Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Caufman posted:

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's not like you put her in the oubliette or tortured her to death.

Or had her murdered after murdering her father and marrying her mother, and then murdering all of her mother's siblings and their children, all so that the daughter who you had with her mother will inherit her grandfather's titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SeaTard posted:

You get your money from winning sieges, both from raiding and good old fashion conquering. It's a lot easier as a Norse, because you can go raid Ireland and then go conquer it, doubling up on ducats. As Poland, your starting neighbors are stronger and less wealthy, so it's a lot harder. Give it a try as someone like Jorvik, and you'll probably find it easier.

You can also raid Ireland as Poland, you just need boats. Just create a merchant republic and you are set with boats. Or go conquer some high boat-tech provinces in Scandinavia.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Tulip posted:

Take some cav, you want more pursuit.

I like full shock retinue (or even better housecarl or druzhina, I think Lithuania gets HI culture retinue as well, but I'm not sure) for actual fights. It's near unkillable with proper culture leaders while cavalry is more expensive and fragile.

rvm fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 29, 2014

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
So I started a Byzantium game, restored the schism, refounded the Roman Empire, and got to work on blobbing out towards the old borders again for the SPQR achievement. I finally manage to conquer everything, but nothing pops up. I threw out the Order of the Holy Sepulcher via decisions, but it didn't get rid of them all. I found the ast few holdings they had and took them over by force, still nothing. There's probably some barony of city somewhere that's still in foreign hands. So I went into NK mode and revoked EVERYTHING, and now I have an obscene amount of holdings, everyone hates me (though my ruler died just before finishing revoking everything, so my new one doesn't seem to have too much of a 'tyrant' penalty, hooray!), yet still no achievement.

This is starting to get really annoying. How can I find out what's holding me back? There's no reconquest CB's anymore and I don't feel like clicking every single province again to see if maybe one of them's full of foreigners. And somewhere along the line I became German, so no more Cataphracts until I can re-culture my heir. Urgh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You can only get achievements in Ironman mode with no mods and a non-custom ruler.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can only get achievements in Ironman mode with no mods and a non-custom ruler.

Yes. I know. And I have already gotten achievements in this specific game. I've found a thread on the Paradox boards asking this same question and they didn't have an answer either, so I'm asking it here, now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Preview of Raja's of India which is pretty informative
http://www.pcgamesn.com/crusader-kings-ii-rajas-india-preview-eastward-bound

Almost 400 new provinces. The map expansion will be free for all, you just won't be able to play the new rulers. An African expansion was planned but ultimately folded into this as part of the free dlc to give african rulers more "character". Decadence has been "tweaked".

Steam Workshop integration and Steam Multiplayer is being added to bring it more in line with Europa Universalis IV (Awesome)

You can convert freely to other religions now once in your character's life. It sounds like you have to have land in that territory which makes sense, I do like the idea of weird fringe cases of your ruler going to a distant land and converting after an epiphany.

I don't know enough about Indian history to be all :paradox: but this seemed odd:

quote:

Changing religion is apparently a doddle. Rulers may switch religion freely at least once in their life, giving players a chance to experience the new religions more easily and explore the mechanical benefits and specific abilities of each faith. Conquerors from other lands, like nearby Persia or even distant Europe, can convert to the Indian faiths as well. But if you were to make your Norwegian king convert to Hinduism, you’d start as an untouchable and not be well-liked. Working up to the warrior caste would be a necessity.
I thought the point of caste systems was you couldnt work your way out of them? Not easily anyway.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 29, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

rvm posted:

I like full shock retinue (or even better housecarl or druzhina, I think Lithuania gets HI culture retinue as well, but I'm not sure) for actual fights. It's near unkillable with proper culture leaders while cavalry is more expensive and fragile.

Lithuania(and Letigalia and Prussia and so on) gets Baltic, which is identical to Druzhina (Irish get Gallowglass and the Jewish groups get Bar Kochba, which are also identical). It's actually pretty loving common. The best for straight-up winning battles AFAIK is either a weird mixed stack of Longbow/Skirmish (it's actually not a big difference) retinues with a bunch of Defensive retinue to prevent the "Charge on Undefended Flank" from popping, or 100% Schiltrons with a Scottish commander because jesus christ Schiltrons. But it's still a good idea to get some cavalry in there, it loving sucks to try to get the warscore to end wars and rebellions quickly pingponging stacks around and doing no damage during pursuit. Buying cav rets for the HC is kind of a mug's game, you want the LC for their skirmish/pursuit power.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Steam Workshop integration and Steam Multiplayer is being added to bring it more in line with Europa Universalis IV (Awesome)

You can convert freely to other religions now once in your character's life. It sounds like you have to have land in that territory which makes sense, I do like the idea of weird fringe cases of your ruler going to a distant land and converting after an epiphany.

I don't know enough about Indian history to be all :paradox: but this seemed odd:

I thought the point of caste systems was you couldnt work your way out of them? Not easily anyway.

Oh my god thank christ for a MP fix, it's currently the buggiest game, most crash-tastic game i play in MP.

Caste is...not what you really expect it to be, historically. My knowledge of Europe in this period makes me think that the "laboratores, bellatores, orates" division might be the closest sensible analogue? At least in Nepal (what i specialize in), 'caste' became much more rigid in 1854 and our anthropology from before then shows it to be pretty fluid.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I'm about to finish a game for the first time ever and I had a couple of questions: first of all, when is the EUIV start date? I know that using the converter will automatically start the exported file on that date, I just want to have a solid stopping point. Second, when I do convert this game there's a couple of counties I'd like to see go independent for the sake of weird borders. What's the best way to deal with that through console commands?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Jolan posted:

This is starting to get really annoying. How can I find out what's holding me back? There's no reconquest CB's anymore and I don't feel like clicking every single province again to see if maybe one of them's full of foreigners. And somewhere along the line I became German, so no more Cataphracts until I can re-culture my heir. Urgh.

Your options are:

A) Zoom really close to the map and check for any shields that mark an independent barony
B) Go through the all baron-rank independent realms via the ledger.

Inside Outside posted:

I'm about to finish a game for the first time ever and I had a couple of questions: first of all, when is the EUIV start date? I know that using the converter will automatically start the exported file on that date, I just want to have a solid stopping point. Second, when I do convert this game there's a couple of counties I'd like to see go independent for the sake of weird borders. What's the best way to deal with that through console commands?

1444, and I figure you'd give them a title equal or higher to their liege's, then transfer that title to some unlanded, heirless unlucky random person, then console kill them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

marktheando posted:

Yeah but won't you be more advanced in EU4 if you play CK2 to the bitter end, upgrading all your poo poo?

I mainly wanted to see if universities carried over, but I didn't have the patience to make it to the end in CK2. And my tier 2 universities didn't carry over. I still started with three for some reason though so OP Germany go. I cannot imagine how ridiculous things would be if I made it to the end of CK2.

quote:

Second, when I do convert this game there's a couple of counties I'd like to see go independent for the sake of weird borders. What's the best way to deal with that through console commands?

You can also deal with this by using Charinfo 1 and then play [charid] to play as their Liege, transfer the vassalage to yourself, play back to your character and grant them independence.

(Of course when I did that, those provinces had rebellions and joined me so :v:

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 29, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tulip posted:

Caste is...not what you really expect it to be, historically. My knowledge of Europe in this period makes me think that the "laboratores, bellatores, orates" division might be the closest sensible analogue? At least in Nepal (what i specialize in), 'caste' became much more rigid in 1854 and our anthropology from before then shows it to be pretty fluid.

Yeah I decided to read up on it more after that. It was definitely more fluid and British colonialism is blamed for making it so strict.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

It would involve a few steps. You would give the county to one of the mayors. He would create a vassal baron for Blachernae. Now you could revoke the county, and give it to the owner of Constantinople. This would have made Constantinople the primary barony again.

Nice thing about editing the save file is you don't have to put up with whiny vassals :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can you offer vassalization to a prisoner? Like, if I invite some Duke's third youngest son to my court, throw him in jail, and then stab everybody until my prisoner kid is the new Duke, can I force him to accept vassalization since he's my prisoner? Has anyone ever tried?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tulip posted:

Would a ruler who converted to hinduism from antoher faith need to move up through ranks like that, though? I'd have thought that being a ruler, the ruler would automatically be in at least the caste of warriors and administrators.

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013

Tulip posted:

But seriously nobody knows the morale loss formula with any precision?

Here's my 1002 screenshot, early in the reign of Kordil the Great, before he was "the Great" and was just a dude who had inherited a much diminished Lithuania (Ruthenia got split off, i only subjugated them because they were momentarily weak after years of being threateningly more powerful than me). The biggest threats are all to the southwest, and internal - Silesia, Greater Poland, and Prussia each are nearly a quarter the size of their liege in power, and can start some pretty loving strong factions.

Here's my most recent one, from the save i just loaded, almost exactly 100 years later (and less than 20 years after leaving behind Gavelkind, which i might go back to because other succession systems are for quitters:c00lbutt:). At this point there's basically no threat to the Empire - the subkingdoms are all too busy fighting each other to form factions, and Catholic Europe is basically in a death spiral. The First Crusade ever was called against the Wendish empire and was broken so badly that i looted Rome for fun before anybody joined the Pope(and before a single battle was fought) and i think lasted under a year. The Byzantines are near equals in power, but their incessant civil wars and Sunni Islam's continuous rise keep them in check.

Oh and i just want to post my direct vassals to nauseate the Pretty Borders Brigrade

Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Reveilled posted:

Would a ruler who converted to hinduism from antoher faith need to move up through ranks like that, though? I'd have thought that being a ruler, the ruler would automatically be in at least the caste of warriors and administrators.

Caste could be by inheritable traits like sayyid. So that converts to hinduism and to indian cultures don't have them.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Can you offer vassalization to a prisoner? Like, if I invite some Duke's third youngest son to my court, throw him in jail, and then stab everybody until my prisoner kid is the new Duke, can I force him to accept vassalization since he's my prisoner? Has anyone ever tried?

Nope! "Not a prisoner" is one of the conditions for almost all diplomatic actions that you can use on other rulers.

e: clarity

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 29, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Sadly, no. What you can do however, is invite him to your court, matri-marry him to one of your relatives, and then once he has an heir stab him into power. Once his kids inherit, you will at least have your dynasty on the throne.

To have Dukes accept your offer of vassalisation usually requires either being an Emperor and bordering them, or being their De Jure King.

edit: Just read that article linked above, :siren: borderless window mode is supported :siren:

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 29, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, I know about marrying 'em, but I've been having real fertility issues the last few generations and just don't have that many family members around court.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I know about marrying 'em, but I've been having real fertility issues the last few generations and just don't have that many family members around court.

One way to "increase" fertility is to use the console to convert family members to Islam and get them a bunch of wives with good attributes. You don't pay a decadence penalty this way either so it's the best of both worlds.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Land some random distant relatives. Fertility and family size are both capped if you're unlanded.

You can't control their upbringing, sure, but you can invite their kids back to your court, eventually, plus their second and third sons will still count as being in your realm for the purposes of granting them titles.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Jolan posted:

Check Independent States on the ledger.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Reveilled posted:

Disco Infiva posted:

Caste could be by inheritable traits like sayyid. So that converts to hinduism and to indian cultures don't have them.

The strains of Hinduism that take caste seriously tend to think that there's no such thing as "converting to Hinduism," and the ones that do take converts tend to think that caste isn't very important. So that heritable idea sounds somewhat reasonable. For what they're doing mechanically it sounds like it would be a "new convert" diplomacy malus that would function like "short reign," and frankly just calling it "new convert" is less weird.

Nobody talks about what caste George Harrison was, for example.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Land some random distant relatives. Fertility and family size are both capped if you're unlanded.

You can't control their upbringing, sure, but you can invite their kids back to your court, eventually, plus their second and third sons will still count as being in your realm for the purposes of granting them titles.

I'm told this is risky, but making a distant kinsman the head of a vassal republic gave me a regular flow of claimless, sometimes talented relatives. The risk comes from the patrician elective; it might interfere with succession in odd, unpredictable, unwanted ways.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
How can I get my heir to come to my court so I can marry him off?

His father was a baron (of a church, and I'm Slavic, so he isn't the heir to it), but I was able to educate him. Now he's grown up, his father is dead, he's still at the court and won't come over. What can I do?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Do Galleys have any actual utility, considering there are no naval battles in the game?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DStecks posted:

Do Galleys have any actual utility, considering there are no naval battles in the game?

All they're used for is transporting soldiers across water.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

alcaras posted:

How can I get my heir to come to my court so I can marry him off?

His father was a baron (of a church, and I'm Slavic, so he isn't the heir to it), but I was able to educate him. Now he's grown up, his father is dead, he's still at the court and won't come over. What can I do?
Do you have anyone else with a claim to that church? You could always declare war just to clear the court.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

CapnAndy posted:

Do you have anyone else with a claim to that church? You could always declare war just to clear the court.

It's a vassal church.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

alcaras posted:

It's a vassal church.
...give that guy independence and then de jure war him?

I'm sorta surprised your heir won't come back to your court from a vassal court, though. Does he hate you? You could try bribing him.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Shouldn't Rome have the Aurelian Walls as a special max upgraded wall much like Constantinople's Theodosian Walls? I've been learning about Aurelian recently and it crossed my mind and I decided to check ingame and it's just normal church walls.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mustang posted:

Shouldn't Rome have the Aurelian Walls as a special max upgraded wall much like Constantinople's Theodosian Walls? I've been learning about Aurelian recently and it crossed my mind and I decided to check ingame and it's just normal church walls.

It would make sense, considering the top level holding is always that church.

I am kinda sad that there is no way to chose to build special buildings and / or monuments. It would be a good money sink and add a little flavor if people wanted to give their capital extra special walls, build a huge church, make a major improvement to a city's harbor, or whatever.

Tulip posted:

Lithuania(and Letigalia and Prussia and so on) gets Baltic, which is identical to Druzhina (Irish get Gallowglass and the Jewish groups get Bar Kochba, which are also identical). It's actually pretty loving common. The best for straight-up winning battles AFAIK is either a weird mixed stack of Longbow/Skirmish (it's actually not a big difference) retinues with a bunch of Defensive retinue to prevent the "Charge on Undefended Flank" from popping, or 100% Schiltrons with a Scottish commander because jesus christ Schiltrons. But it's still a good idea to get some cavalry in there, it loving sucks to try to get the warscore to end wars and rebellions quickly pingponging stacks around and doing no damage during pursuit. Buying cav rets for the HC is kind of a mug's game, you want the LC for their skirmish/pursuit power.

Yeah I was leaning Cav because I have plenty of room right now and a good ratio of HI, Archers, and some Pikemen (because I expect to be fighting the Mongols or some sort of Cav empire/invader at some point). I can always add more HI and Archers later.

edit: \/\/\/\/ that would be really nifty, too. That is something that has bothered me for a while.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 29, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else think that there need to be smaller bands of mercenaries? Starting as a two-county Scottish king, I can spend the vast sum of 75 gold, which will mean I end up losing two gold a month as well, but I get 1500 men for it, which dwarfs my regular military.

Perhaps you should be able to hire mercenaries based on a slider, or simply make it a tickbox next to the mobilisation buttons.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

CapnAndy posted:

...give that guy independence and then de jure war him?

I'm sorta surprised your heir won't come back to your court from a vassal court, though. Does he hate you? You could try bribing him.

He's a vassal of a vassal of a vassal. I don't think I can grant him independence.

My heir is at +100. I'll post a screenshot once I get home.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mickey McKey posted:

It would make sense, considering the top level holding is always that church.

I am kinda sad that there is no way to chose to build special buildings and / or monuments. It would be a good money sink and add a little flavor if people wanted to give their capital extra special walls, build a huge church, make a major improvement to a city's harbor, or whatever.

Yeah, or at least something like the Republic personal palace thing. Anything to add some more flavor and make it a bit more 'personal'. Would be sweet.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah that would definitely be cool. Once I get a decent sized empire going I don't really pay attention to my demesne all that much because my retinue can handle most problems. And if I need help I can just call on a nearby vassals levies rather than march my own personal levy all the way over.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I finally finished a game! This is Carpathia in 1444:

The funny thing is that I never actually intended to be an empire at all, let alone such a large one. I started off as the duke of Croatia in 866 and worked my way up to being king of Croatia. At the time my two biggest threats were the Byzantines using de jure claims against me and Tengrist Hungary holy warring me from the north. I can't even remember how it ended up happening, but eventually someone completely smashed Hungary's levies, so I figured I'd nab some land with a holy war of my own. They never really recovered, so eventually I ended up with the custom named Kingdom of Croatia-Hungary. By then Bulgaria had imploded while the Byzantines and I both took whatever we could from them. This snowballed over the next few centuries until I somehow ended up with Bulgaria, Wallachia, and Serbia. That's when I founded the Empire. Anyway, some stray observations:

-The Knights Hospitalier took Egypt and spread across North Africa. That's Scotland holding Cairo. It's their capital.

-Mali was under the control of the Teutonic Knights for almost a hundred until Mande Christians took it back and formed their own kingdom. Now they control all the land surrounding Jerusalem.

-Mauretania was originally Andalusia after I won it in a crusade against the Umayyads and handed it off to a family member whom I granted independence. Its long since passed out of my family, now being ruled by white Catholics of Bedouin culture. I ended up with the Strait of Gibraltar somehow. The independent Kingdom of Anatolia in the middle of the Byzantines was formed the same way.

-I also have random titles in France, Mali, and the Holy Land. My heir was also married to a Swedish duchess, so there's a good chance I would have ended up with some land up there too.

-Aquitaine ceased to exist for most of the 14th century before sneaking back in. In the last five years of the game their king ended up inheriting Navarra.

-The Golden Horde converted to Catholicism after I repelled their invasion of Crimea. For a little while there was a Mongol Cardinal in Iberian France.

-The rest of the hordes weren't very successful. The Ilkhanate disappeared within about a decade, the Timurids had some initial success and then were crushed by Arabia, and I don't even remember the Seljuks beyond the popup announcing their arrival.

-England never really got going. The main players on the British Isles were Ireland and Scotland, who inherited Wales just a few years before the end date. France controls some territory up there too, including Middlesex.

-Italy was the very last addition to my empire and I got it by accident. I managed to get my cousin on the throne, but when she was later deposed I declared war to reinstall her, not releasing that she would become my vassal afterwards. I'm converting the game into EUIV, I think I might just release Italy as a vassal since I never wanted them in the first place, but on the hand I kinda like my borders with Italy.

Edit: Looking at that map, I'm now slightly annoyed that the Danube isn't entirely under my control just because. Crusader Kings, man.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 29, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mustang posted:

Nah they'd been razed hundreds of years before the Old Gods start, and they weren't even that incredible to begin with. Just a haphazard attempt at ringing the largest city in the world, often using already existing buildings and built in a not-prosperous period. The Theodosian walls were much more significant. Rome was unrazed for a millenium 'cause of the strength of their empire, not 'cause the city its self was ridiculously defensible like Constantinople.

More unique buildings would be cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Torrannor posted:

If your ruler's martial score is below 10 you will get a penalty to your personal levies. If you have 0 martial you will get a 50% penalty, meaning you will only be able to raise 400 of your 800 men.

Thanks, this was the cause. Incapacitation is brutal when you're trying to overthrow your emperor

• Locked thread