Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah, glad they took that head on. God Morty is gonna be totally hosed in the head if he ever makes it to adulthood. He's learning almost every important life lesson the hard way and in single nights.

He's going to be Rick if he ever makes it to adulthood. That existential horror experienced as a child leads perfectly to a self-medicating alcoholic nihilist later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I missed the episode and watched it on Youtube afterwards. This was probably my favorite yet. I actually liked the stinger, if only for Summer recreating Jaws.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

WickedHate posted:

I missed the episode and watched it on Youtube afterwards. This was probably my favorite yet. I actually liked the stinger, if only for Summer recreating Jaws.

Its just good to know that some where, some how, Jerry is not a total loser at something.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I say this every week about this show but man, that was some good television.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went into this episode thinking "well at least it cant be darker than last weeks episode"

:stare:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Well we finally got to see Jerry with the shotgun as scene in the intro, can't wait to see the episode where he ends up pregnant somehow. It was so nice to see him happy in the Cronenberg universe, where he is actually good at something.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Well, when you're the last non-Cronenberg man on earth, you're bound to be pretty alright.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I like to think that this show will go on for a long time and maybe, in season 5 or something, Universe 1 Summer will step out of a portal all Indiana Jonesed up and reveal that she is now an interdimensional bounty hunter who has been sent from their original universe to drag Rick and Morty back to face justice for the crime of Cronenberging their world.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want to see the episode where morty is replaced with a robot version of himself

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I like how feeling empowered by the Cronnenberg-apocalypse put Jerry in such a good mood that he was ready to avoid blaming Rick for it.

The interplay between the family members has all been pretty great stuff, looking forward to more of it. Hope they all get a turn in the spotlight.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm really interested to see what sort of dark secret Rick is hiding, given his obsession with making Morty his "little helper" on all his science adventures. It really seems like there's something more going on than Rick simply wanting to pass the torch and Morty being the person he despises the least.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Hazo posted:

I'm really interested to see what sort of dark secret Rick is hiding, given his obsession with making Morty his "little helper" on all his science adventures. It really seems like there's something more going on than Rick simply wanting to pass the torch and Morty being the person he despises the least.

Rick is Morty would be a little too predictable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rick feels the way he does about Morty because he views Morty as young enough that he can actually change his attitude toward conforming.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

No jury will convict a minor for spacecrimes.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Arrrthritis posted:

Yeah, seriously. This show rules and I *really* hope it goes on for a long time. Forever Rick and Morty dot com.
It's on the frontpage on reddit every week (the youtube link) which is the hip new place for actors and producers to push their show, so I'm pretty hopeful about rick and morty a hundred years, rick and morty dot com, a hundred times rick and morty

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

muscles like this? posted:

Rick feels the way he does about Morty because he views Morty as young enough that he can actually change his attitude toward conforming.
I still think there's more to it than this. Besides, Summer's only a couple years older and Rick loving hates Summer.

edit: Speaking of Summer, the title for episode 7 gives a pretty big clue as to what part of the title sequence we'll be seeing next

Hazo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 28, 2014

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I know Summer is supposed to be a more traditional and normal teenager/human compared to the rest of the family but I'm always surprised by the things she says. She's smart and doesn't seem to put up with Rick as much as everyone else does. Interested in seeing where she goes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like Summer and I don't seem to gather Rick hates her that much, he's just totally dismissive.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pick posted:

I like Summer and I don't seem to gather Rick hates her that much, he's just totally dismissive.
You're right, I misremembered the scene in the living room. I thought Rick said something nasty to Summer, when it turns out Summer called Rick a dick and he just blew her off. So yeah there's something special about Morty we don't know yet.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The Rick and Morty Rushed License adventure might have been rushed and what have you, but it owns. A++ writing and dialogue.

Masturbatory Hitchhikers Guide text adventure reference posted:

"Hey it's a sock. You know what socks are good for? All kinds of things... you know I could write a whole book about things you, I could use a sock for"

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I don't hate any of the characters but Jerry has pushed it. The Meseeks stuff was unbearable. He's just so awful and sad at everything I actually found myself wanting the Meseeks to murder him.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how anyone can expect there to be actual character development or multi-episode story arcs in this show. The entire premise is nihilistic and flies in the face of continuity. It'd be impossible for it to "end," because any plot resolution in one universe is meaningless in the face of an infinity of alternate universes, as the last episode perfectly illustrated. Hell, we can't even be sure from one episode to the next that we're still watching the same universe or even the same Rick & Morty.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tokubetsu posted:

I don't hate any of the characters but Jerry has pushed it. The Meseeks stuff was unbearable. He's just so awful and sad at everything I actually found myself wanting the Meseeks to murder him.

I was also this way, but less out of hatred for Jerry and more out of sympathy and pity for the poor Meseeks. This episode redeemed him just a little. It shows, at least, that the potential is there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Jerry was redeemably badass in last night's episode

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This show is loving great.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Again, this show is too good. Someone needs to kill the creators, something very bad is going to happen if it stays being this fantastic.

There will probably be character development but probably at the beginning of each season or something to set the tone for that season or whatever. Like someone else said though, continuity really doesn't matter, part of the wonderfulness of this show is how each episode so far could or couldn't be continuous. Too many shows rely on ongoing arcs or other timewasting bullshit to fill space, this is like WHAM, an entire sci-fi genre just got destroyed in twenty minutes, see you next week when Morty gets cloned to save time doing homework and starts trying to kill and replace Prime Morty, and might even succeed! Also Heat Vision and Jack cameo.

This show is partially really irritating to me personally because I tried to make a live-action pilot for a sci-fi space show with a very similar attitude and the whole thing collapsed and it really stings seeing something that actually got made and is way better than anything I could ever do.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Anony Mouse posted:

I don't see how anyone can expect there to be actual character development or multi-episode story arcs in this show. The entire premise is nihilistic and flies in the face of continuity. It'd be impossible for it to "end," because any plot resolution in one universe is meaningless in the face of an infinity of alternate universes, as the last episode perfectly illustrated. Hell, we can't even be sure from one episode to the next that we're still watching the same universe or even the same Rick & Morty.
You can have nihilistic themes and surprising events while still showing the development of a core group of characters. Hell, this past episode was a perfect example of that. I never suggested they were working toward an "end," but considering the amount of foreshadowing plus the fact that the creators have said they are exploring continuous themes (deterioration of Jerry and Beth's marriage, Rick's mysterious plans for Morty, Morty scoring with that chick, Summer... being a normal teen, I guess), I have a hard time seeing how you're viewing this as something like ATHF that reboots every episode.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
They kind of did the, "Clone tries to kill the new clone" thing in Venture Brothers.

That's one thing I'd like to see. Summer getting in on some of the action. She's pretty much the only one that's not really been touched upon. They focus a lot on Jerry, but Beth has her own personality.

I'm sure that growing up, Beth has also had a lot of odd adventures with Rick herself. I'd like to know what growing up with Rick as a father would be like, we know he was gone for a while, but there had to be a time when he was actually there.

I also kind of dig that Morty's home life isn't like a lot of the cartoon families on TV. In Simpsons and Family guy.. there's always the divorce jokes, or the episode centering around it. It's kind of a, "haha. Here's something. But, back to the family again." Jerry and Beth's problems don't just go away. They linger through multiple episodes, and last, and they do have kind of an effect on Morty.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Jesus Christ that loving ending.

Even in this potentially new universe they're in there's bound to be a whole bunch of people who died during the Cronenberg Apocalypse.

I love this show.

It's pretty heavily implied the universe they ended up in was the universe where Cronenberg Rick and Morty made everything normal.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I doubt that, because the headline on the newspaper is "Genetic crisis averted!" which would imply that being Cronenberg'd was a problem.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

oh em gee bee ess posted:

It's pretty heavily implied the universe they ended up in was the universe where Cronenberg Rick and Morty made everything normal.

Impossible: Because cronenberg rick and morty were from a universe in which everyone was originally a cronenberg, but the new universe regular rick and morty went to had a normal rick and morty in it. There were not 2 rick and mortys in cronenberg-verse. So we know that cronenberg rick and morty are still cronenbergs, so they can't be from the dimension at the end.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mo0 posted:

I doubt that, because the headline on the newspaper is "Genetic crisis averted!" which would imply that being Cronenberg'd was a problem.

That and the fact there was a Rick and Morty still there to die in the accident.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I liked that Cronenberg-Rick and Cronenberg-Morty still referred to themselves a such despite being from a world where being one was normal, and referred to a never-before-seen genetic anomaly as "normal people just walking around."

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Dr Christmas posted:

I liked that Cronenberg-Rick and Cronenberg-Morty still referred to themselves a such despite being from a world where being one was normal, and referred to a never-before-seen genetic anomaly as "normal people just walking around."

Honestly, it was bits like that that made that whole part feel half-baked to me. I realize it was meant to make sense from our perspective, but right after the show made a point about how that really doesn't matter in the long run, it decides to then have a balanced point on the other end of things.

It really sounds like I'm ragging on it, when I'm not, I feel like that is the sole blemish in an otherwise flawless episode, so I'm fixating on it a bit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It has to be comprehensible to people as they're watching it. Clarity always triumphs.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
I think the funniest scene in my opinion was one of the throwaway ones. When Summer is standing there awkwardly while Beth and Jerry are making out. I laughed out loud.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

It has to be comprehensible to people as they're watching it. Clarity always triumphs.

I understand that, and I realize that's why they did it. My argument is that the episode didn't need to end on that note. IT already had the ending where the family decides that they don't care that Rick and Morty are gone, and that was perfectly fine.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/dan-harmon-rick-and-morty-ratings-hit.html

Sometimes science is more art than science. Looks like we're going to be getting some more Rick and Morty. Congrats dude in this thread who colors it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
6 seasons and a DS game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What the gently caress is going on with the photo in the linked interview

• Locked thread