Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

twistedmentat posted:

One item I keep getting any have no idea what to do with are the items that are for some kind of play, I don't really understand that.
You can put on your own stage productions in London. I think that's what they're for anyway, I've never actually tried to use them because the barrier that's traditionally kept me from directing plays has never been a lack of props. What I'm saying is they're kind of a niche item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

One item I keep getting any have no idea what to do with are the items that are for some kind of play, I don't really understand that.

There's a theatre in London that lets RPers put on shows or something. Using the theatrics items give you extra props etc to use if you're on-stage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

There's a theatre in London that lets RPers put on shows or something. Using the theatrics items give you extra props etc to use if you're on-stage.

Ah yes...the Albion Theatre. A super awesome place that opened with much fanfare and was never heard of or developed for again.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Ah yes...the Albion Theatre. A super awesome place that opened with much fanfare and was never heard of or developed for again.

In fairness, that's one of the only things in an update that wasn't broken as poo poo on release. It didn't really need development afterward.

It's used when pretty much anybody's throwing an RP party, and the rehearsal instance is one of the more popular private RP instances.

EDIT: vv No, that's the Mancave.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 29, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

In fairness, that's one of the only things in an update that wasn't broken as poo poo on release. It didn't really need development afterward.

It's used when pretty much anybody's throwing an RP party, and the rehearsal instance is one of the more popular private RP instances.

They could have added more props or backdrops. As it is the thing is basically a private instance for RP orgies.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Did they ever end up releasing the bachelor clothing set that we all tried so hard to vote for?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Brain In A Jar posted:

Did they ever end up releasing the bachelor clothing set that we all tried so hard to vote for?

The winners of that contest were the mental patient for the guys, and the boring and useless armor for the girls. Neither have been released yet, but they're probably coming.

The costume stuff is usually front-loaded in an issue; the first few weeks you'll get fancy unique outfits then it goes into recolors of existing stuff and other pre-existing assets when we start nearing the next issue.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 29, 2014

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Idly curious as to whether the game gets shut down before we find out what's going on in the Congo. Sub wager on it being a giant roman filth monkey mega boss.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So how the poo poo are you supposed to do group mode of that VR sim thing with pubbies? Is it basically an extra difficulty level setting instead of actually intended to be for groups? Because i've noticed that group mode is noticeably harder/longer than duoing or soloing it.

I've had one decent group out of all the runs i've done, and it basically required me to take them all by the throat and throttle them until they paid attention to the ridiculous number of mobs running about. I don't see how anyone could do that poo poo without some sort of ridiculous crack team given the average level of player competency on display. Especially since one idiot causing a wipe seems to be able to lead to you getting swarmed by adds from new spawn ins, which can cascade into a clusterfuck of dead survivors very easily.

Maybe I just have terrible luck with pubbies in this game. :(

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 29, 2014

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

twistedmentat posted:

Tried to get into the Kingsmouth airport last night, it took me a while to realize that the guards were all standing facing specific directions and never moved. I'm also really happy that I finally got a weapon upgrade from a quest. Yea, Q3 pistols.

e;fb, didn't see the next page.

Archonex posted:

So how the poo poo are you supposed to do group mode of that VR sim thing with pubbies? Is it basically an extra difficulty level setting instead of actually intended to be for groups? Because i've noticed that group mode is noticeably harder/longer than duoing or soloing it.

I've had one decent group out of all the runs i've done, and it basically required me to take them all by the throat and throttle them until they paid attention to the ridiculous number of mobs running about. I don't see how anyone could do that poo poo without some sort of ridiculous crack team given the average level of player competency on display. Especially since one idiot causing a wipe seems to be able to lead to you getting swarmed by adds from new spawn ins, which can cascade into a clusterfuck of dead survivors very easily.

Maybe I just have terrible luck with pubbies in this game. :(

I've had good pubbies before, but only by advertising for 10.4s and experienced. If they gently caress up on the first wave, I leave and wait for the failure timer to count down. At least three out of five folks on the team have to know the maps and the spawns or you die miserably.

Zhaan fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 29, 2014

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Generally I refuse to do anything with pubbies unless they are 10.4+ geared. There's always bound to be at least one monkey loving up something for the rest of the group when going out with pugs. But if they are decently geared at least they have the dps/heal to make up for it. Personally I don't find scenarios that hard but then again I'm decked out in 10.4.4+ gear across the board so your mileage may vary. I usually solo normal and elite group scenarios and do the lazy mans 3-man nightmare group scenarios with some cabalies. My advice would be to find a cabal where people know their poo poo.

pro-tip: place freezing mines in the middle of survivor groups.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 29, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Rumor: Funcom is being investigated for insider trading (NeoGAF thread)

Gotta say that if this is true it's a really loving bad sign for TSW.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
:(

I hope it still has a year or two while this works out, I'd like to take a Templar to Transylvania and do some of the later raids before it closes down.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
RPS article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/29/funcom-charged-over-possible-financial-infringements/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It's far too early to say anything, and it could easily be nothing, but there's no way this is anything but bad news. I really hope it's nothing major, or just continued aftershocks of some of the crap that apparently happened a few years ago. The game's having enough problems by itself, it doesn't need the real world making it worse.

In more 'positive' news: They're testing the Flappy raid on the 29th and 30th on Testlive, and want about fifty people for it. If anyone here's masochistic, then turn up there at some point between 1 and 8 PM to tell us how badly they hosed it up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
From Funcompetence to Funcomalfeasance.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, some of the quest design in the Valley is just loving awful. An under-valued side mission that should have been an investigation with all of the extracurricular bullshit involved. At least two missions with waves spaced to leave no time for healing. Oh, and one of those missions that throws the game's interface standards out the window and requires you to guess or google an emote.

The story's better than what I expected from the premise. I like the concept behind the ability wheel, though there's an enormous amount of cruft on it. The sabotage missions are a neat touch: I didn't expect anyone to actually implement something like a sneaker in an MMO. I can take or leave the investigation missions, but frankly, if I'm leaving the game to search for something, I'm going straight for a guide; I'm already wasting enough time in the game as it is.

I think I'm going to pack it in, maybe read the rest of the plot on the wiki. I'm tired of running back and forth from one completed mission to get the next, and completely exhausted with spending half a fight mashing the builder button. MMO combat rotations usually aren't rocket science to begin with, but there's something to be said for a bit of variety. Regardless, I think I got more than my money's worth stumbling around Solomon Island. Thanks again for all the help.

ptp
Aug 27, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Jesus, some of the quest design in the Valley is just loving awful. An under-valued side mission that should have been an investigation with all of the extracurricular bullshit involved. At least two missions with waves spaced to leave no time for healing. Oh, and one of those missions that throws the game's interface standards out the window and requires you to guess or google an emote.

The story's better than what I expected from the premise. I like the concept behind the ability wheel, though there's an enormous amount of cruft on it. The sabotage missions are a neat touch: I didn't expect anyone to actually implement something like a sneaker in an MMO. I can take or leave the investigation missions, but frankly, if I'm leaving the game to search for something, I'm going straight for a guide; I'm already wasting enough time in the game as it is.

I think I'm going to pack it in, maybe read the rest of the plot on the wiki. I'm tired of running back and forth from one completed mission to get the next, and completely exhausted with spending half a fight mashing the builder button. MMO combat rotations usually aren't rocket science to begin with, but there's something to be said for a bit of variety. Regardless, I think I got more than my money's worth stumbling around Solomon Island. Thanks again for all the help.

For all its shortcomings, the story alone is worth it. It's basically the world's most seamless transition between single-player and co-op. The Egypt storyline's not bad, and the Romania one is really good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

From what I played during my trial I'd have to say it felt like the old Neverwinter Nights games as far as storytelling goes. I'll probably grab it the next time it goes on sale.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Most, if not all, of the cutscenes are on youtube. Unfair.co has links to them if you want more then wikis.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
1.8.4 introduces fantastic new MYSTERY BOXES in the item store! Purchase and open them to discover their secrets! I wonder if one contains Funcom's missing financial documentation?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Scandalous posted:

1.8.4 introduces fantastic new MYSTERY BOXES in the item store! Purchase and open them to discover their secrets! I wonder if one contains Funcom's missing financial documentation?

This is actually how they're smuggling everybody out of Norway.

Grillburg
Oct 9, 2013
I hate those drat Grab Bag things. Neverwinter is drowning on a tidal wave of lockboxes and server-wide announcements any time someone gets the drat rare mount out of one (about every two minutes).

That isn't going to convince me to spend anything on the keys to open them, it just convinces me they're only one step above Facebook social games with their "You pushed a button! Share your progress with 50 friends to unlock the next button to press!" garbage.

Dumb lockboxes aside, I AM having fun grinding away at Kingsmouth and the Savage Coast, testing out decks. I know they're frequently not ideal, but they're helping me learn what different ability combos do. I'm thinking of not leaving Savage Coast until I have all of the inner wheel unlocked, just for fun.

Also, JEFFREY COMBS! Hooray Dr. Montag! (Of course he has to appear in a Lovecraft-themed game!) Oh, I forgot he'd already appeared as Zurn in the Illuminati intro too.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Has anyone data mined the contents of the boxes yet, or is that a goon habit that died with me?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

Has anyone data mined the contents of the boxes yet, or is that a goon habit that died with me?

It says what they can give in the store.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Cheston posted:

It says what they can give in the store.

Do they contain mysteries?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Nothing in the mystery boxes are things you can't already get in the game, which is good.

In other news, Agartha got darker. The entire place is now at the light level that the gate to the first filth phase was at.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
If there is one thing I dislike about the game is that the further you get into, the longer the mission cooldowns get. Damnit, I want to grind higher level quality talismans (and theb buy materials at auction house to have moderately slithely less worse gear) before advancing! (I am bad at game, too)

Hell I am in Egypt and still rocking some ql5 stuffs because I haven't found ql7-8 poo poo with more HP.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What's the monthly item? Should I reinstall the game? (New computer, I didn't uninstall it.)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
The more I play scenarios, the more I can't help but feel that the obsessive focus on instance running as their primary end game has really hosed over this game in terms of larger appeal.

They really need to take a page from other MMO's and do some actual dynamic and progressive content. The era where the vast majority of players are satisfied with mindlessly running instances and smugly pointing to their phat loot as justification for their time wasted has been waning ever since WoW hit the end of WotLK.

It's kind of jarring when you look at the setting and realize how innovative it is in the scheme of MMO's. Especially when you look at the newer crop of MMO's and realize that games like GW2 are finally starting to pioneer actual intentional emergent PVE/Player interactions via their event chains. While games like Star Trek Online are literally letting you command a ship and play a MMO Captain Picard style.

Hopefully Tokyo actually has something more than the usual question mark NPC's and story continuation going for i---Ahahaha, who am I kidding? :(

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 1, 2014

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Instances never bothered me. In fact the dungeon bosses looked cool as hell and had interesting mechanics.

Things that made me quit years ago:

1) Bugs
2) Default user interface was garbage and making mods was awkward due to the flash UI middleware they chose
3) No dungeon finder (back then)
4) Combat system was a bit boring and mainly revolved about building five resources and using a finisher (this may have just been me not understanding the game fully)
5) The gear was mainly uninteresting stat sticks (this also may be wrong because I never got to the highest tiers of content)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

guppy posted:

What's the monthly item? Should I reinstall the game? (New computer, I didn't uninstall it.)

Ski Goggles

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Are there any sales on this? I kind of want to play, but I missed all the half off deals they were running and 30 bucks feels kind of steep.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Saxophone posted:

Are there any sales on this? I kind of want to play, but I missed all the half off deals they were running and 30 bucks feels kind of steep.

Frequently. It's been marked down for pretty much every major Steam sale in the past year.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Minsky posted:

4) Combat system was a bit boring and mainly revolved about building five resources and using a finisher (this may have just been me not understanding the game fully)

It isn't just you, that's kinda how the game just is. The largest part of determining your effectiveness in combat is gear and how you build the deck, with the latter being the more "interactive" half. Once you actually get into battles it's just build build build finish.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Ski Goggles

So no then?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
Ze goggles! They do nutzing!

Yeah... if that's the only draw so far... may want to hold off for now.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I've decided to play this for a little bit, I'm trying to make a good Blade/Elementalist build, but, I kinda forgot how I should allocate the skill points for equipment.

Was it something like 2 Head Talisman, 1 Major Talisman, 1 Minor Talisman, 1 Primary Weapon, 1 Secondary Weapon, repeat, or something else?

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Cleretic posted:

In other news, Agartha got darker. The entire place is now at the light level that the gate to the first filth phase was at.

Interesting. I take it the current crop of Tendrils of Dis haven't been killed off yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
^^^^^

Not even halfway when I looked over the weekend.

• Locked thread