Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
This week Hyundai A-League game of the week on Fox Sports 2 is Perth Glory vs Western Sydney starting at 3am est/2am cst/12am pst.

Tongues posted:

In other "the gently caress is going on" news, Manchester city have bought Melbourne heart

Apparently they have already trademarked the name and domain Melbourne city fc, which is bad/good/interesting news for Altona based Melbourne city FC, currently tearing poo poo up in the dizzy heights of state league 5 west. One of my mates is a coach there, exciting times ahead!

So Man City has a team here in the US (New York City FC starting in 2015) and now in Australia, they are really going to try to take over the world. So they are now set to going to be the most hated team in the league now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

This week Hyundai A-League game of the week on Fox Sports 2 is Perth Glory vs Western Sydney starting at 3am est/2am cst/12am pst.

So Man City has a team here in the US (New York City FC starting in 2015) and now in Australia, they are really going to try to take over the world. So they are now set to going to be the most hated team in the league now?

Time will tell. At the moment Heart are like at retarded puppy - you cant really bring yourself to hate them, especially when they keep giving you points. But a bit of money and a bit of success should get a bit of hate going.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MiniSune posted:

Time will tell. At the moment Heart are like at retarded puppy - you cant really bring yourself to hate them, especially when they keep giving you points. But a bit of money and a bit of success should get a bit of hate going.

I wonder if Heart will attract a insane violent thug contingent the way WSW did once they started winning.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Aside from what was said above, most people are also pretty reasonable about how important it is that no more teams - particularly one with as much potential as a second Melbourne team - become a basket case. A person who is a fan of any team in the A-League is almost always by extension a fan of the A-League as a whole. Being under a salary cap there is a limit to how much direct effect a change in ownership can bring to Heart. They can't, for example, import the entire Man City senior team over to Australia wholesale unless they convince everyone there to sign on to a wage of about one millionth of what they are already on. However, this means that Heart are no longer in danger of going bankrupt because they are backed by deep pockets determined to see them thrive. If I understand correctly, Heart have actually been turning a small profit of late, but that is largely driven by selling off players which is obviously not sustainable in terms of long term success.

In terms of being the most hated team, that's currently Melbourne Victory because we are the evil empire. So Heart has been able to capitalize on being the rebel alliance so to speak, however they haven't really reached their potential.

tl;dr : Aside from a few retards here and there (and the poor blokes at Melbourne City FC who will have to change their name, but they'll be alright), everyone is pretty happy about this.

All that aside, who else is going to the Big Blue? I'm taking the missus and shes pissed to be missing the last bit of the triple j countdown so unless its a great game I'm sleeping on the lawn tonight.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Yeah, I'm gonna be there. Should be a good game, but I'm more upset to miss the start of the tennis tonight. I'd somehow forgotten about the hottest 100 so I'll download it later lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Um, what the gently caress is happening with Sydney? Normally at this point I'd expect the reverse score...

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
On the one hand they got flogged 5 nil last start, but then again its sydney fc. Its all very :psyduck:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I wish I was dead

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Getting done at home by Sydney 5-0. Jesus.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't feel as bad now

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

ugh why did i go to that game ffs

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
:shepicide:

I'd say Muscat out, but I'm not sure how must blame he can take - not like he can force his players to connect passes or remember how defence works

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

As someone who dislikes both muscat and Melbourne, can he keep his job indefinitely? This is too entertaining.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Surely something has to change, Holger lost his job after losing 6 nil to Brazil and France and we were at least as sack-tapped by Wellington and Sydney.

Not to take anything from them mind, they both played great games and the travelling cove was in fine voice - I was sat up with the north terrace and didn't hear the south end do anything at all.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Always fun to see that the game you tried to buy tickets for and were informed that the allocations were exhausted for only had 14000 people come through the gate. Thanks western Sydney.

It surprises me that nobody has thought to implement some system where if members know they aren't going to matches they could give their tickets back to the club and if someone buys them for the match they get a $5 club credit or something. Also, if the away team allocation had free tickets with an hour or two left till kick off they could just release them generally. It's not complicated...

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Yeah that definitely gives me the shits - surely there would be some way of registering that you intended to go to a game and if not put it back in general sale? It always annoys me when you hear commentators talking about games being "sold out" and I'm like God drat I'm not blind there's whole bays worth of people who haven't shown up, at least offer match day upgrades or something.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tongues posted:

Yeah that definitely gives me the shits - surely there would be some way of registering that you intended to go to a game and if not put it back in general sale? It always annoys me when you hear commentators talking about games being "sold out" and I'm like God drat I'm not blind there's whole bays worth of people who haven't shown up, at least offer match day upgrades or something.

I get annoyed since I never remember to get tickets for the wanderers games, but live within 5 minutes of the ground. They're always sold out but nowadays look like there's 8000 free seats each game. It's like they don't want to make money.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I get annoyed since I never remember to get tickets for the wanderers games, but live within 5 minutes of the ground. They're always sold out but nowadays look like there's 8000 free seats each game. It's like they don't want to make money.

It's also stadium trusts and contracts that cause fuckery as well. Heck the nrl cant fill every seat at the grand final or soo.
Pressure needs to be applied to the stadium owners but often they have the upper hand.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

It's also stadium trusts and contracts that cause fuckery as well. Heck the nrl cant fill every seat at the grand final or soo.
Pressure needs to be applied to the stadium owners but often they have the upper hand.

True, but the NRL gets a drat sight closer to filling the stadium at the grand final.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
My missus has now started quoting the IT crowd at me - I live in a world of "did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

Tongues posted:

I wish I was dead

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

You see, the problem with Melbourne Victory is they always try to walk it into the back of the net.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tongues posted:

My missus has now started quoting the IT crowd at me - I live in a world of "did you see that ludicrous display last night?"
I love using "did you see that ludicrous display last night?" Because

A. I'm a Jets fan

B. It either works and we talk about the football

C. It doesn't work and we talk about the IT crowd

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Tongues posted:

it's so ridiculous. Even for the derby they ended up with 18K. They only offered SFC fans 1k tickets.

Also

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Few days late on this, I was watching on holidays.

:smug:

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it hot as gently caress in Melbourne because this game is like watching a snail in treacle

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

It's fairly loving hot out yeah. Watching Heart is painful at the best of times though.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait...a goal?

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh keeps, that was bad

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've just put the game on and Heart are a goal and a man down? Good work.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you feel about the City/Heart connection?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I think its great. I think someone else mentioned this earlier but being a fan of an A-League team generally means being a fan of the league as a whole, because of the weird way it all works. Heart having an influx of money and building up world class footballing facilities here can only help football in Australia, and if they happen to turn into a good team then all the best to them, maybe it'll make the derby matches more exciting. They've been training at state league facilities for a while which are pretty close to being public grounds, and I'd love for there to be a great youth and training base in Melbourne instead, and maybe, just maybe, they'll build their own stadium and we won't have to groundshare anymore. I feel really bad for their supporters if the name and colours get changed, but I guess they've only been around for a few years so it's not quite as bad as MK Dons or something.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was thinking pretty much the same things - I mean sure there are salary caps and things (and I'm not sure if it's their intention) but if they loan out some fringe players or promising youth players to get more experience, it should increase the quality and competitiveness of the league as a whole. I didn't realise their training situation was so bad though, good on them if they get upgraded facilities.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope they keep their kit, I like it

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahhahahaa

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Such a quality game so far.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Alex_R posted:

Yeah, I was thinking pretty much the same things - I mean sure there are salary caps and things (and I'm not sure if it's their intention) but if they loan out some fringe players or promising youth players to get more experience, it should increase the quality and competitiveness of the league as a whole. I didn't realise their training situation was so bad though, good on them if they get upgraded facilities.

Here's a good article about their facilities: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/a-day-in-the-life-of-melbourne-heart/story-e6frf4gl-1226540872702

I really should be paying more attention to this game, it seems entertaining but there's all sorts of poo poo going wrong around me at work ffs

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that, it's a great read and I love Aloisi having memorised the sprinkler cycles.

The game has been much better in the second half, gently caress work off and watch proper scrappy footie

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving lovely goal, Williams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Alex_R posted:

loving lovely goal, Williams

yeah that was nice. Up the Victory! My 5-a-side keeper is a Perth fan for no reason at all so I hope we completely stuff them.

• Locked thread