Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

HorseRenoir posted:

Nice ending, but couldn't they have just gone to an AU where the cure worked and everyone lived, and just took the cure back with them?

Rick would probably deem that to be pointless busywork when they're already in a perfectly good universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

xanthan posted:

Wow. That was certainly an ending.

How is Rick so chill about this?

Who knows how many times he's already had to do that? :tinfoil:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That was loving amazing.

I beginning to wonder if the season finale will have Morty's parents deciding to divorce because an inordinate amount of episodes so far have focused on their marital troubles with really nothing to come of it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Did anyone else think the animation looked a lot smoother this episode? It looked fantastic.

This was a great episode. Tough to match up to last week. But Jesus, that ending was phenomenal.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

xanthan posted:

Wow. That was certainly an ending.

How is Rick so chill about this?

I'm wondering how many Morty he has watched die but am thinking about it and actually going to go with the idea that he does not let Morty die because Morty is legitimately the one person he cares about even while being a dick.

hcreight posted:

Rick would probably deem that to be pointless busywork when they're already in a perfectly good universe.

"Oh, s-so you trust me now Morty? How f-forgiving of you considering that you've done nothing but judge my other attempts to fix the situation."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well that certainly owned real hard

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, so that happened. Wow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

My DVR decided this wasn't a new episode. Thankfully I caught it and manually recorded. What the gently caress, Cox?

Tribune Media Services (provides guide data to nearly all providers) has been messed up for a few days now. They don't have Rick and Morty flagged as new. My Verizon DVR would have missed it too had I not noticed.

What's really odd is Colbert had a guest last week talking about voles and oxytocin and how that makes them mate for life.

The sound mixed sounded messed up to me. Dialog was clear, but no effects had punch. For example, you could barely hear the shotgun.

Sound mix has been messed up on [as] since at least yesterday in a different way. Center channel is coming out of the left rear channel. This has been happening on anything that's not native 5.1 ( commercials, older SD shows).

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

So I think this was supposed to be the second episode and they bumped it up according to some interview, which makes sense to me, the humor didn't feel quite as developed as the last two.

Love the show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I loved the subtle joke for the TV show.

"I'm pregnant, what's the worst that can happen?"

"We interrupt 'My Pregnant Baby' for this report."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Holy mother of god that was a hosed up episode. Loved it!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

bull3964 posted:

The sound mixed sounded messed up to me. Dialog was clear, but no effects had punch. For example, you could barely hear the shotgun.
I was noticing the same thing during the episode (DC Metro FiOS here.) The dialog was fine, but everything else sounded like it was either not done or placeholder sound effects. I don't have surround (I have sound coming out of my TV speakers like a dweeb) but I can corroborate the other stuff.

Otherwise, though, I *loved* how dark that ending got. That was a sick gently caress way to end that episode. If only they hadn't tried to tidy it up with the last little stinger there. It felt like an unnecessary counterbalance to the original point that the world is sometimes super hosed up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
As a big Cronenberg fan I liked this episode a lot.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

If your sounds all messed up I feel for you. But here's the Adult swim YouTube with a nice 1080p version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SutlAKqlmNo

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Anyone curious about the song at the end, it's "Look On Down From The Bridge" by Mazzy Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVXkM_YxMg

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really liked Rick pointing out that love potions are basically roofies and are immoral :colbert:.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

This loving show is just too good.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
This is the darkest timeline. drat.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Yeah, seriously. This show rules and I *really* hope it goes on for a long time. Forever Rick and Morty dot com.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I never thought I'd laugh so much at a 14 year old coming face to face with his own brutal mortality. This show has a ton of existential themes and mines the humor out of the absurdity of the brief human existence like nothing I've ever seen. It's like if Sartre wrote jokes.

In the first episode there's a brief gag when they are running from the bug dudes, where Morty inhales some weird drug and coughs out a cloud that becomes a being that grows old and dies in the span of like three seconds, and as the significance of that begins to dawn on Morty, Rick's all "Don't think about it". They called back to that here, I love that it's becoming a running gag.

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 28, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I really liked Rick pointing out that love potions are basically roofies and are immoral :colbert:.

Agreed. Really glad they addressed that head on.

The ending felt good enough to be season finale, and yet it's only episode five. No idea how they're going to top Morty burying his own corpse after being forced to abandon his family in a post apocalyptic hellscape, but I'm sure they'll find a way.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
How is this thread not blowing up? (Pun intended.) This is my new favorite show. This episode was incredible on so many levels, I can't believe it. Jesus was the ending dark... and I was laughing the whole time.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

semiavrage posted:

How is this thread not blowing up? (Pun intended.) This is my new favorite show. This episode was incredible on so many levels, I can't believe it. Jesus was the ending dark... and I was laughing the whole time.

Dan Harmon is a pretty divisive figure around these parts, so I'd imagine a lot of people are hesitant to give another show he's attached to a shot. Plus new Adult Swim shows are easy to miss out on unless you already watch a lot of Adult Swim/the other cable networks they advertise on.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Jesus Christ that loving ending.

Even in this potentially new universe they're in there's bound to be a whole bunch of people who died during the Cronenberg Apocalypse.

I love this show.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Agreed. Really glad they addressed that head on.

The ending felt good enough to be season finale, and yet it's only episode five. No idea how they're going to top Morty burying his own corpse after being forced to abandon his family in a post apocalyptic hellscape, but I'm sure they'll find a way.

I kinda think that Jerry and Beth's marriage is going to end, or come really close. That and Morty having to grapple with the idea of death seem to be the running stories.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zoux posted:

I never thought I'd laugh so much at a 14 year old coming face to face with his own brutal mortality.

It was the biggest laugh I've had for a long time, I'm laughing again just thinking of the expression on his face. :v:

semiavrage posted:

How is this thread not blowing up? (Pun intended.)

I'm pushing this show on my friends so hard I'm starting to get abusive. "Just watch it you loving idiots! What the gently caress is wrong with you? gently caress!!"

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Pick posted:

Yeah, glad they took that head on. God Morty is gonna be totally hosed in the head if he ever makes it to adulthood. He's learning almost every important life lesson the hard way and in single nights.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Wow that was outstandingly dark and horrifying and great.

This really is just the best show.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah, glad they took that head on. God Morty is gonna be totally hosed in the head if he ever makes it to adulthood. He's learning almost every important life lesson the hard way and in single nights.

That was the old Morty, he's dead now. :v:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Pick posted:

I figured it was gonna be another "hilarious love potion hijinx" deal but yeah, rick straight up called him on it. though I guess it says a lot about rick that he keeps them around.

"This isn't game of thrones!", the Cronenberg jokes, and Summer reenacting Jaws were all great too.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Where was the budget to have a good old Mountain Goats song during the depressing ending?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
God drat. I loving love this show. It's just so satisfying.

"Thank God? God's the one turning people into insect monsters. I'm the one beating them to death."

"What about the reality where Hitler killed cancer, Morty? The answer is don't think about it."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waltzing Along posted:

"What about the reality where Hitler killed cancer, Morty? The answer is don't think about it."

It's becoming pretty clear why Rick became an alcoholic nihilist if he's done this sort of thing before. And if he can only do it another 3 or 4 times then he's done it a whooooooooole lot of times by now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Jesus Christ that loving ending.

Even in this potentially new universe they're in there's bound to be a whole bunch of people who died during the Cronenberg Apocalypse.

I love this show.

Nah, things obviously went a little different from the episode we saw since Jerry and Beth were still fighting. So Jerry probably didn't leave the house during the whole monster thing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Somehow, this show outdid the deeply disturbing attempted rape scene in the span of a week. Rick & Morty's probably the best show on TV right now.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's becoming pretty clear why Rick became an alcoholic nihilist if he's done this sort of thing before. And if he can only do it another 3 or 4 times then he's done it a whooooooooole lot of times by now.

If they ever get to have a clear ending to this show I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like Morty being as apethetic about everything (well almost everything) like his grandad.

I mean, how many times can Morty bury his own corpse and kill his parents before he picks up the bottle too?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think that was more of a writer's joke. They can only do that kind of concept a couple times before it becomes tired as an easy way of writing yourself out of a situation.

Or, to make it into a Community reference, you can only do paintball so many times.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tokubetsu posted:

I mean, how many times can Morty bury his own corpse and kill his parents before he picks up the bottle too?

They weren't his real family! They were clones from an alternate reality possessed by demonic alien spirits from another dimensions's future!

I agree with everyone who's guessed that Rick's apathy towards the world is because he's jumped ship possibly dozens of times.

Fooz posted:

So I think this was supposed to be the second episode and they bumped it up according to some interview, which makes sense to me, the humor didn't feel quite as developed as the last two.

I swear, if they had actually shown this as the second episode, I would have lost my mind. But I'm glad they gave us a chance to get used to the family before 'replacing' them. It helps puts us in Morty's shoes at the end where he's walking around stunned looking at the world which is simultaneously his home and utterly alien.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 28, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I use Chronenberg as a verb whenever I try and write a body horror scene in a short film.:v: So I was happy to hear that. So I was already laughing at the body horror stuff, and then when they called "Chronenbergs"...loving killed me.

But gently caress man. That ending. This show is now the king of tonal changes. Absolutely incredible.

Probably my favorite episode so far. I was actually taken a back when Rick and Morty died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

The Hemingway joke was great.

• Locked thread