
5. An Affair to Remember
6. Pather Panchali
7. The Red Shoes
8. The Black Cat
9. The Steel Helmet
10. Ivan's Childhood

Pick one for me please.

HonkyDong fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 22, 2014

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

JakeP posted:

All you gotta do is look in the 'de-SHAMED' lists at the end of each post to see that you're certainly not alone! We've all been there, and it's actually a lot of fun to stay on top of this thread, get that weight off your shoulders, and be able to be involved in the conversation. I say a good basis is the IMDb Top 250 films that interest you - even though I disagree with the order of these films, it's a good starting block, along with Ebert's Greatest Movies list and the 'They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?' list. From there, I look at it as finding directors you appreciate in the same way you'd follow a particular author's novels, and the amount of great cinema to catch up with is never-ending.

That being said, I really do need to see Grand Illusion - it was recommended to me like 2 1/2 weeks ago - trying to see as many 2013 releases as I can has got in the way!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

HonkyDong posted:

7. The Red Shoes

One of my favourites from the thread.

I got around to All Quiet on the Western Front and I thought it was really good for the most part. The acting nearly sinks it by being too melodramatic and theatrical. The speechifying aspect is laughable and more could have been said without the wasted exposition. But it's a technical marvel that strongly explores the horrors of war. It's a lot dirtier in its presentation. This is not a sanitized look at war, like what might be expected from its time.

It's interesting to consider the timing of its release. Germany was a few years away from Hitler's rise to dictator and rumblings of WWII hadn't even cracked the surface. Hitler only became Chancellor in 1933 so the world was about to hit a major change for the worse, and the atrocities that followed furthered the thesis of this film and most war movies to follow. War is hell and we're stupid and arrogant for starting them.

LIST O SHAME:

1920s - Pandora's Box (1928) - Know next to nothing about it except a former co-worker was enamored by it.

1930s - L'Age D'Or (1930) - Bunuel is a blind spot that must be remedied.

1950s - Earrings of Madame De... (1953) - Grabbed it blindly from the last B&N Criterion sale.

1960s - La Notte (1961)- Now, I've heard this is a sequel to L'Avventura. Do I need to see that before this?

1980s - Cobra Verde (1987) - Time to watch more of my Herzog/Kinski box set I bought ages ago.

1990s - Europa (1991) - Lars von Trier is a fascinating filmmaker and I would like to see more of his earlier work. I've caught Anti-Christ, Melancholia and Dogville but his only pre-2000 work I've seen is The Kingdom.

2000 and up - George Washington (2000) - The only film by David Gordon Green I have seen is Pineapple Express. Apparently his early films are nothing like that.

Bonus/Random - Dersu Uzala (1975) - Kurosawa film with a story I've been fascinated by but never watched.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front (TOTAL: 153)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

1930s - L'Age D'Or (1930) - Bunuel is a blind spot that must be remedied.

It's the only one I've seen on your list but I found it unique and memorable. It seems that we're keeping you stuck in the 1930s.

Predators - A group of disparate people are dropped onto an alien planet and they soon realize they're being hunted by an unknown force. I haven't seen many episodes of Lost but I was getting that kind of vibe early on. The notion of humans being lowered on the food chain is something that all the Predator films have dealt with and it's a common theme elsewhere.

There's a few direct callbacks to Predator that kind of detract. It seemed too heavy on the exposition and I was thinking this would've been stronger as a new series rather than a sequel. The first half has a lot of anticipation as we want to know what's hunting these people but having seen all the other films there's not much of a mystery. The second half features mostly predators flexing and posing in between disemboweling the weak humans and ripping their skeletons out. Noland (Laurence Fishburne) has a surprise appearance but is quickly turned into goop by a predator weapon.

In these kind of search and destroy films (where a group of humans are being eliminated by aliens, monsters, demons et al.) I kind of measure them by how much I care about the characters. I can't say I was sad to see most of these characters meet their demise as they're mostly self-serving militarized goons. Humorously, Edwin (Topher Grace) develops an affinity for the predators and tries to develop a kinship with them.

The film ends with a new round of people parachuting in. Round two begins?

PS was there a new alien in the film? I think there was some green lizard that the guys shot that they just glossed over. Also, I can't remember a film having so many uninspired "fucks" in a long time. If you whip out the F word you better bring some gusto like Harris Yulin in Scarface and not some dopey muttering.

Also watched:

The Color Purple - I liked the look of the film and it had very saturated colors at times. There's many interweaving stories so it's not easy to summarize it all concisely. I suppose the main story would be the separation of Celie and Nettie by the Atlantic Ocean.

As I've noted before Ebert loves these films focusing on bleak family life, domestic violence, racial conflict and families in disarray. So I'm not surprised we have multiple families constantly barking at one another, threats of murder and incestuous relationships. A lot of the first two hours focuses on the continuous strife and turmoil between Albert and Celie. To give an idea of their relationship Celie's happy when Albert's mistress is around because the beatings subside.

Most of the guys in the film are characterized as violent ogres, abusive buffoons, serial rapists and professional philanderers. I liked the last 1/5th of the film as the giant clouds lifted and Celie discovered Nettie's letters and finally stood up for herself one dinner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqmreq-dV84

This was very dense and I've barely scratched the surface of all that was going on here. Seems like it'd be a good novel to read.

Procrastination (100 completed):

#104 Johnny Got His Gun - A trepidacious premise. 1/14/14

new #105 To Live and Die in L.A. - A thought-provoking title. 1/23/14

You Only Live Twice - YOLT not YOLO. 1/14/14

new Star Trek: Generations - I saw this on VHS when it was released but don't remember all of it. Where'd the roman numerals go? 1/23/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (33/46 completed):

1982 Sophie's Choice - I think I know the ending of this but I'm not even sure. 1/11/14

Zogo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2014

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Zogo posted:

The lead performance is very flat (with some reason) but the rest is very good.

L'Age D'Or was nuts. The sexual commentary is interesting, especially since in one scene people are revolted by a sexual act in public and later a maid dies by fire in the kitchen and a child is shot for a prank and no one really bats an eye. That notion that we've got it backwards and should be revolted by violence and not all that concerned about sexuality is something that still rings true now. My main issue with it is its lack of narrative. They're all vignettes, and each works relatively well, but it seems kind of incoherent for a good stretch. It seems like Bunuel and Dali would get bored with a direction they were taking and just start something new, and only half-formed.

I also wrote a longer analysis on All Quiet on the Western Front

LIST O SHAME:

1930s - Bringing Up Baby (1938) - Was always worried I wouldn't find it interesting or funny.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or (TOTAL: 154)

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012
Ratedargh, I want you to see 'Earrings of Madame De...' as I need someone who can recommend me movies by Ophüls.

1. Inception (2010)
2. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
3. Atlantic City (1980)
4. Band of Outsiders (1964)
5. An Affair to Remember (1957)
6. Pather Panchali (1955)
7. Ossessione (1943)
8. The Black Cat (1934)
9. The Steel Helmet (1951)
10. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

The Red Shoes is easily one of the prettiest movies I've seen. You can freeze it at any given moment and have a picture nice enough to frame and put on an exhibition. I guess it's possible to harp about the conventional plot but that would be to miss the point completely.

De-shamed: The Red Shoes

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

HonkyDong posted:

2. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

#2 for you.

House of Games - I liked this one a lot and it flew by fast. It's usually good when a character gets sucked into a new world and undergoes an evolution. And that's what happens when Margaret Ford tries to help a patient with a gambling debt. She confronts a group of gamblers and befriends the conmen herself with dire consequences.

During one of the later games I had a feeling she was getting tricked again and wondered if it would've worked better if the $80,000 con had actually been real but I don't know where the story would've gone. Ultimately the conmen seemed a little sloppy to plan that elaborate scam and then stay in the same bar bragging about it.

I've noticed there's a decent amount of 80s films that deal with this subject matter. Body Double and Body Heat are two others I've seen recently with the main characters being deceived right until the end.

Also watched:

Star Trek: Generations - This is part 7 and I still can't say I've really connected with one of the films fully. No matter how many ships or planets are destroyed it just doesn't evoke much (nothing is really known about the planet that's blown up). Another Enterprise ship is destroyed and Kirk dies twice but it didn't feel significant for some reason. I suppose Kirk meeting Picard was kind of an iconic moment.

I was a casual viewer of TNG show when growing up so I did like the intro of TNG crew on the open water. Another highlight of the film was Data being given an emotion chip. I suppose the Nexus brings up some metaphysical/existential issues but only briefly.

Procrastination (100 completed):

#104 Johnny Got His Gun - A trepidacious premise. 1/14/14

#105 To Live and Die in L.A. - A thought-provoking title. 1/23/14

new #106 The Lady Eve - Another that's been on my radar for a few years now. 1/25/14

You Only Live Twice - YOLT not YOLO. 1/14/14

new Star Trek: First Contact - The premise sounds good. 1/25/14

Roger Ebert's Top Films 1967-2012 (34/46 completed):

Zogo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 26, 2014

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012
I want to see if you like Gun Crazy as much as I do, Zogo.

Speaking of gun crazy, I saw From Dusk Till Dawn. I think I would have liked this a lot better at the age of 13. It feels like two movies rolled into one: the first half is a Tarantino road movie and the second is a Rodriguez splatterfest. Neither is very good, but Rodriguez' is more entertaining. At least it's shorter and less pompous than 'Sin City' and 'Inglorious Basterds'.

1. Inception (2010)
2. Dr. Mabuse - Der Spieler (1922)
3. Atlantic City (1980)
4. Band of Outsiders (1964)
5. An Affair to Remember (1957)
6. Pather Panchali (1955)
7. Ossessione (1943)
8. The Black Cat (1934)
9. The Steel Helmet (1951)
10. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

De-shamed: The Red Shoes, From Dusk Till Dawn

HonkyDong fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 26, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Steel Helmet for you. I just watched this myself a couple weeks ago and I thought it was terrific.

1. Days of Heaven - Haven't seen much Malick, and this one seems interesting enough.
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. The Trial - A Welles courtroom drama? I don't know why I haven't seen this
4. The Exterminating Angel - I have never seen any Bunuel
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Hoop Dreams - This is good I hear?
7. Pickpocket - I like Italian neo-realism , and I'm getting that vibe from this movie?
8. Rio Bravo - I do fancy a good western.
9. Hopscotch - Never heard of this until I stumbled across it on Criterion.
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Dr.Caligari posted:

8. Rio Bravo - I do fancy a good western.

Enjoy.

---

The Great Escape

It certainly lives up to its name. The Great Escape is basically the quintessential prison escape film, featuring all the expected ingredients: a seemingly inescepable prison, an ensemble cast where every character has a clearly defined talent, a plan that's simultaneously ludicrous and brilliant and great balance between light-hearted and dramatic moments. What sets it apart from the rest of the genre are the amazing performances across the board and the clever writing. It's great to see the plan slowly coming together, watching every step along the way. The cinematography is fantastic, especially in the second half. And then there's the music, of course. Elmer Bernstein has written a lot of great tunes over the years, but this might be his finest. Just listening to the Great Escape theme makes me want to go out and accomplish something.

The film does lose a bit of focus once they actually manage to escape, since the characters no longer work towards a common goal and their storylines essentially become separate. Then again, this does allow for some beautiful shots of the German landscape and the tension is kept continually high, so I can't really complain. I've tried to think of some more negative aspects, but I really can't find any. This is a phenomenal film that easily justifies its long running time.

And this isn't really pertinent to the review itself, but I can't get over how much Roger in his civilian outfit looks like Harry Lime from The Third Man.

2. A Streetcar named Desire (1951) - All I know about it is that it stars Marlon Brando and a woman called STELLA.

6. (new) Mad Max (1979) - I love the Fallout series, so it seems only right to watch the film that inspired them.

Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (1994), 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Great Escape (1963)

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Breathless: This movie didn't really grip me in any kind of way, but I still liked it it some kind of way. It felt like a throw-a-way film. Something you could watch at any kind of event. The acting, cinematography and dialogue was good, but not great in any kind of way.

3/5

-----

Samuel Clemes: You will watch Psycho next.

2. Slacker

3. The Uninvited

No real excuse here.

5. Sátántangó

6. Lost In Translation
Just never gotten around to it.

7. Harakiri

8. Les enfants terribles
I'm sure what I'm in for, or if I will even like itl

9. Kes

10. Mouchette
I just love Bresson.

Metropolis, M, Rashômon, Yojimbo, Låt Den Rätte Komma In, The Royal Tenenbaums, Psycho, A Fistful of Dollars, Paris, Texas, 400 Blows, Häxan, Japanese Summer: Double Suicide, Vampyr, Band of Outsiders, The Thin Red Line, Vivre Sa Vie, A Woman Under The Influence, Solaris, Breathless,
[/quote]

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Von Braun, random number generator says Satantango.

City of God was amazing. I could not take my eyes off, start to finish. This was a great story with deep, memorable characters. There's no doubt a lot that could be extracted about the drug war and class separation and the idyllic image of tropical countries that covers up a rotten core, but I was too busy being blown away to analyze it. This is brilliant. Oh, one note: Li'l Ze's death was the same as Scar's death in The Lion King. This is silly, but it made me laugh. Also, I was surprised Rocket got a happy ending- he's the only one who really made it out.

Rating: 4/4

A few days ago, I watched Ed Wood. I had both movies at the same time, but I thought I'd watch something light. That was a mistake; this is NOT a comedy. There's an essential sadness to almost every character in here- Lugosi's ending speech made me honestly cry (Landau earned his Oscar). Ed is desperate to achieve his dreams, and in the end he does, even if no one else sees it. There is a bit of comedy, but most of it is pretty dark- I laughed when Lugosi proudly stated he was the first celebrity ever admitted to rehab. I have doubts about how accurate the movie is; the climactic meeting with Orson Welles was a bit too convenient to be believable, but as a movie it works. This is probably Burton's best. This movie gives support to my thought that, in many ways, Pirates was the worst thing to happen to Johnny Depp. This is a powerful performance, and I'm not sure Depp challenges himself to this level any more.

90. Wall Street- Greed is good, I guess? I like Michael Douglas, and I don't know who else is in this movie.

93. Patton- On second thought, if I'm going to put a George C. Scott movie on here, it should really be this.

100. Top Gun- Call Kenny Loggins, 'cause we're about to head into the DANGER ZONE! Also, gay volleyball.

101. Spartacus- In the end, aren't we all Spartacus? Yeah, I know how this one ends, but that's basically it. Also, I think it's popular among labor organizers.

102. Enchanted- I love Disney movies, but I also know their problems. I think this must have come out during the period when I was too old to be in Disney's target audience and too young to admit I still liked these sorts of movies without being embarrassed.

103. Judgment at Nuremberg- I had never heard about this until Slacktivist mentioned it. Sounds interesting.

104. Colours Trilogy- I don't know what this is, but it looks good and is popular around here.

105. First Blood- Rambo, but not so "Ramboey."

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God:4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Jurgan posted:

That's quite an order Von Braun. If you haven't seen Turin Horse, I would recommend seeing how you like that first. I really liked it, but I still found Santantango daunting.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Jurgan posted:

City of God was amazing. I could not take my eyes off, start to finish. This was a great story with deep, memorable characters. There's no doubt a lot that could be extracted about the drug war and class separation and the idyllic image of tropical countries that covers up a rotten core, but I was too busy being blown away to analyze it. This is brilliant. Oh, one note: Li'l Ze's death was the same as Scar's death in The Lion King. This is silly, but it made me laugh. Also, I was surprised Rocket got a happy ending- he's the only one who really made it out.

A few days ago, I watched Ed Wood. I had both movies at the same time, but I thought I'd watch something light. That was a mistake; this is NOT a comedy. There's an essential sadness to almost every character in here- Lugosi's ending speech made me honestly cry (Landau earned his Oscar). Ed is desperate to achieve his dreams, and in the end he does, even if no one else sees it. There is a bit of comedy, but most of it is pretty dark- I laughed when Lugosi proudly stated he was the first celebrity ever admitted to rehab. I have doubts about how accurate the movie is; the climactic meeting with Orson Welles was a bit too convenient to be believable, but as a movie it works. This is probably Burton's best. This movie gives support to my thought that, in many ways, Pirates was the worst thing to happen to Johnny Depp. This is a powerful performance, and I'm not sure Depp challenges himself to this level any more.

103. Judgment at Nuremberg- I had never heard about this until Slacktivist mentioned it. Sounds interesting.

104. Colours Trilogy- I don't know what this is, but it looks good and is popular around here.

105. First Blood- Rambo, but not so "Ramboey."

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God:4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4

Survey says: Top Gun. Enjoy the DANGER ZONE.

The Godfather Pt. 2 (saw the first part but never got around to the second)
Life is Beautiful
Requiem for a Dream
Metropolis
The Elephant Man
Hotel Rwanda (read a Hotel in Kigali and well...)
Lolita (read the book, but never got around to the movie)
Vengeance is Mine
Children of Man
The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (it's a looong trilogy okay)

Watched: Gone with the Wind (5/5), No Country for Old Men (4/5)

Edit: oops

No Country for Old Men Review: I really enjoyed this film. Javier Bardem does a really good job as Cigurh. You can really feel the tension, and I watched through his scenes with much dread. Concerning the plot, I was expecting a typical High Noon ending, but was surprised to find it rather anti-climatic. It's a great ending however, and really makes you reflect a bit.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 27, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're supposed to review whatever movie you got assigned last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Rated PG-34, enjoy The Elephant Man

I said enjoyed westerns and Rio Bravo wasn't a disappointment. It is certainly one of the better John Wayne westerns I have seen, but I don't think it is quite as good as High Noon. Watching the Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and John Wayne act together in a movie was a treat in it self. 8.5/10

1. Days of Heaven - Haven't seen much Malick, and this one seems interesting enough.
2. Shoeshine - I really like De Sica.
3. The Trial - A Welles courtroom drama? I don't know why I haven't seen this
4. The Exterminating Angel - I have never seen any Bunuel
5. The 400 Blows - I've yet to see a 'new wave' French movie I actually enjoy watching. Maybe this will change it?
6. Hoop Dreams - This is good I hear
7. Pickpocket - I like Italian neo-realism , and I'm getting that vibe from this movie?
8. Stagecoach - Guess this will be my western spot on the list
9. Hopscotch - Never heard of this until I stumbled across it on Criterion.
10. What have you done to Solange? - It's been a couple months since watching a giallo..This should be fixed.

Seen: Rio Bravo 8.5/10

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2014