Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've got a vassal inheritance warning I want to check on. My vassal, the Duchess of Normandy, has that duchy title + 3 counties. Her daughter is set to inherit all 4 titles, but already owns the title to one county outside my realm, and is a vassal to the Duchess of Toulouse.

Is that actually a problem? When the girl gains the Duchy of Normandy, wouldn't that supersede the county she already has and make her vassalized to me (King of Ireland)?

I think so? Vassal inheritance warnings can be kind of weird. The game keeps insisting I'm at risk of losing Cyprus due to it being held by a prince of Portugal, despite the fact that Portugal no longer exists and he's the only member of his family that holds any land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

lenoon posted:

Reincarnation? Yessssss this is going to be the best dlc ever

It could have some cool events. Like if you assassinate someone, and 30 years later you get an event while having summer fair:

You were checking out some pottery when you suddenly realized that your personal guards were nowhere to be found. You frantically started looking for them, when your eyes fall on a young man. You have never seen him before, but he looks eerily familiar, like from a world gone by. As he passes you, he looks directly into your eyes and quietly whispers: "I know what you did to me. I remember everything."

rvm
May 6, 2013
So I decided to play Empire of Tartaria (Cumania start), reformed Tengri faith, vassalized the Holy Order and got rid of gavelkind in two generations. Tengri is ridiculously overpowered and so bland. Also, de jure Tartaria is so poor, it's like a castle and a half per kingdom. The map looks hilarious, yellow menacing blob above Byzantines while in fact they can field twice more troops.

And my vassholes mass-joined a faction for my half-brother that I nominated as my heir in the first place. I don't even know.

rvm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 28, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've got a vassal inheritance warning I want to check on. My vassal, the Duchess of Normandy, has that duchy title + 3 counties. Her daughter is set to inherit all 4 titles, but already owns the title to one county outside my realm, and is a vassal to the Duchess of Toulouse.

Is that actually a problem? When the girl gains the Duchy of Normandy, wouldn't that supersede the county she already has and make her vassalized to me (King of Ireland)?

That depends. If she is part of an actual kingdom/empire, then I am pretty sure she will inherit the duchy and become a vassal of the king/emperor that is the liege of the Duchess of Toulouse. If the Duchess of Toulouse is independent then I think the new Duchess of Normandy will become your vassal and bring her one county into your realm, but I am not 100% sure.

Edit:

rvm posted:

And my vassholes mass-joined a faction for my half-brother that I nominated as my heir in the first place.

Vassholes? That is great.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Disco Infiva posted:

It could have some cool events. Like if you assassinate someone, and 30 years later you get an event while having summer fair:

You were checking out some pottery when you suddenly realized that your personal guards were nowhere to be found. You frantically started looking for them, when your eyes fall on a young man. You have never seen him before, but he looks eerily familiar, like from a world gone by. As he passes you, he looks directly into your eyes and quietly whispers: "I know what you did to me. I remember everything."

Crusader Kings II: The Maharajah's Son is the Kwisatz Haderach -HELP!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Disco Infiva posted:

...that would be the most /amazing/ event. :allears:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

That depends. If she is part of an actual kingdom/empire, then I am pretty sure she will inherit the duchy and become a vassal of the king/emperor that is the liege of the Duchess of Toulouse. If the Duchess of Toulouse is independent then I think the new Duchess of Normandy will become your vassal and bring her one county into your realm, but I am not 100% sure.

That must be the issue. Both my kingdom and Toulouse are vassals to the HRE.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Seoinin posted:

inner Africa

The map doesn't seem to extend any further south, so Africa should be the same.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ThePutty posted:

If you draw a line from the south of Sri Lanka across Africa it does go a bit further south, but of course Paradox could just fudge the distances a litle bit and not expand Africa.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Reformed Slavic update.

Had a precarious succession -- 15 yo girl with 2 diplomacy inherited, right before her education finished (Diplomacy, always Diplomacy). Long rebellion war, where I saw more than just the faction rebel -- somehow the faction leaders called in chiefs that weren't part of the faction (any idea how this could have happened?)? Warscore got down to -82% before I managed to right the ship. Imprisoned everyone who rebelled and stripped them of titles.

Later, as I was fighting Catholics as part of a Great Holy War for Germany, the Byzantine Empire chose to attack at the same time. After crushing both, I took vengeance on the Byzantines by chain-truce-breaking until they were out of Southern Europe.

Just had another succession now, this one smooth as silk -- 23 yo girl inherited, with full diplomacy stats. Easily crushed a Catholic Crusade and took swathes of Europe. I think the game is in clean-up phase now, as I'm the strongest power and can basically do whatever I want.

The world in 1115, about a decade into the new reign:

A random question: my heir is in his (dead) father's court and doesn't accept an invite to my court. How can I bring him over here so I can marry him off properly?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 28, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Does "Build spy network" help with both kinds of assassination (via intrigue menu, or via diplomacy menu)?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ThePutty posted:

I meant the Sahara.

Incidentally I think its pretty neat that Paradox thought to put Sijilmasa in there. I like seeing historical landmarks that I've heard of :v:.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

Does "Build spy network" help with both kinds of assassination (via intrigue menu, or via diplomacy menu)?

I think the mission does not influence plot assassinations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I just remember a glitch I had a long time ago. I think it was around The Republic DLC. I was playing as Bulghars in 1066 start (the only muslims in Russia) and I created a nice Empire of Tartaria. I started eyeing up Crimean peninsula, which was Byzantine. They were strong but just ended a exhausting war with the Sultan of Egypt, who was my ally. War ended in white peace, but Byzant lost around half of its levies and its heir was imprisoned by Egyptians. But they were still strong, with over 50 000 men.

I declared holy war, and called all my buddies into it, and as soon as Egyptians accepted, I realized that I now have a 100% warscore! It seems that the Empreror died between wars, and the imprisoned heir inherited the crown. Cool, I'll take a duchy without an arrow fired, thank you very much. But the thing is, after the peace was signed, the Emperor wasn't released since he wasn't in my custody, but in Egypts.

Yep! And in those days, braking truce incurred only -25 relations penalty with independent lords of target religion (oh no :ohdear:). Suffice to say, before the new Emperor could scrounge the money for his release, I conquered the whole Crimean peninsula, some surrounding land and the duchy of Thrace, without a single man dead. Constantinople became my new capitol, and the Romans never recovered.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Seoinin posted:

I meant the Sahara.

Incidentally I think its pretty neat that Paradox thought to put Sijilmasa in there. I like seeing historical landmarks that I've heard of :v:.

You know, it'd be pretty cool if Paradox did a land-bound trade DLC that let you engage with the Saharan trade routes among the plethora of land trade routes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

nutranurse posted:

You know, it'd be pretty cool if Paradox did a land-bound trade DLC that let you engage with the Saharan trade routes among the plethora of land trade routes.

Playable non-ocean republics are probably the only thing I want more than being able to fully customize republic marriage mechanics. Playable theocracies would be third, even if playing the Pope isn't possible.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Seoinin posted:

So is all that stuff north of India going to be blacked out like Siberia and inner Africa? This expansion looks awesome but I'm afraid all the new additions are going to choke my crappy laptop.

From the screenshots and video they've shown, it looks like they've expanded the steppes somewhat (looks like the playable area extends well into the area of modern Kazakhstan, except the very far eastern parts), and reduced the unplayable area in northern Russia, but Tibet and the areas that are now northeastern China are still off limits.

marktheando posted:

If you draw a line from the south of Sri Lanka across Africa it does go a bit further south, but of course Paradox could just fudge the distances a litle bit and not expand Africa.

From what was said in that RPS article, and looking at the Horn of Africa area in the screenshots, it seems the map projection has been tweaked and rotated slightly, in order to fit Sri Lanka in without expanding West Africa much.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So how is war contribution calculated? My Sicily game just had a gigantic Crusade for Greece that somehow ended in the Pope granting me the whole ball of wax. My king is a total martial juggernaut and ended up leading the middle in a few huge fights, but the army he brought with him was dwarfed by a lot of other participants. Is it just based on "who killed the most dudes" or what?

also oh gently caress oh jeez my demesne is at 122/6. how did these holdings get here, I am bad at stewardship.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Seoinin posted:

So how is war contribution calculated? My Sicily game just had a gigantic Crusade for Greece that somehow ended in the Pope granting me the whole ball of wax. My king is a total martial juggernaut and ended up leading the middle in a few huge fights, but the army he brought with him was dwarfed by a lot of other participants. Is it just based on "who killed the most dudes" or what?

also oh gently caress oh jeez my demesne is at 122/6. how did these holdings get here, I am bad at stewardship.

If you hover over the Crusade flag in upper left of the screen, you can see individual points of every participant of that Crusade. Fighting battles and capturing+holding territory gives you points. And your demesne is at 122/6 since you just won the crusade, and all the land is now under your direct control. You should create some new vassals to hold it for you now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Ah, so its based off fighting battles rather than straight up number of troops contributed. There was like a year where the King of Sicily was leading the crusaders in every major battle. And, jesus, nothing leads to major battles quite like the Fatmids controlling the entire Mediterranean clockwise from Anatolia to Gibraltar.

And haha yeah I know why the holdings are there. That was just pretty much my reaction when I got the popup informing me that, hey il papa thinks you're a swell guy and has granted you a dumptruck full of titles.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 28, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Every once in a while people check in, asking how to play Merchant Republics, and a pretty major aspect of it just clicked for me that I don't think I've seen explained here.

The critical thing to realize is that trading posts are more than just income sources: they're claims. Sort of. You might have noticed this in diplomacy menus before, but never really figured out the complete system: having a trading post in a province gives you a free CB to seize a city in that province (as in, if the province has multiple cities, you get a CB for each). The city in that province now belongs to the patrician of the family that owns the trading post.

The critical second component is that owning a city in a foreign province gives Merchant Republics a CB to seize the province outright, and that is how Merchant Republics are meant to take land. It's like fabricating claims, except it takes two wars to finalize the claim, and you can do it whenever the gently caress you want with a 100% chance of success.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DStecks posted:

Every once in a while people check in, asking how to play Merchant Republics, and a pretty major aspect of it just clicked for me that I don't think I've seen explained here.

The critical thing to realize is that trading posts are more than just income sources: they're claims. Sort of. You might have noticed this in diplomacy menus before, but never really figured out the complete system: having a trading post in a province gives you a free CB to seize a city in that province (as in, if the province has multiple cities, you get a CB for each). The city in that province now belongs to the patrician of the family that owns the trading post.

The critical second component is that owning a city in a foreign province gives Merchant Republics a CB to seize the province outright, and that is how Merchant Republics are meant to take land. It's like fabricating claims, except it takes two wars to finalize the claim, and you can do it whenever the gently caress you want with a 100% chance of success.

Trading post are also a significant source of military might, since the garrison upgrades increase your retinue cap.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Trogdos! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQmY4TKUrc

Paradox uploaded rajas of india teaser. (Only 3 seconds of it being outside europe :ssh:)

Paradox, there's a guide to fixing the black flag problem right on your tech support forum :ssh:

grancheater fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2014

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

arhra posted:

From the screenshots and video they've shown, it looks like they've expanded the steppes somewhat (looks like the playable area extends well into the area of modern Kazakhstan, except the very far eastern parts), and reduced the unplayable area in northern Russia, but Tibet and the areas that are now northeastern China are still off limits.

From what was said in that RPS article, and looking at the Horn of Africa area in the screenshots, it seems the map projection has been tweaked and rotated slightly, in order to fit Sri Lanka in without expanding West Africa much.

So nice to see the whole Aral Sea/Balkh area not looking like total rear end anymore.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

gently caress Pisa forever. Playing as Venice, Pisa can just take what they want whenever the gently caress they want it, and you can't do poo poo about it. And you can't call allies into trade wars, so you're basically just hosed forever for the sin of not playing the boring-as-poo poo merchant republic that gets everything handed to it.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
How can you see what titles in your empire are actually in foreign hands (like baronies owned by holy orders) without clicking on each and every province you own? I've got about two thirds of Europe, all of Africa and most of the Middle East and the SPQR achievement still hasn't popped and I'm starting to get really annoyed with the dumb restrictive UI that won't ever tell you what you want to know.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

DStecks posted:

Torrannor posted:

Trading post are also a significant source of military might, since the garrison upgrades increase your retinue cap.

Okay, some things make a lot more sense now. Thanks, guys.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I love how the Khan still thinks he's tough poo poo even after you've smashed his freebie hoard troops and so he's stuck with only his lovely realm levies.

Just keep on declaring those invasions of Arabia lil' guy :3:

DStecks posted:

gently caress Pisa forever. Playing as Venice, Pisa can just take what they want whenever the gently caress they want it, and you can't do poo poo about it. And you can't call allies into trade wars, so you're basically just hosed forever for the sin of not playing the boring-as-poo poo merchant republic that gets everything handed to it.

gently caress merchant republics and landed mercenaries/orders in general. I can't even pretend to participate in cardinal elections anymore because they can outbid my entire kingdom with their junk change. They've even been sniping my bids a microsecond before the election winner's annouced as if burying me in gold wasn't enough. The college is filled with Almafi and Santiago representatives. Every single crusade has been won by a holy order even when I'm gaming the war system, though part of that can be attributed to bad luck. They certainly punch well above their weight I'll say that much.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

HenessyHero posted:

gently caress merchant republics and landed mercenaries/orders in general. I can't even pretend to participate in cardinal elections anymore because they can outbid my entire kingdom with their junk change. They've even been sniping my bids a microsecond before the election winner's annouced as if burying me in gold wasn't enough. The college is filled with Almafi and Santiago representatives. Every single crusade has been won by a holy order even when I'm gaming the war system, though part of that can be attributed to bad luck. They certainly punch well above their weight I'll say that much.

I think the whole problem is that they work great as OPM's or as duchies, because they have advantages that keep them competitive with bigger realms, and their increased stability keeps them in the game longer than a feudal realm of the same size, giving the world some more flavour. This is a good thing.

The problem is that there are no diminishing returns on the advantages that knights and republics get. A tiny crusader state being resilient as poo poo is good, because it keeps that flavour in the game and it reflects their militant nature. But when an order of knights controls all of loving Ibera, they don't stop being resilient as poo poo. The problem, ultimately, is that republics and knights don't deal with internal politics like feudal realms do, and so much of how the game works is balanced around feudal internal politics.

TL;DR: Knights and republics work just great assuming everything plays out historically, but if things jump the rails and they start blobbing, then nothing can stop them because Paradox didn't plan for that.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Anybody know how RoI will interact with,say, SoA? Imagine your displeasure to realize your nephew is the reincarnation of your Demonspawn ancestor..

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If anything, there should be a lot more deaths in landed merc/knight lands. These guys should be constantly fighting with one another for control since they don't have to deal with feudal concepts all that much.

I hope the next minor DLC gives republics and landed mercs an overhaul. I would really like to play as a non-merchant republic someday.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Speaking of landed holy orders: The Chosen of Perkunas got a castle in the rear end end of Sweden when they formed. It looks like I have the option to grant them land elsewhere should I desire to do so....but should I desire to do so? Even another Barony? They are not my vassal yet even though they own land inside my lands, would granting them a barony or a county change that? Or if I give them a county inside du jure lands of mine could I declare war on them to force vassalization?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am disappointed to find out I can't proselytize to the Aztecs. The pagans have mostly embraced Christianity...even the Il Khanate is a form of it. I either wanted the option to remove annoying bishops or be able to marry the Aztecs drat it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DStecks posted:

I think the whole problem is that they work great as OPM's or as duchies, because they have advantages that keep them competitive with bigger realms, and their increased stability keeps them in the game longer than a feudal realm of the same size, giving the world some more flavour. This is a good thing.

The problem is that there are no diminishing returns on the advantages that knights and republics get. A tiny crusader state being resilient as poo poo is good, because it keeps that flavour in the game and it reflects their militant nature. But when an order of knights controls all of loving Ibera, they don't stop being resilient as poo poo. The problem, ultimately, is that republics and knights don't deal with internal politics like feudal realms do, and so much of how the game works is balanced around feudal internal politics.

TL;DR: Knights and republics work just great assuming everything plays out historically, but if things jump the rails and they start blobbing, then nothing can stop them because Paradox didn't plan for that.

Hey man, if my Knights of Santiago just took over Iberia I'd just embrace that alt-history and laugh and laugh and wonder how colonizing the new world would go about. Probably as a crusade.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Hey man, if my Knights of Santiago just took over Iberia I'd just embrace that alt-history and laugh and laugh and wonder how colonizing the new world would go about. Probably as a crusade.

Knights conquering huge swaths of land would be some neat as gently caress alt-history if it didn't happen in nearly every drat game. See also: Super-Pisa and Reformed Tengri. Every drat game.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Hey if any of the CK2plus guys still read this thread, when you have to update CK2plus for the new map, how about your make the 'improved' version with a bunch of weird provinces and sea tiles an optional module (or better yet not at all)? This definitely should have been done for the awful dungeon mod that was integrated as well, but fortunately it's pretty simple to delete from the files after each update.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Me and a friend are trying to play a multiplayer game through Hamachi with him as the host. After failing to connect, I tried doing all that port forwarding stuff that's posted on the Paradox forums, and still all I got was "game not found". Same when he tried to connect to me. What do I do? The metaserver is down, so we can't play though that.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 29, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DStecks posted:

Knights conquering huge swaths of land would be some neat as gently caress alt-history if it didn't happen in nearly every drat game. See also: Super-Pisa and Reformed Tengri. Every drat game.

Really? I rarely see the republics survive in TOG start. I'm starring at Italy right now and not one of them is independent. Also Tengri hasn't reformed, due to Hungary getting stymied, and the Il Khanate are now Nestorian Christians. Maybe its a VIET thing that neuters them? Of the vassal republics Genoa is doing the best. Though I just realized that Italy went from my dynasty to the Fallerios...who were a Genoan merchant family.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Why is reformed Tengriism so feared? I never see them do anything but war with other pagans. I don't think I've ever seen them holy war a Christian nation.

edit: Also, are you supposed to be able to declare wars while you have a levy fleet called up? I just started a war and scrolled down and noticed I never dismissed a fleet once I was done with it.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mustang posted:

Why is reformed Tengriism so feared? I never see them do anything but war with other pagans. I don't think I've ever seen them holy war a Christian nation.

edit: Also, are you supposed to be able to declare wars while you have a levy fleet called up? I just started a war and scrolled down and noticed I never dismissed a fleet once I was done with it.

Because this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Y7uFT-MNo Hungary, and Tengri are the best starts/faiths for taking over the whole drat world.Granted for Christians just Tengri is bad enough, only pagans really need to worry about reformed Tengri.

• Locked thread