Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Don't do drinking around the world except during Food and Wine. Then absolutely do drinking around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

HPanda posted:

Don't do drinking around the world except during Food and Wine. Then absolutely do drinking around the world.

Epcot food and wine festival should be going on when I go! According to older calendars it seems to be going on the week ill be there.

I'll also be there on Halloween - should i bring a costume?!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Tigntink posted:

Epcot food and wine festival should be going on when I go! According to older calendars it seems to be going on the week ill be there.

If you are going to one of the Mickey's Not-So Scary Halloween Party nights at Magic Kingdom, definitely go in costume. I've never been there actually on Halloween, so no idea on how that is.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tigntink posted:

You can buy a ticket to the Halloween party and wear your costume then, but adults are not allowed to wear costumes in the parks outside of that party.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm not into that whole pin thing by any means, but I found a pin that some cast members will be getting this year that I kind of want to have in my life. (It's here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/new-hidden-mickey-pins-arriving-soon-at-disney-parks-for-2014/ The Peter Pan pin). My question is if the only way to get one is to trade for it, could I just buy some random pin at a shop and trade it with a cast member and they'll have to accept it? Or do the CMs get to be as picky as I am?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm not into that whole pin thing by any means, but I found a pin that some cast members will be getting this year that I kind of want to have in my life. (It's here: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/01/new-hidden-mickey-pins-arriving-soon-at-disney-parks-for-2014/ The Peter Pan pin). My question is if the only way to get one is to trade for it, could I just buy some random pin at a shop and trade it with a cast member and they'll have to accept it? Or do the CMs get to be as picky as I am?

Cast members can't say no to your pin request and they will take whatever you give them in return. So yes buy a cheap pin and trade it for what you want, that's what we did with my son this year. I bought my son a few of the more expensive pins and it's not a big deal when you trade with the CM's because they don't pick one of your pins in trade, so he wore them on his lanyard and didn't have to worry. Most pin traders only trade with CM's too, and only like to browse other peoples pins rather than trade.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm not into that whole pin thing by any means

Spend 5 minutes talking to a cast member about pins and they suck you in faster than anything I've ever seen. I wanted to go prancing around buying about $200 worth until I got a grip on myself (I still kinda want to).

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Spend 5 minutes talking to a cast member about pins and they suck you in faster than anything I've ever seen. I wanted to go prancing around buying about $200 worth until I got a grip on myself (I still kinda want to).

That's partially how I got hooked. My dad collected pins for years before they became a Thing; now he and I are both crazy pin people, and we're already looking forward to wandering from resort to resort on the hunt. I think we're going to need those Seven Dwarfs pins in our lives.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I was able to avoid the collectible pin thing because I can't think of anything to do with them. I am extremely happy those Vinylmations didn't start just a few years earlier, though, because early-20's me would have spent so much money on them. I lost interest in that hobby just in the knick of time. Still, that doesn't stop me from browsing the sets at the stores wistfully.

Oh god, my wife would kill me if I started buying little collectible figures again.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
I found some really cool "ticket" pins that I started collecting. And no one had ever told me that each store in the resorts has a giant pin board to trade with!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Cryosleep posted:

I found some really cool "ticket" pins that I started collecting. And no one had ever told me that each store in the resorts has a giant pin board to trade with!

Yep, either the store or the check-in desk. Sometimes both. Saratoga had both last month and I think the Contemporary did too. One pin we want but couldn't get was the Very Merry Christmas Party pin, was sort of bummed that they are a limited release only the day of the parties.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Yeaaaah I'm pretty sure you can't get that without shelling out some serious dough for like a cabin or maybe a suite at the Grand Floridian. Even the super-awesome savannah view room I once got at AK Lodge had a standard tub.
I'd assume not because Disney, but does the tap water in the resorts stink like typical Florida tap water?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Oracle posted:

I'd assume not because Disney, but does the tap water in the resorts stink like typical Florida tap water?

I haven't ever noticed smelly water.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Every source of water at Disney that isn't a bottle of Dasani smells like Splash Mountain.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Oracle posted:

No. Disney Corp did this trick where they presumably bribed the hell out of the local and state governments some decades back, and now they are their own county. It's the Disney Corp itself that is in charge of all utilities, roads, emergency services, building codes, and so on. It's pretty crazy sounding to have a corporation administer local government, but believe it or not Disney has taken its stewardship seriously. Over half the land area inside WDW is permanently zoned for no major construction, so that the local wetlands can remain in a mostly natural state, though of course Disney has installed drainage and the like to keep flooding under control.

Along with that they've obviously ensured that guests don't have to worry about gross tap water or anything. It's an interesting topic, so look up Reedy Creek Improvement District if you'd like to know more about the USA's first step into the cyberpunk future where corporations ARE governments. On with the corporate arcologies woooo!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nathilus posted:

No. Disney Corp did this trick where they presumably bribed the hell out of the local and state governments some decades back, and now they are their own county. It's the Disney Corp itself that is in charge of all utilities, roads, emergency services, building codes, and so on. It's pretty crazy sounding to have a corporation administer local government, but believe it or not Disney has taken its stewardship seriously. Over half the land area inside WDW is permanently zoned for no major construction, so that the local wetlands can remain in a mostly natural state, though of course Disney has installed drainage and the like to keep flooding under control.

Along with that they've obviously ensured that guests don't have to worry about gross tap water or anything. It's an interesting topic, so look up Reedy Creek Improvement District if you'd like to know more about the USA's first step into the cyberpunk future where corporations ARE governments. On with the corporate arcologies woooo!

Isn't Celebration basically Disney's residential city?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

mattfl posted:

Isn't Celebration basically Disney's residential city?

Yeah, but it's a different issue than the fact that the WDW property is governed by the corporation. It isn't part of RCID and is instead an unincorporated town in the greater county. If it was part of RCID, it would mess with the voting scheme they have there where only trusted executives technically "live" in RCID and thus have the only votes that count for anything.

Disney Corp is much less pervasively interconnected with Celebration. It divested most of the control it had over the joint after the initial phases, though it does still operate some utilities in town. It's now run like pretty much any other richie rich burbclave.

On a completely unrelated note, I don't think I'd be able to live there without going insane. It has an intensely surreal stepford wives vibe going on. You know how old sci fi movies always have a really strange, stupid version of the future? Like there are jetpack equipped hula-hooping kids? Celebration is like that except with Americana rather than Future. Someone's demented idea of Perfecton USA circa 1996 with a few thousand people who were convinced to play along. I didn't mind working in an artificially created and aged delusion, but living in one would be another matter entirely.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nathilus posted:

Yeah, but it's a different issue than the fact that the WDW property is governed by the corporation. It isn't part of RCID and is instead an unincorporated town in the greater county. If it was part of RCID, it would mess with the voting scheme they have there where only trusted executives technically "live" in RCID and thus have the only votes that count for anything.

Disney Corp is much less pervasively interconnected with Celebration. It divested most of the control it had over the joint after the initial phases, though it does still operate some utilities in town. It's now run like pretty much any other richie rich burbclave.

On a completely unrelated note, I don't think I'd be able to live there without going insane. It has an intensely surreal stepford wives vibe going on. You know how old sci fi movies always have a really strange, stupid version of the future? Like there are jetpack equipped hula-hooping kids? Celebration is like that except with Americana rather than Future. Someone's demented idea of Perfecton USA circa 1996 with a few thousand people who were convinced to play along. I didn't mind working in an artificially created and aged delusion, but living in one would be another matter entirely.

Ya it's a weird city that's for sure. I love The Columbia Restaurant though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nathilus posted:

This is how I feel about all HOA / Mass home developments but taken to the next level. I'd probably have a panic attack if I drove through.

On the water thing - i'd assume it depends where you are coming from - water quality wise. If you grow up or live somewhere with super clean water (I grew up in Memphis TN, for example, which had fantastic water) and then try water in another city, it will usually taste super strange. However, if you are already live somewhere with weird water or well water it probably won't bother you.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

Ladies and gentlemen... meet the entire voting community of Reedy Creek, that's it.. all of them.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Don't listen to the downers...I drank around the world my first night straight off the plane/magical express and then on my last night!

Yes, most of it is light beer, but, it's so drat fun and honestly the authenticity of the Cast Members(And perhaps Commercial Authenticity of the countries) really adds to the fun, especially for a guy living in whitey New England like me.

If I could make any recommendation for goons out there...I would get pretty loaded and go to Japan, but be sure to enter the store from the American side first, and work your way through, beer in hand. It'll blow your mind!

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 30, 2014

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I'm thinking of staying at Port Orleans French Quarter later this year.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it before I book it? It will just be my girlfriend and I going and the only resort I've stayed at previously is Shades of Green.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Malt posted:

I'm thinking of staying at Port Orleans French Quarter later this year.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it before I book it? It will just be my girlfriend and I going and the only resort I've stayed at previously is Shades of Green.

Port Orleans is nice and the French Quarter section is its coolest section. It's a little more festive and less relaxing than Shades of Green, but still pretty chill in its own right. Enjoy.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Loved FQ. We just stayed there and while it's not the most heavily themed of the resorts, it's very charming. Honestly, my favorite part and probably what will keep me coming back is how small it is. The place is divided by small streets and gardens. Outside of our room and down a staircase and we're directly next to the lobby/food complex. Go one small garden over and there's the bus pad and parking. Doesn't sound like much but having stayed at Coronado and some of the other really big resorts- coming in exhausted at night and not having to hike for 10 minutes to reach your room is nice.

They're redoing the pools right now. You get boat service into Downtown Disney. You can either walk or ride over to PO Riverside, which is one of the best looking resorts in my opinion (Boatwright's is pretty damned delicious too). But staying at FQ was fantastic. While we were there, it was very quiet and romantic at night, especially down the boardwalk along the water.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Yeah being more compact is one of the things PO has over the other mid-ranged hotels. The Carribean is massive and sprawly by comparison.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Just had first dole whip. It was okay I guess, but eating it at 50 degrees in the cold rain probably took alot of the allure out of the experience.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Savage Bliss posted:

Just had first dole whip. It was okay I guess, but eating it at 50 degrees in the cold rain probably took alot of the allure out of the experience.

Oh god yes.. that would blow the sails out of it for sure.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oooo I was just wondering - is there like pineapple in everything at wdw? Hawaii was a nightmare for me because i'm hella allergic to pineapples and even if they didn't list it as a dish they loved to use that poo poo as a garnish.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tigntink posted:

Oooo I was just wondering - is there like pineapple in everything at wdw? Hawaii was a nightmare for me because i'm hella allergic to pineapples and even if they didn't list it as a dish they loved to use that poo poo as a garnish.

No, that is a special item served in Magic Kingdom.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

However, I will say there is a lot of pineapple on property at WDW. Stay away from the Polynesian.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

However, I will say there is a lot of pineapple on property at WDW. Stay away from the Polynesian.

This made me laugh really hard. Just walking in the front door would make you break out.

Also: Citrus Swirl rules, Dole Whip drools.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
we are doing the annual family trip to WDW this Saturday. I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow for something to control my nerves since there will be four kids under 5 this year. fml.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

we are doing the annual family trip to WDW this Saturday. I am going to go to the doctor tomorrow for something to control my nerves since there will be four kids under 5 this year. fml.

for a "Vacation" do you stay on property or just at your house. I mean, not much difference in travel time I imagine?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

for a "Vacation" do you stay on property or just at your house. I mean, not much difference in travel time I imagine?

We have two dogs and cats that need attention and boarding them would cost more than us taking an actual vacation.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel like a broken record of dumb short questions but I've got another one:

During slow season is it pretty common to get super cheap upgrades if you ask at check in at the hotel?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tigntink posted:

During slow season is it pretty common to get super cheap upgrades if you ask at check in at the hotel?

It'll depend on who you ask and what they have available at the time. Even during the slow season your particular hotel might be fuller than others.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

mattfl posted:

Ya it's a weird city that's for sure. I love The Columbia Restaurant though.

Especially since the speed limit is like 20 mph so you have to crawl through town, gives you plenty of time to be sucked into 1950.

We go to Celebration Town Tavern when I'm in town, that's pretty good also.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Tigntink posted:

We've had mixed results, but it's always worth asking, especially during the "dead zone" when there ere empty rooms.

Don't be shy about literally asking for a free room upgrade. My wife and I almost always book the least expensive room..."garden view," or whatever. Then four days before we leave, I call the desk of the specific hotel we're staying at and politely inquire. I generally always get a, "we'll see what we can do," but sometimes it's a flat no. Regardless, I do the exact same thing four days later at the front desk when I check in.

It's very, very important that you're polite about it. Unless things have changed in the past few years, it's been at the discretion of whoever you're talking to at the front desk. That's why if you call a few days ahead, you need to call the hotel, not Disney Reservations. Reservations can't do anything for you.

The reason I do it exactly four days out is because that's when your reservation becomes visible to the people at the front desk. Unless that's changed. Who knows.

Best upgrade we ever got was to the concierge building at the Grand Floridian. It was our anniversary, and it was our first time back at the GF since the very first time we went, before we were even married. We'd been back a few times, but not at the Grand Flo. Anyway, I call four days out and give them the whole song-and-dance about the first time we ever went to WDW, blah blah, we got married there, blah blah, first time back at the GF so can we get the same room please. "I'll see what we can do." OK, so we arrive at the hotel and before I can even make my request, the lady says, "Oh, you've been upgraded." And I go, "Really?" And she looks again and says, "Oh, you've been upgraded to concierge."

I barely even knew what concierge level was. Turns out we got a room --a bit larger than the standard room-- in one of the concierge buildings. Restricted entry to the building, with a concierge desk manned 24 hours a day so you can always get help with...well, whatever you need. Dinner reservations, directions, whatever. And there was a pretty impressive 24-hour food spread in the lobby. That was what I really loved, because we didn't have to make an extra stop anywhere for breakfast on the way to the parks each morning. Booyah.

I will tell that story again and again until the day I die.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 1, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Lincoln posted:

I barely even knew what concierge level was. Turns out we got a room --a bit larger than the standard room-- in one of the concierge buildings. Restricted entry to the building, with a concierge desk manned 24 hours a day so you can always get help with...well, whatever you need. Dinner reservations, directions, whatever. And there was a pretty impressive 24-hour food spread in the lobby. That was what I really loved, because we didn't have to make an extra stop anywhere for breakfast on the way to the parks each morning. Booyah.

Concierge at the Grand rules. The food spread is delicious and there's free alcohol in the afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am dreading going tomorrow on the family outing. The wife and I both had hair appointments (same stylist cuts our hair) and by the time we get to the park after walking the dogs it may be noon but the weather is supposed to suck. This may turn out to be a downer.