Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cat doter posted:

I kinda wish Tomb Raider did turn out to be a horror game, because it has The Descent references all over it. I'd play the poo poo out of a The Descent game.

If it was good of course.

I remember like a year before the game was even unveiled a bunch of concept art leaked featuring these really gnarly Japanese ghost designs, so it actually was supposed to be a straight up horror game at one point. I wish that had been the case, because while I do think it's a good game, it really lacks any kind of personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Costco has surprisingly good 'bad' pizza from their food court. I mean, you have to drop a few napkins on it to soak up the 1/4th cup of grease first, but after that it ain't bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah for birthday parties Costco pizza was the go-to and they are really cheap. Better than any of the chain pizzas.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Jimbot posted:

There was some nasty body horror in RE4.

The stealth bugs melting Leon's face off haunted my nightmares for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsHjrC6BXY

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Kasonic posted:

The stealth bugs melting Leon's face off haunted my nightmares for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsHjrC6BXY
Holy crap, the audio in that clip sounds like it was done by Merzbow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jackie D posted:

But seriously gently caress Papa Johns

A long time ago when I was in the military and living on base, Papa Johns was the only pizza place that would deliver on base. I hate a lot of Papa Johns. Usually, I'd order a couple large pizzas every Friday night and that food would last me through a weekend of playing World of Warcraft. One night in probably about 2008, I didn't realize how hungry I was and how fast I was eating the pizza. I ate a large pizza in just over an hour and was sick as loving dog for the next 72 hours. I haven't been able to eat Papa Johns since. Even the smell makes me nauseous. Their pizza is awful. Though, I really do like their garlic breadsticks. :(

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
New Mailbag is up.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Now that is a promising thumbnail.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Noxville posted:

Now that is a promising thumbnail.

The package is from a cosplay enthusiast.

This should be... interesting :stare:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
What's up with the random Cave Story art behind Vinny?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Great, now they're going to have to name the mascot

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Weird, the mailbag came from Grand Rapids (I live in Grand Rapids). I think this is actually the second mailbag from here as well. Who knew there was such a large giant bomb fanbase in GR?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Jeff definitely went to a LAN party :3:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I've been thinking all year, "Man, I should really go back and play more of Tomb Raider, I didn't get that far". As I watched the Quick Look, though, I kept having flashbacks of ghost samurai and poo poo. So I looked up a plot synopsis, and I guess I had apparently played all but probably the last hour of the game, but had completely forgotten almost all of it. I know it was almost a year ago, but I feel like that definitely says something about Tomb Raider.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

I see Tomb Raider and the Last of Us as two sides of the same coin. Both AAA games made under massive budgets at the twilight of the cover shooter boom, one made a story to serve a good video game, and the other used a video game to serve a good story.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I've been thinking all year, "Man, I should really go back and play more of Tomb Raider, I didn't get that far". As I watched the Quick Look, though, I kept having flashbacks of ghost samurai and poo poo. So I looked up a plot synopsis, and I guess I had apparently played all but probably the last hour of the game, but had completely forgotten almost all of it. I know it was almost a year ago, but I feel like that definitely says something about Tomb Raider.

That it has a bad but forgettable story?

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Clockwork Gadget posted:

It's an incredibly forgettable game. It's fun to play but there's really nothing that sticks with you, and that intro part where you have to get Lara to hunt and kill a deer was memorable for a couple months until TLoU came out and made it look like a joke.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've always thought the magical sci-fi stuff in Tomb Raider games was really out of place. Like, I know it's been a part of the series since the very beginning but it was REALLY stupid in the first game and has barely gotten better.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Hah, I think only one game has done this to me, and it was Killzone 2. Like I completely forgotten I played through the single player campaign and put 40 hours into Multiplayer.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Uncharted was a revelation for B tier developers worldwide. You had to copy it down to every detail to get any recognition with some developer circles. Even the dumb sci fi parts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mutation posted:

Hah, I think only one game has done this to me, and it was Killzone 2. Like I completely forgotten I played through the single player campaign and put 40 hours into Multiplayer.

I have dozens of hours in L4D1 and 2 but can barely remember more than playing the campaign through once each and a couple of versus matches.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Just reinstalled and booted it up. 82% completion on my save file. :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

flatluigi posted:

I have dozens of hours in L4D1 and 2 but can barely remember more than playing the campaign through once each and a couple of versus matches.

I couldn't tell you a single loving thing that happened in the single player campaigns for Battlefield 3 & 4 and Medal of Honor. Like, maybe I could vaguely describe some setpieces but that's about it and I beat BF4 less than a month ago.

e: also I just started played DmC: Devil May Cry and Brad was well correct to include it in his top 10 from last year. that game is goddamn stylish as hell

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 29, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Jeff's starting to sport a pretty sweet goatee.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

that game is goddamn stylish as hell

The script for DmC is loving laughable on every level, but the rest of that game is aces. If there was a VGX for Art Direction this should win all of them forever.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
At least it's a fun kind of bad script as opposed to a boring kind of bad script ala recent Battlefields.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I remember DmC having a pretty boring and self-serious story, at least most of it was.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I remember DmC having a pretty boring and self-serious story, at least most of it was.

"Takes itself too seriously" is a pretty dumb complaint since the funniest and most enjoyable, yet stupid stories are often the ones that take themselves seriously. And DmC sure as poo poo isn't guilty of doing that anyway, with all the winks to the player and in-jokes.

(it's still really bad and boring though)

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 29, 2014

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I know I'm a page late to the pizza discussion, but I feel this is important: guys buy a pizza stone. Even if you don't want to make your own pizzas, I've had leftover delivery pizza that tasted way better after reheating it in the oven on a pizza stone than it did when it was fresh. If you eat leftover pizza cold or from the microwave you are missing out.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

All the characters in the Fast+Furious movies take things seriously but the movie sure as poo poo doesn't take itself seriously

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Yoya posted:

Uncharted was a revelation for B tier developers worldwide. You had to copy it down to every detail to get any recognition with some developer circles. Even the dumb sci fi parts.

Tomb Raider borrows from Uncharted pretty shamelessly, but at least the series has its roots in stupid supernatural poo poo. I agree though the slow build up to end of game reveal was very Uncharted-like in execution.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like all I can think of when I read that is my late grandmother getting pissed off at Total Recall and saying "It takes itself too seriously" because Arnie is genuinely acting like he's in a strange situation on Mars.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I know I'm a page late to the pizza discussion, but I feel this is important: guys buy a pizza stone. Even if you don't want to make your own pizzas, I've had leftover delivery pizza that tasted way better after reheating it in the oven on a pizza stone than it did when it was fresh. If you eat leftover pizza cold or from the microwave you are missing out.
I can second this. It even makes Tombstone edible.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Also Jeff poo-poo'ed it a couple podcasts ago but the fry a slice in a covered pan for a couple minutes trick on reheated pizza completely works. You'll want to heat it in the oven first but if you love a crispy crust there's no better method.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cronox2 posted:

Also Jeff poo-poo'ed it a couple podcasts ago but the fry a slice in a covered pan for a couple minutes trick on reheated pizza completely works. You'll want to heat it in the oven first but if you love a crispy crust there's no better method.

I've done that and it tastes great yet I'm with Jeff in deciding that I'd rather just throw it in the microwave for a minute because gently caress it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Waffle iron. Put two slices together like a sandwich and iron that fucker.

Microwaving pizza makes it taste sad but I guess most chain pizza is already sad.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What are you people doing reheating pizza? Room temperature is the only way old pizza should be eaten.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If you put a cup of water in the microwave with the pizza it will make the crust stay good.

That said, room temperature is definitely the best way to eat old pizza.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cold pizza is the best part of not eating a whole pizza the night before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Why would you put effort into eating old junk food? It's like you don't know what junk food is for. Pick it up and put it in your mouth. Done.

• Locked thread