Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

LLJKSiLk posted:

By the time I build the $200-ish NUC and spend $300+ on a NAS, I may as well just build an all-in-one I guess unless I can dick with the Mediasmart.
For what it's worth, I had an N36L with a GT520 running XBMC and all my media local to it on a RAID5. It kind of rocked super hard actually aside from an occasional problem with Linux and/or XBMC's IR driver support. Alas, the N36L's poor little CPU was easily overrun by playing back media with other duties and even 6 drives weren't going to suffice beyond another couple years. So I went to the usual NAS + HTPC setup, except this time I got a Mac Mini to handle as many options as possible (and a NUC will cost the same for less return in the end). A graphics card is mandatory if you're going to play back on a NAS device partly because of acceleration reasons but also because most NASes don't have an HDMI output and if they do have VGA, they don't have audio out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
This guy here: http://froberg.me/

He put Ubuntu Server/PMS on the HP MediaSmart that I have, so I may do that and use it to serve media that way.

It has room for 3 expansion drives, so I can put up to a max of 11TB in it I believe. Not sure how easy the drop-in works with ubuntu server, but may be worth doing. I'm really not impressed with the WHSv1 I've got on there.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Just bought a Haswell i3 NUC + 4GB RAM to run OpenElec. The extra $130 for the Haswell over the Celeron NUC seemed worth it for the built in IR and extra power if needed down the line for emulated games or future CPU intensive skins.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Hopefully someone here has some input, not sure where else to post this and it's fairly HTPC-centric:

I have an overbuilt custom PC I use primarily for XBMC:
Pentium G2120/8GB RAM/Radeon 5450

I recently grabbed a 2.5" SSD rather than the old reused 3.5" SSD I had in there, primarily because the ML05B's only spot for a 3.5" blocked ventilation. Instead of throwing Windows on it, which is what I had before, I decided to try Ubuntu since all this PC does is play stuff from my NAS via XBMC and run occasional dedicated servers. However, I installed XBMC 12.3 and performance is, in general, worse than it was in Windows. I'm just using Confluence and the display stutters all the time when moving around, which didn't happen in Windows. Additionally, when playing back stuff that's supposed to be at ~59.9fps/60Hz-ish, it stutters to crap.

I don't really want to use OpenElec or XBMCBuntu because I also run a Starbound server in the background.

Summary:
1) Ubuntu 13.10 installed. XBMC 12.3 installed.
2) Proprietary binary AMD GPU driver (to get hardware acceleration)
3) Switched to Alsa audio to fix HDMI.
4) Have Vsync set to "always on" because I hate screen tearing (though disabling doesn't fix anything)
5) Have "Change display refresh rate" and "sync playback to display" enabled.
6) XBMC menus are incredibly choppy versus a 12.3 install in Windows 7.

Anyone have any ideas of where I'm going wrong? If support would be better in Linux, I could ditch the AMD GPU and go back to Intel HD Graphics since Intel HDMI issues are apparently Windows-exclusive.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

shymog posted:

5) Have "Change display refresh rate" and "sync playback to display" enabled.
Disable sync playback to display. It winds up dropping the FPS of everything artificially to anywhere between 23 fps and 30 FPS in practice at max. I did that before and had the same results as you. I don't know why they have it as an option (maybe for people on CRTs?!) but I disabled that and everything was better, including movie playback.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

necrobobsledder posted:

Disable sync playback to display. It winds up dropping the FPS of everything artificially to anywhere between 23 fps and 30 FPS in practice at max. I did that before and had the same results as you. I don't know why they have it as an option (maybe for people on CRTs?!) but I disabled that and everything was better, including movie playback.

Actually it was a problem with the Ubuntu repo binary AMD GPU driver.

For whatever reason, the menus are still clunky as crap, which makes no sense because they were fine in Win7 on a slower drive but building and installing the beta driver direct from AMD fixed all major playback problems (but I don't seem to have any hardware acceleration support, bummer).

I think I'll give XBMCbuntu or OpenElec a quick try the next time I have an afternoon free to see if the menu lag is less prevalent in "tuned" builds and then revisit getting VDPAU working with the open-source driver in Ubuntu. I mean, I don't need hardware acceleration, but it would be nice.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Newegg now has the Intel NUC with support for a 2.5" SATA drive for sale. Only the i3 at this point and it is $50 more than the regular i3 NUC so that sort of hurts the savings of not having to buy a mSATA drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102057

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It looks like the new Intel celeron NUC has launched, amazon has some but only 3rd party sellers. I will be getting one to run Openelec, should be a nice little box for $140.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Pack-DN2820FYK-NUC-BOXDN2820FYKH0/dp/B00HUYLZ7Q

If you need a 2.5" drive be sure to choose the right model > DN2820FYKH. I think the amazon one above does not have a 2.5" bay.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 22, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

kri kri posted:

It looks like the new Intel celeron NUC has launched, amazon has some but only 3rd party sellers. I will be getting one to run Openelec, should be a nice little box for $140.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Pack-DN2820FYK-NUC-BOXDN2820FYKH0/dp/B00HUYLZ7Q

If you need a 2.5" drive be sure to choose the right model > DN2820FYKH. I think the amazon one above does not have a 2.5" bay.

The product description is a little odd.

Amazon product description posted:

Product Description
Boxed NUC - Nex Ui of Compuig Ki DN2820FYK, Poesso (sodeed dow) Ie Ceeo N2820 - (Up o 2.4GHz Dua-Coe, 756MHz GFX, 7.5W TDP) Memoy ige hae SODIMM DDR3L 1066/ 1333 MHz, 1.35V - 1 SODIMM, 8GB maximum Gaphis 1 x HDMI 1.4a wih audio suppo Expadabiiy x USB 3.0 po o he fo pae - 2 x USB 2.0 pos o he bak pae - 1 x SATA daa oeo - 1 x SATA powe oeo Coeiviy 0/100/1000 Newok Coeio - Ie Wieess-N 7260BN (802.11bg, Bueooh 4.0) pe-isaed i haf-egh mii-ad so, wih 2x wieess aeas. Cooig Aive, Coo opios Sive wih Bak Top ad Diamod Cu aoud he Top Chassis desig Aumium ad Pasi. P/S12V, 36W DC-DC powe adape. 2.5" HDD/SSD Suppo. VESA mou bake ad mouig hoe suppo. Fo Pae Cosume IR widow - Bak pae headphoe/miophoe jak - Widows 8 & 8.1 Logo - Compaibe wih Liux, imied suppo fo Widows 7 - Kesigo ok suppo - Iegaio Guide - Wa-mou AC adape, w/mui-ouy pugs (IEC ype A/C/G/I)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I noticed that too, its also odd the model number is almost exact except for the H at the end. Oh well, Im waiting until amazon have it to order anyway. From the ars article they said the next few weeks they should be going out.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/intels-mini-pc-gets-less-mini-but-will-hold-more-storage/

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

r0ck0 posted:

The product description is a little odd.

How in the world does that even happen? Bad OCR? Extreme drunkenness?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

shymog posted:

How in the world does that even happen? Bad OCR? Extreme drunkenness?

Maybe its some sort of scam and they don't want the post found by an automatic keyword search? Smells a little fishy to me.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Just got my HTPC set up on Sunday and am waiting on my media storage HDD to arrive to really start loading XBMC up.

There are tons of add ins out there. I have Netflix and Amazon but don't have cable. The apps I've read about and am considering include:

Icefilms
Free Cable
Sports Devil
1channel
Project Free TV
TV links
US TV now
Navi-x

Any comments or recommendations?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Noggin Monkey posted:

Just got my HTPC set up on Sunday and am waiting on my media storage HDD to arrive to really start loading XBMC up.

There are tons of add ins out there. I have Netflix and Amazon but don't have cable. The apps I've read about and am considering include:

Icefilms
Free Cable
Sports Devil
1channel
Project Free TV
TV links
US TV now
Navi-x

Any comments or recommendations?

Most of those rely on hosted streams that break quite often. Some of the developers are shady in the "russian mp3 download site" kinda way. None of those integrate cleanly with XBMC's library, if that's a concern of yours.

Nothing beats a physical file.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

redhalo posted:

Most of those rely on hosted streams that break quite often. Some of the developers are shady in the "russian mp3 download site" kinda way. None of those integrate cleanly with XBMC's library, if that's a concern of yours.

You can put streams in the library using .strm files. It's what the Hulu add-on does.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

You can put streams in the library using .strm files. It's what the Hulu add-on does.

I'm aware of Hulu's export, which of the other apps have an export strm function? Or are you manually editing streams or using My.Library? 'Cause both of those options are cumbersome.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

redhalo posted:

I'm aware of Hulu's export, which of the other apps have an export strm function? Or are you manually editing streams or using My.Library? 'Cause both of those options are cumbersome.

Well, I'm the sort of person who'd just fork the add-on (and send a pull request if possible) if it didn't have the feature. But I use local files since they're more reliable.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

redhalo posted:

Nothing beats a physical file.

I definitely agree. My lady likes the convenience of streaming sites, maybe it's time to dust off the ole' torrent client.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It may be hosted files that break, but theres so much stuff that if even 20 percent of it works, it's still a lot. Free cable is all things from actual cable channel websites, so it always works. Also id recommend downloading an app named AceStream. The best streams on Sportsdevil are those, which requires that program.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Free cable is all things from actual cable channel websites, so it always works.

Free Cable breaks too. They're stream links from the networks sites, the networks try like crazy to make it only viewable from their sites.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Noggin Monkey posted:

dust off the ole' torrent client.

Nope, time to get into usenet.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

kri kri posted:

Nope, time to get into usenet.

Yup, or a good private tracker.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Remote talk for a HTPC newb. Was building a new PC and hoping to change the old into an HTPC. I obviously have lots of reading to do still as I don't know all the what it's and such but were convinced we don't want a traditional mouse/keyboard and want a smaller all in one(non trackball) remote.

I don't have any idea on what interface I plan to use but know well mostly be streaming Netflix Hulu and downloads, some music, little web browsing and probably no games.

I've looked at the VisionTek Candyboard on newegg and Rii Mini remote which are both similiar. Any reliable product suggestions. Were open to non-trackball layouts and just want something that reliably works. If this is all answered in the htpc sites directly just yell and tell me to get back to readin'.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have the RF (non Bluetooth) Rii Mini. Range is terrible. 10 feet uninstructed from couch to TV and I have to hold the KB up in the air and hit every key several times before it registers.

Maybe the Bluetooth one works better range-wise, but I still wouldn't want to use it for anything more the minor XBMC navigation. Even typing short URLs would be frustrating due to the tiny keys and postage stamp trackpad.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 24, 2014

redhalo
May 19, 2009

I used to have a Rii Mini and it did the job just barely, had poor range got blocked often. I now use a Logitech Harmony 650 and love it. If I need a keyboard and trackpad I have a some Logitech wireless combo as well.

redhalo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 24, 2014

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I think this is obvious to a lot of people but it wasn't to me, but if your components are in a closed cabinet with some thick border around the edges, you will probably want to either invest in an IR repeater (selling mine for $15 barely used if you're interested) or one of the newer Logitech Harmony remotes that are RF-based like the Smart Control or Ultimate (probably overkill for almost everyone here).

In the interest of cost savings, I went through a bunch of remotes before settling with the Smart Control and it's the first time things have worked pretty bulletproof for my setup finally on the hardware UX front. It's more effective to get a Smart Control than to buy, say, a Harmony 650 + IR repeater that works via RF w/ a special battery because it's just that much better. Maybe I just sucked with it or whatever, but the Smart Control is a great value considering I can use an old phone or iPod to be a remote now too.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've been thinking of upgrading my PC finally, and I kind of want to try to roll the parts I have into a budget HTPC/NAS build at the same time. It currently runs a Core 2 Duo E8400 with four gigs of RAM. I figure if I all I have to buy is a micro ATX board and a suitable case I could do this for pretty cheap.

I was thinking this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157338 and this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108065

Only issue is, if I can't stuff a graphics card in there, I won't have HDMI out. I'm guessing I'm pretty much SOL unless I go with a larger case to fit a video card in, or use a modern processor and motherboard?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At this point I would say just spend the 200-300 to get an AD-10 or one of these Intel systems people are talking about. I built a system and I'm just so tired with how noisy it is because of the fans. I did make it a bit more powerful as I wanted to game on it. But now that Steam is doing a streaming thing, it's completely useless to have a powerful system at the TV, humming over what you're trying to watch.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Hm. Maybe I'll just throw together a dedicated NAS then, and use Plex straight from the TV or a Rasberry Pi with XBMC.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Hm. Maybe I'll just throw together a dedicated NAS then, and use Plex straight from the TV or a Rasberry Pi with XBMC.

That or the new intel NUC celeron is like $135. I wouldn't recommend Plex unless the NAS is high end, or a regular computer.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Any news on those new NUCs?

Also, can you run, say, Win7 from a thumb drives on one of those things?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What news do you want? From glancing around some forums it looks like they are having some major issues getting Windows 7 running, but should be done soon according to intel. Also openelenc suspend is broken and I don't think it can run headless without an hdmi cable plugged in yet.

There is a decent enough thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=181804

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It's available? A cursory search yeilded no buying results.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yes.

http://liliputing.com/2014/01/intels-first-bay-trail-powered-mini-pc-launches-for-about-140.html

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ed=0CIIEEJ8uMAE

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I knew about the suspiciously worded Amazon listings posted a page ago and thought there might be new ones.

And you said windows is not working yet? My usage would be with windows, so I gotta see what I do.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Windows 7 does not work yet, Windows 8 should work fine.

People have been ordering from that provantage place if you want one.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm disappointed to see that the new NUC is a BayTrail Celeron and not IvyBridge or Haswell. Should I be? Haven't compared benchmarks, yet.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'd like to see some benchmarks on the i3 version. I thought about the Celeron version but I think I might could use the extra power down the road. I've got a 2.5in drive laying around so I'm waiting on the new one to release at the end of February.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

goku chewbacca posted:

I'm disappointed to see that the new NUC is a BayTrail Celeron and not IvyBridge or Haswell. Should I be? Haven't compared benchmarks, yet.

Don't they have a Haswell one?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/76975,76976,78953,76977,76978

I think they're in the middle of releasing/updating so not all their info and specs match between pages.

I'm definitely planning on getting a bay trail one for an HTPC. I was hoping for a quad core, but it looks like only dual core is shown at the moment. Should that be a concern, or would it just be wasted anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
If you look at the remarks on the earlier linked xbmc post (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=181804) you'll see towards the end the guys got it working and most stuff was playing at ~15% CPU or so. I'm just curious what the guys had to do to get openelec installed as earlier it appeared people were having problems with it.