Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

What a sad week this is.

Unrelatedly,

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Communication Breakdown Comix, it's always the same.

Pooch Café

Ah, I see Paul subscribes to the Sergio Leone philosophy that the characters can only see what the audience sees. Logically Poncho should have seen that thing coming a ways back since they've both been walking right towards it, but it hasn't been in shot until now. It effectively did not exist.

Ballard Street

Nobody actually wants to communicate with Uncle Archie. His system works.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 28, 2014

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pretty funny and I don't know why.

Fingerpori and Fok_it both great today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Indolent Bastard posted:

I almost never "get" this strip.
The company's such a cheapskate that it's not only distributing a yearly bonus randomly, it's not even giving out real money.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (October 14-16, 1926)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

You wimped out on the Romero Special, Val!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is he wearing on his head? A helmet while driving a car?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Trent posted:

What the hell is he wearing on his head? A helmet while driving a car?

Its a flat-hat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Of course the main problem is he's taking jabs at people who do nothing but make fun of themselves. They're hilarious and the wife beater is just embarrassing himself by trying to be funny by association.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
A wee pals truly ahead of its time.

The left one, if you were unsure which one I meant.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Don Martin Dept.
How's this for a new addition? Don Martin (1931-2000), for those who don't know, was MAD Magazine's "Maddest Artist". His first appearance in MAD was issue #29, September 1956, after Al Feldstein took over Harvey Kurtzman's spot as the chief editor of the magazine. Martin's cartoons were always full of outrageous puns, hilarious artwork, and the weird-rear end sound effects. He was an influential figure in cartooning; Bud Grace (Piranha Club) frequently cites him as his biggest influence.

Even though Martin gets all the credit, he had gag writers helping him out. For years Don "Duck" Edwing was his primary writer, working uncredited. It wasn't until the mid-1970s that the magazine started giving credit to his writers.

Martin quit MAD in 1987 due to royalty disputes with publisher Bill Gaines; his final cartoon appeared in March 1988. Martin went to draw cartoons for the rival Cracked magazine. He also drew a newspaper strip called The Nutheads (which I posted in the last year's thread).

Hopefully you guys will enjoy these. Here are three; after this I'm going to aim for posting one strip per day.

(Mad #53, March 1960)

(Mad #109, March 1967)

(Mad #119, June 1968)

Thorn (January 19-20, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 4, 2004)

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Hey here's a question for you Mr. Beeg (or anyone else).

What happens with WeePals next? Do they end the strip, or run reruns until a new person comes along? It wasn't a zombie strip, but would they make it one?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Did we ever find out WHY Tony Stark loaned his old armor to 3J? Are there some dirty pictures he doesn't want getting out or something?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Hey here's a question for you Mr. Beeg (or anyone else).

What happens with WeePals next? Do they end the strip, or run reruns until a new person comes along? It wasn't a zombie strip, but would they make it one?

The syndicate hasn't said anything yet. The odds are, though, that they'll continue to run the leftover strips then end it after the backlog runs out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Did we ever find out WHY Tony Stark loaned his old armor to 3J? Are there some dirty pictures he doesn't want getting out or something?

Probably arranged for some free ad space for Stark Industries, or J3 paid Tony for a rental.

Does anyone see Jonah climbing into the old school Iron Man armor in about three strips or so? That would rock if he did.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JJJ made a donation to tony's favorite charity apparently.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

JaggerMcDagger posted:

A wee pals truly ahead of its time.

The left one, if you were unsure which one I meant.

He should have been punched for having that sign ready and waiting to go. Wonder how long that little fucker was holding on to it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

They need that money to upgrade their computer systems from the 80s CRT tech they're using.

It looks like it's all one piece.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mister Beeg posted:

Don Martin Dept.
How's this for a new addition? Don Martin (1931-2000), for those who don't know, was MAD Magazine's "Maddest Artist". His first appearance in MAD was issue #29, September 1956, after Al Feldstein took over Harvey Kurtzman's spot as the chief editor of the magazine. Martin's cartoons were always full of outrageous puns, hilarious artwork, and the weird-rear end sound effects. He was an influential figure in cartooning; Bud Grace (Piranha Club) frequently cites him as his biggest influence.

Even though Martin gets all the credit, he had gag writers helping him out. For years Don "Duck" Edwing was his primary writer, working uncredited. It wasn't until the mid-1970s that the magazine started giving credit to his writers.

Martin quit MAD in 1987 due to royalty disputes with publisher Bill Gaines; his final cartoon appeared in March 1988. Martin went to draw cartoons for the rival Cracked magazine. He also drew a newspaper strip called The Nutheads (which I posted in the last year's thread).

Hopefully you guys will enjoy these. Here are three; after this I'm going to aim for posting one strip per day.

(Mad #53, March 1960)

(Mad #109, March 1967)

(Mad #119, June 1968)

Hell YES, Don Martin is my favorite cartoonist this side of Sergio Aragones! (By the way, if you ever get the chance to meet Sergio, take it. He is the most sweet, lovely, funny man you'll ever meet.)
Keep 'em comin' Mr. Beeg!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Once Wee Pals hits permanent reruns I'm going to stop posting it, so in the meantime I'll be trying out a few replacements. Prepare for a small glut of comics today.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

A single panel comic about dogs. It's newer and it only updates 3 times a week, so I'm starting from the beginning. From what I've seen it's actually pretty funny.

Arlo and Janis

Pretty okay comic about a middle aged couple, similar to Rose is Rose except not unbearably sweet. If you don't understand the joke then it means they're talking about sex.

Lost Side of Surburbia

I have precisely no clue what this is about but I'm posting it because I like the art.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Some sort of story driven thing. It only updates 3 times a week and is also newish, so I'm starting from the beginning. Seems like it could be interesting so I'm honestly sort of curious to see where it goes.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Had a few things I planned to do once I got caught up with the thread, but unfortunately, one of them acquired priority along the way. The rest, after some rest.

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you for this.

Also, quoting because your post does not deserve to get lost in an avalanche.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Hell YES, Don Martin is my favorite cartoonist this side of Sergio Aragones! (By the way, if you ever get the chance to meet Sergio, take it. He is the most sweet, lovely, funny man you'll ever meet.)
Keep 'em comin' Mr. Beeg!
Oh yeah, I'm a Sergio Aragones fan. He's one of the reasons why I still buy Mad nowadays (also Deep Hurting, who does work for the magazine).

His "Sergio Aragones Funnies" comic book is a blast; sadly it's ending with issue 12 next month, although Mark Evanier says they're working on a new comic. I also finally started reading "Groo"

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 29, 2014

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mister Beeg posted:

Oh yeah, I'm a Sergio Aragones fan. He's one of the reasons why I still buy Mad nowadays (also Deep Hurting, who does work for the magazine).

His "Sergio Aragones Funnies" comic book is a blast; sadly it's ending with issue 12 next month, although Mark Evanier says they're working on a new comic. I also finally started reading "Groo"

Did the "Funnies" comic ever get a collected edition? I'd be all over that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Am I taking crazy pills, or has something happened in Luann!?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Did the "Funnies" comic ever get a collected edition? I'd be all over that.

At the moment, no. Maybe it'll happen after the last issue hits the stands, but I'm not sure.

I have every issue at the moment, so I'm good for now, although I would definitely buy a collected paperback when/if it's available.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

Office Hours

I'm not going to post Office Hours every day, just every so often.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Mark Trail

Quincy

Office Hours

I'm not going to post Office Hours every day, just every so often.

Eh, it beats dilbert...
CHOOSE YOUR PUNCHLINE:
a) ...Like Mike Du Jour
b) ...Like a 50's housewife
c) ...Like Connie beating Ralph.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Comics (November 17th 2007)

Doonesbury

F-Minus

---

Eyebeam

It's All Right Chief Dharma

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I love this comic but half the time I have no idea what's going on. I'm not certain if that's part of the appeal or not.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to say it.

Eyebeam is uglier than Piranha Club and Mama put together.

Eyebeam is Sylvia ugly.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

True, they might get angry reading about rich people getting free SUVs and cruises.

9 Chickweed Lane

This whole storyline is proving to counter any form of intelligence.

Pibgorn

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Curiouser and curiouser.

I'll try to get the censorship panels scanned tomorrow.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Lio probably has a real tooth fairy on her way to his house.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Comic Strip Megathread XVI: Bumpa Bumpa Bumpa

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
New York Times obituary for Morrie Turner is up.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Student loans, like everyone else. Although according to internet comment sections on news articles unless you're studying computer science or engineering you might as well not even bother
:suicide:

Retail

"Hey Cooper, I want you to do some work for a change, especially since I did you a huge favor in promoting you even though it was an unpopular decision."
"Screw that."

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

You just need to fill your party up with a couple more robots and you can embark on your own Pokemon journey!

Dustin

They expect you to stuff all your clothes in the two free carry-ons you still get.

On the Fastrack

Would've been an ok joke without the final thought bubble to explain it.

Safe Havens

Your time is better spent developing a source of unlimited free energy or a perpetual motion machine.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Mr. Turner, who also wrote and illustrated a series of children’s books and appeared as an occasional guest on the television show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” received the National Cartoonists Society’s lifetime achievement award in 2003.

Well that's neat. Just from checking wikipedia it seems he was in season 6 episode 61, though it doesn't seem to be on youtube. Couldn't find which other episodes he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DantePhoenix
Feb 28, 2007

I think they teach valuable life lessons and stuff.

• Locked thread