Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

It's not Falcon Friday :(

e: on the interview thing - it's important to show up one notch higher than the dress code because people will assume you're putting your best foot forward and that your day to day is a bit more relaxed. So if you've got holes in your jeans and a mustard stain the size of Africa on your Interview Tank Top, people will assume you're even worse when you're not dressing up.

I know, I felt bad about it for a minute.

Also, when I interviewed at Ready at Dawn I WAY overdressed. I still got the job so other than them laughing at me it didn't really do anything detrimental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Zlodo posted:

lol @ a tie at a game job

We work next to some accountancy place and it's like Mad Men suit central in there and here's me camo pants, company minecraft shirt, no shoes in the office ever an im like wodup

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Suits are for funerals.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh man nothing better than finishing 3 weeks of overtime. I never thought it would end. Now I get to enjoy tomorrow off. I forgot how crunch time felt :v:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Suits are for funerals.

Which is what most (non-game) industry jobs feel like.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

floofyscorp posted:

Personally, I wear jeans(nice ones that fit me well) rather than a skirt for games interviews, and a nice shirt of some kind. Subtle makeup and nails(avoid glitter), and nice but not overly busy jewelry, if you like to wear those kinds of things. If you don't normally wear makeup/nail polish/jewelry don't bust it all out for the first time for an interview, you'll feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. Neat and tidy will do you fine. I usually chance giving my hair a once-over with my ghd but inevitably it will be windy or wet outside and all my hair-related efforts are in vain, so I clip it back instead. Subtle perfume - now is not the moment to smell like Katy Perry's farts. Nice shoes are also a must - I have a pair of neat heeled boots that I wear for Serious Self-Promotion Occasions because they make me feel like a badass. Never underestimate the value of feeling like a badass when you go into these things.
(I actually wear t-shirt, jeans and no makeup more or less exclusively, just swap out the top for something nicer for interviews, maaaaybe slacks but that's it, because I am a nerd - I was just goofing on Got Haggis?)

I am convinced it is a good strategy for women in gamedev, though. The women on our team that dressed prettily either got labelled "cute" and hit on, or became known as "the ice queen." I really liked "the ice queen," but even I refer to her that way if I'm talking with friends, since no one else remembered her name it seems like. :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 28, 2014

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Nice fitting jeans, button up shirt tucked in, belt, boots (or dressy-ish shoes). Never fails me. If you're a bit on the chubby/fat side, a button up shirt untucked is fine too.

I'm never overdressed or underdressed with that setup. It works out pretty good.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Oh dang. There's more female characters now? That is super cool.

... also, we ran into a similar thing with LEGO Universe - we were focusing down to a simple plastic/cartoon rendering style that would have been super simple to build levels for. But then our art direction decided we needed to bake lighting into every zone, using Maya, and our content production rate shot up to 6 months per level. :ughh:

We got home and discovered Anna and Elsa are also out now (so guess what we're hunting for next!).

As far as attire goes, if I don't have a good idea what the office is like, I default to nice jeans or slacks and a polo or button-up over a white t-shirt. I find this is a pretty 'safe' nice-but-not-too-formal choice. I've been told it also looks very "professional designer/programmer" to most people-- especially a nice polo. Try to make good color choices-- I wear my red polo with blue jeans and my red Converse All-Stars, or my black polo with beige slacks and... my black all-stars.

More than anything, though, you should look good and be able to appear comfortable in whatever you wear, IMO. Wear it around the house if you need to.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
I'm going to tell you a story about interviews and wardrobe planning.

The last time I interviewed was in 2009. I couldn't convince myself that jeans would be fine. My plan was to go with a polo and khakis, business-casual.

The day of the interview, I go check my closet, and only then do I remember that I had actually donated all of my khakis -- I lost some weight, and they had gotten too big. The only dressy pants I owned were part of a two piece suit that I had worn to a wedding. They were also a bit too big, but whatever, I'd just make sure my belt was tight. I was close to running late at this point, so I tugged on a polo and was out the door.

As I exit my car in the studio's parking garage, I realize that I had forgotten my belt.

I also notice that the button on these pants is barely hanging on. The slightest tug, and only the zipper stands between me and my dignity. I have to hike them up occasionally to keep them in the safe zone. But it's fine, it'll be okay, the interview is going to be in the conference room, and we'll be sitting down! Crisis averted. The interview goes well, and I've forgotten about my pants panic. Everything's fine! I've got this.

They decide to give me a tour of the studio.

So there I am, hoping that nobody pays too much attention to my mismatched pants, much less the fact that they are sagging off of me. I'm afraid that my constant tugging is becoming obvious. I try to hide it. I emphasize points by putting my hands on my hips, but only because it gives me a few seconds of precious support. I slip my hands in my pockets as I walk around, so that I can also pull upwards on the inside cloth. Every time I have to shake someone's hand, I panic a little.

The tour takes an hour. Oh god, it goes on and on, it's exciting and all but come on guys, I have a pants problem here, don't you see???

Somehow I keep it together during all of this and manage to impress everybody. I got the job, and have been here for about four years. I told them about my ordeal later, and apparently nobody noticed any of it at the time (luckily, the studio is generally lit like a bar). They said they just thought I had very expressive body language.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm interviewing for a junior-level programming job soon. Are there any stock questions in the industry that you don't hear elsewhere? Or anything in general that I should be aware of that's industry-specific.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
^^^
Brush up on your linear algebra. It's a surprisingly common questioning line in interviews (though I hate the fact that it is).

How the hell do you create a portfolio as a designer?

Attending things like the Global Game Jam or other 48-hour design competitions is a great start. You really need playable stuff, as has been said.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm interviewing for a junior-level programming job soon. Are there any stock questions in the industry that you don't hear elsewhere? Or anything in general that I should be aware of that's industry-specific.

Linear algebra and memory management. Then again, it really depends on what language they expect you to work in (a client-side C++ interview is going to focus on different things than writing python for servers)

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My favorite interview question was:
List all of the ways you can think of to multiply a number by X without using *, or /, or assembly.

As for stock questions. Bone up on your linked lists. That is always a crowd favorite. For example, write a function that determines if a linked list is circular. Do it without looping the list more than once.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 28, 2014

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Suits are for funerals.

and classy work parties. Owning a drat nice suit and being able to smarten up when you want to kind of owns. :v:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Aliginge posted:

and classy work parties. Owning a drat nice suit and being able to smarten up when you want to kind of owns. :v:

True. Thankfully they only come once a year.

This year our Christmas party was prohibition themed.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think you've got some UV issues there

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Open bar. Camera phones. Gambling tables. A bad environment for photography.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Observe: Motion blur bug
Cannot replicate while sober

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aliginge posted:

Observe: Motion blur bug
Cannot replicate while sober

If you don't do drunk testing on your game then I dunno what to tell you, son.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sion posted:

If you don't do drunk testing on your game then I dunno what to tell you, son.

Yeah, that's usually when the whiskey comes out.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
One drink per bug fix.

Observe: Not drunk enough
Steps to reproduce: Try to stand

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds

True. Thankfully they only come once a year.

This year our Christmas party was prohibition themed.

Haha no way, so was ours. Such a great theme for a party

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

The Oid posted:

Haha no way, so was ours. Such a great theme for a party

Did you have bathtub cocktails? :colbert:

Forti
May 5, 2009

We had a dude turn up for an interview at our place wearing a tank top and cutoffs. He was an interesting fellow :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Better than someone showing up in a full matrix jacket (aka the long black trench coat) and fedora.

Yeah...

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
God drat I'm glad I lost the trench coat...and the weight...while I was still in QA. 10 loving years in that piece of poo poo. What was I thinking.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

superh posted:

One drink per bug fix.

Observe: Not drunk enough
Steps to reproduce: Try to stand

Seriously though most of your players are going to be shitfaced at some point when they play your game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

This outfit is pretty much why I hate working in/with VC tech companies. OOOH THE BURNING RAGE

As one of "those people", I finally figured out why.

It's super loving easy to pack. You can rewear both the jeans and jacket, so you just need changes of underwear and t-shirts. Plus it looks decent.

So what I'm trying to say is BACK OFF MAN.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Will anyone be at DICE next week? We should team up for the go-kart tournament. I'll be there Tuesday to Friday.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So whoever it was that recommended Twine however many years ago I thank you for lodging that suggestion in my brain, even if I only got around to using it right now. I really, really wish I'd picked this up before, it would've made writing dialogue trees a helluva lot easier. I just spent an hour writing a short, lightly branching story and it was loving fun.

Also I spent a chunk of the weekend prototyping some game mechanic ideas I had for a tender and now it looks like we're never going to get it because everybody wants me to do their jobs for them and goddamnit I was looking forward to making that game :mad:

Forti
May 5, 2009

Something else underneath, I hope.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I'm sitting back after sending out an invoice and thinking about how fast Inverted Axis has grown, holy crap it's mindblowing. Mutata is 007 and we have 008 already accepted and starting on 24 February. In two weeks we'll also have been officially incorporated for six months. We're actually producing stuff now, instead of just planning to produce stuff, which is super nice.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

New IA office policy: Trench coats, fedoras, cut-off jean shorts, and power ties ONLY.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I would like to believe that via omission you are enforcing a barefoot policy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

I would like to believe that via omission you are enforcing a barefoot policy.

Footwear isn't dictated, but socks with flip-flop sandals are encouraged.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

mutata posted:

I'd lean more towards actively desired.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Mega Shark posted:

I'd lean more towards actively desired.

Are you channelling one of the programmers that I used to work with? This guy got several dozen terabytes worth of hard disks delivered to work and I was like 'dude what are you gonna fill forty five terabytes with?' He replied, without missing a beat, 'lossless compression anime.'

He also tried to hang a huge, twenty foot tall wall scroll of Lightning from final fantasy but the office manager walked over to him and said 'No, I'm drawing a line here.'

He's brilliant at his job but he's also deeply eccentric. You always got a pretty distinct feeling that he was much smarter than anyone else in the room too which is always a little intimidating.

Sion fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 29, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

mutata posted:

I look forward to being old enough to pull off the "socks and birkenstocks" look. For extra pizzaz, you use colorful wool socks, and just throw them all into a drawer such that they never match.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Shalinor posted:

I look forward to being old enough to pull off the "socks and birkenstocks" look. For extra pizzaz, you use colorful wool socks, and just throw them all into a drawer such that they never match.

You are never to young to go for socks n stocks. Its more of a lifestyle thing than an age thing anyways, and you are spot on about the drawer thing - the only time its weird is if the socks DO match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sion posted:

Are you channelling one of the programmers that I used to work with? This guy got several dozen terabytes worth of hard disks delivered to work and I was like 'dude what are you gonna fill forty five terabytes with?' He replied, without missing a beat, 'lossless compression anime.'

He also tried to hang a huge, twenty foot tall wall scroll of Lightning from final fantasy but the office manager walked over to him and said 'No, I'm drawing a line here.'

He's brilliant at his job but he's also deeply eccentric. You always got a pretty distinct feeling that he was much smarter than anyone else in the room too which is always a little intimidating.

We all know that programmer, all of us. If you don't, it's like the old rule, "There's always a crazy person on the bus, if you don't see them, its you."