Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Yoga 2 Pro - That Wifi driver update seems to have improved a bit. I'm in an apartment complex with tiny studios (ah, sweet San Francisco) so I get a metric shitton of interference and things were pretty bad; this isn't great but it's a lot better than what was.

I may swap out the wireless card eventually; how onerous is that? Actually, if I get the accidental damage protection from Lenovo I probably shouldn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Lenovo uses a whitelist method for their wifi cards. You are limited to exact models that shipped with the laptop in question. You can hunt down those models with relative ease, but there is no chance of "upgrading" to a different card. Maybe invest in an external antennae?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Pretty sure you can edit/remove the whitelist via bios flash, but I haven't really looked into it, just seen others mentioning it while researching various things.

Also, I ordered my y410p like a few days before christmas and it was here on the 26th or 27th, I think that's pretty fantastic. Remember Dell used to always have crazy estimates and randomly take a month to assemble and ship anything, and they're American, so.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LogicNinja posted:

Tell me more, I was just about to buy an accidental damage warranty for when I inevitably drop or etc my new machne.

I have it, but either call them up and purchase the onsite repair or prepare to wait 3 weeks for the computer to come back after sending it into the debot. Worse, there's a chance that it'll come back even more broken and ughhhh. I have the worst luck with computers, it's ridiculous.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

P.N.T.M. posted:

RELATED: If you do not order your laptop with the 16GB M.2 drive, then your laptop will only have a single M.2 drive slot. The general consensus of this thread is that you should definitely order the laptop with the M.2 drive, so that you have a greater ability to upgrade in the future once M.2 drives are more prevalent. "Single" and "Double" could be referencing the space for the drives, since M.2s do come in different lengths.

I ordered mine without an M.2 drive :(

Do I understand you correctly that they have a different motherboard revision without an M.2 slot that they ship when you don't order an M.2 drive? I assumed that they'd just leave the slot empty, and I could install my own M.2 drive later. It's not a terribly big deal if they send me a build without a slot, as I can still use a 2.5" SSD.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

P.N.T.M. posted:

Lenovo uses a whitelist method for their wifi cards. You are limited to exact models that shipped with the laptop in question. You can hunt down those models with relative ease, but there is no chance of "upgrading" to a different card. Maybe invest in an external antennae?

I was under the impression that there was a better card that was on the whitelist that some people had put in?

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

P.N.T.M. posted:

This comes up every time someone orders from Lenovo. Here's the deal:

You are ordering an electronic device from China. It will take a month. They will dick you around with the estimate 2 or 3 times. They will give you a conservative estimate, a "your lucky day" estimate and an estimate that isn't far from the actual day of arrival. I can't tell you what order those estimates will be given to you, just don't go crazy when they switch up the ETA on you.

Is this in reference to the listed "ships in..." date on their website or actual shipping times? If it says that it ships in 3 days that's just a crapshoot?

I ask because I planned to likely order one on Feb 1/2 with the plan to have it before Feb 26. Is that a foolish hope?

BitterAvatar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 27, 2014

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

SamDabbers posted:

I ordered mine without an M.2 drive :(

Do I understand you correctly that they have a different motherboard revision without an M.2 slot that they ship when you don't order an M.2 drive? I assumed that they'd just leave the slot empty, and I could install my own M.2 drive later. It's not a terribly big deal if they send me a build without a slot, as I can still use a 2.5" SSD.

This is where I have read the thread and am relaying what I have heard. Yes, there are two revisions: One has two M.2 slots, the other has one slot. You will be receiving the revision with one M.2 slot. It isn't the end of the world, you will still have room for upgrades, just not the crazy ability to have three drives in your laptop. :)

LogicNinja posted:

I was under the impression that there was a better card that was on the whitelist that some people had put in?

Good luck to you. I only know their general practices. Just be careful, the whitelist has specific Lenovo models of the associated cards, not just a generic card you might find. Model numbers should reflect that its a Lenovo card you're purchasing.

BitterAvatar posted:

Is this in reference to the listed "ships in..." date on their website or actual shipping times? If it says that it ships in 3 days that's just a crapshoot?

I ask because I planned to likely order one on Feb 1/2 with the plan to have it before Feb 26. Is that a foolish hope?

That was in reference to the "ships in..." quote. Once it ships, UPS has it in their hands, and they don't screw around. The sooner you order, the sooner you will get your laptop. I can't tell you when it will arrive or how long it will take total, but ordering from Lenovo directly is ordering:

From China
a custom order
to be placed in Lenovo's production queue
to be shipped internationally

It takes a month, on average.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I ordered directly from Lenovo and UPS had my laptop the next day, so there's that. It seems like only weird outdated configs (like y410ps with 768p screens) take a huge amount of time to ship and/or ship from china or wherever, but they're also far more expensive than they should be so it's hard to accidentally order one of those.

They do say they ship from multiple locations, so I'd imagine they already have tons of the more popular stuff stateside.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Hadlock posted:

The new HP 11 and 13" chromebooks are well regarded, and chromebooks are consistently #1 in sales on Amazon with zero complaints reported here so you should be good to go. Just recognize that you're replacing a $1500 laptop with a $250 laptop so expectations should be lower.

You might consider a compromise with an iPad with bluetooth keyboard. There are a lot of options when it comes to ipad bluetooth keyboards. That way she still gets a high quality mac, you keep your price ceiling below $500 and she can still use it's web browser.

Thanks for the feedback.

iPad is interesting and I thought about that, but my concern is that it's smaller than she wanted and a bit hacky. She also doesn't want a touch screen.

I'll go check out Chromebooks in person before I try to sell her on the idea, but I think it's going to do 95% of what she needs and right now she doesn't even want to spend the money to buy anything and would prefer to stick with her broken machine that constantly crashes so $600 worth of iPad + Keyboard is probably out.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

P.N.T.M. posted:

This comes up every time someone orders from Lenovo. Here's the deal:

You are ordering an electronic device from China. It will take a month. They will dick you around with the estimate 2 or 3 times. They will give you a conservative estimate, a "your lucky day" estimate and an estimate that isn't far from the actual day of arrival. I can't tell you what order those estimates will be given to you, just don't go crazy when they switch up the ETA on you.

FWIW, I ordered an X240 w/FHD screen and AC wifi on 1/17.

It shipped today, 10 days after ordering (they are built to order). Not bad, especially for Lenovo.

Edit: I'm in the US.

The extra battery I also ordered with it shipped the same day the order was placed.

I'll post some pics when it gets here. IPS FHD goodness on a X240. Unicorns, finally.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 28, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hotsauce posted:

FWIW, I ordered an X240 w/FHD screen and AC wifi on 1/17.

It shipped today, 10 days after ordering (they are built to order). Not bad, especially for Lenovo.

Edit: I'm in the US.

The extra battery I also ordered with it shipped the same day the order was placed.

I'll post some pics when it gets here. IPS FHD goodness on a X240. Unicorns, finally.
That's exactly what I'm planning on getting. Did you get it with the M.2 drive and if not can you peek inside and see if it has an open slot for one? Can I buy it from you when you inevitably get rid of it next month?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's exactly what I'm planning on getting. Did you get it with the M.2 drive and if not can you peek inside and see if it has an open slot for one? Can I buy it from you when you inevitably get rid of it next month?

Lol. Computers and phones are an entire different ballgame for me. I try to keep computers until they die.

I'll take a look when it gets here and let you know.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Someone here already called Lenovo a week or so ago and confirmed that x240's without M.2 drives still come with the slots

Not sure where that rumor started

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Someone here already called Lenovo a week or so ago and confirmed that x240's without M.2 drives still come with the slots

Not sure where that rumor started
That was me. The guy I called just said "yes" to all my questions so I'm not 100% sure that he wasn't just saying poo poo to get me off the phone. The reason for my concern was this:

P.N.T.M. posted:

RELATED: If you do not order your laptop with the 16GB M.2 drive, then your laptop will only have a single M.2 drive slot. The general consensus of this thread is that you should definitely order the laptop with the M.2 drive, so that you have a greater ability to upgrade in the future once M.2 drives are more prevalent. "Single" and "Double" could be referencing the space for the drives, since M.2s do come in different lengths.
That's for the T440s, so I thought it might be the same for the X240.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
How huge of a difference will 4 vs 8 GB of RAM make? I am going to Best Buy today to pick up a new hybrid laptop. I want the Yoga Pro 2 but they only have the 4 GB model in stock; I think I might be able to grab one with a SSD though. However, there is the Vaio Flip with 8 GB of RAM and a platter HDD in stock too, so I'm kind of on the fence.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BUTT CONSPIRACY posted:

How huge of a difference will 4 vs 8 GB of RAM make? I am going to Best Buy today to pick up a new hybrid laptop. I want the Yoga Pro 2 but they only have the 4 GB model in stock; I think I might be able to grab one with a SSD though. However, there is the Vaio Flip with 8 GB of RAM and a platter HDD in stock too, so I'm kind of on the fence.

It depends on whether you run out of RAM. Well also if you don't turn off the computer much, having 8 GB means more stuff will be in cache, and you can (more likely be able to) just close your browser and reopen it without it (mostly) hitting disk.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I ended up having them order the Yoga Pro 2 with the SSD and 8gb of RAM anyway. :shobon:

Caedo
Jan 28, 2014

Mulloy posted:

I basically have the same question TheBlueRoom posted. I have a 6 year old netbook which is great for writing/light Excel work and looking things up online, but it's old. I also occasionally go places where I would like to be able to have the option to play games reasonably well.

Edit: It looks like waiting until something with the HD5200 may be the best option for me, but I can only find one model anywhere that has them right now.

If you didn't know, HD 5200 is termed "Iris Pro" commercially and you might have better luck finding laptops using that as a search term.

Schenker S413: http://mysn.co.uk/shop/schenker-s413.html
Cyberpower Zeus Hercules: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Cyberpower-Zeus-Hercules.106939.0.html
Sager NP2740: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP2740
Macbook Pro
Vizio will be updating their Thin+Light lineup and says they'll include Iris Pro graphics in early 2014...

The Iris 5100 is a slightly downclocked 5200. The HD5000 retains the HD descriptor but I don't remember off-hand how much it will differ from the 'Iris' graphics solutions.

When I get off work I'll edit this post with the list of mobile processors using the HD5000, Iris 5100, and Iris Pro 5200 graphics.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
There is a big difference in power between the HD 5000, Iris, and Iris Pro. The gaming performance of the HD 5000 is behind the HD 4600 because of its constrained TDP of 15W. The HD 5100 Iris is around current-Gen low-range dedicated GPU; it's essentially a Iris Pro without the defining eDRAM cache. The Iris Pro is slightly behind current midrange mobile GPUs like the GT 750M.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
If "slightly behind" means "nearly 30% slower than", I guess. Bioshock Infinite runs something like 50 FPS on high settings on the 750 and ~30 on Iris Pro, for example. It's not even close to the 750, it's more somewhere between the 730 and 740M. I gave up on finding an Iris Pro system, there's more with 730Ms and stuff and because of Optimus it's not a huge battery waste.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
I thought the Iris Pro did a little better than that.

The Iris Pro is only available on quadcore i7 processors, so you're not likely to see outside of gaming laptops that'd be undoubtedly coming with a better dGPU.

Even on desktops it's a fabulous waste of money.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the market for a new laptop (or desktop I guess). Primary use is to brose these great forums. Secondarily I will be streaming live sporting events monthly or bimonthly (ideally to my TV). The machine will probably never leave my house. I will be using it mainly on the couch while watching TV or on a desk/table.

I stopped by Best Buy on my lunch break to handle some of the computers there. Some observations and questions:

*Right off the bat I noticed ALL the 4th gen i3 desktops were way faster or more responsive than ALL the 4th gen laptops (i5 and i7)

*Every laptop under $899 stuttered VERY badly when trying to pinch to zoom on The Forums. Even the i7 equipped machines had BAD stuttering. Seriously bad. Like dealbreaker bad. The only exception was an Asus model with a i5 4200U that was priced at $599 and zoomed in and out very smoothly (I'm comparing to a mid2013 macbook air 13"). What's odd is some of the laptops that did a terrible job at pinch to zoom cost a couple hundred dollars more and used the same i5 4200U processor :iiam:.

*Most machines under the $899 mark also had bad trackpads. By far the best machine at any price under $899 seemed to be that ASUS model w/ the i5 4200U for $599.

Some questions:

* Dollar for dollar, are desktops/all in ones much better performing machines? Room to room portability is the most I'd ever need and many of the all in ones seem to work unplugged for at least a little while, as well as having vastly superior screens and being quicker as far as I can tell.

* For those of you who ordered a refurb t410 recently from amazon/newegg/whatever, how has it been behaving for general web browsing? How is the pinch to zoom :stare:

* After looking at all those computers I'm starting to consider getting a Ideapad Y410 to use as a desktop replacement. With the i7 and dedicated graphics can I expect it to have better all around performance than the machiens under $899 at Best Buy?

I basically want a computer that is very quick, no lag (especially not when brand new) and a decent trackpad and screen. Battery life is not important because I will be within 10 ft of an outlet at all times. Recommendations under $800? Durability is not paramount because, again, the computer will not be moving far at all or subjected to really any abuse.

Sorry if this post is too vague or dumb but I'm running off 2 hours of sleep and just finishing my 2nd 10.5 hour shift. I'll provide more details as needed.

Thanks in advance.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Yoga 2 Pro wifi card seems to work just fine and dandy at my significant other's place, where there are only a few other wireless networks around, and almost not at all at my place, where there are like 50 and strong interference on all channels.

My place is small enough I'm just going to get a 15' ethernet cable and an ethernet-to-USB3.0 doohickey, no need to try to replace the card unless this becomes a major problem.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
TigerDirect is offering the Aspire V7-482PG-6629 for $799.99 after rebate

This looks like a pretty good deal. It's got a 14'' IPS touchscreen with an Intel i5-4200U 1.60GHz Dual-Core processor, 8GB of memory, 500GB HD with 25GB SSD, and a Geforce GT750M. 4.41 lbs

My other option is the IdeaPad Y410p Laptop for $779 which has a 14.0" HD+ Glossy LED Backlit (Is this TN or IPS??), Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB), 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD, 8 GB of memory, and NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB. 5.5 lbs.

Which one is the better laptop for college work, some gaming (Dota 2?), and watching movies. Is the performance difference going to be significant? I'm interested in the touchscreen on the Acer but I'm not sure how practical or useful it's going to be. Also is the Y410p a TN or IPS screen?

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 29, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Wow, that seems like a pretty dang good deal. It's even got a GT 750M. At $799 I would probably have taken this over the Yoga 2 (Which was 400 more and has no graphics card, but is convertible). 4 and a half pounds is about as good as you're gonna get for a machine like that.

Caedo
Jan 28, 2014

GrizzlyCow posted:

There is a big difference in power between the HD 5000, Iris, and Iris Pro. The gaming performance of the HD 5000 is behind the HD 4600 because of its constrained TDP of 15W. The HD 5100 Iris is around current-Gen low-range dedicated GPU; it's essentially a Iris Pro without the defining eDRAM cache.

Finally home and able to check on Wiki and the like, and yep, that looks like the case.

Iris 5100 is an HD5000 that can reach 1.1-1.3GHz. Iris Pro 5200 is an Iris 5100 with eDRAM at similar or higher clock speeds.

Mobile processors with Iris Graphics, per Intel:

i7 4960HQ - Iris Pro 5200 - 47W
i7 4960HQ - Iris Pro 5200 - 47W
i7 4850HQ - Iris Pro 5200 - 47W
i7 4750HQ - Iris Pro 5200 - 47W

i7 4558U - Iris 5100 - 28W

The trouble I find is that laptops/notebooks with Iris and Iris Pro graphics are few in number and typically expensive for what you get (up there with discrete graphics laptops). What I would personally love to see is an Iris or Iris Pro class graphics with a 1080 screen and 10+ hr battery life for under $700. Since Iris is Intel's graphics flagship and isn't going into any but the 'high end' machines, I don't think what I want is going to happen until early/mid 2015. I think the unreasonable need for super high resolution displays is largely to blame for this, but then I'm happy with a color-true 1080 on laptops.

tesilential posted:

* Dollar for dollar, are desktops/all in ones much better performing machines? Room to room portability is the most I'd ever need and many of the all in ones seem to work unplugged for at least a little while, as well as having vastly superior screens and being quicker as far as I can tell.

Yes and no. A desktop will always be better with performance dollar-for-dollar. The higher your budget, the wider the gap comparing price-performance of desktops to laptops. An all-in-one is generally nothing more than a thicker monitor with laptop parts inside and poor heat management (hence, downclocked parts). Just keep in mind that with a desktop, you still need peripherals. With a laptop, you get a display and keyboard by default.

I don't stream, but from what I can tell streaming will be primarily dependent on the CPU and network management. Any decent quad core from Intel will handle that well enough (in mobile and desktop). I know very, very little about modern wireless networks, network cards, etc., so I can't help you there. I would generally default to picking the best network card available when buying a laptop simply because I don't know.

Caedo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 29, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tesilential posted:

*Right off the bat I noticed ALL the 4th gen i3 desktops were way faster or more responsive than ALL the 4th gen laptops (i5 and i7)

Thanks in advance.

Yes, but the question these days is, can you max out an i5 laptop?* Short of a multi-threaded physics-sandbox game you're going to have trouble doing that for more than 15 minutes at a time.

The answer to the question I posed, unless you do 3D modeling or some form of postgrad engineering research, is no.

Responsiveness is going to be a mix of ram (>4GB greatly prefered) and SSD. Mostly SSD. If responsiveness is something you're worried about, go Win 8.1 and go SSD or go home.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

theDOWmustflow posted:

TigerDirect is offering the Aspire V7-482PG-6629 for $799.99 after rebate

This looks like a pretty good deal. It's got a 14'' IPS touchscreen with an Intel i5-4200U 1.60GHz Dual-Core processor, 8GB of memory, 500GB HD with 25GB SSD, and a Geforce GT750M. 4.41 lbs

My other option is the IdeaPad Y410p Laptop for $779 which has a 14.0" HD+ Glossy LED Backlit (Is this TN or IPS??), Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB), 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD, 8 GB of memory, and NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB. 5.5 lbs.

Which one is the better laptop for college work, some gaming (Dota 2?), and watching movies. Is the performance difference going to be significant? I'm interested in the touchscreen on the Acer but I'm not sure how practical or useful it's going to be. Also is the Y410p a TN or IPS screen?

Wish I could hold this in my hand! This is so much laptop for the price..

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

theDOWmustflow posted:

I'm interested in the touchscreen on the Acer but I'm not sure how practical or useful it's going to be. Also is the Y410p a TN or IPS screen?

I'd say skip the touch screen on any laptop, its just another gross fingerprint magnet and (more importantly) another thing to go wrong (if you don't have a very rigid lid then the glass is fairly easy to break but quite difficult and expensive to replace)

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

dissss posted:

I'd say skip the touch screen on any laptop, its just another gross fingerprint magnet and (more importantly) another thing to go wrong (if you don't have a very rigid lid then the glass is fairly easy to break but quite difficult and expensive to replace)

I hear that a lot here but I've been finding my touchscreen very handy, with Win 8 especially. Win 8 as a whole doesn't work great without one, but with one I often find myself reaching up to touch or swipe.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LogicNinja posted:

I hear that a lot here but I've been finding my touchscreen very handy, with Win 8 especially. Win 8 as a whole doesn't work great without one, but with one I often find myself reaching up to touch or swipe.

You don't use Classic Shell do you?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SlayVus posted:

You don't use Classic Shell do you?

I end up using windows 8 exactly the way I used win 7: All my common programs are pinned to the taskbar, launched with winkey+number, and anything else is just winkey + start typing. For any settings there's win+x. I never really used old start menu at all.

In actual laptop news, there's a new X1 carbon out, featuring a 14" 2560 * 1440 screen.

Unfortunately the loaded model (8 gigs ram, 256 gig SSD, 17-4600U, 2560*1440 screen) is ~1,900 and there's no customization options yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gwaihir posted:

In actual laptop news, there's a new X1 carbon out, featuring a 14" 2560 * 1440 screen.

They also ruined it with the worst keyboard the world has ever seen.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I'm incredibly incredibly sad I can't just transplant my W520's keyboard on to every future laptop I have. It's been utterly perfect for me in every way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, I'm incredibly incredibly sad I can't just transplant my W520's keyboard on to every future laptop I have. It's been utterly perfect for me in every way.

That's why I bought a Lenovo USB keyboard for my desktop many moons ago. Same keyboard as my X220.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They also ruined it with the worst keyboard the world has ever seen.
You're just talking about the function keys, right? I like the split home/end and backspace/delete.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You're just talking about the function keys, right? I like the split home/end and backspace/delete.

Any deviation from standard is bad.

WHY would they change it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Any deviation from standard is bad.

WHY would they change it?
Yup, keyboards are perfect as-is, no need to try anything new.

It wouldn't work for me since I use F-keys regularly but I approve of making better use of a double-wide key than caps lock, and home/end seems perfect since they're frequently used with control and shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's hard to differentiate the flagship model when it looks identical to the midrange and low end models with all the same features.

In today's market, high end features are in the midrange models next year, and low end models the year after that. Micro Center has ivy bridge touch screen laptops for $329, in 2012 that was an X1-only Thinkpad feature.

Split space bars are stupid (I have an old 90s era HP Pavilion keyboard with one) but it's something marketing can point to and say,"look! It's different!"