Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I want Anime Andrew WK to show up with a Nu Gundam playing a pizza guitar beam rifle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want a Destiny vs V Gundam fight where both of them show off their Wings of Light.

Destiny vs. G Gundam Shining Fingers would also be acceptable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is completely random, but if Jaburo ever gets used as a Gunpla Battle Stage ("Stage X Cavern"?) the episode needs to just play Ai Senshi/Soldiers of Sorrow as background music the whole bloody time. Too many Gundam video games have fused the two together in my mind, Ai Senshi must play if you're at Jaburo, they just play it 24/7 over the PA.

Jaburo was already used. They even had GM cardboard popups.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I totally forgot about that!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just started watching this the other day and I can't believe I watched a Zaku trash the holy poo poo out of a Strike to what sounded a hell of a lot like The Gipsy Kings.

e: this is good BTW

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

"This Party Nu isn't just for show!"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Phy posted:

I just started watching this the other day and I can't believe I watched a Zaku trash the holy poo poo out of a Strike to what sounded a hell of a lot like The Gipsy Kings.

e: this is good BTW

I honestly have to wonder at the thought process behind giving Yuuki spanish guitars as part of his theme. Definitely not complaining though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pureauthor posted:

I want a Destiny vs V Gundam fight where both of them show off their Wings of Light.

Destiny vs. G Gundam Shining Fingers would also be acceptable.

I just want Reiji and Sei to use the beam cape on the Star Build Strike more, to use it offensively and defensively a bit like Fellini did. It's a great visual effect, even when just posing with the beam cape. The V2 mod that Mao destroyed a few episodes back by firing the satellite cannon at him and dropping a skyscraper on him afterwards was another really nice shot of something similar in action - although I think that might have been a Zanspine and not a V2 mod.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

tsob posted:

The V2 mod that Mao destroyed a few episodes back by firing the satellite cannon at him and dropping a skyscraper on him afterwards was another really nice shot of something similar in action - although I think that might have been a Zanspine and not a V2 mod.

It was a vanilla V2 in Zanspine colors.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pureauthor posted:

I honestly have to wonder at the thought process behind giving Yuuki spanish guitars as part of his theme. Definitely not complaining though.

Ace Combat Zero fans, maybe? :haw:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Common misconception about bullfighters waving red cloth about. Bullfighters are frequently associated with Spain. Bam, thought process found!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

New episode is out and things keep getting more and more ridiculous awesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No link? Shame on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRynhjiIsM

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

A single RG Punch that two episodes ago matched evenly with Beam-Cape covered Wing Gundam punch can beat out a Solar + Satellite Cannon enhanced beam sword?

I am officially calling shenanigans.

Next episode looks to be a pretty tactical battle. I'm excited.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
They should poll everyone's favorite female Gundam character in the show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mixed feelings on the newest episode. A showdown with Mao should have been more... epic. I'm a little tired of of the whole 'shot your weapons, you shot mine now lets do it saber/fists burning spirit' to see who wins.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

They should poll everyone's favorite female Gundam character in the show.

Can it break the 4th wall and pick Rinko?

Congratulations Rinko.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blackchamber posted:

Mixed feelings on the newest episode. A showdown with Mao should have been more... epic. I'm a little tired of of the whole 'shot your weapons, you shot mine now lets do it saber/fists burning spirit' to see who wins.

I kind of think that's part of the point, that Mao isn't that great a fighter and is more of a builder. His entire thing was that he needed to learn some humility after all. Still though, I was kind of disappointed that Sei and Reiji didn't connect the Real Grade system to their beam saber for a giant beam saber's battle, which was what I expected when Mao did his. The punch just felt off, as Pureauthor said.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm slightly disappointed that Mao didn't Show up with some Gundam X Maoh/Remius abomination and fight with that. But the Maoh sword is okay I guess.

Looks like Nils is finally getting gunpla, though.

Mchangin
Feb 18, 2010
I'm thinking they couldn't make the battle against Mao with as much impact as the ones against Yuuki and Fellini because they have the rest of the tournament to fight in and can't afford to have Sei and Reiji fight with more abandon.

It still was underwhelming but I'm actually glad they have the rival stress on how to fight the protagonists in a Shounen Anime. It's not often that happens.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Newtypes can control time?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DookieSandwich posted:

Newtypes can control time?

Newtypes will eventually evolve to be the masters of everything, because their souls are no longer weighed down by Gravity.

Char Was Right!

tsob posted:

I kind of think that's part of the point, that Mao isn't that great a fighter and is more of a builder. His entire thing was that he needed to learn some humility after all. Still though, I was kind of disappointed that Sei and Reiji didn't connect the Real Grade system to their beam saber for a giant beam saber's battle, which was what I expected when Mao did his. The punch just felt off, as Pureauthor said.

Yeah. Up until that point it was all pretty alright.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
SATELLITE CANNON SWORD YES IT HAPPENED :dance:

I guess they blew most of the budget on Fellini vs Reiji. Which is fine, Mao was more of a builder than a fighter so it was great how the match came down to their gunpla's gimmicks instead of another slugfest. Total shame we didn't get a giant beam saber duel, but BUILD KNUCKLE was pretty great too.

Pureauthor posted:

A single RG Punch that two episodes ago matched evenly with Beam-Cape covered Wing Gundam punch can beat out a Solar + Satellite Cannon enhanced beam sword?

I am officially calling shenanigans.

Against the Fenice, the RG System had been on for a while so the stored Plavsky particles were probably getting low. Against the Maoh, they turned it on right before the final clash. Seems reasonable.

EDIT: Hahaha, on a rewatch I found an animation error. Around 17:43 or so, the SBS is somehow shooting green beams when the only thing it has left are its railguns.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 3, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

tsob posted:

No I totally get that Mao's strength is his building, but he made it to the top 16 in the world. Im sure his satellite cannon carried him a lot of the way but you have to figure he had more fighting skill than he showed in that fight. I know they didn't want to keep beating the build strike so after each match Sei had to do a scratch build but they could have had something more. I would have liked to have seen the BS team have to come up with a clever way to close the distance with Mao's cannon lobbing shot after shot. And in the end we don't really answer to the question Mao has been seeking from the get go, who was the better builder. Something I dont think the battle truely resolved.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The battle literally came down to whose gimmick was better thought out. The X Maou couldn't handle the strain of both the solar and satellite systems while the SBS could take the RG system. It doesn't really get more conclusive than that.

Also a design competition for BF just ended. Apparently the top 3 will show up with some focus in the anime, while the rest just got to cameo in this episode. I can only assume Red Deathscythe won because it'd be so easy to animate.

The interesting thing about this fight is that Mao was completely outclassed from the get-go. The X Maou was a match for the Full Package, but the SBS blows it out of the water. Likewise Mao is a pretty good pilot, but Reiji is way better. Mao straight up admits that he has absolutely no chance of victory, which is what drove him to beg his master for help. And the advice he got was pretty much "Don't worry so much about winning, it's more important to have fun."

EDIT: V Welp, that said it a lot better than I did.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 3, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mao's canon is super long range and the SBS focuses on speed, there was no point of having them have much issues dodging the canon because its already been established that they could dodge it no problem.

What makes this episode interesting is that Mao is the underdog, its his episode, its up to him to find a way to beat Renji and Sei not the other way around. Of course his efforts arent enough, he doesnt wallow in his defeat for much and wants to get right back in the saddle

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BlitzBlast posted:

Also a design competition for BF just ended. Apparently the top 3 will show up with some focus in the anime, while the rest just got to cameo in this episode. I can only assume Red Deathscythe won because it'd be so easy to animate.

That Unicorn-dendrobium is pretty sweet.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mao's canon is super long range and the SBS focuses on speed, there was no point of having them have much issues dodging the canon because its already been established that they could dodge it no problem.

The idea that speed trumps range isn't set in stone, and was driven more by the plot. In fact keeping a short ranged fighter at bay with superior ranged attacks is a great strategy. Supressing fire, keeping an agile opponent pinned down should have been Mao's specialty.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's also driven by the fact that the satellite cannon is a slow but powerful weapon that you can see coming and dodge if you have good reflexes and/or watch your opponent because it's firing is pretty obviously telegraphed, not just in time but in direction. What Mao needs is a second, non-hand held and rapid fire gun that he can use to pepper shots to pin someone down the way you suggest or push them in to a trap.

I'm really disappointed there's no one like Mao's master fighting in the current tournament. His fighting style is really fun to watch, especially given his silly personality where he poses absurdly after fights.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Given he was using a Kowloon, I want to say that the Master Gundam in the OP is his. We'll probably see him (and Takeshi in the Perfect Gundam) later on.

Blackchamber posted:

In fact keeping a short ranged fighter at bay with superior ranged attacks is a great strategy.

The SBS isn't a short-ranged fighter though. It has guns, and Reiji is a crack shot. Hell that's how the Hyper Satellite Cannon gets disabled, Reiji just dodged the beam and shot it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

Given he was using a Kowloon, I want to say that the Master Gundam in the OP is his. We'll probably see him (and Takeshi in the Perfect Gundam) later on.

Yea, this was my first thought (and hope) on seeing it as well. I also hope Ral joins to form an older generation squad of some kind - though neither the Miss Sazabi or F91 seem the right match for him. Him in the Miss Sazabi would be hilarious though. And it is blue.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 3, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fight was enjoyable, even if a bit of an asspull at the end. I was more interested in the character development this episode and learning a little more about Mao, and his parts were fun. So I still think it was a good episode. Still I'm a bit sad that Luang got beaten offscreen,that sucks.

Also Mao's master is great and I want to see more of him.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

The SBS isn't a short-ranged fighter though. It has guns, and Reiji is a crack shot. Hell that's how the Hyper Satellite Cannon gets disabled, Reiji just dodged the beam and shot it.

Certainly not. But it's not ranged the same way Mao's is, shooting beams from the planet's surface to beat opponent's in space as we've already seen it do.

And I find it hard to believe that Mao hasn't found a way to counter an agile fast opponent. He's made it to the top 16 in the world, has he really never fought anyone who capitalized on 'speed beats satelite cannon everytime' idea that everyone seems to hold as fact? If its apparent to us then it should be apparent to them. I find it unlikely at the competitive level nobody ever looked at his weaknesses and was playing to them. Or Mao's teacher never showed him the flaw in his strategy?

Again its all plot device on a kids show... It just makes you wonder though.

Edit: So it doesnt sound like I'm just retreading here, my point is they set up a fight between two great machines but because the BS had to win they cheapened Mao and as a starring character he deserved better. Especially in a Mao centeric story episode.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 3, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'll join in on the "episode felt off" crowd, but I enjoyed it. Looking forward to next week.

I did enjoy seeing S Gundam in motion and not being a display cameo. Now, give us the Deep Striker and I'll be happy. :unsmigghh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

He's made it to the top 16 in the world, has he really never fought anyone who capitalized on 'speed beats satelite cannon everytime' idea that everyone seems to hold as fact?

Thing is, you need to be ridiculously fast to dodge the Satellite Cannon. And as multiple characters have pointed out, the faster you go the harder it is to control your gunpla. That's what amazing about Reiji, he's so good that he move at absurd speeds with perfect control. He is very much an aberration, so of course Mao never fought anyone like him.

Though if they had fought all the way back in episode 7, who knows! Maybe Mao would have come up with something. Blame the gunpla loan sharks I guess. :v:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Thing is, you need to be ridiculously fast to dodge the Satellite Cannon. And as multiple characters have pointed out, the faster you go the harder it is to control your gunpla. That's what amazing about Reiji, he's so good that he move at absurd speeds with perfect control. He is very much an aberration, so of course Mao never fought anyone like him.

That makes it much more palatable, thanks.

But I also find that really surprising since you gotta figure there are people out there who are running on Epyon and Tallgeese gunpla and training to stay on the highway to the dangerzone. Id of figured that more people would be trying to use superior speed/maneuverability as a cheap way to win.

Why bother coming up with a unique gimmick if you can do like the Fenice did and seemingly appear out of nowhere above the BS and unleash.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 3, 2014

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tsob posted:

I'm really disappointed there's no one like Mao's master fighting in the current tournament. His fighting style is really fun to watch, especially given his silly personality where he poses absurdly after fights.

Isn't Niels the closest to that style, when he switches from the swords to hand-to-hand? Using Plavsky Particles to do shounen "punch so hard the ground craters" stuff.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Gunpla don't perform at the same level as their units in show do automatically. You'd have to have an exceptionally well built Tallgeese for it to be 2fast2furious the way it was in Wing itself.

Schubalts posted:

Isn't Niels the closest to that style, when he switches from the swords to hand-to-hand? Using Plavsky Particles to do shounen "punch so hard the ground craters" stuff.

True actually, I'd forgotten him now that you point it out. I was gonna say he's not as silly, but he is - just not in the same way. I don't remember him punching the ground though, or fighting hand to hand at all at any point. Not to say it didn't happen mind, just that I've obviously forgotten it. If he does do anything like Mao's Master did this episode though I'll be delighted.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If Mao's teacher does use the Master Gundam, I hope it as awesomely customized as that Kowloon Gundam was. It looked pretty awesome, and seemed to use Turn-A's 'stache for helmet trim. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Blackchamber posted:

That makes it much more palatable, thanks.

But I also find that really surprising since you gotta figure there are people out there who are running on Epyon and Tallgeese gunpla and training to stay on the highway to the dangerzone. Id of figured that more people would be trying to use superior speed/maneuverability as a cheap way to win.

You'd need a combination of extreme control skills with extreme build quality to achieve speed and control both. And even more to fight properly while moving at speed. At that point it'd be far from cheap, build quality takes extremely patient and dextrous detail work coupled to imagination for effective weapons that don't interfere with mobility, and that doesn't usually lend itself to the handling skills, stamina, physical agility and hair trigger reflexes to use such a unit.

Or you can cheat and have a two-man operation to build and pilot the thing, so both can focus on being crazy strong in their area of expertise.

veekie fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread