Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spatula City posted:

I don't know how anyone could see the Cane episode and then not consider NewsRadio one of the best comedies ever just on the basis of "Bill...I stole your cane." and "THIS CANE DISPLEASES ME."

There was also the glorious smoking/caffeine episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

bobkatt013 posted:

There was also the glorious smoking/caffeine episode.

Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space... But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Spatula City posted:

I don't know how anyone could see the Cane episode and then not consider NewsRadio one of the best comedies ever just on the basis of "Bill...I stole your cane." and "THIS CANE DISPLEASES ME."

I am shocked it took 40 posts after the mention of Newsradio for someone to say "This cane displeases me."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Buttafuoco to you too, Matthew

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Newsradio was great because Phil Hartman and Dave Foley's comedic styles complemented each other so well.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The fact that Newsradio cast Andy Dick one of its most likable characters and pulled it off really speaks volumes in and of itself.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Teh one 90s TV memory I have of Andy Dick I didn't even see, but I heard about.

He was a guest on the Arsenio Hall Show to promote his Get Smart TV series that was on and apparently he informed the audience and Arsenio something like, "I just learned before coming here that my show has been cancelled."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
A complaint about the complaint box.

Delicious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I should watch News Radio. Everyone says it was really good, and I watched it a little when I was young but all I can remember every time I try to think about the show is "Dave and his robot buddy! Off to fight crime!" or something like that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Newsradio might be my single favorite show ever. There are shows that are better crafted, better written, better acted, whatever, but if you said I could only watch one TV show for the rest of my life, it would either be Newsradio or Law and Order, and the latter would be there only because there are loving a billion episodes of it. Newsradio owns. I'm gonna watch Newsradio right now.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Slamhound posted:

A complaint about the complaint box.

Delicious.

I try to be good hard-worker-man, but refrigemater so messy, so so messy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Joe, who's the black undercover dick who's a sex machine with all the chicks?

Why, I believe that would be Shaft, Bill.

Mmm-hmm. And who's the cat who won't cop out when there is danger all about?

Once again Bill, you are referring to Shaft. You know, they say that Shaft is one bad mutha...

Just shut up, you guys.

What're you guys doing?

Were just talking about Shaft.

I can dig it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Newsradio was the pinnacle of the classic 3-camera ensemble sitcom. It never got maudlin or fell into the "On A Very Special…" trap despite having an episode that was a literal memorial.

"I just want to make sure my final wishes are observed. Wish number one—I wish I weren't dead."

Also, goons should love it because virtually every character is a gigantic nerd of one kind or another.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I was a kid the hardest I laughed was when they were trying to enter a talent show and Joe's talent was just hitting a phone book really hard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

When I was a kid the hardest I laughed was when they were trying to enter a talent show and Joe's talent was just hitting a phone book really hard.

Then we got a Kids in the Hall reunion.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-eT8HSXZ0Q

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Then we got a Kids in the Hall reunion.

Psh, that's nothing. What about an acapella quartet of Dave Foley, David Cross, Brian Posehn and Bob Odenkirk?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A rerun of That 70s Show came on the TV while I was at the gym, and the intro reminded me that I could never figure out why Donna grabbed the dashboard during the theme song. They must have thought it was interesting/funny enough to do again when they re-shot the intro a couple seasons into it, but I could never understand what the joke was supposed to be.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The latest Rick and Morty was goddamn transcendent.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

It's quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite shows. I don't watch anything else on Adult Swim, and never have, really... But it seems to be in a class of its own.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Chozen:
Episode 1: well this will be a short, unfunny run
Episode 2: huh, I laughed a bit. This has some promise
Episode 3: haha this is hilarious

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

raditts posted:

Well, in the early 90s, the channels that would become UPN were just UHF stations that got bought out by Paramount. For example, WDCA-20 where I lived in Maryland became "Paramount 20," I can't remember if that was before or after TNG started airing but I'm pretty sure it was a couple years after, and aside from the Star Trek shows they were pretty much the same stations they always were. When they changed it over to UPN in the mid-90s, that was when they started trying to branch out to other, non-Star Trek things with such memorable programs as The Secret Diaries of Desmond Pfieffer and Homeboys in Outer Space.

I'm not sure but I think UPN was also partly owned by Fox. I remember going to the UPN station once to pick up screener tickets I won for X-Men 3 from one of those things where they show the Secret Word during a commercial break and you call in with it, and it was the same building as the local Fox station. I think the Fox-owned ones were the stations that evolved into MyTV instead of CW.

There was a merger in 2001 where Fox bought an owner of UPN affiliates in some big cities (like in DC and here in NY). And yes, those were the ones that formed the basis of MyNetwork TV when all of them were left out of the CW.

And yeah, UPN's legacy was first Star Trek and later Smackdown. I don't even want to go through the shows they promoted when Smackdown was at it's height.

raditts posted:

Well, the Today Show is and has been garbage dump television for years anyway, so might as well see how he could possibly make it worse.

I just wanted to vent that for what the Today Show is, try going through 5 minutes of Good Morning America. I know these shows aren't for us, but yeesh

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Having watched some Law and Order: SVU with my grandma, I definitely feel uncomfortable watching this show. The whole rape victim is forced to confront their attacker in court deal the series seems to love as well as some of the other themes and how it handles them is really distressing, and I used to watch shows like Dexter and The Walking Dead pretty regularly.

Maybe the darker stuff just isn't appealing to me anymore, and I'm somehow getting reverse-desensitized to it, if that's even a thing. Is NCIS (another show she likes) even nearly that dark?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

NCIS is nowhere near that dark, other than the fact that the show which (used) to be hoo-rah about our troops also features one (or more) getting murdered each week. Also in recent years, more successively bad things are happening in the country that are kind of shocking in that Tom Clancy probably is jealous he didn't write it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Colgate posted:

Having watched some Law and Order: SVU with my grandma, I definitely feel uncomfortable watching this show. The whole rape victim is forced to confront their attacker in court deal the series seems to love as well as some of the other themes and how it handles them is really distressing, and I used to watch shows like Dexter and The Walking Dead pretty regularly.

Maybe the darker stuff just isn't appealing to me anymore, and I'm somehow getting reverse-desensitized to it, if that's even a thing. Is NCIS (another show she likes) even nearly that dark?

SVU falls more into the category of "dark comedy" than "crime procedural" these days, you're probably better off watching it with that mindset.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

raditts posted:

SVU falls more into the category of "dark comedy" than "crime procedural" these days, you're probably better off watching it with that mindset.

SVU is basically a show which realizes the dream of some Goons that cops really are that horrible.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

raditts posted:

Well, in the early 90s, the channels that would become UPN were just UHF stations that got bought out by Paramount. For example, WDCA-20 where I lived in Maryland became "Paramount 20," I can't remember if that was before or after TNG started airing but I'm pretty sure it was a couple years after, and aside from the Star Trek shows they were pretty much the same stations they always were. When they changed it over to UPN in the mid-90s, that was when they started trying to branch out to other, non-Star Trek things with such memorable programs as The Secret Diaries of Desmond Pfieffer and Homeboys in Outer Space.

I'm not sure but I think UPN was also partly owned by Fox. I remember going to the UPN station once to pick up screener tickets I won for X-Men 3 from one of those things where they show the Secret Word during a commercial break and you call in with it, and it was the same building as the local Fox station. I think the Fox-owned ones were the stations that evolved into MyTV instead of CW.

I kind of wish The Secret Diaries of Desmond Pfieffer had worked, because it was clearly an attempt to do an american ripoff remake of Blackadder the Third.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anyone who hasn't seen NewsRadio, just watch the episode with the bouncy ball. If you're not sold after that, well.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

precision posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen NewsRadio, just watch the episode with the bouncy ball. If you're not sold after that, well.

You know, back in the service we used to have a saying: "You can't expect the troops to salute you if you're sleeping with the sergeant."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Vertical Lime posted:

I just wanted to vent that for what the Today Show is, try going through 5 minutes of Good Morning America. I know these shows aren't for us, but yeesh

ABC News is God awful all around now, even with their evening news program. Even CBS News, for all its 60 Minutes-related faults, can still put together 30 minutes of mostly hard news every night. ABC World News is content to run "investigative" puff pieces and index segments about popular youtube videos for 70% of its block.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Not sold.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Quick question for you guys, there used to be a TV show about a guy getting sucked into the internet and running from evil that was chasing him, It was really low budget and might have been on Adult Swim a while ago. Its not the current Fat Guy stuck in the internet show. The show I am thinking of was real low budget kind of in line with Garth Marengi, any ideas?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

hcreight posted:

ABC News is God awful all around now, even with their evening news program. Even CBS News, for all its 60 Minutes-related faults, can still put together 30 minutes of mostly hard news every night. ABC World News is content to run "investigative" puff pieces and index segments about popular youtube videos for 70% of its block.

Yeah, there was a study that came out earlier this month saying ABC News as a whole has gone in that direction:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/01/the-year-abc-went-disney-180966.html

My theory is Disney does this since they have ESPN for the male demographic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This post displeases me.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

MrAristocrates posted:

No, for real, it was. Here it is, watch it. It's really god drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SutlAKqlmNo

I tend to get douche chills when people start saying things like "That episode was a wonderfully dark, nihilistic deconstruction of the nature of existence" but holy poo poo guys, the ending to this episode was the most wonderfully dark thing I've seen on TV in a long time. It's awesome.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Colgate posted:

Maybe the darker stuff just isn't appealing to me anymore, and I'm somehow getting reverse-desensitized to it, if that's even a thing.

I chalk it up to growing up and realizing this poo poo happens and it's no fun to be in your entertainment. I definitely have a lower tolerance for real world tragedy and dark human stories than I did when I was younger. The more life experience you pick up, the more poo poo you see, and the less interested you are in seeing that poo poo staged. I can't imagine how parents watch half of what's on tv.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
surprised at Alpha House - pretty low stakes but not horrible

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Rick and Morty is pulling better ratings (1.5) this week than Community (1.3).

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/dan-harmon-rick-and-morty-ratings-hit.html

edit: The link says Community got a 1.0 but that's in the adult male demo. I hate these numbers, I don't get them... Rick and Morty also beat Archer. :what:

edit 2: I DON'T GET NUMBERS.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 29, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Quick question for you guys, there used to be a TV show about a guy getting sucked into the internet and running from evil that was chasing him, It was really low budget and might have been on Adult Swim a while ago. Its not the current Fat Guy stuck in the internet show. The show I am thinking of was real low budget kind of in line with Garth Marengi, any ideas?

Maybe it was the previous version of Fat Guy Stuck in Internet? There was a short series of that on another channel with most of the same actors/creative team. It also had a different name, I'm not positive but I believe that one was just called Gemberling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, Rick and Morty is pulling better ratings (1.5) this week than Community (1.3).

http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/dan-harmon-rick-and-morty-ratings-hit.html

edit: The link says Community got a 1.0 but that's in the adult male demo. I hate these numbers, I don't get them... Rick and Morty also beat Archer. :what:

edit 2: I DON'T GET NUMBERS.

Rick and Morty got an 0.7 in the 18-49 demo, while Community had a 1.1 last week. That probably is a pretty good number for an adult swim show, but I have no idea how they evaluate their original programming. And yes, it did edge Archer in overall viewership but Archer also had an 0.7 demo number.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...es-more/232423/

Rick and Morty for 100 years Six Seasons and a Movie.

• Locked thread