Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

cov-hog posted:

I've been dreaming about hiking the West Coast Trail since I first saw photos from someone's trip years ago. I'm graduating this summer and my friend is getting married in Vancouver this August, so it seems like this would be the perfect opportunity to make this happen.

However, I'm a novice backpacker -- as in I've only really gone car camping and day hiking before. And I'm really slow. And I'll be by myself. I've always been pretty athletic so I'm not terribly worried about endurance, but I also really don't have any frame of reference to even think that, I suppose. The hike "should" take 5-7 days (47 miles); I don't mind if I take longer, because of the aforementioned slowness. I do have decent, light and synthetic gear so I'm mostly set up for that, and I have plenty of time train and to do smaller hikes locally before I go.

Every resource I read about this trail, though, says to not do it if it's your first hike. Has anyone here hiked the WCT? What would I be getting myself into, if I can even score a reservation slot? Am I an idiot for even considering this hike? I'm in love with it and I have the time and a little bit of money to make it happen.

I did it this summer and I probably would probably not recommend it for your first hike for a number of reasons but it is certainly possible to do so if you are motivated to. If you are fit and are used to camping/hiking then it would not be all that much of a stretch, it seems like many people who do it are on their first trip like this. The problem is that you may not be able to fully enjoy the scenery if all you are doing is concentrating on getting to the next campsite. An alternative I would recommend is the Jaun du fuca trail (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/juan_de_fuca/), it is very similar (starts/ends in the same "town" as the WCT starts/ends), is shorter, cheaper and you can get you can bail out pretty easily if you need to, I would also argue the scenery is just as spectacular even if there is not quiet as much of it. I actually enjoyed my time on the Jaun du fuca more than the west coast trail, I found it less busy and since it was a bit easier/shorter days there was more time to take in the scenery.

If you have any specific questions I have done a fair bit of hiking in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

cov-hog posted:

I've been dreaming about hiking the West Coast Trail since I first saw photos from someone's trip years ago. I'm graduating this summer and my friend is getting married in Vancouver this August, so it seems like this would be the perfect opportunity to make this happen.

However, I'm a novice backpacker -- as in I've only really gone car camping and day hiking before. And I'm really slow. And I'll be by myself. I've always been pretty athletic so I'm not terribly worried about endurance, but I also really don't have any frame of reference to even think that, I suppose. The hike "should" take 5-7 days (47 miles); I don't mind if I take longer, because of the aforementioned slowness. I do have decent, light and synthetic gear so I'm mostly set up for that, and I have plenty of time train and to do smaller hikes locally before I go.

Every resource I read about this trail, though, says to not do it if it's your first hike. Has anyone here hiked the WCT? What would I be getting myself into, if I can even score a reservation slot? Am I an idiot for even considering this hike? I'm in love with it and I have the time and a little bit of money to make it happen.

As long as you can handle the chance of perpetual hurricane rain, don't get caught by the tide somewhere deadly, and are physically fit then it's not that bad. Seriously, 10 year olds do the WTC every year without needing medivac. North Coast Trail / Cape Scott is more brutal in terms of weather, and The Stein is a far longer haul, the WTC is just...really loving wet. When it was a decrepit and remote telegraph route that saw maybe 10 brave souls a year, it was more deserving of the reputation.

Mud. Mud everywhere.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013
The same friend who is getting married in August actually recommended the Juan de Fuca trail -- but as an addition to the WCT, not by itself. Not sure why I didn't think of that possibility!! haha. But yeah, it will take a little more research but that's a really solid option. I could take the full six days and have shorter hikes with more gently caress around time at or around the campsites. It would be really nice if it were less busy than the WCT too!

Thanks everyone for not discouraging me outright; I think the full WCT would definitely be a challenge, but I'm not convinced it's out of reach... I'm really looking forward to this trip; I hope it all comes together!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

cov-hog posted:

The same friend who is getting married in August actually recommended the Juan de Fuca trail -- but as an addition to the WCT, not by itself. Not sure why I didn't think of that possibility!! haha. But yeah, it will take a little more research but that's a really solid option. I could take the full six days and have shorter hikes with more gently caress around time at or around the campsites. It would be really nice if it were less busy than the WCT too!

Thanks everyone for not discouraging me outright; I think the full WCT would definitely be a challenge, but I'm not convinced it's out of reach... I'm really looking forward to this trip; I hope it all comes together!

It is not overly difficult per say (the WCT), it is just long and conditions can be poor (plan for at least one day of miserable rain). Be prepared for mud regardless of which trail you do (although this year it may be drier as we are having a very dry winter this year). I don't think you would need 6 days for the Juan de fuca.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Has anyone ever tried rip-stop nylon for an overhead tarp? I tend to use a hammock when I go backpacking as it is much lighter to carry, and I don't have to care about the ground conditions when I pick a spot. However I kind of have to have a roof when I do so, right now I just use a crap "light-duty" 12x10 tarp which probably weighs as much as the hammock does and takes up a ton of space.

I figure the nylon won't be as strong or durable as the tarp, but hell of a lot lighter and more compact. But I am worried about how to tie it down and about it possibly leaking in a heavy rain.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ripstop needs a membrane/coating to become waterproof

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

ripstop needs a membrane/coating to become waterproof

Kind of what I figured. So since that idea is out the window, does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight waterproof/resistant tarp? 10x8, 12x10 is the size I am expecting.

That also said, if anyone has done hammock camping, has anyone tried a waterproof cocoon. Instead of having a big tarp overhead, instead using a tube around the hammock, hanging off a separate line. I have similar with my bug netting, maybe I can run a "tarp tube" around me on the same line, so I can peel back the layers if it isn't raining.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you don't mind spending a lot of money you can probably find a tarp made out of cuben fiber. ZPacks sells some but they're not cheap (the material isn't cheap but it's light and waterproof)

http://www.zpacks.com/

Going cheaper you could maybe find a tarp made out of sil-nylon instead which will still be light and mostly waterproof, but I don't know off the top of my head where to find a tarp specifically

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Whatever a light tent's rain fly is made of is probably a good material.

You could find someone who is getting rid of an old/broken tent, and take the rain fly off their hands.

Or buy a separate rain fly for a tent if that's a thing you can do. Searching on rei, it looks like they sell hammock-specific rain flies for $80, yikes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I made a video of a trip from last year to RMNP. I'm terrible/new with video production, editing and effects so yeah.

I also need to reconfigure my photo/video gear. Bringing an SLR and a GoPro wasn't bad, but it would be nice if my SLR shot video ... maybe later down the road. And I need to bring my gorillapod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr69h-322jk

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 27, 2014

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
P

d3k0y posted:

Kind of what I figured. So since that idea is out the window, does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight waterproof/resistant tarp? 10x8, 12x10 is the size I am expecting.

That also said, if anyone has done hammock camping, has anyone tried a waterproof cocoon. Instead of having a big tarp overhead, instead using a tube around the hammock, hanging off a separate line. I have similar with my bug netting, maybe I can run a "tarp tube" around me on the same line, so I can peel back the layers if it isn't raining.

Bushcraft Outfitters has some awesome silnylon tarps in various sizes. I own one and love it.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
I will check those two places out then, I'd like to keep it on the cheap since the hammock is DIY for 20 bucks, would be a little odd to have a tarp at multitudes that cost. A tent rainfly from a tent is a good idea if I can find one large flat one, and not one that is shaped to the tent.

Thanks

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verman posted:

I made a video of a trip from last year to RMNP. I'm terrible/new with video production, editing and effects so yeah.

I also need to reconfigure my photo/video gear. Bringing an SLR and a GoPro wasn't bad, but it would be nice if my SLR shot video ... maybe later down the road. And I need to bring my gorillapod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr69h-322jk

Thanks for posting this. Going to Denver next month and I really hope I get a chance to check out RMNP.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks for posting this. Going to Denver next month and I really hope I get a chance to check out RMNP.

Are you bringing snow shoes? My first time there was in late May early June a few years ago and while the temps in Denver were 80s - 90s, we were post holing in waist deep snow to get up to ouzel lake and could go no further due to feet of snow and losing the trail beneath it. While I had a sunburn on my neck from the hot day prior, we woke up to 4" of snow overnight and hiked out in blizzard conditions.

If you know what you're getting into and are prepared for it then cool but if you're expecting hikeable and clear trails then you might want to reconsider. Also the main road through the park closes between October and whenever the snow clears enough to pass (april-may?) A local Coloradoan would probably be able to give you more up to date trail conditions.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
This isn't comprehensive, but check it before your park visit: http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/trail_conditions.htm

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I've only read up to page 2 but I figured this is the best place to ask:

Has anyone here ever tried the North Face Ultra 106 or Merrell Moab Waterproof? Which one is the best trail runner? I'll be doing a cold mountain hike 2 weeks from now (the trail is fairly easy, nothing major) so wouldn't have time to do the break in crap either.

The Troons Poon
Oct 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 407 days!
Anyone know of a good workout regimen for staying in shape for mountaineering? I won't be able to get on the mountains for the next two months due to school, but I'd rather not devolve into a sack of poo poo during that time.

I guess lots of cardio, with leg and back exercises in the gym?

The Troons Poon fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 28, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Troons Poon posted:

Anyone know of a good workout regimen for staying in shape for mountaineering? I won't be able to get on the mountains for the next two months due to school, but I'd rather not devolve into a sack of poo poo during that time.

I guess lots of cardio, with leg and back exercises in the gym?
Weightlifting for strength, and climbing stairs. Stair masters are okay, incline on a treadmill is good, but if you have flights of stairs, put on a backpack with weight and get to walking.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verman posted:

Are you bringing snow shoes? My first time there was in late May early June a few years ago and while the temps in Denver were 80s - 90s, we were post holing in waist deep snow to get up to ouzel lake and could go no further due to feet of snow and losing the trail beneath it. While I had a sunburn on my neck from the hot day prior, we woke up to 4" of snow overnight and hiked out in blizzard conditions.

If you know what you're getting into and are prepared for it then cool but if you're expecting hikeable and clear trails then you might want to reconsider. Also the main road through the park closes between October and whenever the snow clears enough to pass (april-may?) A local Coloradoan would probably be able to give you more up to date trail conditions.

Oh, sorry for not being clear. I don't plan on doing any sort of hiking. I realize it is not the right time of year and that I may not even be able to get to the park. Thank you for the heads up. I'm going to Denver to scope it out before moving and I am going to at least try to see RMNP a bit if I can.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
I want to get back into backpacking, would consider myself pretty experienced. Done 1/2 of AT in one shot. Most of my gear should work but the only backpack I have is an arcteryx that fit me when I was 10 and doesnt fit me now that I am 26. Can anyone recomend any lightweightish but durable packs? Is the atmos 50 any good?

Also looking to get my girlfriend a pack, any lady recommendations for packs they have enjoyed?

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I'd bring firewood on my back before I bring cast iron cooking stuff. That poo poo is ridiculously heavy.

I was always mistified by Samwise Gamgee carrying not one but SEVERAL cooking pots most of the way to Mordor. Plus he probably weighs like 100 pounds, he should be carrying even less than us.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
There isn't a dedicated canoe/kayak thread, which strikes me as a bit odd, and this thread seems to be the most appropriate place to ask short of a canoe/kayak thread, so here goes: I'm gearing up to run the Texas Water Safari this year in June, and I'm trying to find a pair of shoes that are at least as sturdy and grippy as typical cross trainers, but can dry out rapidly and/or breathe extremely well. I'm going to have them on my feet non-stop for probably 60 hours and there's no way I won't end up with my feet in the water; I don't think I want to try to slip them on and off for every portage (and won't get a warning if we miss our line and get hosed into a tree and rolled), the sunlight is also a consideration, I'm trying to be as covered as possible to avoid the sunburns I will get if I try to just depend on sunscreen.

Are there any hiker tricks to keeping dry feet despite guaranteed soaking in water? Three days of soaking will do very bad things to my feet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How long of portages? Wetsuit boots would cut it for short ones, or mesh topped shoes that I've seen my friend use for up to a mile portage with me in isle royale.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

mastershakeman posted:

How long of portages? Wetsuit boots would cut it for short ones, or mesh topped shoes that I've seen my friend use for up to a mile portage with me in isle royale.

There are some persistent log jams that will push some of the portages just over a mile. In BFE nowhere. In boot-stealing mud if rain has even glanced those stretches. Probably encountered at night if my pace estimation and the mileage numbers are right :ohdear:. I'm seriously considering just walking over the longer jams at the risk of venomous snake bites, just to avoid having to drag a boat filled with food and gear for a three day paddle through that loving mud.

Edit: Keens look a bit too flip-floppy to have stuck to my feet for three days and jump out of a canoe and drag it up a bank. I'll probably get a pair of those techamphibians, though.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Wear sandals. To be specific: wear Keens, or a similar style of water-shoe. I have an old pair of Merrels that I hate, but they do the job.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You're taking a canoe right? Get a huge pack for all your stuff for one guy and the other takes the canoe? Keen is a good choice.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I like Solomon Techamphibians as water shoes.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

EightBit posted:

Are there any hiker tricks to keeping dry feet despite guaranteed soaking in water? Three days of soaking will do very bad things to my feet.

I posted a couple of pages back about this, but I effectively walked through a stream for 4 days (it was a trail, but constant rain turned it into a stream) back in January.

That said, this seems completely impractical for what you are trying to achieve.

My formula was;

- Good quality Icebreaker socks
- Leather boots, sno-sealed
- Waterproof pants (optional, kept the tops of my legs above gaiters dry)
- Gaiters, tight fitting around the top of the boot. I think these were key. Stopped water getting over the top of the boot. I would have still worn these even if the rain stopped because of the mud and deep puddles. Also I might have a fighting chance against snakebites.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EightBit posted:

Edit: Keens look a bit too flip-floppy to have stuck to my feet for three days and jump out of a canoe and drag it up a bank. I'll probably get a pair of those techamphibians, though.
I own both Keens and Techamphibians and prefer the Keens. They are a little heavier but the heel cinches down nicely and they are comfortable for long hikes wet or dry. The heel on the TAs constantly come loose so my heal slips up and out when I push off my toe and pick up my foot. They become more like clogs than shoes. The main draw back on the Keens is that tiny rocks collect in the toe box and you have to tip them out the back every so often.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Shrinking Universe posted:

I posted a couple of pages back about this, but I effectively walked through a stream for 4 days (it was a trail, but constant rain turned it into a stream) back in January.

That said, this seems completely impractical for what you are trying to achieve.

My formula was;

- Good quality Icebreaker socks
- Leather boots, sno-sealed
- Waterproof pants (optional, kept the tops of my legs above gaiters dry)
- Gaiters, tight fitting around the top of the boot. I think these were key. Stopped water getting over the top of the boot. I would have still worn these even if the rain stopped because of the mud and deep puddles. Also I might have a fighting chance against snakebites.

Gaiters are one of my favorite things in the world. Not only do they keep snow and mud out of your boots, they also give your $200 softshell pants a fighting chance against your crampons.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Does anyone carry fishing gear when they backpack? I figure if I can get a pretty light setup it would be fun to fish in places that haven't been filled with old discarded line and beer cans.

I've taken some fishing gear with me before on long hikes. Tenkara poles like somebody else mentioned are great and light. What I do more frequently though is wrap a bunch of line around my water bottle and then tie a hook to the line. You can pack a bobber, sinker and lure separately to use when needed. Then you just unspool a bunch of line and toss it out and then wind it back around your bottle to reel it in. Obviously not the best solution but a fun little distraction out on the trail. I've hauled in grayling and trout with this method.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

Gaiters are one of my favorite things in the world. Not only do they keep snow and mud out of your boots, they also give your $200 softshell pants a fighting chance against your crampons.

For warm weather hiking, Dirty Girl gaiters are awesome for keeping little rocks out of my shoes and for looking stylish.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I like my Dirty Girl gaiters, but I wish they were a little tougher. They snag easily if you are off the trail and in the bush. Otherwise, they're wonderful for keeping stuff out.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009
I'm planning a trip out to Guadalupe Mountains National Park, White Sands, and Carlsbad Caverns. Anyone here have recommendations on what to see/do or advice to offer? I'm planning on 3-4 days at Guadalupe, and 1 day each at White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Stupid question time: What's the best pose you guys did on a mountain?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Disharmony posted:

Face plant?

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

Abject terror/awe?

Backstory: this was my first peak above the tree line. I took up rock climbing, hiking, and working in theater catwalks to get over my fear of heights, and clearing that tree line and having nothing opposite the side of me which was facing the mountain rekindled that old chestnut. This picture is the second I looked up after watching the ground for about an hour (by the way, the microflora is amazing at altitude, take a second to look down sometime.)

But drat, if the view isn't worth it every time. Makes the slog up the side that much more beautiful.

Now I'm itching to go out. Chicago in January doesn't serve much for hiking.

P.S. I hope stories are cool here? I always love hearing people's and that question got me reminiscing.

Edit: also, other people's pictures always get me pumped. I think this thread really needs more awesome hike pictures.

FreakerByTheSpeaker fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 31, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Above the treeline you say?

e: vvvv - cool, I've done that area of the Grand Canyon several times, once down the Tanner trail which is an absolute poo poo show

Levitate fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 31, 2014

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Over the past year I've gotten in the habit of editing together videos of my bigger hikes. I don't want to spam the thread but want to share a few of the most recent videos. This first one was a 3-day visit to a lesser-traveled part of the Grand Canyon, including exploring off-trail down some non-technical canyons. This trip took place over the Thanksgiving holiday, which meant that it was timed during the once-a-decade inversion that filled the canyon with clouds from rim to rim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afSGASD465Y

This video is from a 10-day trip I took in late September. The primary purpose of the trip was to spend four days hiking the 4-pass loop in the Maroon Bells outside of Aspen Colorado. However, I also crammed in a bunch of side visits and dayhikes in national parks and monuments on the drive up and drive back from Arizona, including Natural Bridges, Arches, Canyonlands, Colorado, Great Sand Dunes, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly, and Petrified Forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LOu95lg5Y

This last video is slightly different. It's from a 2 day canyoneering trip down Tonto Creek in central Arizona. This trip was non-technical canyoneering, meaning no rappelling or technical rock climbing, but lots of wading and swimming through the creek the whole way. Its much like a trip down the Zion Narrows, but with more swimming (and 100% less people). This is my favorite kind of hike to do these days. Its physically very demanding, but so much fun. I've spent the last few months getting trained up on the technical skills, and intend to spend much of 2014 focusing on canyoneering trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNpAPanrJ7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Disharmony posted: