Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korbut_Flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Thank you, Schweinhund! I was misremembering it as being in black and white (or was thinking of a similar, but different video), but the Koburt Flip was totally it. That backwards fling from the lower bar to the higher bar is absolutely amazing (as is the rest of the very short 45 second performance) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYPcdj_wn4

uptown
May 16, 2009
I'm looking for something really cool for my brother's birthday. He's a comic book nerd and his favourite characters are Spidey, Batman, Deadpool, and Savage Dragon. I don't want to buy him apparel or comics, because he probably has all there is to buy when it comes to those things. He's turning 29, so nothing childish or cutesy either. Any ideas? If not, is there a thread in BSS where a post like this would fit?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

ladyweapon posted:

Im looking for a youtube video of a woman doing gymnastics on the uneven bars in the Olympics. I would swear it was in black & white and something about what she did made the regulations for uneven bars change because it was so dangerous. Googling with this information has been, obviously, unsuccessful because I dont have a name or even a time frame. I know I found it on SA though and it was an absolutely amazing performance.

For the rest of the thread it wasn't the move was dangerous which caused its banning, it was because you had to stand on the bar for a moment interrupting your swinging which is a no-no now.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

uptown posted:

I'm looking for something really cool for my brother's birthday. He's a comic book nerd and his favourite characters are Spidey, Batman, Deadpool, and Savage Dragon. I don't want to buy him apparel or comics, because he probably has all there is to buy when it comes to those things. He's turning 29, so nothing childish or cutesy either. Any ideas? If not, is there a thread in BSS where a post like this would fit?

I would first try looking on Etsy.com with any of those characters as search words. Some of the things will be cutesy but there's always a lot of cool handmade things on there that he wouldn't necessary even know exist to be able to buy for himself.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Werner-Boogle posted:

I don't think we have that in Danish. We have something that's basically switching the first letters of syllables - For example Christmas becomes Mhristcas. Don't know if kids actually use it, but it was a thing some 20 years ago when I was a kid.

EDIT: Also I guess you swap the first letters of words aswell. "Talk Backwards" becomes "Balk Tackwards" - stuff like that.

In English, that's called a spoonerism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism

Often used as a punchline to a joke
"What's the difference between a group of smart pygmies and a women's track team?"
"One's a bunch of Cunning Runts the other's a bunch of Running Cunts"

See also Metallica's "Cunning Stunts" for the exact same joke.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

In English, that's called a spoonerism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism

Often used as a punchline to a joke
"What's the difference between a group of smart pygmies and a women's track team?"
"One's a bunch of Cunning Runts the other's a bunch of Running Cunts"

See also Metallica's "Cunning Stunts" for the exact same joke.

My favorite is the collective noun for bankers being "wunch".

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

syscall girl posted:

My favorite is the collective noun for bankers being "wunch".

A wanking bunch? I don't get it.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

regulargonzalez posted:

Foreign language speakers -- do you have an equivalent to the English language's Pig Latin? That is, a simple spoken code that young kids use, generally to hide their meaning from their younger siblings?
A Romanian friend said they do have something like that (I think she called it "bird language"), but a Chinese friend and Dutch friend were both mystified. The Chinese friend in particular was completely befuddled and could not understand it at all, either in concept or execution.
The only foreign language I speak is French but not being a native speaker, I don't know if they do have something similar that would be picked up growing up in France.

e: the Wikipedia page lists a few foreign language equivalents but I'm curious about other languages not listed there.

France doesn't have anything exactly like it, ie an invented language meant for kids and to disguise words.

It has verlan, which is an old form of slang and mostly used by young, "poorer" people. It consists in inverting the order of syllables in a word. So français becomes çais-fran (or céfran as it's spelled).

There's a quirk for words that end with a consonant sound, like femme. The silent e becomes vocal, so femme is now pronounced fa-meuh. Once you inverse the syllables it becomes meu-fa, and finally, a lot of verlan words that would end with an A or an E are stripped of that vowel, so it becomes meuf.
There's no hard rule about any of this, especially the stripping the last vowel thing. Tête becomes teuté, ricain (short for américain) becomes cainri, arabe becomes beur (a-ra-beuh -> beu-ra-a -> beu-r), argent becomes gen-har, mère becomes reumé or reum, père becomes reup, manger becomes géman, noir becomes renoi, etc.
This is all mixed in with words from African, Arab and Russian origins. Toubab, a Wolof word for white man, becomes babtou.

edit: you never say a whole sentence in verlan, only specific words. Also a few verlan words have become so common they have their own verlan. Beur, for arabe, becomes reubeuh for example.

pylb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 27, 2014

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Mescal posted:

A wanking bunch? I don't get it.

A Wunch of Bankers.

A Bunch of Wankers

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

pylb posted:

edit: you never say a whole sentence in verlan, only specific words. Also a few verlan words have become so common they have their own verlan. Beur, for arabe, becomes reubeuh for example.

I'd say Pig Latin is often similar, especially used when half-heartedly obscuring meaning. I recall it being used more extensively as a "language" when I was a really little kid but it seems to be used most commonly on specific key words. I'd wager that a large number of people who are unfamiliar with Pig Latin have actually heard and possibly understood something like "ixnay" for "nix."

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Will cats cook themselves? My cat always likes to get really close to or on heaters but I'm worried he'll be harmed by the high temperature, does he know now to get too hot?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crankit posted:

Will cats cook themselves? My cat always likes to get really close to or on heaters but I'm worried he'll be harmed by the high temperature, does he know now to get too hot?

Assuming your cat has a functioning autonomous nervous system, yeah, he'll probably be fine. Unless A) by "heaters" you mean "Stovetop" or B) your heaters are dangerously malfunctioning.

A cat is perhaps not as smart as most people, but if it is being heated to the point where it experiences pain, it should be smart enough to move itself a few inches away and cool off for a bit.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've recently noticed that nowadays I mostly wear "Small" clothing; 5-10 years ago I wore medium and sometimes even large, and the transition in between was so gradual as to almost be imperceptible. I do not believe I've become smaller; if anything, slightly larger, but not by much.

I sort of want to call it "size inflation." Is this a recognized thing? Has anyone actually studied this, like has someone gotten old clothing and compared sizes across the years?

edit: vvvvvvv thanks, sorry, I didn't even try to google cause I thought I had made the term up. Should have tried.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 27, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

CzarChasm posted:

A cat is perhaps not as smart as most people
This raises the question, should we worry about Crankit cooking himself on his heater?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

alnilam posted:

I sort of want to call it "size inflation." Is this a recognized thing?
Yes.

Actually googling size inflation would also have gotten you on the same page first hit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

pylb posted:

France doesn't have anything exactly like it, ie an invented language meant for kids and to disguise words.

It has verlan, which is an old form of slang and mostly used by young, "poorer" people. It consists in inverting the order of syllables in a word. So français becomes çais-fran (or céfran as it's spelled).

There's a quirk for words that end with a consonant sound, like femme. The silent e becomes vocal, so femme is now pronounced fa-meuh. Once you inverse the syllables it becomes meu-fa, and finally, a lot of verlan words that would end with an A or an E are stripped of that vowel, so it becomes meuf.
There's no hard rule about any of this, especially the stripping the last vowel thing. Tête becomes teuté, ricain (short for américain) becomes cainri, arabe becomes beur (a-ra-beuh -> beu-ra-a -> beu-r), argent becomes gen-har, mère becomes reumé or reum, père becomes reup, manger becomes géman, noir becomes renoi, etc.
This is all mixed in with words from African, Arab and Russian origins. Toubab, a Wolof word for white man, becomes babtou.

The Wiki page says that French has something called louchebem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louch%C3%A9bem , but it looks like it's a regional / industry-specific thing and not everyone is familiar with it?

Schweinhund posted:

This raises the question, should we worry about Crankit cooking himself on his heater?
Thank you for not saying begs the question!

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

regulargonzalez posted:

The Wiki page says that French has something called louchebem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louch%C3%A9bem , but it looks like it's a regional / industry-specific thing and not everyone is familiar with it?

Thank you for not saying begs the question!

Never heard of it! The wikipedia page does say it stopped being in common use around the 50s though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does putting a frog in water and slowly raising the temperature actually boil the frog without it jumping out when the water gets too hot?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Nope.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Then there is this clever guy debunking the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpZ1UnGBaI

:nms: for frog death.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That frog video led to this one. This is incredibly graphic at points, so watch at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NW2A9D-tw

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Schweinhund posted:

I'm not planning on doing this, though a similar thing did happen to ThatDamnJew, and unlike my cat he doesn't sleep with his face touching a heater (probably).

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Are raccoons like crows in that if I leave a dead body, will they avoid coming back?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

copy of a posted:

Are raccoons like crows in that if I leave a dead body, will they avoid coming back?

That is really oddly phrased but if you mean if you leave a dead raccoon out the other ones will stay away?

Are you going to crucify it on your lawn or what?

My experience with skunks getting under the house and dying because their burrow was blocked off by attempts to keep them from going down there is that it became a skunk mortuary and every skunk in the county attempted to die down there.

Skunks aren't raccoons though. They just run in the same circles of eating cat food off the porch until the cat can't be fed out there anymore and killing fish and wow this is a lot of suburban animal chat.

minnesota.gov posted:

The use of dead crow effigies (carcasses, taxidermic or artificial) as frightening devices have been studied and show much promise as a frightening technique in both preventing crop damage and in roost dispersal. Studies indicate that crows respond to effigies with alarm, especially when used in conjunction with other frightening techniques, such as distress alarm calls, and/or when applying a lethal means of control such as hunting. Periodically varying non-lethal methods, such as noisemakers, used in association with this frightening device, will prevent acclimation. To prevent crop damage, dead crow effigies should be hung throughout the area to be protected. In addition, posing them in an unnatural position on the ground may also be beneficial in that they can be seen by birds flying above. As with any frightening device, they would need to be moved frequently to prevent acclimation. When used to disperse communal roosts, effigies should be hung throughout the perching areas. It is important that the roost is lighted, as the birds must be able to see the effigies for this method to be successful.

Guess that's a real thing though.

I hope this was helpful, but I have quite definitely not answered your question while posing several of my own. I would advise against keeping dead raccoons on your property though, as they will definitely attract scavengers of one kind or another. They might prevent revenuers or people who think you might be a serial killer from approaching.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That matter-of-fact instruction guide on how to decorate your land with corpses - including hanging and in "unnatural" positions - might be the most disturbing thing I've read in a while.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Does anyone have a link to that great A/T thread about Mayan and Incan etc. civilizations?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Beard question: Help me find a new trimmer.

When I shave, I like to shave down to the stubble, cause I like the way it looks. I usually keep myself somewhere in the range between stubble (hair barely even measurable) to not-quite-a-full-beard-yet (like maybe 1-2 mm).

What I use for this is the flip-up thing on the backside of an electric shaver. It doesn't have any length attachments, it's just bare blades and it works pretty well to get down to the stubble.

Now the flip-up thing broke on my shaver, but I don't want to buy a whole new shaver because that part still works (plus if I wanted a clean shave, I could just use a razor). So I found some things like this beard trimmer, but it says length can go from 1 to 10 mm. I worry that the 1-10 mm thing means it's meant for shaving actual beard beards, not little stubbly ones like mine.

I guess long story short is, will a beard trimmer like this be able to shave me down to stubble, like the bare flip-up thing on the back of a regular electric shaver does? Or is 1 mm the shortest it can go?

edit: gently caress I scrolled down and saw a "beard and stubble trimmer" listed on the same page, sorry... any additional advice is still welcome though

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

alnilam posted:

I've recently noticed that nowadays I mostly wear "Small" clothing; 5-10 years ago I wore medium and sometimes even large, and the transition in between was so gradual as to almost be imperceptible. I do not believe I've become smaller; if anything, slightly larger, but not by much.

I sort of want to call it "size inflation." Is this a recognized thing? Has anyone actually studied this, like has someone gotten old clothing and compared sizes across the years?

edit: vvvvvvv thanks, sorry, I didn't even try to google cause I thought I had made the term up. Should have tried.

Yes. Some stores are absolutely terrible about it too, like Old Navy. Their small t-shirts are like tents on me and I'm 5'7" 120 lbs. It's to make fat people feel better (Look, I can still fit into a Medium!) and to also deal with the fact that it's normal to be fat now. JC Penneys is really weird about this too, since they carry all different brands. I almost always wear a little tank top under my clothes and I wear an extra-small in the brand I prefer. But if I try a similar style shirt on from another brand, I have to get a medium! They're right next to each other on the shelf!

Depending on the brand, I can wear jeans ranging from size 3 to size 9 and they all fit the same. It's ridiculous. It also makes it impossible to shop online - should I get a small size t-shirt, because I usually a small, or is a small going to be enormous? But what if I get an extra-small, I'm not an extra-small person, will that be too small?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

an overdue owl posted:

Does anyone have a link to that great A/T thread about Mayan and Incan etc. civilizations?

This one? Ask me about ancient Mesoamerican Civilizations

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I need help identifying aerial photographs of a beach-front city (two photos of the same location, taken 13 years apart). Is there a thread that would be a good place to post them in, or should I do it here?

E: I was able to identify the location but is there a thread (or forum?) where posters are knowledgeable about the US Geological Survey maps?

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 28, 2014

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My computer has reached a point where the sum of all its tiny bugs and issues have started to drive me up a wall. Given that it's been about 2 years of progressively bloating this poor laptop to death, the best thing to do is probably to flatten and start from scratch.

What's the most efficient way of backing up media, restoring this thing to factory defaults, and putting the media back?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aggro posted:

My computer has reached a point where the sum of all its tiny bugs and issues have started to drive me up a wall. Given that it's been about 2 years of progressively bloating this poor laptop to death, the best thing to do is probably to flatten and start from scratch.

What's the most efficient way of backing up media, restoring this thing to factory defaults, and putting the media back?

External hard drive would probably work best.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
How much media are you talking? If it's less than ~30 gigs you can probably find someone with a big thumb-drive to use. If it's much more then external hard drive is the easiest thing to use.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
If you're using Windows take a look at the "Easy Transfer Wizard" if you want your program setting and internet bookmarks, et al, to transfer over as well without having to manually copy them to the external.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

FreshFeesh posted:

If you're using Windows take a look at the "Easy Transfer Wizard" if you want your program setting and internet bookmarks, et al, to transfer over as well without having to manually copy them to the external.

Ah, sweet. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I have an external hard drive for most of my media, but this'll be a big help. Thanks!

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Anybody know why a song file I have on my computer will show up in iTunes but the only info shown is the song title and the words "not available" under the time? It is unplayable and it's an m4a file, which should be playable in iTunes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

yoohoo posted:

Anybody know why a song file I have on my computer will show up in iTunes but the only info shown is the song title and the words "not available" under the time? It is unplayable and it's an m4a file, which should be playable in iTunes.

The file extension isn't necessarily how the file is formatted. Someone was complaining about a .mp3 file that they had and it turned out it was formatted as MPEG-2 and would only play in winamp or something like that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can I use a $5 Best Buy Reward Zone certificate to purchase a $5 Amazon gift card? I've heard conflicting stories and I'd much rather have money toward my saved camera fund that use this on something frivolous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

pylb posted:

This kind of reminds me of rhyming slang. Is this used in an actual attempt to obscure meaning to those outside the know, or is it just silly kid stuff like pig latin is?