Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Mr. Fowl posted:

Cheap isn't always bad:

Yes, but what is the plastic rectangle for?

wood supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

Cheap isn't always bad:

I've used that as my plastic board for 6 years, it's held up very well..

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

rockcity posted:

I've used that as my plastic board for 6 years, it's held up very well..
I prefer getting one that has a juice canal on one side and no canal on the other and using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Fido-Gaskets-Bag/dp/B0001BMYIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389454995&sr=8-1&keywords=gasket

as portable cutting board legs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

No Wave posted:

I prefer getting one that has a juice canal on one side and no canal on the other and using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Fido-Gaskets-Bag/dp/B0001BMYIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389454995&sr=8-1&keywords=gasket

as portable cutting board legs.

That one has the canal on one side, or at least the one I have does.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can throw a kitchen towel under a cutting board to stop it from slipping around and later you can use it to clean up.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Better than a kitchen towel is a flat silicone hot pad or jar opener.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I started using my gyuto a bit more since my other knife desperately needs sharpening. At first I was put off by the lighter weight, but now I am coming to greatly appreciate how nimbly I can handle it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
When I'm looking around on CKTG, is there an obvious way to tell which knives are lefty-friendly? I'm awful at right-handedness and I understand some have handles and blades that are specifically oriented.

Goon
Apr 22, 2006
Most knives on there are 50/50. Some of them do have wa handles that are meant for a righty, but can be used quite comfortably by a lefty. If the edge is ground for a specific handedness, it will say in the description.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I've previously been using a terrible set of knives that were basically hand-me-downs or store bought for less than £40 for a block.

I'm by no means an expert chef (poo poo, my chopping technique is still probably best described as slightly better than terrible) but my girlfried bought me one of these knives for Christmas.

The knife is great but suspect that is more due to me not ever having used anything much sharper than blunt piece of rubbish before. The back of the box for the knife recommends using this sharpener (no doubt because it's made by the same company), wondering if anyone has used these knives or this sharpener before?

Based on my experiences with the first knife, I might expand into the set once I'm a bit more flush.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
For people dealing with slipping cutting boards - these exist. Obviously, they'll only work with boards on the thin side but they also allow you to use both sides.

(http://www.amazon.com/Dreamfarm-Cho...+Board+Nonstick)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finally took the plunge and sharpened all the kitchen knives I use. I've had the sharpening stones for a year or so, but never got around to getting good edges on the junk knives I bought to practice with.

I know Murray Carter gets some love in this thread but I can't recommend his Blade Sharpening Fundamentals enough. He spends 10 minutes going over his 7-step system at a high level, then another 2 hours and 40 minutes talking in exhaustive detail about each step, going over his sharpening setup and what he likes about it, blade performance, sharpening gadgets and their drawbacks. This guy is awesome to listen to and that video is an digital download if you wish to check it out. The bit I found most important is actually also on a clip on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1o70tMHYM

The 3-finger test of edge sharpness is something that I'm finally starting to master as I pick up any knife, and get a sense for what shape it's in. Very helpful while I was sharpening my sad steel today and should prove to be helpful as I spend more time with my blades.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So I'm considering picking up a dedicated prep/vegetable knife. Been looking at japanese steel, but I don't really know what's good for prep. I would likely sharpen it on my waterstone at least once a week, if that changes anything.

Any recommendations for a preferably sub-$100 japanese prep knife?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

So I'm considering picking up a dedicated prep/vegetable knife. Been looking at japanese steel, but I don't really know what's good for prep. I would likely sharpen it on my waterstone at least once a week, if that changes anything.

Any recommendations for a preferably sub-$100 japanese prep knife?

for 100% purely vegetable use you will want a nakiri.

In stainless land you can't go wrong with the Tojiro DP http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpna16.html

There is also the Tojiro ITK shirogami http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html which will be a bit fussier in terms of upkeep but will be able to hold a keener edge.

This one also looks pretty great http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mu16na.html
it is blue steel so it will be a skosh fussier still but with even keener of an edge but a bit more brittle than shirogami. This shouldn't be a problem with vegetable only prep, though.

If I was picking for myself, I would get the Murata.

one thing to think about is what kind of knife user are you? Do you rocking chop a lot or do you mostly push/straightupanddown chop? Nakiris are more suited for the latter. if you do a lot of rocking chopping you might want to look at a gyuto.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 21, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Oh my, a 27cm 13C26 Bread Knife for $55

I mean, it's a bread knife, but it's so purty and only $5 more than a similar fibrox.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

GrAviTy84 posted:

for 100% purely vegetable use you will want a nakiri.

In stainless land you can't go wrong with the Tojiro DP http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpna16.html

There is also the Tojiro ITK shirogami http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html which will be a bit fussier in terms of upkeep but will be able to hold a keener edge.

This one also looks pretty great http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mu16na.html
it is blue steel so it will be a skosh fussier still but with even keener of an edge but a bit more brittle than shirogami. This shouldn't be a problem with vegetable only prep, though.

If I was picking for myself, I would get the Murata.

one thing to think about is what kind of knife user are you? Do you rocking chop a lot or do you mostly push/straightupanddown chop? Nakiris are more suited for the latter. if you do a lot of rocking chopping you might want to look at a gyuto.

I'm more of a rock-chopper, but it's something I'm trying to gravitate away from. How difficult is carbon steel to maintain, as someone who has only had stainless knives? I know certain things are more reactive, but I'm not sure what those things are.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I just got my first carbon steel knife, and like you, I've always been more of a rock chopper. I got a nakiri anyway. I'm actually kind of glad that I have to switch up my habits when I'm using it, because the dang thing is so sharp I'm worried I'd take my finger off with the unsafe habits I developed alongside my rock-chop. (Not because sharper knives are less safe, but because I'd be able to go so much faster than before and my motor skills probably couldn't keep up.) Having to slow down a bit and think about what I'm doing is a good thing, and processing vegetables still goes faster than before anyway.

Caring for the carbon steel so far hasn't been hard, and I'm saying this as a person who keeps poor habits with my other knives. With the SS, I'll leave them dirty because I know they'll be fine. Knowing the risk with the carbon steel keeps me attentive to its care needs. I keep a tea towel handy while I'm chopping, and wipe it off periodically while I'm working and always before I set it down (in case I don't come back to it right away), then when I'm done I wipe it with a damp towel and then wipe it dry and leave it out for a while before putting it away. It's starting to discolor but it's not rusting, and it came with instructions on how to deal if it does develop a rust spot or two.

Plus it's fucken gorgeous.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

I know certain things are more reactive, but I'm not sure what those things are.

Acidic foods like citrus, tomatoes, onions. They will emit a slight stinky sulfur smell at first when you use a carbon knife on them, but with patina it will go away.

like bombhand said, it's not hard to maintain. just keep it dry and don't use on hard foods and don't sweat it so much. Even if light rust happens it can be treated.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Alright, looks like I'll be picking up the Murata pretty soon, thanks guys!

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
I got an amazon gift card, and I would like to get a cleaver. I know that the CCK(?) Cleaver was regarded as a great one, but they don't seem to have that. Any recommendations on a cleaver sold on amazon, preferably amazon prime available, and ~25 dollars?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bombhand posted:

I just got my first carbon steel knife, and like you, I've always been more of a rock chopper. I got a nakiri anyway. I'm actually kind of glad that I have to switch up my habits when I'm using it, because the dang thing is so sharp I'm worried I'd take my finger off with the unsafe habits I developed alongside my rock-chop. (Not because sharper knives are less safe, but because I'd be able to go so much faster than before and my motor skills probably couldn't keep up.) Having to slow down a bit and think about what I'm doing is a good thing, and processing vegetables still goes faster than before anyway.

Caring for the carbon steel so far hasn't been hard, and I'm saying this as a person who keeps poor habits with my other knives. With the SS, I'll leave them dirty because I know they'll be fine. Knowing the risk with the carbon steel keeps me attentive to its care needs. I keep a tea towel handy while I'm chopping, and wipe it off periodically while I'm working and always before I set it down (in case I don't come back to it right away), then when I'm done I wipe it with a damp towel and then wipe it dry and leave it out for a while before putting it away. It's starting to discolor but it's not rusting, and it came with instructions on how to deal if it does develop a rust spot or two.

Plus it's fucken gorgeous.

You don't wash it with soap and water? What about after cutting meat?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I've been keeping tabs on this thread and over Christmas got a knife block (which makes me feel very fancy) and a 6" utility knife. Along with the utility knife I have a 6" santoku, 2 pairing knives, and whatever this is: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Giada_De_Laurentiis_branded_Mezzaluna_Knife.JPG

I have quite a few slots left in my knife block and I was wondering if there were any type of knife in particular that is missing in my collection that would be useful to have. I also picked up a nice honing steel from a consignment shop, which I was pretty excited about. Any suggestions for what I should add to my collection, with a sub $50 budget?

edit: I feel like I should have a Chef's knife, are there any good ones within my budget?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Wouldn't a serrated knife be handy?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Massasoit posted:

So I've been keeping tabs on this thread and over Christmas got a knife block (which makes me feel very fancy) and a 6" utility knife. Along with the utility knife I have a 6" santoku, 2 pairing knives, and whatever this is: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Giada_De_Laurentiis_branded_Mezzaluna_Knife.JPG

I have quite a few slots left in my knife block and I was wondering if there were any type of knife in particular that is missing in my collection that would be useful to have. I also picked up a nice honing steel from a consignment shop, which I was pretty excited about. Any suggestions for what I should add to my collection, with a sub $50 budget?

edit: I feel like I should have a Chef's knife, are there any good ones within my budget?

The Victrionox Fibrox 8" should be within your budget.

I have a 10" and it feels like a drat sword. Bigger than I thought. The 8" would be great for lots of applications and is cheap / beloved by goons.

Edit: And yeah, sounds like having a good serrated and/or bread knife would be a good pickup to complement what you have.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What are the bread knives used for other than bread? My girlfriend is gluten free, so there is never any bread around. I have seen some reference to cutting tomatoes, but I never seem to have any issues with other knives.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 26, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Massasoit posted:

What are the bread knives used for other than bread? My girlfriend is gluten free, so there is never any bread around. I have seen some reference to cutting tomatoes, but I never seem to have any issues with other knives.

I personally don't even use a bread knife for bread. My gyutos cut through it better and cleaner than any bread knife I've ever used.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

You don't wash it with soap and water? What about after cutting meat?
It's a nakiri, so I don't use it on meat.

I do sometimes wipe it with a damp soapy sponge after I'm done with it, but most times I just wipe it thoroughly with the damp towel and then dry.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

I personally don't even use a bread knife for bread. My gyutos cut through it better and cleaner than any bread knife I've ever used.

This is what Murray Carter goes on about as well--a serrated "bread knife" is about only good for bread that's fresh out of the oven, but even after it starts to cool a sharp, non-serrated blade will cut cleaner and leave fewer (no) crumbs and is just better.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
I'm trying to buy my first decent knife, and I want to make sure I'm not making a dumb mistake.

It sounds like the Tojiro DPs are highly recommended entry-level knives, so I'm looking at this 8.2" Gyutou. Gravity's Japanese knife post mentioned only really needing a ceramic rod for sharpening, so I was thinking this Lansky would do the trick.

Does this seem reasonable? Can I do better for the money here?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

_aaron posted:

I'm trying to buy my first decent knife, and I want to make sure I'm not making a dumb mistake.

It sounds like the Tojiro DPs are highly recommended entry-level knives, so I'm looking at this 8.2" Gyutou. Gravity's Japanese knife post mentioned only really needing a ceramic rod for sharpening, so I was thinking this Lansky would do the trick.

Does this seem reasonable? Can I do better for the money here?

Having gone from dull discount knives to the often-recommended victorinox fibrox, they're not a bad entry-level knife. I like mine, and you can't beat the price.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
The Victorinox is a fantastic knife, it is made of a soft stainless steel though. It will not hold the edge that the VG-10 in the Tojiro can. Let alone the fussier non stainless high carbon steels.

At almost 40 dollars retail for the Victorinox these days I would almost recommend to anyone to spend the extra 20 bucks for the Tojiro.

Practice sharpening your cheapest knives first though.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah I would definitely spend a little bit extra for the Tojiro. I mean really, most people blow $20-30 on incredibly trivial poo poo all the time, just eating/drinking out. Part of it is I also *really* do not like the handles on the Victorinox and other similar knives (lookin' at you Winco knives in restaurants :P). I have pretty small hands and those big handles are super uncomfortable for me.

In other kitchen related news, my fiancé bought me this bad boy as an engagement gift and oh lordy is it ever gorgeous in person; the fit and finish are impeccable.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I think I'll hold off a bit and get the Tojiro, it looks like a nice knife.

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran

Thoht posted:

In other kitchen related news, my fiancé bought me this bad boy as an engagement gift and oh lordy is it ever gorgeous in person; the fit and finish are impeccable.

You are a lucky person.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Anne Whateley posted:

Wouldn't a serrated knife be handy?

Only if it's a bread knife, really.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I have a small paring-sized serrated knife that I only ever use to cut heads of roasted garlic in half without crushing them. I did this a lot at work, not so much at home.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Any recommendations for a knife guard/protector/bag/thing for the Tojiro DP 8" that is Amazon Prime?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

d3rt posted:

Any recommendations for a knife guard/protector/bag/thing for the Tojiro DP 8" that is Amazon Prime?

do you want a bag, or just a guard thing for the one knife?

This would work for just the knife:
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-47302-Cutlery-BladeSafe-6-Inch/dp/B0000CFBB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391025883&sr=8-1&keywords=blade+safe

if you want a bag, you can go cheap and kinda flimsy or super posh and bougie.

cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/Winco-Compartment-Knife-Bag-Black/dp/B001RJTX9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391025979&sr=8-1&keywords=knife+bag

bougie:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Edge-2001-EDB-Deluxe/dp/B002NEGSTS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391026035&sr=8-2&keywords=knife+bag

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Get a Lanson sharp guard or whatever it's called. Plastic case that covers the whole knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cheers I'll pick up that guard.

FYI, Tojiro DP 170mm for $55 shipped http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-Tiger-Industry-F-503-Tojiro-DP/dp/B000UAPQEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391028121&sr=8-3&keywords=tojiro+dp

I just ordered one of those '2 left in stock'.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 29, 2014

• Locked thread