Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

89 posted:

My bar is pretty low lit, so I'm trying to find good stuff to illuminate our tip jars (drat broke rear end college kids on Thursdays...), anybody have any recommendations? I can't find any LED lit tip jars and I got these off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OMR2C6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put three in each jar and they just aren't bright enough. Any suggestions?

There are LED coasters that'll light up a glass. Might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

89 posted:

My bar is pretty low lit, so I'm trying to find good stuff to illuminate our tip jars (drat broke rear end college kids on Thursdays...), anybody have any recommendations? I can't find any LED lit tip jars and I got these off amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OMR2C6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put three in each jar and they just aren't bright enough. Any suggestions?

It won't work. Yelling at them about it works but your boss probably won't like it.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
The college bar I go to most frequently apparently gives out a pamphlet about proper tipping etiquette if you don't tip.

Also, I don't remember ever seeing a bar use a tipjar. I just leave the cash on the counter or hand it to the bartender directly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mr. Tibbs posted:

The college bar I go to most frequently apparently gives out a pamphlet about proper tipping etiquette if you don't tip.

Also, I don't remember ever seeing a bar use a tipjar. I just leave the cash on the counter or hand it to the bartender directly.

The jar is behind the bar, where the bartender puts tips he/she has already been given/left on the bar.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kaizoku posted:

The jar is behind the bar, where the bartender puts tips he/she has already been given/left on the bar.

At some places they have an actual tipjar on the bar. That usually says TIPJAR on it. The bartenders point at it or shake it at customers. Obviously these are bad places to work and often have a demographic of people who don't tip, but sometimes any job is better than no job.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Sheep-Goats posted:

At some places they have an actual tipjar on the bar. That usually says TIPJAR on it. The bartenders point at it or shake it at customers. Obviously these are bad places to work and often have a demographic of people who don't tip, but sometimes any job is better than no job.

Must be a cultural thing. Tip jars are common in all clubs I've been to in Canada, including the bar I presently work at. I don't point or shake at the tip jar, although sometimes I do make a point of emptying it if a group of punk 18 year olds stiff me on a large order.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Perdido posted:

Must be a cultural thing. Tip jars are common in all clubs I've been to in Canada, including the bar I presently work at. I don't point or shake at the tip jar, although sometimes I do make a point of emptying it if a group of punk 18 year olds stiff me on a large order.

When I see a tip jar about what I expect of the crowd is what you see at 1:55 in this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1i44j_rah-digga-party-and-bullshit_music

(Song is also notable for the lyrics at 1:10.)

(I worked in a place where they played that once.)

raton fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 19, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As a Canadian who tips well, I love going to bars in places that are visited by tons of people who don't tip, because when I tip as I normally would in Canada, I get hooked up with free drinks and wicked service constantly (even free bottle service one time -- what a day that was!).

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Perdido posted:

They are also commonly on the bar in Australia.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

When I see a tip jar about what I expect of the crowd is what you see at 1:55 in this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1i44j_rah-digga-party-and-bullshit_music

(Song is also notable for the lyrics at 1:10.)

(I worked in a place where they played that once.)

Heads up, bud, not every country in the world has dollar bills anymore and it's super easy to throw a dollar or two dollar coin into a jar. Also, just because there's a jar on the bar doesn't mean there can't be one on the back bar. The jars up front are in sight: in mind, and are just as quickly and easily dumped into a bigger jar/bucket behind the bar as well. I've even had people ask me how they are supposed to tip me/where is your tip jar?! before when we do big events at my bar now where we don't use tip jars. It seems to be a pretty regional kind of thing, and if don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I've never been in a bar where I've seen a tip jar and considered the place a bad bar solely because of that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Does the crowd join in on "beat that bitch with a bat" up there in Canada too?

Different customers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anybody got any suggestions for slightly unusual/obscure gin cocktails? I'm tired of drinking G&Ts or occasionally Tom Collins and I'm looking to branch out a bit. Looking for something easily drinkable and hopefully not too fruity.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Derek Agony posted:

Anybody got any suggestions for slightly unusual/obscure gin cocktails? I'm tired of drinking G&Ts or occasionally Tom Collins and I'm looking to branch out a bit. Looking for something easily drinkable and hopefully not too fruity.

A martini :colbert:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Derek Agony posted:

Floradora. It fits the obscure criteria, although the fact that it's named after a Broadway musical and is named the Floradora might be a little high on the fruit quotient for you.

You might wanna look at Pimm's Cup, too. Pimm's & soda with cucumber was a nice summer drink of mine for a while.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 21, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Derek Agony posted:

Go with the Negroni man

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
The Bees Knees. Dumb name. Seriously simple and tasty drink.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm a fan of pink gin. The Negroni is also good, but overhyped, and it's harder in the Midwest to find a bar with Campari than a bar with Plymouth.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

nrr posted:

I've never been in a bar where I've seen a tip jar and considered the place a bad bar solely because of that.

I think it says more about the bar's crowd than the bar itself.

The bar I work at, tips jars are on the bar. Our crowd is a mix of frat/sorority types and Midwest down home country folk, all between 21-24. The bars I hang out in, a tip bucket is on the back bar or somewhere under the bar. Their crowds are a lot of industry employees, people who are more interested in a good cocktail or beer rather than a packed bar, and generally people over the age of 25.

If I walk up to a bar and I don't see tip jars my immediate thought is "You lucky fucks.." and if I do see them then "Yeah, I feel your pain.."

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!
I'm a fan of Aviations. Very classic cocktail, but maybe a little impractical to make at home. So I'll go with Negroni because a bottle of Campari is not a bad thing to have in your bar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We have tip rocks for our bar. It's an outside tiki bar on the beach so it's usually windy and it helps to have rocks on the bar to keep cash secured, at the same time we have TIP ROCK written boldly on each rock to remind people that we work for tips. It works really well. We also have a bucket to put the tips in, and we hang it from the ceiling just high enough to put the money in and make it difficult for someone to try and walk away with it since we're out in the open and it would be really easy to disappear.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

There's also stuff like this that you can't get your thieving grubby hands into but has a screw top bottom so you can dump easily at the end of the night or intermittently into your main jar behind the bar.

http://www.amazon.com/Thank-You-Plastic-Bartender-Tip/dp/B001CDTMHQ

Probably doesn't help you American dudes though who are predominantly getting tipped in notes and would probably fill one of those up really quick or clog it at the neck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah that's way too small. On busy nights our bucket will overflow and we have to keep mashing it down or count it up for bigger bills, but if it's busy there usually isn't time to count it up in the middle of a shift.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Derek Agony posted:

Depends on where you are and what sort of place you are going. The Last Word has made a resurgence here in the Northwest and is pretty tasty. That said, negroni is never a bad idea.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'm not nearly hardcore enough to describe Martinis as "easily drinkable".

Perdido posted:

Floradora. It fits the obscure criteria, although the fact that it's named after a Broadway musical and is named the Floradora might be a little high on the fruit quotient for you.

You might wanna look at Pimm's Cup, too. Pimm's & soda with cucumber was a nice summer drink of mine for a while.

I think the raspberry in the Floradora would put me off but Pimm's is a good shout. Never had it with soda though, over here it usually comes with lemonade and fruit/cucumber/mint.

I'll try the Negroni through popular demand and also probably the Bee's Knees.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Pimms cup + 7up is the greatest thing. Its so basic but so nice. Way to easy to drink because its like no alcohol.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Slaapaav posted:

Pimms cup + 7up is the greatest thing. Its so basic but so nice. Way to easy to drink because its like no alcohol.

If you like that here are some other drinks without much alcohol:

Virgin Martini - olive or lemon twist, served in martini glass

New Fashioned - Sugar cube muddled with water

Mormon 75 - Lemon juice, sugar

White Russian - Kahlúa, vodka and cream

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Cloks posted:

If you like that here are some other drinks without much alcohol:

Virgin Martini - olive or lemon twist, served in martini glass

New Fashioned - Sugar cube muddled with water

Mormon 75 - Lemon juice, sugar

White Russian - Kahlúa, vodka and cream

One of these things is not like the others...

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Everyone knows The Dude doesn't drink alcohol

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Anyone else intentionally spill pints on the bar towards bar kissers to soak them in their own shame? It works a treat.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Faithless posted:

Anyone else intentionally spill pints on the bar towards bar kissers to soak them in their own shame? It works a treat.

No? Sounds like a good way to lose customers and piss people off. Depends on the venue though I guess.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Faithless posted:

I find that politely informing patrons engaged in disruptive behavior about our preferences for our guests' behavior works even better. If they persist, the doorman can express the same sentiment more succinctly.

rear end in a top hat.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I find "accidentally" throwing a beer is a good way to teach a lesson to girls who reject me too

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Bar kissers are awesome because that's 2 less people I need to worry about maintaining orders from when I'm awash in walk-ins.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
edit: lol

Stunning Honky fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 11, 2015

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Protip: if you fill your flask before you leave the house, the world is your bar and it's open.

I had a tasting with the global brand ambassador for chartreuse today and found out something interesting and awesome that I wasn't aware of. Chartreuse actually continues to age after its bottled. As far as I know, it's the only spirit/liqueur that does so. What that means though, is that if you find an old bottle of chartreuse then snap it up. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of you had a bottle that's maybe 10+ years old in your bars. It really mellows out and gets a lot more delicate with age.

NY crew might have known about this, as there's a guy over there specifically collecting chartreuse in his bar and selling a whole range of it dating back to the 40's or so. Either way, the concept itself is really interesting and I'm really curious what causes the aging to continue and if there's a way to replicate it. He said that the monks have discovered a way to get that natural green color extraction from the herbs/spices/etc that they use, without any added colorings at all, and they're the only distillery in the world to have discovered a method to do it. I'm guessing maybe the residual plant and vegetable matter from the color extraction might have something to do with it. Either way it's really cool and kind of exciting (to this nerd, anyway) to think that there is 30, 40, 50, even 60+ year old bottles out there that are not kept under lock and key by the distillery, but sitting in someone's grandmas liquor cabinet or something, just waiting to be discovered.

So how do you date your bottles? On the metal seal just under the cap, there's a number printed. Take the first 3 years of that number and add them to the year the monastery/order was founded: 1084. That is the year it was distilled. The last three numbers are the day of that year. So a number of 926045 would be distilled in early march of 2010.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Of course the last guy in the bar, so drunk that he couldn't hold his pen to sign his tab, bucks up at the door guy when asked to leave, sloppily attempts to fight the staff as he is being shown the exit, breaks the glass on the front door after you toss him in the street and lock the door in his face. Of course he does.

Luckily I'm already on the phone with the dispatcher when this happens. They love us, so the squad car is there in about 90 seconds and my coworker already has him in a full nelson. Asked why he's being cuffed, and denying that he caused any damage, my buddy spins him around to look at the spiderweb fractures. "Oh poo poo," he says. Dude sobered up pretty quick after that. Enjoy your night in the drunk tank, dumbass.

Any of y'all press charges for poo poo like that? To my knowledge we never do as long as they pay for the damage and understand they're permanently 86ed. Although one of our old door guys told me that while he doesn't think most drunk troublemakers need a criminal record, he did press charges against one guy with the intention of never going to court. Just made the guy hire a lawyer, waste his time and his money, and told them he couldn't appear in court for a while before dropping the charge.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wasn't working that night, but a drunk dumbass thought it would be a good idea to empty a fire extinguisher in the bathroom. I'm pretty sure the police were called and charges were laid, even though he paid for damages.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

mooyashi posted:

Of course the last guy in the bar, so drunk that he couldn't hold his pen to sign his tab, bucks up at the door guy when asked to leave, sloppily attempts to fight the staff as he is being shown the exit, breaks the glass on the front door after you toss him in the street and lock the door in his face. Of course he does.

Luckily I'm already on the phone with the dispatcher when this happens. They love us, so the squad car is there in about 90 seconds and my coworker already has him in a full nelson. Asked why he's being cuffed, and denying that he caused any damage, my buddy spins him around to look at the spiderweb fractures. "Oh poo poo," he says. Dude sobered up pretty quick after that. Enjoy your night in the drunk tank, dumbass.

Any of y'all press charges for poo poo like that? To my knowledge we never do as long as they pay for the damage and understand they're permanently 86ed. Although one of our old door guys told me that while he doesn't think most drunk troublemakers need a criminal record, he did press charges against one guy with the intention of never going to court. Just made the guy hire a lawyer, waste his time and his money, and told them he couldn't appear in court for a while before dropping the charge.

We press charges if there is injury to staff. Otherwise, around here, your probably going to Detox which is like a 400 dollar medical bill and they won't let you go until you blow 0.00 on a breathalyzer. Get dropped at 3am Sunday morning with a .2 and you are gonna reaaaal lucky to make it to work Monday morning.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

odiv posted:

I wasn't working that night, but a drunk dumbass thought it would be a good idea to empty a fire extinguisher in the bathroom. I'm pretty sure the police were called and charges were laid, even though he paid for damages.

We had a guy pull our emergency system in the kitchen. That was a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Haha oh god, the door to the basement where the walkin, ice machine etc. were located used to be a handle. Said door was right across from the Men's room. After an unfortunate incident of a dude leaning on the door, dropping the handle with his butt and taking a drunken surf down the metal stairs, it was quickly replaced with a knob.

• Locked thread