Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
AAA does that to, their system requires it apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

"Well there was an interchange about 100 miles ago... will that work?"

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
From Alabama, where it never snows. And gently caress you when it does.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Stupid phone double posting.

JRay88 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 28, 2014

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I always cringe when I see pictures like that.

Hmm, its slippery and people are having trouble controlling their vehicles? I better leave the safety of my own and have a look-see!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Seriously? This is nothing, like absolutely nothing. If you have trouble driving in this you need to get your drivers licence removed.

Yes I always love the folks that feel the need to remove themselves from their steel safety cage and walk around in bad conditions in fleshy glory. People who get out of their cars in a crash are bad at life.

If your car is badly mangled, time to get on the other side of whatever barrier / ditch exists and wait for help there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm going to bet that Alabama has no laws about winter tires, and with summer tires even half an inch of snow is going to put you in trouble.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm going to bet that most people in Alabama are tooling around on dry-rotted, bald, cheap summer tires because they rarely if ever experience a situation in which traction is limited.

It's why rainstorms are such a ridiculous death orgy in California. Little bit of surface water and it's hydroplane city.

We have tons of morons in Canada who are tooling around on bald all-seasons but the fact that they can't get out of their driveway for eight months in a row tends to limit their potential damage.

e: vvv Yeah there is a definite perception among people who have never driven in a low-traction condition that brakes are always the "save me" button.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 28, 2014

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Seriously this is horrible. People around here have no clue how to drive in any limited traction situation. I've seen 20 or so wrecks because people think "oh poo poo I'm sliding a little time for BRAKES!!!!!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Even caring enough to buy separate summer/winter tires probably puts you in the 95th percentile of drivers, depending on what state you're in.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm going to bet that most people in Alabama are tooling around on dry-rotted, bald, cheap summer tires because they rarely if ever experience a situation in which traction is limited.

They do that here in New England and just go careening into the ditch anyway and pretend to be surprised.

Are there places with actual laws regarding winter tires? I know there are places that mandate chains but that's not exactly going to be in any kind of urban / suburban area.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are there places with actual laws regarding winter tires? I know there are places that mandate chains but that's not exactly going to be in any kind of urban / suburban area.

Yes, Quebec mandates them at current.

Ze Germans do not mandate them, but I believe you can be found at fault for accidents if you are not running them. Your insurance company probably also gets pissed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

As for Sweden and winter tyres, straight from the Swedish Transport Agency:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was driving around northeastern PA this weekend in these conditions:

All of the locals were driving reasonable speeds, maybe 5 or 10 mph slower than normal at most on straights, easing into turns with smooth deceleration. But every now and then you'd get stuck behind a tourist from NY doing not more than 20 mph, with a line of cars 15 deep stuck behind them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Instead of winter tires, I'm going to get a winter beater.

Or just a beater and put some sheet metal screws as death studs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yes, Quebec mandates them at current.

Ze Germans do not mandate them, but I believe you can be found at fault for accidents if you are not running them. Your insurance company probably also gets pissed.

My insurance company gives me a sweet discount for having them and thankfully haven't made the connection that they're on a RWD no traction control drift machine.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yep, it's still snowing. C'mon people, it's Western New York, you can go more than five snails per hour.

On Monday, I saw a lady get pulled over by 3 cop cars. Of course traffic slowed the gently caress down, but it was all for nothing: two cops went on their way, the lady went vavoomon her way and the last car just sat there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Instead of winter tires, I'm going to get a winter beater.

Or just a beater and put some sheet metal screws as death studs.

You're not going to give us any clearer pictures or post that over in CA? I wanna know how you/they fit three inch death spikes under a front fender.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I hate the 5mphers
But I also hate people who ride my rear end when I'm keeping distance from the guy doing 20 in a 40.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You're not going to give us any clearer pictures or post that over in CA? I wanna know how you/they fit three inch death spikes under a front fender.
What front fender?

(not the same bike)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That looks like a really bad and really time consuming idea. Heh.

"Gonna need more beer to finish this one."

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You do that to run on like a frozen lake, not regular roads.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm going to bet that Alabama has no laws about winter tires, and with summer tires even half an inch of snow is going to put you in trouble.

Please understand that this poo poo rarely happens in Alabama (or in most places in the Deep South, for that matter). So I have no choice but to take it in stride when a normal 30 minute commute turns into nearly seven hours of pure, unadulterated fuckery due to iced-up roads.

At least I found that a slow and steady start (and slightly less air than normal in your drive tires) gives you more traction than peeling out full-throttle in hopes of burning a dry spot in the ground for traction.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

You do that to run on like a frozen lake, not regular roads.
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTqcAoLuTnc
This is kind of a behind the scenes of another video, but the original has fallen victim to Youtube's overzealous content protection filter and has no sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_weIUwd_o

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

speaking of wintery death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9lF_9m7yQ

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man this doesn't seem so bad... Oh Holy fffffffuuuuckk.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Me: Oh boy another video where someone tries to drift in the snow and does something stupid
*watches video*
me: NO NO NO that's not what this is at all!

That had me crapping my pants and I'm inside on a computer chair.

I wonder if he could framebyframe that bitch and get the numbers off of the truck door.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Me: Oh boy another video where someone tries to drift in the snow and does something stupid
*watches video*
me: NO NO NO that's not what this is at all!

That had me crapping my pants and I'm inside on a computer chair.

I wonder if he could framebyframe that bitch and get the numbers off of the truck door.

Shouldn't really have to do too much, guy is hauling hazmat and if there was a scale nearby, they have to have a record of him crossing it.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I'm stuck on US280 south of Birmingham, could someone stop by with some snow chains?
Thanks in advance...

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Any of you guys work in container drayage? What's the word about it, is it a better/worse job other types of trucking and why?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

I'm stuck on US280 south of Birmingham, could someone stop by with some snow chains?
Thanks in advance...

Lock in powerdivider, hammer down son.

kathmandu posted:

Any of you guys work in container drayage? What's the word about it, is it a better/worse job other types of trucking and why?

I believe there is someone who did it more recent than I have. But are you port or rail?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Lock in powerdivider, hammer down son.

With 7k in the box? I'm waiting this one out. My route takes me from Opelika to Lansing, I've never shut down for snow or ice, this ice is different somehow, maybe it's the completely untreated roads.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

With 7k in the box? I'm waiting this one out. My route takes me from Opelika to Lansing, I've never shut down for snow or ice, this ice is different somehow, maybe it's the completely untreated roads.

Yeah gently caress it, if everybody is being stupid, best bet is not to join them.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It's the completely untreaded roads because Birmingham and Atlanta don't believe in 'salt'

I threw chain in Atlanta, only to stop dead a half hour and 10 miles later and sat 18 hours. We went through the middle of town to avoid an accident that covered 4 lanes. Then between ATL and Birmingham a R&L set of doubles turned sideways and into the median on I-20 East blocking all lanes and 20 miles from anything. Glad I was going the other way.

Now I'm in Orlando hoping it's cleared up because I just know they're gonna send us right back to ATL to get the freight to catch up.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
As someone living in a country where the answer to all and every kind of winter road is SALT, I can tell you that salt has a few, very specific kinds of wintry conditions where it works great. Most of the time it just turns everything into slush (making poo poo worse) AND it rusts the hell out of your car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It also can be disruptive to the environment.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

It also can be disruptive to the environment.

Not as disruptive as a couple of hundred gallons of diesel and unleaded though.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

I believe there is someone who did it more recent than I have. But are you port or rail?

Neither, actually. I work for an import freight forwarder, so I work with lots of drayage companies. Just wondering what container drayage is like for the drivers. I hear about a lot of lovely parts-- long lines at port or rail and such. Chicago in particular has been hellish lately, from the sound of it. Is it better or worse than road work?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My single memory of dealing with a port was them calling dispatch and raging out and demanding I turn around 40 miles down the road to go back and fill out their little digital check-out form again because it didn't go right the first time. I still regret so much as acknowledging that message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kathmandu posted:

Neither, actually. I work for an import freight forwarder, so I work with lots of drayage companies. Just wondering what container drayage is like for the drivers. I hear about a lot of lovely parts-- long lines at port or rail and such. Chicago in particular has been hellish lately, from the sound of it. Is it better or worse than road work?

Depends I guess, I mean you can be home every night if you are lucky and only pulling port, but since I stopped doing any container work, they've added TWIC ([ask] me about entering a port and foreign trade zone without a TWIC card :smug: ) and more bullshit. I guess the union roadworthness guys are more like worthless guys and take hours to change lights on the dollies, that's some of the poo poo I hear from some of our port drivers, and I really wish they'd stop trying to loving steal my mudflaps, loving container drivers don't know what to do with a short dolly motherfuckers I can burn this place down I swear to god...

Anyway, it's really roll of the dice, you can have a good crew and get poo poo loving down, or you can have the worthless fucks that won't put down the cellphone to do poo poo.

• Locked thread