Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

No, he's right, that'd be a terrible angle for Parks & Rec. Yeah, we get corruption, but this isn't The Wire. I don't think corrupt cops can be portrayed as comically as what Jam or Sweetums does. And plus, like it's been said, all of the cops in Pawnee are doofuses who haven't been shown as anything other than "good cops".

Yeah, it would be a terrible angle, that's what I've been saying :confused:

To clarify, all I meant was it being a subject best left alone because of the problems any type of portrayal, portraying all of Andy's new colleagues as kind-hearted doofuses would be pretty dishonest and portraying them all as corrupt authoritarians would be really depressing and grim, it was a good move of the show to move right past that whole avenue imo. (This is the last I'll say on the matter unless anyone really needs wants me to respond to them, I wasn't looking for a gently caress THE POLICE derail myself tbh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, it would be a terrible angle, that's what I've been saying :confused:

To clarify, all I meant was it being a subject best left alone because of the problems any type of portrayal, portraying all of Andy's new colleagues as kind-hearted doofuses would be pretty dishonest and portraying them all as corrupt authoritarians would be really depressing and grim, it was a good move of the show to move right past that whole avenue imo. (This is the last I'll say on the matter unless anyone really needs wants me to respond to them, I wasn't looking for a gently caress THE POLICE derail myself tbh.)

I think my response to you came off as a direct attack at you, when really I just meant that Parks and Rec, at its heart, is a heavily optimistic comedy show. As has been pointed out, the cops so far portrayed have been doofuses that are still good cops. A more heavy emphasis on police work caused by Andy joining up would have only invited complaints from people on the internet who Just Can't Help Themselves whenever cops come up to start whining that the show wasn't taking into account that all/most cops are terrible people and such. Personally, I'm bummed Andy didn't become a cop (even though this current trajectory makes more sense in hindsight), but your post made me realize that there is at least one silver lining to it.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think the bizarre way they've broken up the episodes as far as when they run them on tv has made this season seem like it's in more of a slide than it is. Everything before Christmas was fantastic especially the Nope/Jamm karaoke episode but everything post recall has felt like the show has no focus. We've gone a few episodes now of b-plot material which is fine so long as they have something for Leslie to focus on soon.

I honestly forgot those episodes with Jamm were this season and not last season, so I'd have to agree with your point. Some of those episodes with Jamm, etc, were great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

PriorMarcus posted:

"You know guys, Burt Macklin was kind of a funny character note, but lets finish it off once and for all so Andy can move on and develop."

A season or so later...

"gently caress it, bring Burt Macklin back again as we've got gently caress all else going on for Andy."
I love that you're bitching about one throwaway line that may or may not have been improvised after an episode where Andy actually does make a personal realization (entertaining kids can be more fun than "being a rock star" and he's really good at it).

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 26, 2014

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
A single-line mention does not a new Burt Macklin B-plot make.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chamberk posted:

A single-line mention does not a new Burt Macklin B-plot make.
Parks and Rec is going to make paintball cool again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope that they don't have every episode Leslie running roughshod over everyone else. I know its only 2 episodes of that, but I'd really hate seeing that week in and week out. Realistically, people would not put up with that poo poo. The fact that Leslie used Ben's title as her own to go after the Sexy Char stand was pretty extreme.

Maybe we'll see some humbling of Leslie and her realizing she just can't make everyone's choices for them and micromanage everything from the start, and not after everyone gets upset at her.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

twistedmentat posted:

The fact that Leslie used Ben's title as her own to go after the Sexy Char stand was pretty extreme.

We don't see enough of Leslie and Ben's home life (in fact at times they barely feel like a married couple) for me to believe this wouldn't be a massive issue. In fact it really seems Ben is well within rights to react much more negatively to a lot of the poo poo Leslie tries to pull.

I'm all for them staying together a couple, and I think it's awesome that very early on the show told us Leslie and Ben were never going to split up, but some realistic emotional problems would be awesome.

Really I think that's part of the reason why the show feels a little empty to me these days; even though the characters are facing challenges at work and in their private lives none of it seems to be having a genuine emotional effect on them. Leslie's best friend moving away has barely been mentioned/Ron doesn't seem to be struggling with his new marriage and status as a father/Ben never seems personally bothered by Leslie riding over him, etc.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

We don't see enough of Leslie and Ben's home life (in fact at times they barely feel like a married couple) for me to believe this wouldn't be a massive issue. In fact it really seems Ben is well within rights to react much more negatively to a lot of the poo poo Leslie tries to pull.
When chard guy walked in with his revocation notice, I really expected Leslie to be immediately suspended.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WoG posted:

When chard guy walked in with his revocation notice, I really expected Leslie to be immediately suspended.

Yea, she literally used Ben's name and Title to revolk his permit without asking him. I think that's actually a crime.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Leslie going whole-hog with EVERYTHING is the tiredest part of the show. The b-plots are the best part now. In a differently-toned show I'd think they were setting her up for a nervous breakdown.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm all for them staying together a couple, and I think it's awesome that very early on the show told us Leslie and Ben were never going to split up, but some realistic emotional problems would be awesome.

Really I think that's part of the reason why the show feels a little empty to me these days; even though the characters are facing challenges at work and in their private lives none of it seems to be having a genuine emotional effect on them. Leslie's best friend moving away has barely been mentioned/Ron doesn't seem to be struggling with his new marriage and status as a father/Ben never seems personally bothered by Leslie riding over him, etc.

That's really well put. It's one of the biggest problems I've had with this show from season 4 onwards; the characters are constantly going through what should be major changes in their lives, but nothing ever seems to actually change. It's like one of those videos were things in the background move at high speed while the person in the foreground stands perfectly still. No matter what happens, the characters are still doing the same old shtick, season after season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, she literally used Ben's name and Title to revolk his permit without asking him. I think that's actually a crime.

That was extremely jarring and out of character for her. She's always been about working tirelessly within the system to effect change and for her to overreach like that was really weird.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pentyne posted:

That was extremely jarring and out of character for her. She's always been about working tirelessly within the system to effect change and for her to overreach like that was really weird.
Leslie's gone mad with power, and the rest of the show is her descent, Breaking Bad-style.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

Yeah, it didn't feel like the right way to go and ultimately it wasn't even necessary to the plot. I disapproved.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see her being lost because everyone who she used to help and manage has moved on and she's kinda left floating without anyone to micromanage.

I admit, I can understand because of course she finally got her dream job, but was quickly recalled due to the most petty reasons.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Leslie's gone mad with power, and the rest of the show is her descent, Breaking Bad-style.

She's going to rent a condo in Eagleton, take the waffle iron Ben and Ann bought her, and starting cooking up black market waffles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
EDIT: I was sure I clicked on the daily show thread.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 28, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really liked the Andy/April storyline, but the other two ones really bored me.

Although I did like Ron's "Is the nurse still angry? Actually, don't care." And the fact that Jerry was involved without a single dumb Jerry joke.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I thought it was a pretty solid episode overall, it was just hurt by the main storyline. Leslie trying to use Ben's position to get what she wants should have been a way bigger deal, especially in light of the season 3/4 plot about co-workers not dating because of that exact situation. But this was probably the best episode Ann's had all season, and the April/Andy stuff was good.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Hmm... Jamm had to maintain control and dominate/win every situation because his life outside of city hall was lonely and outside of his control. Leslie's trying to dominate the facets of HER life that haven't slipped from her grasp, like the city council job, her best friend, and her no longer being a necessary part of the department she loves. Maybe she's just turning into Jamm this season and will come around to it.

EDIT: not to mention breaking the rules and getting away with it is something else her enemies in the council did as well. Just a theory!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Jamm is the anti-Jerry.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Something really bad has to happen to Jamm before the series finishes up, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lycus posted:

Something really bad has to happen to Jamm before the series finishes up, right?

I think Jamm being Jamm is bad enough for him.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lycus posted:

Grease movie reboot with Jaden Smith as Danny, Jamm moves to another town out of grief. :colbert:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Davros1 posted:

I think Jamm being Jamm is bad enough for him.

Have you seen his house? He has FIVE BATHROOMS!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Get your tissues ready guys :smith:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Today will literally be the worst best day. Sigh.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Macaluso posted:

Get your tissues ready guys :smith:

Her? It's as Ann as the nose on Plain's face!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Waffles are not making me happy :(
I am sad enough to eat a calzone.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Has Frank Sobotka ever been on the show before?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Andy Bellefleur!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
April's happiness is inversly proportional to everyone elses.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Snake Juice returns! :slick:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

404GoonNotFound posted:

He had to go to a pretty seedy place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

404GoonNotFound posted:

And now I know where to go to bet on horse fighting.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
This is just a bunch of bras and knives and loose onions.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Holy Mother of Malia... and Sasha!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Surprise Oren :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ann-dy closure.

• Locked thread