Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

leg bones posted:

Here's one I found of just him

That's a pretty good Gaige, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The arms look a little goofy though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That dog costume is amazing

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Sauron has stumpy dwarf arms!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

The arms look a little goofy though.

Zombie Boat posted:

Sauron has stumpy dwarf arms!

There's several ways around this problem but each of them bring in more problems. One way to make the proportions even out would be to double the length of the arms, having the cosplayers hands in the costume's elbow and the costume's lower arms are fake. The problems there are that it'd be incredibly difficult to incorporate Sauron's mace into the costume and it's somewhat dangerous to have your arms encumbered that much when you're on stilts.
The second option is to make the stilts a little shorter, hide the costumer's head in the chest of the costume and have the helmet mounted on top of his head and build fake shoulders to make the arms look longer, designing the arm armor so that the lower arms looks longer. The costumer won't be able to raise his arms very high but at least he'll be able to hold a weapon. One of the big problems with this is that it's really easy to forget how tall your costume is and bump into light fixtures and door frames.

Space Marine cosplayers have the same problem and they often end up with tiny little T-rex arms on huge costumes. This guy avoids that by having one giant powerfist so you don't really notice that his other arm looks tiny in comparison to everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1YAEOZKjW8

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

leg bones posted:

So, I'm a pretty active Jack Sparrow cosplayer, but a buddy of mine just churns out costumes. This is his Sauron

You do a great Jack Sparrow! Here's a shot I took of you being swarmed by a Bill & Ted. Bill's stomach is as disconcerting as it is accurate and cracked me up.

My favorite from Portland was this Skeksis, when he crouched into his pose it was really awesome. Androgynous (ok maybe not so much) Kira also a nice touch.

Campbell has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Jan 28, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Campbell posted:

My favorite from Portland was this Skeksis, when he crouched into his pose it was really awesome. Androgynous (ok maybe not so much) Kira also a nice touch.

The addition of :wal: and :stat: really make the picture.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Those guys were great, only outdone by this Muppet crew :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Campbell posted:

Those guys were great, only outdone by this Muppet crew :)

Hey those Cosplayers aren't half bad!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
No, they're all bad!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phuzzy posted:

No, they're all bad!

:stat: Ho ho ho ho!
:wal: Ha ha ha ha!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Space Marine cosplayers have the same problem and they often end up with tiny little T-rex arms on huge costumes. This guy avoids that by having one giant powerfist so you don't really notice that his other arm looks tiny in comparison to everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1YAEOZKjW8

The way Pilerud solves his working hand is by making the gauntlet pieces oversized. The pistol arm is actually pretty much to scale, since the glove has such big pieces.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
That's not a Skeksis

THIS

is a Skeksis

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
No fair posting official movie puppets in the thread

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta has a Skeksis puppet. It's pretty freaky looking in person.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm not a costume maker, but would those toy "claw" extension hands where your fingers pulling the handle make the robot hand fingers tighten work as a frame to build the longer arms around?

Something like this is what I'm talking about. There may be more sophisticated models out there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Choco1980 posted:

I'm not a costume maker, but would those toy "claw" extension hands where your fingers pulling the handle make the robot hand fingers tighten work as a frame to build the longer arms around?

Something like this is what I'm talking about. There may be more sophisticated models out there.

No but the principal behind them is fine. Those toy ones use too thin and light of plastic to hold any sort of weight reliably and you'd break tendons in the fingers. Maybe buy one to see how they operate and make yourself a stronger version.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Choco1980 posted:

Interestingly, the Skeksis I posted has an extended arm (the left arm, which is "live", whereas the right arm you see resting on the belly is dead since the performer has his right hand in the head). It's not made from a toy one but it does use the same principles, it's built on custom made plastic jointed bones attached to a plastic "palm" which itself slots onto a fibreglass rod, with a load of strapping around the lower arm of the performer and a pistol type grip, and with a plastic ring around each of his finger so the individual fingers of the costume hand can be controlled separately

It works on something like a Skeksis because the billowing robes hide the actual positions of his real arms; in fact, there are fibreglass and foam fake arms inside the sleeves to show an outline under the folds.

On something like Sauron you won't be able to do these fake arm bones because his armour is very form fitting. As someone else suggested, your options are to build up the shoulders and make a hat-head, have arm extensions with the wearers hands in the elbow, or have arm extensions with the wearers hands somewhere in the lower arm. My approach would be a combination, I'd add maybe 6" to the shoulders to make the upper arms look longer, and 6-10" to the lower arms with extensions to make the lower arms longer, that overall gives you an extra foot of arm, you'd raise the top of the chest plate 6" and look out of the neck, and you could probably get away with up to a foot of stilting, so 6 foot dude plus stilts plus neck extension plus the fact the helmet is really tall anyway you'd hit close to 8 foot without even trying. Fortunately the robe hides the fact the knees are in totally the wrong place.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Germstore posted:

The Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta has a Skeksis puppet. It's pretty freaky looking in person.

I've lived in Atlanta for a decade now and had no idea this place existed. Thank you for this.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've lived in Atlanta for a decade now and had no idea this place existed. Thank you for this.

It looks like the Garthem Master too, who is probably the second most prominent skeksis in the movie after the Chamberlain. He's got an incredible costume with bits of insectoid carapace on his back and all sorts of poo poo going on, and a super expressive face. I imagine the head is one of the fiberglass swap outs they used for the long shots when they had little people in the puppets/costumes, the original foam latex ones will have disintegrated decades ago, that poo poo just does not last. If you look at prop sales and such even puppets/costume pieces from movies just a few years old are looking decidedly worse for wear, and a lot of older stuff is absolutely rotten and deformed if it's survived at all.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Choco1980 posted:

I did a StarCraft space marine group with my friends last summer and we essentially built our own versions of those to extend the arms to proportionate length. You really have to fine tune them for the hands to work well (we ran out of time and had not the best extended hands, super hard to hold stuff with) but I think the concept of hand extensions is really the only way to make those proportions right.

We also built a Big Daddy suit a few years ago and for that project we narrowed the chest region so that our arms would hang out more naturally. The fact that it's got a drill for one arm helped a lot, but the other arm doesn't look too goofy short and the narrower suit looks just fine as long as it isn't photographed head-on. So that's a less technical option, as well.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
A great cosplay, eh?

:canada:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CynCyanide posted:

A great cosplay, eh?

I would never expect to see a ROWSDOWER! cosplay!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

CynCyanide posted:

A great cosplay, eh?

Did you ever find out if there's beer on the sun?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

CynCyanide posted:

A great cosplay, eh?

It's...beautiful. :canada:

Now here's hoping for a good Pumaman cosplay.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

spasticColon posted:

Now here's hoping for a good Pumaman cosplay.

Eh...

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
It's missing someone.

<------------

hint hint

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CynCyanide posted:

A great cosplay, eh?

Honestly, the first thing that I thought of was Ray Gillette.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

spasticColon posted:

It's missing someone.

<------------

hint hint

A medicine ball?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CynCyanide posted:

A great cosplay, eh?

This reminds me of a Royal Canadian Air Farce sketch, but I can't think of the name. I swear there was one where one of the women on the show dressed up as a man and put on a husky accent.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

spasticColon posted:

It's missing someone.

<------------

hint hint

MST3K. Rowsdower is a character from one of their funnier ones when they did the movie The Final Sacrifice. Here's a funny clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSsqwT60peM

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

spasticColon posted:

It's missing someone.

<------------

hint hint

A spastic colon?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Dear Prudence posted:

MST3K. Rowsdower is a character from one of their funnier ones when they did the movie The Final Sacrifice. Here's a funny clip!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSsqwT60peM
They were probably responding to the PumaMan cosplay photo, the movie / MST3K episode from which spasticColon's avatar is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsu0ueiB9k

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

They were probably responding to the PumaMan cosplay photo, the movie / MST3K episode from which spasticColon's avatar is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsu0ueiB9k

I'm an idiot that thought it said "I'm missing something."

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Well she's got the crazy stare down pat. :stare:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah that is a creepily accurate way to sell a look.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I am getting the weirdest boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

This reminds me of a Royal Canadian Air Farce sketch, but I can't think of the name. I swear there was one where one of the women on the show dressed up as a man and put on a husky accent.

Dakey Dunn from 22 Minutes? Definitely a Rowsdower cousin.

• Locked thread