Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

so in Bravely Default are you # of attacks tied to both class level and actual level? Going through the demo and at level 12 a new ninja character hits 3x (per hand) at most.

FF13's battle system evolved out from Last Remnant's.

I'm pretty sure (but not 100% certain) that your job level determines the maximum number of attacks you do, so at job level 5 you do 5 attacks, 10 you do 10, and so forth. Bear in mind that some of these attacks can miss so you may do fewer, depending on your accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I had a theory that SE was hoping the FFXIII trilogy would mirror Mass Effect.

You have your first game that ends in a way that doesn't directly warrant a sequel, the second entry which changes up a few things and ends on a cliffhanger, and then a third game that tries to go back to the 'magic' of the first game and has a horrible stupid ending to finish things off. :v:

Add in their direct marketing tie-in DLC in 2 and...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShadeofDante posted:

You have your first game that ends in a way that doesn't directly warrant a sequel, the second entry which changes up a few things and ends on a cliffhanger, and then a third game that tries to go back to the 'magic' of the first game and has a horrible stupid ending to finish things off. :v:

Add in their direct marketing tie-in DLC in 2 and...

At least the endings of both trilogies are the same: terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I kind of like the 13-3 ending.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Endorph posted:

In FF13, you can save the game, turn the game off, run around in circles because it makes Lightning's hair jerk around weirdly, or start a battle and then just listen to Blinded by Light for five hours. Choices!
Don't care that you're being sarcastic, the last option is the one I pick, forever. I think it's actually my favorite FF battle music ever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Don't care that you're being sarcastic, the last option is the one I pick, forever. I think it's actually my favorite FF battle music ever.

Desperate Struggle is also really great.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

I kind of like the 13-3 ending.
I also like it, but for all the wrong reasons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I neither particularly like nor dislike it from what I saw. It appears to be a completely generic JRPG ending which is why I don't quite get the hubub over it. It's an ending. It exists. That's about the kindest or worst thing I can say about it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently SEs latest f2p DQ iOS game is a massive revenue hog generating more than a million dollars every day. Its number two right now on the top revenue charts on iOS on japan right now. If you were asking why SE is chasing the mobile golden goose in japan so hard, there it is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ShadeofDante posted:

Sadly, FFXIII trilogy has no Wrex tier character to make any of it decent.
Thinking on it, I feel all three games would be improved if the dialogue consisted solely of "Lightning" "Snow" "Hope" "Sazh" "Lightning" "Fang" "Vanille" "Serah" "Baby Chocobo".

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Apparently SEs latest f2p DQ iOS game is a massive revenue hog generating more than a million dollars every day. Its number two right now on the top revenue charts on iOS on japan right now. If you were asking why SE is chasing the mobile golden goose in japan so hard, there it is.

That's Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light, right? I remember talking about it a few months ago. It's been an adrenaline shot for them:

quote:

Square Enix Holdings' share price highest in over four years

On 24 January, Square Enix Holding's share price reached its maximum allowable single-day gain of 400 yen to finish the day's trading at 2,081 yen. This is the company's highest share price in over four years. The gains are partly attributed to Square Enix's 23 January release of Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light.

The first in the long-running spin-off franchise to be developed from the ground-up for smartphones and tablets, Super Light has been a hit with iOS users, leaping to fifth place in the sales rankings under the App Store games category.

News of the title's success drove up the share price of Square Enix as well as that of Cyber Agent, whose subsidiary Cygames (itself part-owned by DeNA) developed Super Light.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Big+in+Japan/news.asp?c=56873

The game itself is like Dragon Warrior Monsters with a heavy coat of Puzzle & Dragons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Aurain posted:

Thinking on it, I feel all three games would be improved if the dialogue consisted solely of "Lightning" "Snow" "Hope" "Sazh" "Lightning" "Fang" "Vanille" "Serah" "Baby Chocobo".

I don't know much about Mass Effect, but XIII could have been saved if it was all Sazh, all the time. He's the only character we can relate to in this overly-emotional group of anime characters.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Played through the demo for LR, pretty fun I thought. Kind of blanked the story because it's a demo and I don't care just yet, but it seems nice to have a character calling out how dumb the plot seems. Also Chaos Chaos Chaos Chaos shutthefuckupHope.

Anyway, finally I can beat up all the monsters with a neon pink Dragoon. Five-Starred that punk dragon twice as well, battle system was fun and pretty hectic. Grabbed one of those Enfrost potions from the dude because I assumed it meant there'd be some Ice weak boss. But actually the second battle without that went better. Got a better score at least, I think knowing how to deal with the dragon was more important than being able to hit his weakness.

When customisation opened up I immediately put shades on all the costumes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aurain posted:

Caius. Dude's Hammy in all the right ways.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ Liam O'Brien is fantastic at chewing up the scenery. He was the perfect fit for Caius.

McDragon posted:

Played through the demo for LR, pretty fun I thought. Kind of blanked the story because it's a demo and I don't care just yet, but it seems nice to have a character calling out how dumb the plot seems. Also Chaos Chaos Chaos Chaos shutthefuckupHope.

Anyway, finally I can beat up all the monsters with a neon pink Dragoon. Five-Starred that punk dragon twice as well, battle system was fun and pretty hectic. Grabbed one of those Enfrost potions from the dude because I assumed it meant there'd be some Ice weak boss. But actually the second battle without that went better. Got a better score at least, I think knowing how to deal with the dragon was more important than being able to hit his weakness.

When customisation opened up I immediately put shades on all the costumes.

It's going to be either the shades or the stache on every costume for me, unless there are some particularly cool hats.

Just for fun, what are the best times/scores people here have gotten on the dragon? I never used any of the buff potions, but my best was I think 1:16 with around 130k score, using black mage, dragoon, and dark muse all in their default setups. I guess you could probably get that down a little lower by using the buff potions putting deprotect on the black mage instead of the fire spell and punt instead of charged attack on the dragoon, if it lets you do that. Doesn't seem like you'd be able to go too much below a minute on it, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Caius was OK, but he wasn't a Wrex.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Aurain posted:

Caius was OK, but he wasn't a Wrex.
I'll give him a Garrus, tops. :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I'll give him a Garrus, tops. :v:

But Garrus is better than Wrex? Like the date/hang out with Garrus where you're just shooting skeet in the Presidium in 3 is probably one of the best scene in the series.

Only if you let him win though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Objectively untrue.
Wrex is the best Mass Effect character.
That scene does rule though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

But Garrus is better than Wrex? Like the date/hang out with Garrus where you're just shooting skeet in the Presidium in 3 is probably one of the best scene in the series.

Only if you let him win though.

Garrus never does anything anywhere as cool as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGt_1rNsf0

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Garrus never does anything anywhere as cool as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGt_1rNsf0

How could they have messed up the perfect opportunity for "Shepard." "Wrex."?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's really sad that Caius is the best the series can muster. Some dude who has the power to have every power and carries around a korean knockoff Soul Edge is The Guy?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

chumbler posted:

I was just thinking that, talk about a wasted opportunity! Still a great scene though, shame the main campaign was so thoroughly humourless.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

chumbler posted:

They made up for it in the DLC's post-game content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6iDczCDOI

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

It's really sad that Caius is the best the series can muster. Some dude who has the power to have every power and carries around a korean knockoff Soul Edge is The Guy?

For FF13 he is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It used to be Space Pope then Square realized for 13-2 they had to outdo Scott Bullock in scenery chewing so they got they got the only guy who could do it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It used to be Space Pope then Square realized for 13-2 they had to outdo Scott Bullock in scenery chewing so they got they got the only guy who could do it.

To be fair, if you let Troy Baker loose he could rival O'Brien.

Or pay the 50$ and rent out DAN MOTHER loving GREEN for the day.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 27, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
On a more serious note, as far as "The Guy's" go in FF games, Caius is fine. He's dramatic as hell and has one of the nuttiest plans ever, but overall he's made out to be a big deal and comes off as a big enough threat that he should kind of be the guy of the FF13. Really the main dude is more like Bhunivelze considering he's behind everything in the Universe of FF13. As far as like a human central antagonist goes, Caius is actually one of the few well handled things in 13's story aside from how convoluted his plan is. Considering 13-2 was based around time travel there was no in hell it would be anything other than a complete loving mess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I could appreciate Caius more if he didn't look like a thrift store ate a rainbow and then poo poo him out.

I mean, even more so than usual for FF designs.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Snow wears normal person clothes in 13-3, and everyone thinks it's such a bold and fascinating choice that when he ascends to godhood (as FF villains do) his suit becomes the iconic uniform of his followers, and that's why everyone wears suits in FF15 which is about a group of Snowist crusaders looking for Lightning (who is missing in time again).

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I could appreciate Caius more if he didn't look like a thrift store ate a rainbow and then poo poo him out.

Caius is a beautiful man and you are simply not fashion forward enough to appreciate him :colbert:. What other FF villains are secure enough to go with a purple tiger striped bandana, purple hair, and hair beads rather than generic white hair?

But yeah, I can't help but like Caius. Hamming it up and being fabulous should be the most important parts of being a FF villain, and I like that he has a constant presence in the game, good theme music, and a motivation that is personal and makes sense but is taken to extremes rather than being evil just because. His plan essentially means that he wins regardless of your actions because he is the central McGuffin himself, and I'm just a sucker for boss fights that are just a fight against a dude wherever you happened to run into him. Turning into 4 different :kamina: bahamuts is cool, but I wish that the actual final fight with him had been the one on the beach. In some ways he is kind of a parallel of Auron.

As an aside, I wish that Toriyama had instead been in love with Sazh so that the entire 13 series could have been about him instead of Lightning. 13-2 would have been dad fight and it would have been great. Chocolina could have replaced Noel and nothing would be lost. 13-3 would have afro styling for the coolest man on cocoon/pulse. Basically Sazh makes everything better.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 27, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

For FF13 he is.

Like I said, that really speaks to the low quality of the series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Defiance Industries posted:

Like I said, that really speaks to the low quality of the series.

I'm still amazed at just how much of a clusterfuck it is. And that it turned a fairly reasonable character, into some guy's wank fantasy. And poo poo all over the original premise it created in favour of wacky time-travel high jinks, and the "Lightning is dress-up Messiah" nonsense that Lightning Returns is getting up to.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So, did you rike it?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Played the Lightning Returns demo, liked it. People are going to misunderstand that battle system and hate the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
While I get what you're saying when you say that, at first I didn't and on behalf of that misunderstanding I'll reply.

Not getting the mechanics and disliking the game are not mutually exclusive.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

XIII-2 and now Lightning Returns are pretty much just something to keep me occupied until Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III come out. Both of the development teams are trying to one-up each other with crazy game mechanics, so I'm sure they're going to be a lot of fun. It's silly to speculate what Disney worlds will be in the third game, but II had TRON and Pirates of the Caribbean, so anything could happen.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

XIII-2 and now Lightning Returns are pretty much just something to keep me occupied until Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III come out. Both of the development teams are trying to one-up each other with crazy game mechanics, so I'm sure they're going to be a lot of fun. It's silly to speculate what Disney worlds will be in the third game, but II had TRON and Pirates of the Caribbean, so anything could happen.

Now that Disney owns Star Wars, Death Star world with a lightsaber keyblade and a keyhole in the exhaust port.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

morallyobjected posted:

Now that Disney owns Star Wars, Death Star world with a lightsaber keyblade and a keyhole in the exhaust port.
You forget that Nomura is at the helm. You won't get Han shooting first; you're going to get "Solo chaaaaaaaaan :allears:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Ate a Rainbow? The Dudes Black and Purple. Hardly the rainbow nightmare circus of, say, literally every Amano design.