Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I just picture a fat, mustachioed, sweaty man pulling wildly at cables and flipping switches shouting YOU WON'T BE RID OF ME THAT EASILY, JANITOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

drukqs posted:

:downs:: What laptop should I buy? My budget is $1000

:hist101:: <My boss and I both link :downs: to two different Lenovo laptops, I also mention a remanufactured Dell business class laptop. All recommendations are Intel based>

:downs:: Here install Office and decrapify this for me please!

:aaa:: $400 Toshiba bought at BestBuy, AMD based.

Thing will pause/hang at the weirdest moments... I'm really not used to it. Several times now I have (prematurely) had to decide "Welp <program> crashed."

I'm guessing it came with Windows 7 Starter, or whatever poo poo version that doesn't let you register it on the domain?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Well, not a ticket by a user, but one by us! Because of my aim for continuous improvement, I said, hey, let's upgrade a ton of staff machines:

That's 70 Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSDs, and one 250GB.

So.. many.. SSDs in one place.

Edit: something very interesting - 7 out of the 71 are made in Korea - the rest are made in China.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 29, 2014

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just put a 120GB 840 in my desktop at home. So much good.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

SSDs are literally the best upgrade you can do, short of replacing the entire motherboard/CPU combination.

I'm betting some of the drives from that photo will mysteriously vanish by the end of the day, if they aren't securely locked up.

...where do you work again? ;)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

SSDs are literally the best upgrade you can do, short of replacing the entire motherboard/CPU combination.

If your company doesn't provide SSDs for their developers, they're burning money in the form of horribly wasted developer time. When your 5 minute compile turns into 15 seconds, suddenly you become monstrously more productive..

Edit: \/\/\/\/ or doing something awful like copy/pasting directories as their source control

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 29, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And anyone who claims they need more than 240GB local storage is probably wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All our HP laptops come with SSD's, but desktops? Nope. WTF HP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people buy desktops anymore though? I thought the age of the work desktop and then some clunky as gently caress VPN client installed on the shitbox home PC was over, to make way for laptops and dock and take it with you?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Volmarias posted:

Edit: \/\/\/\/ or doing something awful like copy/pasting directories as their source control

Or running several different Windows VMs for IE testing locally. (Then again I run mine off an external.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Caged posted:

Do people buy desktops anymore though? I thought the age of the work desktop and then some clunky as gently caress VPN client installed on the shitbox home PC was over, to make way for laptops and dock and take it with you?

Docking stations blow and laptops still aren't as powerfull for the $$.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Volmarias posted:

If your company doesn't provide SSDs for their developers, they're burning money in the form of horribly wasted developer time. When your 5 minute compile turns into 15 seconds, suddenly you become monstrously more productive..

Both of these describe the dev environment I've been landed with.

4GB RAM, 64bit Win7, 4400rpm drive.

15 second compile would be nice, it takes longer than that to switch tabs in Visual Studio 2012.

Source Control is accessed via Citrix and regularly fails when transferring from the local drive, so nobody bothers using it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Did you say a 4400 RPM drive

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wouldn't it be quicker to fax your source changes in?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
A ticket this morning clogs my queue:
"Removed sshd from server for security.

There is something here very wierd ... now can't server access.

I've the customer very, very, very hungry :-S"

Five minutes later:
"Angry ... not "hungry" ... sorry"

I have just had a customer - From Brazil, no less - all but quote the Edward Norton version of Bruce Banner. I think my life might be complete now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not very cost effective to run Solidworks on a laptop.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

Docking stations blow and laptops still aren't as powerfull for the $$.
I swear laptop manufacturers build docking station as a way to punish IT departments for our sins in a previous life or something. I have never seen a docking station that isn't a complete piece of poo poo. Then you add how awfully Windows handles having multiple devices added/removed at the same time and it's a recipe for alcoholism.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The best part of a docking station is when you get a new model laptop and have to junk dozens of $200 docks that work perfectly fine!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Collateral Damage posted:

I swear laptop manufacturers build docking station as a way to punish IT departments for our sins in a previous life or something. I have never seen a docking station that isn't a complete piece of poo poo. Then you add how awfully Windows handles having multiple devices added/removed at the same time and it's a recipe for alcoholism.

No, the Dell ones from YEARS ago, when I actually was up on IT poo poo, were great. Or IBM, one of the two, or maybe both. I'm talking circa-1999/2000, btw. The laptops were solid, the docks were solid, poo poo was great.

I'm getting old, aren't I?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Latitude docks are still pretty great. The E series docks have been around for a while, and I think they're on the roadmap to be around for a while longer. You should be able to use an E series dock with at least 2 laptops over the lifecycle.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've never had a problem with the Dell docking stations we have other than the fact that 90% of the people that have them literally never undock their laptops even though they threw a fit to get one in the first place.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A ticket comment came in...

quote:

Hello all,

I think many of the colleagues do this mistake.
It’s not about 1 individual. To me it looks more of visual parallax error .
I would like to change the “format of text” which SPC pushes to JIRA.

Visual parallax, you say?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HalloKitty posted:

Well, not a ticket by a user, but one by us! Because of my aim for continuous improvement, I said, hey, let's upgrade a ton of staff machines:

Edit: something very interesting - 7 out of the 71 are made in Korea - the rest are made in China.

Hope you don't work there in 3-5 years when they all go bad because users don't know how to handle SSDs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

My mother has a printer hidden in her classroom because she and other teachers aren't allowed to leave their rooms while students are in there so if she needs 5 more copies of something because students are dumb she'd be hosed.

Seriously? I'm probably dating myself horribly here, but I clearly remember even in first grade (6-7 y.o.) being unattended in class for short periods if the teacher needed to take a poo poo or have a smoke or whatever it was grownups did back in the 80s. I guess they don't do that anymore huh?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What is there to handle? Don't defrag? Windows turns off defrag for SSD's automatically.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Hope you don't work there in 3-5 years when they all go bad because users don't know how to handle SSDs.

Not too sure what there is special they have to do, honestly. Windows turns off defrag and TRIM will work fine, plus they have 3-year warranties.

I can see how much disk space people use, and I'm going to set up some scripts to make sure people empty their recycle bins to keep space use down.

Also, what's the alternative? Just say "hard drives are good enough for the masses"? Nah, it's SSD all round time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Seriously? I'm probably dating myself horribly here, but I clearly remember even in first grade (6-7 y.o.) being unattended in class for short periods if the teacher needed to take a poo poo or have a smoke or whatever it was grownups did back in the 80s. I guess they don't do that anymore huh?
I fear for the western world in 15-20 years when all the kids today who are taught that the world is so dangerous they can't be left unsupervised for five minutes have grown up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We'd get left alone in class for 5-10 minutes at a time, the teacher would come back in and a bunch of people would be playing cricket :britain:, but nobody ever got hurt.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah its loving asinine. They went from "If you're going to be out of the room for a few minutes let another teacher know so they can check in" to a hard policy of "Don't ever leave your room if there is a student in there" and it makes life horrible. So we got her a small printer that hidden with a cardboard box over it because gently caress these people.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Not too sure what there is special they have to do, honestly. Windows turns off defrag and TRIM will work fine, plus they have 3-year warranties.

I can see how much disk space people use, and I'm going to set up some scripts to make sure people empty their recycle bins to keep space use down.

Also, what's the alternative? Just say "hard drives are good enough for the masses"? Nah, it's SSD all round time.

If you have a properly setup NAS setup for the company, 120gigs will be fine for most people. I have a 240 in my machine at work because I am working on a Android project, and AOSP takes up a shitload of room.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

My standard developer loadout right now is

Dell T5600 6 core Xeon, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD with 2 x 24" Dell Monitors

and

Dell E6430/E6440 laptop, i7/8 to 16GB of RAM and 320GB platter.

Honestly the equipment costs is a drop in the bucket compared to what the developers cost to employ. If I can get an extra 30 minutes of productivity out of them every week it pays for itself in no time. Not to mention they really like have nice equipment. Do we buy that kind of kit for everyone? No, but developers we're paying big bucks to, you can see a ROI pretty quick.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

We'd get left alone in class for 5-10 minutes at a time, the teacher would come back in and a bunch of people would be playing cricket :britain:, but nobody ever got hurt.

The worst that would happen to us is when the teacher came back, if you then asked for help and he had to lean over you to get to your computer, you'd choke from the cigarette stench.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Quickbooks, what in the flying gently caress in this update could possibly require a reboot?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nooo not a reboot!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go3 posted:

Quickbooks, what in the flying gently caress in this update could possibly require a reboot?

Changes to the database service. Reboot can usually be avoided if you manually restart the service.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I'm guessing it came with Windows 7 Starter, or whatever poo poo version that doesn't let you register it on the domain?

Winblows 8. Didn't check the version. Fortunately this is a personal/home laptop and not one that will ever go on our domain.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

tehloki posted:

That thing + $100 SSD + fresh windows install =~ same user experience as $1000 Lenovo, unless he'll be gaming or converting video. Or you can hit it with something like PC Decrapifier to blow away all the marketing shitware. They don't sell very many computers that actually freeze/stutter a lot out of the box because of -hardware- issues per se, anymore.

Yeah I use PCDecrapifier almost on a daily basis. Great program.

tehloki posted:

That thing + $100 SSD + fresh windows install =~ same user experience as $1000 Lenovo, unless he'll be gaming or converting video. Or you can hit it with something like PC Decrapifier to blow away all the marketing shitware. They don't sell very many computers that actually freeze/stutter a lot out of the box because of -hardware- issues per se, anymore.

Yeah you could actually be right, I may recommend this to her.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

If you have a properly setup NAS setup for the company, 120gigs will be fine for most people. I have a 240 in my machine at work because I am working on a Android project, and AOSP takes up a shitload of room.

Oh, yeah, I know how much people have used on their HDD already (thanks to Spiceworks), and I have a nice little spreadsheet so I know exactly what to expect in terms of usage.

Obviously if someone needed more that would be worked into any plan. Different organisations have vastly different requirements. Everything is of course synched to a network location anyway.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

GreenNight posted:

Not very cost effective to run Solidworks on a laptop.

Didn't stop my coworker from buying an Alienware laptop for his primary machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

You know what to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

• Locked thread