Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I'm willing to spend. I don't think I need $500 lights for the backups, but I wouldn't flinch at a couple hundred.

I'd prefer reliable over cheap, definitely.

I really like my Rigid Dually 2x2 flood LEDs. I think they were like $180 for the pair. As far as reliability, watch this torture test youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuIU-Mg0EMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Geology posted:

I really like my Rigid Dually 2x2 flood LEDs. I think they were like $180 for the pair. As far as reliability, watch this torture test youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuIU-Mg0EMM

I was planning to buy a set of these.

Now I really am going to get a set.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

I was planning to buy a set of these.

Now I really am going to get a set.

Be aware the the flood versions are really really bright. I installed mine with the intent of using them as back up lights but they overwhelm the backup camera, which I guess is calibrated to provide a good image with the factory reverse lights. So now, I only use them to illuminate camp sites..

But they also sell a "diffuse" pattern which I believe has more spread and less brightness than the fogs. Those might be better for back up lights especially if you have a backup camera.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wow, those look really nice, and I think they'd mount up really well. I'm not sure if I should go with the diffused or non-diffused version, though - I do NOT have a backup camera, but I do have 5% tint on the back windows, so they need to be REALLY bright. I don't need them to go far, though, which makes me think the diffused would be better.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
The rigids are pretty nice, I got a set of the D2 Duals [the ones with 6 elements packed in instead of 4] with the amber lens pop on covers to act as "fog lights" (ie I don't have to cover them for on street use, However, I don't intend to use them on road). I mounted them on the brushguard setup with the flood version. Great for the beach and desert. I was planning to get more before I needed a new engine.

The rigids are more expensive than some of the korean brands, but the cheaper ones have paint/powercoat that can flake off, plus Rigid has got great support, my buddy had a DOA unit he picked up and they overnighted a new one via fedex and told him to keep the 2d unit so he wound up with 3 D2's [he put the extra on his quad]

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Wow, those look really nice, and I think they'd mount up really well. I'm not sure if I should go with the diffused or non-diffused version, though - I do NOT have a backup camera, but I do have 5% tint on the back windows, so they need to be REALLY bright. I don't need them to go far, though, which makes me think the diffused would be better.

I'll be interested to see what you go with as I'm going with a tint this summer and want to step up my reverse light game as well.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I'll be interested to see what you go with as I'm going with a tint this summer and want to step up my reverse light game as well.
I'll definitely post up about it ... it's probably about due for a thread, since there's finally some poo poo to talk about.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I bet if they were gumbo monster mudders or ground hawgs with dry rot and 20% tread remaining they would have sold in an instant, I'm sure.

Undoubtedly.

A friend had a giant chevy that he bought 47s for, then never finished the truck. They sold in a few days and have still never been off the pavement except into a driveway...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Big K of Justice posted:

The rigids are pretty nice, I got a set of the D2 Duals [the ones with 6 elements packed in instead of 4] with the amber lens pop on covers to act as "fog lights" (ie I don't have to cover them for on street use, However, I don't intend to use them on road). I mounted them on the brushguard setup with the flood version. Great for the beach and desert. I was planning to get more before I needed a new engine.

The rigids are more expensive than some of the korean brands, but the cheaper ones have paint/powercoat that can flake off, plus Rigid has got great support, my buddy had a DOA unit he picked up and they overnighted a new one via fedex and told him to keep the 2d unit so he wound up with 3 D2's [he put the extra on his quad]

Is there a comparison of the various Rigid lights somewhere? I'm playing with the idea of bolting an SRQ2 driving light to my motorcycle at some point.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Instead of rigid I intend to go with the free shipping from honkong ebay specials. I have a few friends who have put them through the various hardships and they hold up fine. For 1/3 the price.

Would I trust them on the Baja 1000 ? Maybe not, but I'll trust them snow crawling out here...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

jonathan posted:

Instead of rigid I intend to go with the free shipping from honkong ebay specials. I have a few friends who have put them through the various hardships and they hold up fine. For 1/3 the price.

Would I trust them on the Baja 1000 ? Maybe not, but I'll trust them snow crawling out here...

I have an ebay special 10" LED bar on the front of my Jeep and a set of Rigid duallys on my windshield. Besides the branding of rigid there isn't a difference between the two that I or anyone else has found.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I put those swampers on my plow truck yesterday because the 15" wheels and poo poo street tires didn't leave enough room between the wheel and rear brake drum for improvised tire chains. 16" wheels gives plenty of room, plus the tires just are way better to start with.

It turns out there was no point in doing that because the fuel pump is burned up, so now I get to buy a new one, as none of my other junk has anything that will work.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

apatite posted:

I put those swampers on my plow truck yesterday because the 15" wheels and poo poo street tires didn't leave enough room between the wheel and rear brake drum for improvised tire chains. 16" wheels gives plenty of room, plus the tires just are way better to start with.

It turns out there was no point in doing that because the fuel pump is burned up, so now I get to buy a new one, as none of my other junk has anything that will work.

Can I get a close up shot of that paint job?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Astonishing Wang posted:

Can I get a close up shot of that paint job?

It isn't a paint job it is a horribly lovely vinyl-wrap type thing that is all flaking off and awful. I'd like to run over whoever put it on there :)

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

apatite posted:

The oriented-strand board camo probably works great against the shack behind it.

In case you're unaware, if that 4runner is fuel injected, the fuel pump is a fairly generic piece that was used in lots of fuel-injected Japanese stuff from that era. The bracket and piping is usually unique, but the pump body itself is fairly standard. The pump out of a Isuzu Trooper was a straight swap for mine when it died.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

murphle posted:

The oriented-strand board camo probably works great against the shack behind it.

In case you're unaware, if that 4runner is fuel injected, the fuel pump is a fairly generic piece that was used in lots of fuel-injected Japanese stuff from that era. The bracket and piping is usually unique, but the pump body itself is fairly standard. The pump out of a Isuzu Trooper was a straight swap for mine when it died.

Hilariously that OSB is the inside of the door to the shed......which is painted camo :aaaaa:

All my other toyotas are carb'd with mechanical fuel pumps (22r and 20r) and the subarus need their pumps so they can be shuffled around as needed. The parts subarus have already been scavenged for their pumps

The 22RE from this 4runner will get swapped into my first gen yota in the spring to replace the carb'd 22R, so I am ok with buying a new fuel pump, swapping to a plastic tank at the same time and want an inline pump.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

apatite posted:

Hilariously that OSB is the inside of the door to the shed......which is painted camo :aaaaa:

All my other toyotas are carb'd with mechanical fuel pumps (22r and 20r) and the subarus need their pumps so they can be shuffled around as needed. The parts subarus have already been scavenged for their pumps

The 22RE from this 4runner will get swapped into my first gen yota in the spring to replace the carb'd 22R, so I am ok with buying a new fuel pump, swapping to a plastic tank at the same time and want an inline pump.

Nice 4runner, but why stop at the 22re; those tend to explode.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I'm broke and already have it, plus I am super sick of the truck just sitting around not getting used :)

The first gen already has 4.7:1 gears in the tcase and I have a doubler setup waiting to go in with a stock 2.28:1 case. The 22RE should be fine hopefully, generally have more driveshaft and 3rd member issues when wheeling hard. This truck started out bone stock then quickly headed full rock crawler until the last 22R gave up the ghost and I parked it.

Hoping to get back to a more usable "truck" that can be used for towing, hauling stuff, and even some long trips. The wife hates it when we take long trips in a single cab truck on 35s with leaf springs on all four corners so I did a ton of work to the rear suspension (F150 leaf springs flipped around with hangers frenched into frame and remote res. 14" travel bilsteins) and that rides real nice now. Rear leaves out of 4runner will go into front of 1st gen at the same time as the motor swap and doubler install to balance it all out on the super cheap.

How well do the CVs and steering gear in your IFS setup hold up with the motor swap and larger tires? I never made it far with offroading my IFS toyota, got sick of it and bought a SFA truck

CBD
Oct 31, 2012
the ifs is a lot tougher than people give it credit for. That being said I don't do a lot of rock climbing because there isn't much around, but it sees hard mud, snow and steep climbs quite often. I can't comment much on the ride because I bought the truck on a scrap title, so its never been on road. The only problem with the engine swap is that it sags the torsion bars hard. Definitely need to swap for OME or NWOR.

Definitely jealous of your 4.7:1 tcase though, my double kit comes this week. my spare tcase is useless on the shelf.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CBD posted:

Nice 4runner, but why stop at the 22re; those tend to explode.

bad rear end. but your engine is missing one letter.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

bad rear end. but your engine is missing one letter.

if you have the turbo you can't run a hood, and it takes up all the space where my electrical equipment sits.
If I could find one though....... :getin:

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Can you fit a 3L into the 4runners?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

apatite posted:

Your other option for inline EFI pumps is the secondary ford f150 fuel pump. I think rangers and a bunch of other fords have the same one. There's a low pressure pump, then the inline high pressure pump. A new pump for my old subaru was gonna be well over $150, and I picked up an f150 one on ebay for like $25.

Only thing, get one that comes with an output fitting, I think they're 10mm thread. I couldn't find a fitting that worked anywhere locally. I was in a pinch so I tapped it out to 1/8" npt and it's been working fine for about 7 months...

CBD
Oct 31, 2012

Simon Numbers posted:

which 3L, the 7MGE is a 3.0L, requires relocating the rad, mine is in the back. the v6 was an optional engine, so yes.

Also as far as fuel pumps go for 22re and other same era Toyota engines, I just used a 15 - 20 psi Holley pump I had sitting around when I installed my fuel cell. The other scrap yard pump is any volvo or saab of the same era, they are the same part number if I remember right.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Simon Numbers posted:

the 2.8L Naturally Athsmatic Diesel 3L or a 3.0litre motor?

The 2.8D is practically a drop in, so would a 1KZ-TE factory turbo diesel.

I have seen the next generation 4 runner running around with a 1UZ-FE and a centrifugal blower

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Evening trip!

linked for huge:
http://imgur.com/1YXuClg
http://imgur.com/iyPYjzp

I let my partner drive.

He didnt remember the diffs are on the passenger side.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hope you don't mind the data dump, Cleghorn Road, San Bernadino near LA.

Started out as exploring just more of these OHV areas around LA. They're great places, you just have to watch out for motoX and quadbikes around blind corners.

A lot of the trail was spend doing this. (I have a tiny man surfing my Jeep at all times if I can help it).

Lots of super off-camber things to be scared of while driving.

A few puddles (I enjoy puddles in the desert)

Several people had apparently rolled or flopped over in these areas:

There was actually a lot of debris around certain sections. Not cool that people didn't clean it up, also kind of scary. This was the second hard top we found. I could've used some of the parts probably (more on this later).

See? Scary. There was another sign along the way with a skull and crossbones but I don't have a picture.

Not many rocks to be quite honest. This was about all of them.

Some narrow passageways.

Which we did downhill.

A friend with a stock Sport also managed to do all this downhill poo poo (uphill is a completely different story without lockers). It's a bit more like bobsled than Jeeping at this point though.

In the end I made it out with only a lost left fender-indicator. I was half expecting to lose it, I even found a fairly ok condition one earlier on the trail (before I lost mine), I picked it up only to think that it could never happen to me. I ended up losing it within the last 10 minutes of a 5 hour offroad trail which disappointed me.

It kind of reminded me of an episode of Roadkill where the highway giveth and it taketh away. They break down with one of their usually busted cars, find parts to fix it literally on the shoulder of the highway, and leave a section of hose there to return the favor. This almost exactly happened on this trip, but I don't really condone leaving shattered glass and giant chunks of plastic in these areas.

The dashcam thread persuaded me to buy a camera recently, so it was all filmed (7+hours) and I made a shite video about my gay excursion into convenient government lands just outside a massive city because I'm a oval office:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAaaCjBJhnU

tuna fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 2, 2014

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Here's a video from two weekends ago - Out in Anza Borrego off of a trail called Buttes Pass or Goat trail. I can't remember exactly which it was :(

It was a fun climb - loose sand makes me more nervous than a lot of other things, but I'm getting the hang of it a little better each time I go out.

This is with one of those $50 chinese G1W dashcams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYNjKI3EbI

e: do not enter

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Do you have locking diffs?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Do you have locking diffs?

Only in the front - the rear is LSD which doesn't seem to help a whole lot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

Only in the front - the rear is LSD which doesn't seem to help a whole lot.
Yeah, that's what I've heard. That's why I'm pretty set on putting a Detroit in the back.

Cool vid, though!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

Got a link, or a seller name? I've got a floodlight from Myers on my roof rack, and it works great. I'd love to add some backup lights and some low spots for snow.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wait, we have a new Rubicon and it has a locker switch for front / rear so I'd always assumed there were true lockers front and rear. Is this not the case?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Rubicon X's have electric lockers, not sure if they're true lockers, or like the anemic e-lockers.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Wait, we have a new Rubicon and it has a locker switch for front / rear so I'd always assumed there were true lockers front and rear. Is this not the case?

Rubis have a "true" electronic locker in the front and rear.

So its a long weekend coming up and I'm thinking of going and exploring a bit of southern Arizona. I want to check out the Desert Bar and some of the grand canyon. It'll just be us in one Jeep so I don't want to venture too far into the deserted wastelands alone, however I'd love some suggestions of places to go, explore, places you can only get to with a big Jeep, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tuna posted:

Rubis have a "true" electronic locker in the front and rear.

So its a long weekend coming up and I'm thinking of going and exploring a bit of southern Arizona. I want to check out the Desert Bar and some of the grand canyon. It'll just be us in one Jeep so I don't want to venture too far into the deserted wastelands alone, however I'd love some suggestions of places to go, explore, places you can only get to with a big Jeep, etc.

Um, if you're going near the Grand Canyon then you have to stop in Sedona and run a few of the trails.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Um, if you're going near the Grand Canyon then you have to stop in Sedona and run a few of the trails.

Cool thanks, looks convenient! I'll try and plan it in.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

sharkytm posted:

Got a link, or a seller name? I've got a floodlight from Myers on my roof rack, and it works great. I'd love to add some backup lights and some low spots for snow.

I bought with a 10" driving bar from Black Box Logistics, and I was seriously impressed by the amount of light output and the quality of the light and wiring harness.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Check out this guys stuff

http://stores.ebay.com/xxltechnology/

I have the 10" LED Bar from him, and besides it not saying rigid on it, it's the same bar.

Also here's a 50" for super cheap that a poo poo load of people over on the JK forums have bought and love

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251360406836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looks like he has all different sizes as well.

I have both real Rigid lights and the knockoff and honestly you can't tell the different in light output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was it this thread or the Jeep thread that had some links to electronic "smart" second battery chargers ? I want to do dual batteries in mine and daddy's Jeeps.