Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Turns out he knows a friend of mine from uni. I'm guessing they know each other through theatre work since she did Drama and English as her undergrad degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
God drat it NZ

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Vagabundo posted:

Turns out he knows a friend of mine from uni. I'm guessing they know each other through theatre work since she did Drama and English as her undergrad degrees.

Tim???

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

She is married to a Tim.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

pizzaman5000 posted:

God drat it NZ

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm pretty sure that every Kiwi that posts in this thread have social circles that overlap significantly.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

pizzaman5000 posted:

woah poo poo you flat with him? I went to high school with him

Haha, God dammit New Zealand

E: woah, jinx or something

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Vagabundo posted:

I'm pretty sure that every Kiwi that posts in this thread have social circles that overlap significantly.

New Zealand. Where some guy from an internet forum is Facebook friends with your ex-girlfriend.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Tasmania is worse for this kind of thing.

cos we're all related! :rimshot:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Doctor Cave posted:

Tasmania is worse for this kind of thing.

cos we're all related! :rimshot:

Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy

Stop it dad

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
*uncle dad

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

snaeksikn posted:

*uncle dad

Uncle Dad Brother

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

India are a tier 3 side away from the comfort of their flat home wickets, the tossers.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Hopefully we bowl like aggressive maniacs next summer. They have already weaselled out of the WACA but the Gabba is probably a better pace wicket these days anyway.

That said I wouldn't be shocked if Cricket Australia gives India some nice and flat wickets.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
People keep blaming the Indian batsmen for losses away from home, but they've done quite well, both in South Africa and here. It's the poo poo seamers who keep losing matches. At home India win because they can actually take wickets with their spinners.
People like Aaron are picked because he can bowl at 140+ as if that's an achievement in itself. There have been many theories why India can't produce really fast bowlers. Unlike batting or spin its not much of an acquired skill, rather about the constitution and strength. With all their millions the BCCI can surely develop a program to just follow whatever training and diet the Pakistani bowlers are following and see how that works.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I imagine (I am not Indian nor have I ever been there) its less fashionable to be a pace bowler compared to a batsman or a spinner over there. Also the pitches aren't exactly pace friendly. It would be bloody murder to have to toil away on Indian wickets.

Its like Australia and offspinners.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 28, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cricinfo quotes posted:

Whenever we have played with four fast bowlers, two things happen. One the captain gets banned, two we lose.
- MS Dhoni's reasons for sticking with two spinners overseas

They do seem pretty effective at killing off seamers. Maybe the IPL is secretly a plan to ruin everyone elses' as well.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Reminder India have never in their history produced a single great fast bowler despite being a cricket-mad nation of 1 billion+. gently caress, they've never produced a great medium pacer either.

(Kapil Dev was a great all-rounder, not a great bowler).

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Also the pitches aren't exactly pace friendly. It would be bloody murder to have to toil away on Indian wickets.

This doesn't explain why Pakistan produce great fast bowlers regularly despite playing on even flatter wickets than the Indians. The explanation I've read for them is that it forces the bowlers to become insanely good at swing bowling to even stand a chance of taking a wicket in those conditions. Which does make sense because all of their greatest quicks have been swing bowlers.

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 28, 2014

Mancubus
Jun 29, 2011

I imagine (I am not Indian nor have I ever been there) its less fashionable to be a pace bowler compared to a batsman or a spinner over there. Also the pitches aren't exactly pace friendly. It would be bloody murder to have to toil away on Indian wickets.

Its the reverse of Australia and offspinners.

As an Indian who is from there this is broadly true. It's not just pace bowlers though. All bowling is kind of frowned upon. Everyone in India wants to be a batsman. When people think of Kapil Dev, they don't really talk about his ability to take wickets, they talk about his ability to bat more.

Spinners aren't considered all that important either. Kumble isn't considered very important or worth mentioning. He's been allowed to disappear into obscurity. He was never too good a batsman.

While I'm venting about all of this, I might as well mention that no one hates the BCCI more than people in India.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It's interesting what you say about spinners. In Australia in my experience kids do want to bat firstly but being able to bowl really fast is also pretty desirable.

Also another board down with New Zealand cricket looking like they will sign off. Sneedon did say it's getting new Zealand more games against the big three so I don't know what has been agreed as far as future scheduling. Guess we will have to wait and see.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Quanta posted:

(Kapil Dev was a great all-rounder, not a great bowler).

Maybe but he was a bowler who could bat. All his bowling stats are at worst Very Good going to excellent. 434 wickets @ 29 on the kind of pitches he played on most? Pretty drat good. Batting, merely passable. Average of 31.

quote:

This doesn't explain why Pakistan produce great fast bowlers regularly despite playing on even flatter wickets than the Indians. The explanation I've read for them is that it forces the bowlers to become insanely good at swing bowling to even stand a chance of taking a wicket in those conditions. Which does make sense because all of their greatest quicks have been swing bowlers.

While they didnt invent reverse swing, it certainly became a Pakistan bowlers best weapon and they developed the art and now we are getting to the point where if a fast bowler cant reverse the ball, they are poo poo. See : current crop of Aussie bowlers, where they can all reverse even with a Kookaburra. Even more so given drop in pitches are abrasive and perfect to get the ball into a condition where it will reverse.

Mancubus
Jun 29, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

Maybe but he was a bowler who could bat. All his bowling stats are at worst Very Good going to excellent. 434 wickets @ 29 on the kind of pitches he played on most? Pretty drat good. Batting, merely passable. Average of 31.

While they didnt invent reverse swing, it certainly became a Pakistan bowlers best weapon and they developed the art and now we are getting to the point where if a fast bowler cant reverse the ball, they are poo poo. See : current crop of Aussie bowlers, where they can all reverse even with a Kookaburra. Even more so given drop in pitches are abrasive and perfect to get the ball into a condition where it will reverse.

But the point is that he's primarily remembered for two things, a match against the equivalent of Zimbabwe in the 1983 World Cup where he made about 175 after India were 5/17 and his catch to dismiss Vivian Richards in the final of that World Cup. More importantly, he retired about 20 years back. People who're getting into the team now have never seen him play.

Another factor is the introduction of India to cricket. India (and all the sub-continent teams) have never been very good at sports. But suddenly India won the world cup in 1983 despite being massive underdogs. India were competitive on the world stage. It was a big deal. Ever since then, the average Indian viewer of cricket has been fascinated by one day and other limited overs cricket.

On the other hand, Pakistan were competitive in cricket well before this. They managed to produce Imran Khan who was a matchwinner. Also important, he lived a glamorous life with a hot wife which everyone aspired to. He was the picture of an educated English speaking rich national idol who everyone liked.

On the other hand, Kapil Dev has always been a bit rural. He doesn't speak English very well and he doesn't live a particularly glamorous lifestyle. The closest person to fit that mould was Gavaskar who unfortunately was a batsman. So there are a lot more people inspired by Gavaskar and subsequently Tendulkar.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

It's interesting what you say about spinners. In Australia in my experience kids do want to bat firstly but being able to bowl really fast is also pretty desirable.
Yeah. I gather though that some do work on their spin bowling as it may get them picked as an option, as long as their batting is decent too.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

sweeroy posted:

Did anyone actually follow the BBL to the end? It sort of fell off my radar and everyone stopped talking about it/watching it

It hasn't actually finished yet. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to have a week break between the last round and the semi-finals. The major issue with the BBL is it goes on for about a month too long and is right in the middle of the other domestic competitions.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Sad_Fields.jpg

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Not gonna lie. Had a rather unpleasant tingle at seeing that. Similar to the feeling of waking up from a nightmare and being confused over whether it was real or not.

Luckily I still live in the blissful 5-0 reality.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Airstream Driver posted:

It hasn't actually finished yet. For some reason they thought it was a good idea to have a week break between the last round and the semi-finals. The major issue with the BBL is it goes on for about a month too long and is right in the middle of the other domestic competitions.

I guess they desperately didn't want 2 games on at the same time because tv money or something. It just seemed to be doomed to failure with people paying good money to players who never actually played because they were called up for the ashes.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Interesting perspective re: Indian cricket, thanks.

Am at the Twenty20, couldn't leave work early enough for the women's. Members was chockers thanks to the old stand being demolished for the new Western stand (which I will be sitting in for the world cup), but they gave the overflow tickets to the southern stand. I'm pretty happy about that because I don't have to guard a spot.

great story granddad.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

gabensraum posted:

Interesting perspective re: Indian cricket, thanks.

Am at the Twenty20, couldn't leave work early enough for the women's. Members was chockers thanks to the old stand being demolished for the new Western stand (which I will be sitting in for the world cup), but they gave the overflow tickets to the southern stand. I'm pretty happy about that because I don't have to guard a spot.

great story granddad.

Noice. Wish I was there. I didn't get a Bellerieve trip this summer.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Haven't seen much cricket this year, what with half of the domestic season in Sydney. Probably should have come to see Hobart.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I've convinced some friends (we're all Americans) to come over and they're cricket for the first time (It's 12:22AM here). I figured a T20 was about the longest they could endure.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I just got back from coaching a bunch of 10 year olds, and can definitively say that T20 has ruined a generation of batspeople.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

The Job Creators posted:

I just got back from coaching a bunch of 10 year olds, and can definitively say that T20 has ruined a generation of batspeople.

Can I assume that you're insinuating that the kids aren't developing patience, deftness, etc? Maybe you're coaching Australia's first truly fantastic Major League Baseball player and you don't even realize it! :)

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 29, 2014

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Are Australia dressed in black or is my tele just really poo poo?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Airstream Driver posted:

No, that's the KFC.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Aren't all kids U10 poo poo at batting? In my 2 seasons of U10 cricket I made 3 runs in 20 games but then I figured it out a couple of years later.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
a 57 meter boundary, they aren't even pretending anymore.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's the reverse sweeps. So many reverse sweeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Airstream Driver posted:

Maybe we're really watching NZ vs Canada.

• Locked thread