Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there any rumors of more DLC? I'd hate for the game to sit there untouched until I felt I wanted to replay it from the start again. I have done everything I could bother doing.

Still can't gold the last MOM or deathmatch events. MOM its just i keep screwing up just enough to fail, but the Deathmatch, something always screws up in the final stage against Julius. Like once he clipped through the floor and I couldn't hit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Try shunting everything down to a lower difficulty, those make the Gold thresholds easier to get and don't affect challenges or achievements anyway.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Talorat posted:

So I finally got this game on sale and started playing it. I logged 8 hours in one day. Holy gently caress. Why did I wait to purchase this game.

The free weekend made me play it so much I developed RSI in my arm and can't play it anymore. :negative: I ended up buying the game from the sale.

Saints Row IV: Hazardous to your health.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Is there any rumors of more DLC? I'd hate for the game to sit there untouched until I felt I wanted to replay it from the start again. I have done everything I could bother doing.

Still can't gold the last MOM or deathmatch events. MOM its just i keep screwing up just enough to fail, but the Deathmatch, something always screws up in the final stage against Julius. Like once he clipped through the floor and I couldn't hit him.

Dane Vogel's VA was recording some Saints Row stuff a while ago. It makes me hope they'll add one last DLC with lots of characters from previous games as homies as a send off to the series so far.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

closeted republican posted:

Dane Vogel's VA was recording some Saints Row stuff a while ago. It makes me hope they'll add one last DLC with lots of characters from previous games as homies as a send off to the series so far.

As cool as that would be, chances are pretty high that we'll instead be getting a third story DLC focused around Dane Vogel. Who's basically the most important Saint's Row character that isn't already in the game, a title he wins by a lot.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I got an update through Steam just now that "added support for future DLC."

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The patch that rolled out about an hour ago specifically said that it was to support future DLC (amongst other things)

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
At only 169MB I get the feeling that this future DLC doesn't include missions. :(

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

At only 169MB I get the feeling that this future DLC doesn't include missions. :(

It's most likely a compatibility patch and not the DLC itself.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Both SR3 and SR4 have always done "DLC in the patch, and what you buy is an unlocker". Probably has something to do with how co-op works.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Both SR3 and SR4 have always done "DLC in the patch, and what you buy is an unlocker". Probably has something to do with how co-op works.

Yeah but any mission DLC on par with the last two we had is probably nowhere near done yet. As I recall they pushed out the DLC patches just a few days ahead of launch.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Whelp I just finished it. That game was a better mass effect game than mass effect was.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Press X for romance.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

SynthOrange posted:

Press X for romance.

Indeed, the romances are better realized and written than in any Bioware game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
CID Romance or bust. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just finished the base game (haven't gotten the mission DLC yet) and I can't think of the last time I just had so much sheer fun playing a video game. Volition did an amazing job, and fixed so much of what I found flawed about SR3 while improving on what it got right. I'm so happy this game got made and that Volition weren't dragged down with THQ.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

closeted republican posted:

CID Romance or bust. :colbert:

You need me to ravage you.

:raise:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I always think that one of the hardest things a game can do is just give you sheer giddy fun. You can make amazing design decisions, make beautiful and deeply meaningful games, but still end up with a game that just isn't fun to play. Volition nailed fun with this game.

(Not saying of course that game has to be fun to be good, one of my favorite games of this year, Papers please, is absolutely no fun at all)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Anyone cracked open the new files included in the latest patch to see what the new DLC will be? I'm hoping it's more homies.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, Volition knows how to make a fun game. No matter which Saint's Row game I fire up, I always have a blast. I'm glad they were able to abandon the sinking ship that was THQ in time. We need more developers like Volition.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

There has been a thing on the front page of Xbox Live that says Saints Row Sports for two days now and no actual Saints Row Sports to download. :mad:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Finally getting around to playing through these games after picking up The Third and IV in the winter steam sale. I was wondering what male voice people prefer/would recommend using to get the most out of playing both games? I picked the african-american voice because I thought it suited my Boss but it's felt like a pretty bland performance so far, about 30% into The Third. Just wondering if people who have done multiple playthroughs have a preference. Thanks!

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 29, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Finally getting around to playing through these games after picking up The Third and IV in the winter steam sale. I was wondering what male voice people prefer/would recommend using to get the most out of playing both games? I picked the african-american voice because I thought it suited my Boss but it's felt like a pretty bland performance so far, about 30% into The Third. Just wondering if people who have done multiple playthroughs have a preference. Thanks!

Brit-boss tends to be a favorite. On the other hand, default white guy is Troy Baker, who has excellent comic timing.

And if you were willing to try out the other side of the equation, Russian boss in 3 is a hoot and a half, while BaileyBoss was considered the canon choice by the dev team in 4.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

chiasaur11 posted:

Brit-boss tends to be a favorite. On the other hand, default white guy is Troy Baker, who has excellent comic timing.

And if you were willing to try out the other side of the equation, Russian boss in 3 is a hoot and a half, while BaileyBoss was considered the canon choice by the dev team in 4.

I thought Troy Baker was Brit Boss?

I went with the Nolan North voice for 4, but the gimmick is kind of underused. I went with Male 1 for 3 & 4 for my default playthrough, but ended up really liking Brit Boss. Male 2 in this game has some of the better reaction lines I think, but Male 1 is just who my boss is.

Didn't play with the female voices very much in either game, but the French accent for 3 is the best possible option.

codenameFANGIO posted:

There has been a thing on the front page of Xbox Live that says Saints Row Sports for two days now and no actual Saints Row Sports to download. :mad:

I saw this too. Didn't see anything yesterday for sports, but I did see that they made a prehistoric pack, with two clubs, two loin cloths and something resembling the Flintstones car.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I thought Troy Baker was Brit Boss?

I went with the Nolan North voice for 4, but the gimmick is kind of underused. I went with Male 1 for 3 & 4 for my default playthrough, but ended up really liking Brit Boss. Male 2 in this game has some of the better reaction lines I think, but Male 1 is just who my boss is.

Didn't play with the female voices very much in either game, but the French accent for 3 is the best possible option.

Troy Baker is Male 1. Robin Atkin Downes is BritBoss in 3 and 4.

And 3 doesn't have French. Just Russian, Hispanic, and Laura Bailey.

Only BaileyBoss returns for 4.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Tender Bender posted:

Female Voice 1, for sure. She just has so MUCH FUN with the role.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Cockney (Brit) Boss hands down. Everything he says is hysterical and he has perfect delivery.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I feel in love with Troy Baker's voice the moment he said "Murdertime Funtime!" in SR3.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
trip report:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I've been playing SR since the first one and it's been my favorite game ever. I loving hated 3 and I didn't know why, I didn't find it memorable, didn't do a replay despite doing tons for previous games. SR was dead to me (maybe not so emotional but I was done with the series).

So then they had this game for free at the library so I was like "eh never would pay for it but what the hell". Then I found out that they brought back Gat and then I realized that the reason I hated 3 was because they killed him off in like the first 20 minutes (OK also the gameplay in 4 was awesome). He's been there the whole series as the main guy, the gently caress? Then I read about it and it was because "they wanted you to hate the morningstar" or something. That's not how you make an enemy, by killing off the most important dude. You make an enemy like Zinyak who is just some evil dude who blows up the planet.

Guhhhh anyways I just finished the game and I had to rant about it. Also Gat is awesome and I am happy now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I definitely go with the Brit voice for my male Boss every time, and I'm using the French for my current run through with a female Boss, and I'm really digging it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I've been playing SR since the first one and it's been my favorite game ever. I loving hated 3 and I didn't know why, I didn't find it memorable, didn't do a replay despite doing tons for previous games. SR was dead to me (maybe not so emotional but I was done with the series).

So then they had this game for free at the library so I was like "eh never would pay for it but what the hell". Then I found out that they brought back Gat and then I realized that the reason I hated 3 was because they killed him off in like the first 20 minutes (OK also the gameplay in 4 was awesome). He's been there the whole series as the main guy, the gently caress? Then I read about it and it was because "they wanted you to hate the morningstar" or something. That's not how you make an enemy, by killing off the most important dude. You make an enemy like Zinyak who is just some evil dude who blows up the planet.

Guhhhh anyways I just finished the game and I had to rant about it. Also Gat is awesome and I am happy now.

I thought it was because Gat's actor was contractually tied to something else and they basically had to cut him from the game and for some reason make Shaundi replace him.

Also I like male and female boss 1 and brit boss the most.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would be fine with killing off Gat if they did ANYTHING with it whatsoever. I guess you're supposed to hate Loren for it, but then he's squashed by a ball or something in the first hour of the game.

Saints Row 3 doesn't have a bad plot - it doesn't HAVE a plot.

There's some interesting stuff on the edges with the characters (always the strongest part of any Row game), but the story itself is an incredible clusterfuck.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kokoro Wish posted:

I thought it was because Gat's actor was contractually tied to something else and they basically had to cut him from the game and for some reason make Shaundi replace him.

Volition's said that wasn't the case, but they did plan Gat to have a much more suitable death scene (that THQ nixed due to it being too dark.)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Volition's said that wasn't the case, but they did plan Gat to have a much more suitable death scene (that THQ nixed due to it being too dark.)

Saints Row 3 was meant to be a lot darker before THQ started changing things. IIRC, one of the proposed beginnings for SR3 was that Killbane would nuke Stillwater during a Saints Row convention. It explains why you have no access to all the weapons, cars, and money you got in SR2, despite it being nearby.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There's some characters who get introduced in SR3 who don't really go anywhere. Viola, Angel, and even Zimos don't really do anything once their parts in the story are finished. I'm glad they managed to do something interesting with Matt in 4 even though he's hogging the same space as Kinzie. I don't really care for Zimos either way, but the way he returns in 4 is pretty funny.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm glad they managed to do something interesting with Matt in 4 even though he's hogging the same space as Kinzie.

I am honestly surprised they went with Matt instead of Donnie, but we're lucky someone on the writing team saw the potential in Matt as a character because his parts are great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Matt certainly feels like a different character. Everyone else is like a hardened criminal killer, while Matt is some dorky kid who likes to hack and have an army of cosplayers at his call.

Also Matt and Perice broing out in EtD was awesome.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't really care for Zimos either way, but the way he returns in 4 is pretty funny.
Wait Zimos comes back in 4? How what when?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Talorat posted:

Wait Zimos comes back in 4? How what when?!

Enter the Domnatrix DLC has him pop up.

• Locked thread